[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you ever resort to lying or otherwise deliberately deceiving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
Would you ever resort to lying or otherwise deliberately deceiving your opponent in a game to gain an advantage?
>>
>>46392200
Yes.
There are many competetive games where that is completely acceptable and expected.
>>
File: photo-original.jpg (498 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
photo-original.jpg
498 KB, 1536x1152
No, never. I'm completely truthful, all the time. Also, I'm not one of Mordred's, nor am I Merlin. Just FYI.
>>
File: 2000px-Diplomacy.svg.png (510 KB, 2000x1836) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Diplomacy.svg.png
510 KB, 2000x1836
>>46392200
>>
>>46392200
Is it written I am the rules that I must always be truthful? If not, then I will try to deceive my opponent. Mind games are an integral part of many competitive games.

I would not lie to or deceive officials, or referees to win though.
>>
>>46392417
>try to lie
>player calls judge
>you get dq'd
How do you mindgame yourself out of that?
>>
>>46392200
Depends on the game and what I'm lying about. Some games permit lying, usually only in certain situations though. Others are built around the possibility of it. Others again are literally about lying.
>>
>>46392200
I would never lie or deliberately deceive my opponent in a card game, which is what I assume you are talking about in a /tg/ context.

I say this, because if you lie or deliberately deceive someone in a card game, you traditionally get stabbed or shot to death for being a dirty cheat, and then your body fed to the pigs.
>>
>>46392200
depends on a bunch of factors, but short answer is: yes
>>
>>46392200
>look image
>who the fuck is this
>see YGO on background and proceed to google
>disgunnabegud.jpg
So the dude asked other player to side some card out of their decks as "gentlemans agree".
Opponent does but he does not and people were upset because he lied but did not break rules.
YGO audience errybody
>>
>>46392200
Yes.

Let's get the next question from someone who isn't an idiot.
>>
>>46392688
I think the best part was that he did, in fact, side out the card they agreed to get rid of, then proceeded to side two more copies in.

Then he lost anyway.
>>
I lie, but it's usually obvious lies that anyone with an of common sense will see through, and it's never about the rules.

An example I go to is once when I was playing YGO, I was struggling with field presence so I used an effect to search Mirror Force and set it to deter attacks. The opponent blatantly saw me do this. When they asked me what card I had set however, I told them that it was Embodiment of Apopis or something. They attacked, and got upset when I flipped Mirror Force even when they knew I'd just searched the card.

I wasn't trying to deceive, I was just talking nonsense because I thought I'd lost.

>>46392688
Personally I don't think it would have even been notable if the guy wasn't already a fairly big name. YGO community loves its drama.
>>
>>46392796
So he played dirty, but still got outskilled? Pathetic.
>>
>>46392662
>because if you lie or deliberately deceive someone in a card game, you traditionally get stabbed or shot to death for being a dirty cheat,
>what is bluffing the post
>>
I hadn't played 40k for about 5 years, and I had an intro game a couple of months ago, a player volunteer, asked by the manager.

a 750 point game and this guy was trying to curb stomp me for some reason, he was also getting mad he had to explain the rules... in an intro game.

Anyway, his armies commander got drilled in the face by a Skitarii... long sniper rifle, I forget the name, and he rolled to save.

The dice bounced behind a building, but through a window on the ground floor of the building I saw it was a 1

>"aaaand it saves"
Really?
>"yep"
That was lucky
>"yep, any other shooting"

As it was an intro game I didn't really give a shit but how fucking sad...
>>
>>46393192
anon, if I lie about when cards are going into and out of my hand, I'm gonna get stabbed.
Yugioh is high stakes.
>>
>>46392200
All is fair in love and war.

*Tips fedora*
>>
File: Alph-Legion-Contemptor-5.jpg (141 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
Alph-Legion-Contemptor-5.jpg
141 KB, 800x680
>>46392200
I once spent two weeks trash talking a friend about how hard my new Alpha Legion army was going to wreck his Marines. Just constantly building up how unstoppable my army was with the full might of CSM 3.5 behind it. On the day of the game he showed up pimped to the hilt to wipe out marines, and I showed up with an Imperial Guard army.
>>
>>46393375
It wouldn't have been funny if it wasn't Alpha Legion, but 8/10 made me laugh
>>
>>46392200
>Would you ever resort to lying or otherwise deliberately deceiving your opponent in a game to gain an advantage?
No, that would be dishonorable...
you fucking heard me.
>>
File: 1410580506432.jpg (20 KB, 296x341) Image search: [Google]
1410580506432.jpg
20 KB, 296x341
>>46392796
>Then he lost anyway.

He should just play sudoku instead of yugioh.
>>
>>46392523
Mister cardgiveeeeer!! Anon is bluffing!! I'm sure he has not something better than full house!!
>>
>>46392200
I'll play mindgames, but I won't outright cheat. If there are any real stakes to a game there's probably measures in place to catch you cheating, and if there aren't stakes then there's no point and you're just being a cunt.

>>46392796
If you cheat and you lose, you deserve any punishment you get. How does someone manage to get that shit?
>>
>>46392200
At one point, during a campaign, I was bamboozling so hard even the game master lost track of what was true and not. I was forbidden from talking when not addressed
>>
>>46392662
Do you eat the pigs eventually?
>>
>>46393480
Shut up, Mike. Nobody wants your sanctimonious shit in a game we play for fucking fun.
>>
>>46393832
SOMEbody does.
Eventually
Either the circle of life or the invisible hand of capitalism will assure that.
>>
>>46393833
>in a game we play for fucking fun.
once you resort to lying and cheating, it's obvious you're not playing to have fun, your playing to win, and taking shit WAY too seriously.
>>
>>46393968
I am firmly on the don't-lie-cheat-steal thing with most games bandwagon, but I am strongly disagreeing with your idea that cheating isn't fun.

In games that allow cheating, I have a FUCKING BLAST with it. Like bloodbowl.
Oh man, the cheating you and a friend get up to over a game of bloodbowl.
>>
>>46393968
Nobody said anything about cheating, and deception is part of the game. Just as telling a fictional story is not a sin if you don't try to construe it as truth, using deception within the context of a game (where deception is part of the art) does not tarnish your honor.
>>
>>46393553
I think it's about lying about what a card does in a TCG
>>
>>46394101
>using deception within the context of a game (where deception is part of the art) does not tarnish your honor.
true, but that's not what happened with this guy: >>46392200
that is a completely different situation than what you are talking about.
>>
>>46394152
The only difference is that he did it more effectively than normal.
>>
>>46394184
No, he didn't do it to just have fun, he did it to win, and dishonestly at that.
>>
>>46393572
I'll outright lie in some board games. I was playing Cthulhu Wars and told my friend that I wouldn't take his territories. I'll break agreements in Risk if it means I can get an advantage. I'll tell people I won't block them in with roads in Catan.
But why cheat? If you must cheat at a game go play with tool assists on some shitty fps.
>>
This is why I dont play tcgs. Everyone gets so butthurt over mindgames.
>>
>>46392200
If it is not against the rules, yes.

I also have kind of a disdain for it being against the rules, if by deceiving you're referring to faking distress/confidence, lying through your teeth about your position, etc. As opposed to say, stacking a card deck, faking rolls, other blatant cheating.

In competitive MTG I once had a frequent opponent (who through a mixture of luck and skill, I'd beaten nine times running) who had me on the ropes throw down his hand, concede the match and storm off cursing about how it was bullshit and just luck that I always won, etc etc.

He had a good hand and dominate board position, I had three lands and fuck all on the board. I just have resting bitch face and refuse to make any expression at all while playing.

Playing mind games with people is great, although that same guy did eventually threaten to kill me over MTG after I beat him a few more times consecutively so idk, don't be a pacifist if you're going to do that.
>>
>>46393195
Why didn't you ask to see the die? Not calling cheaters out reinforces the idea that they can cheat, just letting them run all over some other guy another time
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.