[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>every creature that's considered to have dragonic blood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: rwgarwg.gif (661 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
rwgarwg.gif
661 KB, 500x400
>every creature that's considered to have dragonic blood in your setting now knows Dragon Dance
What changes?
>>
>>46414364
Sorcerers now set up before spellcasting to gain a bonus to initiative.
Most dragon-touched creatures spend a turn in setup before they truly join combat. Walking piles of HP spend multiple turns setting up, then sweep adventuring parties.
>>
>>46414364
Nothing changes, why the fuck would I use a non-hitting move when I could be hitting a motherfucker?
>>
>>46414443
Because that non-hitting move multiplicatively increases your damage output, speed, initiative rating, and dexterity.

The more you spam it, the geometrically higher your damage is.
>>
>>46414443
>checkoutthispleb.jpg
>>
>>46414474
How does that help me when I gave a free hit to my opponent oh shit I fainted next pokemon now I lost initiative.

Serious question, I've never played otherwise.
>>
>>46414364
Where before there was carnage when two mighty beats sought to do battle, there is now peace, broken only by the tears of the one served by the sick moves of their betters.

Or so it looks to outsiders. In context, the loser knows that the better the dance, the better the ensuing bonus, meaning they realistically have far less chance of actually taking him
>>
>>46414556
Its the difference between the same pokemon slugging it out with the current pokemon and losing out in initiative to the next and fainting. and that pokemon instead taking a few hits, one shotting their current enemy, and one shotting the next and and potentially more. with little chance of their speed being opposed.
>>
>>46414364
I guess the BBEG figured out how to get past +6 stat stages?
>>
>>46414612
Mmm I suppose it's possible it could buff your attack high enough. This does assume you're not using many pokemon/playing the type game.
>>
>>46414630
Unaware Clefable
>>
>>46414474
It's not a geometric scaling. it goes from 1.5x, 2.0x, 2.5x, 3.0x, 3.5x, 4.0x.
Geometric would be 1.5x, 2.25x, 3.75x, 5x, 7.6x, 11.3x.

>>46414556
Competitive-level pokemon has a lot more switching and fakeouts than in-game pokemon. One of the combat archetypes is setup sweeper - something with huge attack and speed stats that learns Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Agility, or something similar. Your goal is to swap this in when your opponent's pokemon can't KO it (this may take work: things with attack stats this high usually are frail). Then you use your setup move, ideally while they're trying to switch. Then, with boosted stats, you have a solid chance at OHKOing their pokemon one after another, sweeping the opponent's team.

Usually a team will have something that stops any given setup sweeper. So a team that uses these will try to lure out and KO your opponent's counter to your sweeper, so you can later pull off a sweep. It's also very common that a sweeper does 90% damage to a wide variety of threats, and people try to use moves like Stealth Rock ahead of time for the extra 10%.
>>
>>>46414663 This does assume you're not using many pokemon/playing the type game.
It assumes you buff yourself heavily enough that you don't need to.

Your opponents type already barely matters because you have a variety of moves for coverage.
And your type isn't too important either, your damaged enough that just about anything will kill you.
But you have extremely good initiative and you hit like a truck carrying yet more trucks.
>>
>>46414556

Your logic applies to single player since computer opponents can't strategize.

In competitive multiplayer, your opponent will do things like switch pokemon when at a disadvantage, or use a pokemon as bait so you think you've got the type advantage but no all of a sudden you get wrecked by a pokemon whose sole purpose is to take down pokemon who are super effective against it.

In battles like these, those niche moves that were just a waste of time in single player become viable. If you can use them to force your opponent to waste a turn so you can Dragon Dance, it makes *much* more of a difference.
>>
>>46414791
Honestly, Dragon Dance is strong enough that using it in game is a good idea, too.
It lets you outspeed things that you otherwise wouldn't almost all the time, unless the other thing is one of the fastest shits in the game and/or you are a slug (and in that case, a second Dance usually takes care of that), and it turns reduces the number of hits you have to make on each opponent to KO by one, usually, so you're taking a hell of a lot less hits yourself
>>
>>46414681
I love shit like Unaware.

Red Card Shuckle is funnier though
>>
>>46414966
Can you Recycle a Red Card?
>>
>>46415096
Probably, but most people won't fall for it twice.
>>
>>46414443
if you need to attack more than once it doubles your damage output. think of it as a settup cost vs average time to reimburse the setup cost.

most stat moves arnt worth it, but a few (such as dragon dance) recoup their cost almost immediately. the value also stacks with amount of time spent on the battlefield and the threat factor changing your opponents strategy.
>>
File: 1458187649867.png (88 KB, 200x292) Image search: [Google]
1458187649867.png
88 KB, 200x292
>>46414556
>>
>>46414931
Dragon Dance in-game is only useful for trainer fights, and more useful the more pokemon your opponent has. The more recent games have been having fewer and fewer pokemon in enemy teams, so it's not as good in-game as it used to be.
>>
>>46414966
Weakness Policy Dragonite
>>
File: egg bird and spider friend.jpg (124 KB, 540x801) Image search: [Google]
egg bird and spider friend.jpg
124 KB, 540x801
Fairies become even more powerful.
>>
>>46415216
shit doesn't matter if I never hit them while they set up ;)

Shuckle @ Red Card
Nature: I forget
EVs: I forget
-Power Trick/Encore
>Sneaky Stones
>Sticky Web
>Gyroball/Recycle/???
>>
>>46415249
Oh, I didn't mean as a counter.

I meant as more bullshit for this team.
>>
File: 1379536620656.png (591 KB, 770x1085) Image search: [Google]
1379536620656.png
591 KB, 770x1085
I heard bulky Garchomp was hotshit recently, whys that?
>>
>>46415263
Oh, you want bullshit that's actually not bad in today's meta?

Cofagrigus. Mummy can hose azumarill, mega lop, mega cham, anyone with Guts, anything that makes much use of its ability.
also it learns snatch and trapping moves
>>
>>46415307
T H I C K
>>
File: nice.png (260 KB, 540x369) Image search: [Google]
nice.png
260 KB, 540x369
>>46415307
>>
>>46415307
lmao rockyhelmet+roughskin
>>
>>46414364
KOBOLDS WITH CAPOAIRA MUTHAFUCKA!
>>
>>46414740
is that a static +0.5 per cast?
then if a fight is supposed to run for 4 to 6 rounds, you'll cast it just once, twice if it's going to be 6 rounds (and only in this case it will be enough to reduce the fight duration by 1 round).
It's good, but more of a pre-buff, if you can swing it before charging in.
>>
>>46416051
Yeah, it is +0.5x per cast.

The duration is nebulous because it's Pokemon. It lasts until you switch or until the end of the combat. Also, pokemon combats tend to be 15 to 30 turns, but individual pokemon tend to be out only 2-4 turns at a time.

If we were converting this to 3.5 it would likely be a round per level buff, along the lines of a combined Divine Power + self-target Haste. Probably not as strong as literally smashing two of the best spells together, but still better than either in isolation. Dragon Dance is pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>46416051
>>46416787
I guess the most literal conversion to 3.5 would be to take your Strength and Dexterity scores, minus spell bonuses, and add +half to them. And it explicitly stacks with itself.

You would normally expect something like +(half strength mod) instead of +(half strength score) in D&D but the extra +5ish bonus implied by doing it this way is really in character for how this move works. It makes even below-average pokemon pretty scary.
>>
>>46416787
Could be worse.
Imagine if they decided that it needed to be buffed to match Quiver Dance when the latter was introduced.
>>
>>46416977
Moves like Geomancy, Shell Smash, and Belly Drum would be the real breakers of D&D worlds. Persisting Geomancy gets around its only drawback, for example.
>>
>>46417542
How would Funbro work in D&D?
Slowbro @ Cheri Berry
-Recycle
-Block
-Slack Off
-Heal Pulse

And now no one dies.
>>
>>46420754
Planar Shepherd, choose positive energy plane.
>>
>>46415307
Still dies to hidden power: Ice
>>
>>46415307
Statwise garchomp is tankier than swampert and about equal too skarm
>>
>>46415307

It has good resists and it makes things take 24% damage just from touching it due to Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin.

They switch Lopunny and mega evolve + Fakeout like a moron. You switch Chomp in on the fake out. Loppunny takes 24%. You use any move besides Dragon Tail. Lopunny uses HJK/Return, and takes 24%. Use Endure (most sets use Stealth Rock instead) and you will take yet another hit and live at 1 HP. You can literally have the opponent hit himself to death if you use Endure or the opponent stupidly uses ineffective moves on Garchomp.

>>46421857

It's a physical defense set, not a Blissey. 4x weak to ice is not new to dragon types.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.