[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Pauper General: Our New Madness Overlords Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 18
File: Insolent Neonate.full.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Insolent Neonate.full.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
>MTGO Pauper Guide
https://www.cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks/archetypes for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U Control
>UB Teachings
>>
Here's a Grixis Madness list I was trying to come up with the new SOI cards, any input?

2 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Bloodfell Caves
4 Dismal Backwater

3 Mountain
5 Island
7 Swamp

2 Lightning Axe
2 Merfolk Looter
4 Faithless Looting
4 Insolent Neonate

1 Obsessive Search
4 Call to the Netherworld
4 Alms of the Vein
4 Circular Logic
4 Fiery Temper

1 Brain Gorgers
1 Grave Scrabbler
1 Gurmag Angler
2 Twins of Maurer Estate
4 Gorgon Recluse
>>
Could anyone recommend one or two pauper EDH decks for tests? I want to try my first when/if I complete it with friend but he is not really into mtg (he know the rules etc but didn't play much) so I need something with easy mechanic for him
>>
>>46398134
Go for more aggressive decks. How about Goblins and R/W Heroic?

>>46395682
Run Careful Study or Gush instead of Obssessive Search, and where's the Murderous Compulsion?
I'd also run 3 Twins of Mauren State instead of Brain Gorger.
>>
File: Ichor Slick.jpg (134 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Ichor Slick.jpg
134 KB, 480x680
>>>46395603 What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
http://tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/
It's fine to link to Goldfish too, but link here in the future ya dingus!

>>46395682
Cut 1 Terramorphic Expanse for an Evolving Wilds, just incase your opponent needs to name a card in your hand.
Swap the Lightning Axes for Chainer's Edicts, you have enough discard outlets.
Brain Gorgers is bad. 2 for a 4/2 virtual vanilla isn't worth it, and it will never be removal when you need it to be.
You don't need 4 Call to the Netherworlds and a Grave Scrabbler, you're not even Dredging.
Between all your discarding and recurrence, Dredge and Flashback should receive serious consideration.
You seem to be avoiding Tortured Existence. I feel like it would help, but you could probably do decently without it.

>>>46398209 Gush
>5 Islands
>>
>>46398296
You can always run MORE islands, anon. MORE.
>>
>>46398134
Any uncommon, or uncommon legendaries?
>>
>>46398342
Not him, but I know this one asshole that insists that pauper EDH must be played only with Joven or Chandler, those being the only common legendary creatures.
>>
>>46398342
Any uncommon I like guildmages so there is no question
>>46398394
wut?
>>
File: Basking Rootwalla.jpg (135 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Basking Rootwalla.jpg
135 KB, 480x680
>>46395682
Just realized you weren't running any Basking Rootwallas.
Cheating a 1 drop into play isn't very impressive, but you'll have plenty of opportunity to abuse 0 cost madness in the early game.

>>46398342
Any uncommon creature.
>>
>>46398209
Aren't goblins and r/w heroic standard pauper decks?
>>
>>46398587
No, but most of the cards are. Take a look t these two lists:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-02-16-boros-heroic/

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-goblins-23317#paper
>>
>>46398676
But as you see here >>46398134 I'm looking for pauper EDH decks (any uncommon creature as commander and rest cards common)
>>
I've been trying a RG Landfall deck and I'm not sure what to do with the sideboard. Probably have to add 4 Pyroblasts. Right now this is the list.

4 Adventuring Gear
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Harrow
3 Hooting Mandrills
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Makindi Sliderunner
4 Plated Geopede
4 Snapping Gnarlid
1 Teetering Peaks
4 Temur Battle Rage
4 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Valakut Predator
7 Forest
8 Mountain
4 Vines of Vastwood

4 Ancient Grudge
3 Grazing Gladehart
2 Stone Rain
1 Naturalize
3 Electrickery
2 Fog
>>
>>46398840
>no ravnica karoos
>>
>>46398437
Well there's the guildmages, obviously.
Truefire Paladin is voltron-y
There's the invasion guildmages if you feel like three color. There's also Bear's Companion, and some bad Mardu card. And Swift Warkite, Savage Ventmaw, Enduring Scalelord, and Chief of the Edge, while I'm looking up Khans block uncommons.
>>
>>46398961
Ah for the repeated landfall triggers, that makes sense. Good idea, guess I´ll add a couple Gruul Turf.
>>
File: MtG_Pauper_Madness.png (1 MB, 1082x805) Image search: [Google]
MtG_Pauper_Madness.png
1 MB, 1082x805
>>46395603
Funny you should mention, I JUST slapped this together using 3 of the 5 free tickets I got when I started MTGO. Gonna add 3 Alms of the Vein, 2 Murderous Complex and some degree of Blood Mad Vampire and Senseless Rage when they hit.
Also, inb4 >MTGO
>>
>>46398991
Yeah, I'm working on bear's companion deck right now but I need some easy deck for my friend so we can test my abomination together. I can find a lot of decks by myself but I'm not EDH expert so I don't really know if there are any "cast what you have and just go with the flow" decks for him
>>
File: FlameRift 002.jpg (796 KB, 1728x2304) Image search: [Google]
FlameRift 002.jpg
796 KB, 1728x2304
Three down, one to go.
>>
>>46399541
You're doing god's work, anon.
>>
I don't really think any common cards from SoI are going to fit into my Soul Sisters/tokens build. Nothing generates tokens well, nothing protects my tokens from hosing.

Nothing for pauper elves either, since elves are extinct on Innistrad.

Sanitarium Skeleton seems like it'll hit pauper though.
>>
I paid someone 20 bucks for 2k Commons.

They were all from the same block.

2 hours counting the same 12 cards over and over and none of them were back to back the same.

Never again.
>>
>>46398134

I play Bloodbraid Elf and Crypt Champion, my friend plays Ana Battlemage and Spellheart Chimera

All are great decks to start with
>>
>>46399449
MTGO is the best place to play pauper and the cheapest.
>>
>>46399449
>Dark Withering~Ghastly Demise, but with psuedo card advantage off of discarding.
>Fiery Temper~Lightning Bolt, but with psuedo card advantage off of discarding.
>Call to the Netherworld~Save 1 mana to recur things that won't need recurance until well after you can spare 1 mana.
>Basking Rootwalla~A solid choice in any green madness deck.
Beyond that, you're running 4 Dark Rituals, when almost everything you're casting is a 1 drop.
Is a T1 Trespasser il-Vec /that/ important?
Speaking of your mana curve, you've got 17 lands, why are you running Igneous Pouncer?
By the time you can afford to cycle it without dropping tempo you'll be topdecking.

>3 Alms of the Vein~Great card. Almost makes me want to build some sort of madness burn or sligh with Bump In The Night et al.
>2 Murderous *Compulsion~It looks like it's shit.
You /really/ seem to like psuedo card advantage off of discarding, just because you have a theme doesn't me you can't run normal card advantage.
>some degree of Blood Mad Vampire~Might be decent, though there's more attractive madness creatures in the set.
>some degree of Senseless Rage~It looks like it's shit.

>Also, inb4 >MTGO
If the cardpool schism is anything to go by, you're in the right thread. for MTGO.

>>46399541
I thought you already had 3?
Well, (59/60 -> 60/60) is great, but (56/60 - > 57/60) isn't too bad.
Or have you foiled out your sideboard, too?

>>>46400083 Sanitarium Skeleton seems like it'll hit pauper though.
It'll be a 1-2 of in Tortured for when you've already Dredged your graveyard full and want to draw a card and use Tortured Existence.
And I could possibly see other decks using it for repeated late-game chump blocking.

>>46400272
... what were you expecting??
>>
>>46400411 (cont.)
>Do spoiler tags not break greentext anymore?
>>
>>46399536
Try Blaze Commando?
>>
>>46400272
I'm sticking with MTGO. Is there a deck I can make with my 5 starting points?

Do any of the free bots carry Pauper staples?
>>
>>46400411
T1 Trespasser is a pretty strong start, all things considered. Call to the Netherworld synergises with Street Wraith and our Madness creatures pretty well to be a draw engine. I'm gonna cut a land and a Pouncer for Alms of the Vein, but I agree, Senseless Rage seems pretty shit, Bonesplitter is so much better.

I dunno, I picked a direction called BR Madness and walked, the premise being Alms + Fiery Temper + Bolt makes a fairly aggressive deck. I wish BR offered better aggressive Madness enablers, but it seems unless we go Grixis or Jund it's difficult to fit both Fiery Temper and Alms of the Vein into the deck.

Which creatures would you use over Blood Mad Vampires?
>>
>>46400630
A lot of pauper decks can be made for 2 or 3 tickets. Depends what deck you want to build.
Also there's a ton of pauper bots. I use mtgo traders for my pauper stuff, since their bots deliver it right to you instead of you needing to dig for it.
>>
File: FoilsBurn 002.jpg (826 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
FoilsBurn 002.jpg
826 KB, 2304x1728
>>46400411
>I thought you already had 3?

I've got all 4 ordered, now it's just waiting for them to arrive. Forgot to order the 60th card until earlier this week, bit pissed at myself for that.

>Or have you foiled out your sideboard, too?

Don't even have a sideboard to begin with.
>>
>>46400829
You foiled a deck, that you don't even have a sideboard for?
>>
>>>46400689 Call to the Netherworld synergises with Street Wraith and our Madness creatures pretty well
There's exactly 0 black madness creatures on that list.
>I'm gonna cut a land and a Pouncer for Alms of the Vein
Cut land now, and cut non-lands once SoI hits.

>I wish BR offered better aggressive Madness enablers
>only 3 Faithless Lootings
>no Insolent Neonates on the "to add"

>Which creatures would you use over Blood Mad Vampires?
The only other common madness creature in SoI is:
>Twins of Maurer Estate ~ 3 power kills most creatures in the format. 5 toughness dodges most damage based removal.
but if you meant good madness creatures in general, let's not forget
>Grave Scrabbler? ~ Card advantage off of psuedo card advantage off of a reasonably costed bear.

>>>46400929 You foiled a deck, that you don't even have a sideboard for?
I feel stupid for having asked about a sideboard earlier (>>46400411), what would you even sideboard in as burn?
>>
File: Gorgon Recluse.jpg (181 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Gorgon Recluse.jpg
181 KB, 480x680
>>>46401013 There's exactly 0 black madness creatures on that list.
Oh shit, speaking of which; I forgot to put Gorgon Recluse on the list of good madness creatures to add.
>>
>>46400308
>>46400566
Thank you guys, they seem very nice and clear

Also any ideas for this damn Bear's Companion? I was thinking about all "return target creature to its owner's hand" but it seems too expensive - 5 mana each turn just to cast Companion and gain 4/4 piece of meat without haste + casting returning spell is crazy. Sadly, there are pretty no common GUR cards with "exile then return to the battlefield".
Maybe casting companion and pumping this damn bear with Messenger's speed, Titan's Strength etc? But I feel like it's wasting this commander potential If she has any
>>
File: Hakodate2.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Hakodate2.png
1 MB, 1600x900
>>46400929
I own playets of all Duals, a Tabernacle and a Moat, and I only play casually.

Some might call me crazy.
>>
File: Feral Animist.jpg (189 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Feral Animist.jpg
189 KB, 480x680
>>46398134
>In addition to the normal Magic loss conditions, you can be defeated in this format by taking 21 or more points of combat damage from a single Commander over the course of the game. The Commander is tracked across zone-changes for this purpose.
>>
File: 1392874462436.jpg (115 KB, 405x488) Image search: [Google]
1392874462436.jpg
115 KB, 405x488
>>46401326
>>
I'm so broke.
I have on MTGO

Slivers, Burn,.....
The next cheapest tier 1 deck? Acid Trip? Affinity? I'm the idiot that blew 20 bucks on 6 cards that repeated 700 times each and were garbage.
>>
>>46401139
Did you catch the post in the last thread about merchant scroll, archeomancer and transmute?
>>
File: Bear's Companion.jpg (653 KB, 1920x680) Image search: [Google]
Bear's Companion.jpg
653 KB, 1920x680
Here you go.
>>46359169 >>46370396 >>46371095
And don't forget the green populate cards.

>>46398676
Not sure if I'm missing something, but I see almost no overlap.
>>
Can someone explain to me how madness works cuz im having trouble understanding it

It seems kind of like a blink effect mixed with morph in a way but I'm sure I'm also just a retard with no reading comprehension. Can someone explain it to me like I'm in 3rd grade pls
>>
>>46405076
The reminder text for madness recently got changed, but the ability works the same way it used to.
The new text is pretty self explanatory, and is explains what actually happens much better than the old reminder text.

>If you discard this card, discard it into exile.
As a static ability of the card while it is in your hand, you may put this card into exile instead of the graveyard when it gets "discarded".
>When you do, cast it for its madness cost
As a trigger ability in response to being exiled you may pay the madness cost (as an alternate cost) to cast the card from exile.
If you do, the card becomes a spell on the stack and behaves like any normal spell from then on.
>or put it into your graveyard.
If you do not pay the alternate cost the triggered ability will move the madness card from exile to your graveyard.

The reminder text does not mention it, but exiling the card is optional. You can choose to put it straight into your graveyard without getting a chance to pay it's alternate cost.
But that is only relevant when you are worried about the triggered ability getting countered which would leave the madness card stuck in exile.
>>
How is Slivers even making it 5-0? I'm trying it out now and it's a shitty aggro deck that dies to any ramp deck or removal. I don't get it?
>>
>>46406807
Vines of vastwood's a hell of a card. I don't know, anon. But slivers isn't a bad deck by any stretch. High threat density and 12 lords is a good start.
>>
>>46406807
Looking at it closer, thrill of the hunt might as well read "counter target lightning bolt" and most other removal costs 2+ meaning slivers is doing equal or better on tempo, with only 4 taplands they're better able to curve out either drop multiple threats that can snowball and/or leave mana up to threaten Vines/Thrill. Damage-based removal is huge in pauper and they can blank a lot of that, then grow too big to be dealt with by one bolt. I wonder if mutagenic growth would be worth running over Thrill.

At least that's the assumptions I make from reading the mtg goldfish list.
>>
>>46398991
Holy balls Savage Ventmaw is uncommon I never noticed it. Some serious ramp right there.
>>
>>46408002
Thanks for the reminder anon. Now I have to make another pEDH deck.

What's going on yours? I'm thinking every fireball at common, Krosan Drover and Generator Servant are good starts. Probs dragon breath and fierce empath too.
>>
>>46408071
From the top of my head: all ramp spells that cost 3 or less to get it online faster, Fireballs, big dumb hexproofers, stuff with buyback. Is there any additional combat steps at common?
>>
>>46408105
I don't think so. There are 3 red creatures that can tap to give a creature haste though, and some haste equipment.
>>
>>46398296
>Between all your discarding and recurrence, Dredge and Flashback should receive serious consideration.
Unless I go 4 colors why use Stinkweed Imp? And by flashback you mean what cards, Bump in the Night for more agressive damage or Forbidden Alchemy/Deep Analysis for card advantage?
>>
>>>46408214/>>46395682 Bump in the Night for more agressive damage
Certainly not Bump In the Night; I mentioned that upthread as a Rakdos burn (or maybe sligh?) deck idea, but it's too expensive for what your deck wants to be doing.
>Forbidden Alchemy/Deep Analysis for card advantage?
Absolutely these. Also possibly Think Twice.

Chainer's Edict, Smoldering Soot and possibly Crippling Fatigue (which honestly looks quite meh) are worth consideration as well.
>>
File: wombo combo.jpg (323 KB, 960x680) Image search: [Google]
wombo combo.jpg
323 KB, 960x680
Myr Landshaper
Gorilla Shaman

Dizzy Spell
Drift of Phantasms

Boomerang
Eye of Nowhere

Active Volcano
Icefall
Molten Rain
Plunder
Raze
Roiling Terrain
Seismic Spike
Stone Rain

I think there might be a deck somewhere in here if you squint.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>46408615
Benevolent bodyguard or something to stop your combo from dying to anything.
>>
>>46408615
Could you run it in the same shell as the mutual LD > harvest wurm/tilling treefolk deck?

Tortured existence could give it a way to recover after the creatures get bolted.
>>
To the guy asking about artifact lands in the last thread, I would run a couple. They're usually worth it unless you fear Kor Sanctifier more than Wrench Mind.
>>
>>46403839
>>46404344
Thanks - I will use it
>>
File: M15_Sample_Decks.jpg (167 KB, 1734x485) Image search: [Google]
M15_Sample_Decks.jpg
167 KB, 1734x485
There was an Anon asking about retarded formats - not really pauper but heard about few people in my town playing custom half-decks. 30 card - 1 rare, 4 uncommon and rest is common. Only one copy of each rare and uncommon per deck, 1 or 2 copy of each common if you want
>>
>>46399541
Didn't know there was a decent 4 damage to the face spell in common other than fireblast, sonic burst, and burst lightning.

Too bad that one isn't really cubeable.
>>
>>46410564
I'd play it. Mill would be laughably strong though.
>>
>>46401263
Tennis-shark best girl.
>>
Where is the Burn? It used to be in the top every week, now it's nowhere.
>>
File: 2016-04-02 19-53-25.745.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-02 19-53-25.745.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>12:00 am prerelease
Nahiri + promo westvale abbey
2-3
>16:00 pm
Jayce + Avacyn
2-0
then left cause i was a wreck. Overall would go again/10. Had a blast for my first prerelease Magic event
>>
>>46414395
Nice pulls. Going to sell them and buy a half dozen pauper decks?
>>
>>46414917
No im gonna keep em and trade them in the future. I already have a deck in mind for standard. Its not that cheap, but i can order/trade the rest of the cards i need to complete it
>>
File: FB_IMG_1454111917115.jpg (19 KB, 277x296) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1454111917115.jpg
19 KB, 277x296
>>46414395
Please keep the discussion on subject. If you're proud about your pulls post it in the standard thread.

Thank you.
>>
Don't die on my, I have to shitpost about my newbie decks
>>
File: 1459487704451.png (217 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
1459487704451.png
217 KB, 700x400
>>46416919
Paupeerrrrrrrrrrrrr
Ban Delver
Paper is too expensive
Wizards sucks.
>>
>>46395603
My experience with neonate today was so fucking positive. Fucking loove that guy!
>>
I' m not entirely sure it fits into Pauper, but I have a bunch of miscellaneous cards, no deckbuilding sense, and a desire to make a White deck.
The cards I've narrowed it down to are:
>4*Gustcloak Runner
>4*Wall of Hope
>1*Sierra Ascendant
>4*Soul Warden
>2*Spurnmage Advocate
>1*Caravan Escort
>1*Mystic Penitent
>3*Frontline Strategist
>4*Steel Wall
>2*Elite Vanguard
>4*Angelic Page
>4*Leonin Skyhunter
>2*Veteran Armorsmith
>1*Battlefield Medic
>3*Slith Ascendant
>1*Ulamog's Crusher (last seen this morning)

>1*Divine Light
>1*Hyena Umbra
>4*Unified Strike
>4*Pay No Heed
>2*Rain of Blades
>3*Piety Charm
>4*Healing Salve
>2*Awe Strike
>2*Harm's Way
>1*Razor Barrier
>1*Rhystic Shield
>4*Disenchant
>1*Roar of the Kha

>4*Spirit Link
>3*Holy Strength
>3*Guilty Conscience
>2*Kirtar's Desire
>4*Pacifism
>1*Journey to Nowhere
>1*Luminarch Ascension
>1*Cagemail
>1*Knighthood
>1*Unquestioned Authority
>1*Righteous Cause

>4*Ancient Den
>1*Explorer's Scope
>2*Dead-Iron Sledge
>1*Vorrac Battlehorns
>1*Lightning Greaves
>2*Ivory Cup
>1*Angel's Feather
>4*Sun Droplet
>4*Tanglebloom
>3*Mindstorm Crown
>1*Whispersilk Cloak
>3*Icy Manipulator
>1*Thought Prison
>1*Farsight Mask

I have other cards that didn't seem as good as these, but probably not any of the expensive ones. No mythics, very few rares (True Conviction, Lightmine Field, and a foil Kor Skyfisher are it).

Can someone give advice, or at least suggest what/how many cards to cut?
>>
>>46417510
>Hey I want to make a white deck for pauper
>Luminar Ascension
>>
>>46418997

>>46417510
>I'm not entirely sure it fits into Pauper
I don't actually play any non-kitchen table Magic; this just seemed likelier to get help from than the dead-empty general thread.
>>
>>46419704
You want help for Kitchen table or pauper?

if you want to show interest in something at LEAST read the basic format premise.
>>
>>46419889
I want help for kitchen table. I apologize for not making that clearer before.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.