[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you make an interesting Hag encounter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: images (3).jpg (25 KB, 334x441) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
25 KB, 334x441
How would you make an interesting Hag encounter?
>>
>>46412409
Make her lovable old nanny for whole town. That's it. She is not bad, not evil, not mad, just ugly and tries to help people. And sometimes she likes to eat newborn babbies, but it's price townsfolk is willing to pay.
>>
File: thfag.jpg (221 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
thfag.jpg
221 KB, 1920x1080
>>46412409
This was a pretty interesting fight.
Remove a random party member and make them get him back?
>>
>>46412409
Make them shriek stupidly and throw fireballs around with piss poor accuracy. Also wear feathers too, I guess. Why not?

Basically make lame bird women and call it a day.
>>
>>46412409
Go with a ravenloft style green hag going through the change. Local beauty of the town goes missing, followed by a few others. You could even have the hag be a player romance option before she goes missing. Players look for big bad that has kidnapped their love, along with other women. You could even throw a few fake villains and then have the players scratching their heads as the killings go on. Final fight against the now fully hag town beauty, and if you want to go for a full gut punch have the players find the newborn hag child of what ever player romanced her before. Let them weight the consequences of killing the child of one of the player characters, or letting her grow up to become a monster.
>>
File: 1450458135831.png (533 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
1450458135831.png
533 KB, 459x612
>>46412578
Not OP, butI rofl'd. I might use this,except for the baby, cause knowing my players they would keep it and try to raise a hag companion.
>>
File: 1397006626827.jpg (739 KB, 1500x2000) Image search: [Google]
1397006626827.jpg
739 KB, 1500x2000
>>46412409
Girl ask for help finding brother lost in the woods and killing bad ugly old hag, something like Hansel and Gretel style. And then pic related happens.
>>
http://www.rednovels.net/horror/Gramma/1929.html

This comes to mind. Not exactly a hag, but the general atmosphere.
>>
>>46412409
Rape
>>
>>46412612
Well, for between 24-40 years(For a human, 110-145 years for elves) it will just be a normal, if slightly promiscuous member of what ever race the father was. She will be a pain in the ass, and very unhappy about her lack of children. Hags are sterile until the change, and in most medieval settings a childless marriage is uncommon.
>>
I always liked the Skyrim-version of Hags.
Have big entourage of disciples or 3 sisters if I remember correctly.
The only time I felt a little scared/nervous when trying to sneak into their desecrated lairs.
>>
>>46412699
>Not shitting yourself at the sight and sound of Chaurus
>Not turning the TV off at the sight and sound of the flying ones
>>
>>46412409
The hag is a cannibal, but she only likes certain parts of the human body. She asks the party to bring her hair, nails, and other strange things for her to eat.
>>
Make sure the players need something from the Hag.

They could just kill her but she knows they won't because they need her help. Anything to stave off combat, for a while at least.
>>
File: Wyrd-Sisters.jpg (218 KB, 764x1082) Image search: [Google]
Wyrd-Sisters.jpg
218 KB, 764x1082
>>46412409
>>
File: Baba_Yaga2.jpg (429 KB, 792x1224) Image search: [Google]
Baba_Yaga2.jpg
429 KB, 792x1224
I'm a big fan of encounters where you have to be nice to the evil hag because making her mad is even worse. Oh, Hag-granny, welcome to the baby shower! Thank you so much for the cursed dagger and cannibal goulash, you're so thoughtful! (I mean, what do you want for your kid: a good fairy godmother and a witch who hates her, or a good fairy godmother and an EVIL fairy godmother too?)

Hags are pretty important in my game. One of the PCs is a dwarven witch (knowledge domain cleric) and sees hags as a twisted form of her own tradition.

And Baba Yaga, the queen of hags, is a major character. She was an antagonist until they managed to do her a favor and be polite and sweet to her. Now she loves them, has the rogue call her "Granny." She warns them of things, sends them presents, etc.

This is significantly creepier and more problematic than when she was just trying to kill them. The last "favor" she did for them was sending them all terrible nightmares. They had to fight their way free of the killing dreams, and in the process busted into the dreamscape of one of their NPC friends and learned that she was being mind controlled. Thanks, Baba Yaga! Thanks for forcing me to relive those years I was a prisoner of the fey, and showing all my friends!
>>
>>46412481
...sauce?
>>
>>46413002
Darkest Dungeon
>>
>>46413002
Darkest Dungeon
>>
>>46412963
>Baba Yaga
YES
>>
>>46412963
It built character.

Or it didn't and she would have eaten you alive if you made an issue of it.
>>
>>46413015
AKA the closest thing we'll have to D&D 4e in videogame form.
>>
What about Daggerfall Hags.

You've got the Gods of the setting. Your basic normal Gods of life, death, commerce and law. You can get along great with those Gods. Of course you could always make a deal with a Hag. Make a deal at a fairy ring, or stone circle, cut a deal for the chance to have an encounter with the Other Gods. Really steep asking price and you don't really know what you're getting.
>>
>>46413002
Ye, as the others said. Also it might be my GOTY for this year. It's crazy good fun, and the narrator is orgasmically good.
Wayne June is my husbando
>>
>>46413026
>>46413029

Yeah, everything she does for us now is horrible, but arguably a net positive if we don't chicken out.

Current Baba problem:

>Party druid is making a demiplane, gonna be a big deal eventually as some of the current planes are doomed
>Baba Yaga wants to visit
>with a housewarming present
>a lovely bramble vine, to plant in your garden

All the plants previously planted in the natureplane have gone hog wild in there. Not sure what will happen if we plant the witchvine, only that NOT planting it would be a grave insult to Baba.
>>
>>46412789
This. Pathfinder gives hag covens a better spell list, consider using that if you're in 3.5. The hags have a mission, or, more likely, 3 missions in the same place (white plume mountain?) and in return they'll cast vision
>> animate dead, baleful polymorph (DC 18), blight (DC 17), bestow curse (DC 17), clairaudience/clairvoyance, charm monster (DC 17), commune, control weather, dream, forcecage, mind blank, mirage arcana (DC 18), reincarnate, speak with dead, veil (DC 19), vision.
>>
>>46412481
>2 crusaders
>against the hag
What in gods name
>>
>>46412409
You should check out Curse of Strahd, it has an interesting Hag encounter in it.

A coven is kidnapping kids, grinding up their bones, then making pastries/drugs out of them.
>>
>>46413199
trust your granny, it'll turn out right in the end.
>>
>>46412409
Green hag secretly hires the heroes to get a magical macguffin from an Sea Hag. Plans to use said macguffin to curse the town she craves vengence on.
>>
>>46413305
no idea, got it off google
>>
>>46413305
Holy lance to hit back lines.
>>
>>46413436
That would explain one crusader
2 is just stupid
>>
>>46413199
you can't really compromise on things when making a new plane of existence, man. either find an epic-level illusionist to craft a fake that would trick her, or just go ahead and preemptively assassinate her ass. if you absolutely have to plant it, get someone to identify the damn thing beforehand at least.
>>
>>46412409
Ask to be made immortal.
>>
>>46413700
congratulations on having your soul trapped within an impervious dildo which she uses on her maggot-ridden vagina every day.
>>
>>46413879
Jesus christ, why boner?
>>
What do Hags eat?
>>
>>46413220

Yeah Hag Covens aren't something you mess with easily
>>
>>46414215

People
>>
>>46413461
It's more effective than you think. If one Crusader is moving forward with holy lance then one has to move back. Rinse, repeat
>>
>>46414317
Yea, but whole? What parts would a party find in a Hag's cave?
>>
>>46414452

Everything but the bones I would guess
>>
>>46414452
dicks and hearts.

they can't eat them metaphorically looking like that, so why not do it literally?
>>
>>46412409
>>46413700
Yeah, Ravel was done so well in Planescape: Torment, so that If I'd do a hag encounter, I'd probably rip her right off.
If you're actually looking for advice, here's some bullet points that could be implemented.
1. Definitely mad and evil, but how much should remain ambiguous.
2. Obviously powerful and threatening. Make the players be afraid of her. I like PS:T's approach of having her be notorious to society at large, so that the players are made aware of her and her power and evil far in advance of actually meeting her. This allows for some dread before they actually meet her.
3. Have her some attachment or interest in the characters, or some other excuse so that she doesn't kill them outright. With some persuasion, she could even help them.
4. Because of 2. and 3., the players should be very careful with their words and actions, in order to get what they want, and not die. Perhaps they'd be given the option to smoothtalk her, like in PS:T.

When I think about it, Ravel's style of Hag might actually be pretty cliché. Eh, it works.
>>
>>46414995
Also, look at all her incarnations. She has more than The Nameless One across all Bioware titles.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.