[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good Wargames, ignoring models
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Epic_1280.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1551) Image search: [Google]
Epic_1280.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1551
miniatures are expensive. are there any good sci-fi wargames out there, scale of 40k (but i'd also like to hear about smaller scale), with either cheap models or easy to proxy yourself? indy or bigtime, whatever.

>pic related sort of, except last time i checked the brikwars rules was kind of a clusterfuck.
>>
File: 1435265469989.jpg (43 KB, 680x544) Image search: [Google]
1435265469989.jpg
43 KB, 680x544
>>46389217
>>pic related sort of, except last time i checked the brikwars rules was kind of a clusterfuck.
Well Mike's working on it, but it'd be nice if he DIDN'T BAN THE PEOPLE DISCUSSING THE RULES WITH HIM FOR PERCEIVED LIFE FLAWS!!!
>>
>>46389217
bump.

there's like a million homebrew RPGs, am i crazy for believing there's the same in wargames?
>>
>>46389493
Unfortunately, homebrew wargame making often requires making models for the game too, so their aren't so many.
>>
>>46389217

>Proxy yourself

that's pretty much every wargame, Anon. As long as you and your opponent are cool with counts-as, then use stuff you already own.

Alternatively, go scrounge up a bunch of old warzone/combat zone minis off of ebay, grab some bitz and superglue, and go nuts.
>>
>>46389217
There was this one game about warfare in african countries, used the smaller toy soldiers, those that fit with historic tank models.
It was called AK47 republic or something like that.
Never played it, saw a few threads with mixed opinions, though it seemed like fun.
>>
infinity has a pretty solid rule set, you really wouldn't lose anything by making paper or cardboard tokens. A lot of people use papercraft terrain anyhow.
>>
>>46389282
Don't bring your drama here, dude. there's no fucking point.
>>
Stargrunt2 is pretty good.

Rules are free and you can use any kind of modern or sci fi soldier models.
>>
Battletech. Four minis per side is equivalent to a 3000 point 40k match, lore is anywhere from okay to fantastic. Its a long war of attrition to kill a mech.

What I appreciate most is how thoroughly the game has been fleshed out. There are hundreds of mech designs, the technology has very little space-voodoo bullshit explanations. Supplemental books cover a lot of detail that has no bearings on the gameplay.
>>
File: 1458916831658.jpg (314 KB, 1280x1480) Image search: [Google]
1458916831658.jpg
314 KB, 1280x1480
>>46389217

You might want to check out Mobile Frame Zero

I notice that posted the Brickwars art - know that MF0 is a hell of a lot better than that.

There's also a newer variant in development called Intercept Orbit which moves the setting into armada-scale space fleet engagements.
>>
>>46389217

Search Nordic Weasel Games on drivethrurpg/wargamevault

Five Core 2nd edition + Five Parsecs From Home is awesome.

Clash On The Fringe for bigger scale.

Get minis from anywhere. I suggest looking at 15mm SciFi minis for easily affordable armies
>>
>>46389217
If you don't mind small scales and want a genuinely good game with plenty of second hand minis, proxies and alternatives available, you really can't go wrong with Netepic Armageddon.

It's a very solid, balanced 6mm sci-fi rules set with everything from infantry to fuckhuge warmachines and orbital bombardment.
>>
>>46391644
Whiteagle/ NiceDaemonette is having a really hard time being unable to namefag today.
>>
>>46393989
>know that MF0 is a hell of a lot better than that.
Pfff, no.
MF0 has a real issue with it's actual game mechanics.
One Ranged weapon, one Artillery Weapon, and two Spotting Dice win the game over everything except sometimes speed melee builds...

>>46394911
>Whiteagle/ NiceDaemonette is having a really hard time being unable to namefag today.
Not really.
>>
>>46395860
>MF0 has a real issue with it's actual game mechanics.
>One Ranged weapon, one Artillery Weapon, and two Spotting Dice win the game over everything except sometimes speed melee builds...

It's a pretty trivial matter to adjust or tone down spotting. The rulebook goes over a number of such possibilities and their ramifications.

Even if you don't tweak anything, it's a better game than brickwars. Intercept Orbit is shaping up nicely as well.
>>
>>46396119
>Even if you don't tweak anything, it's a better game than brickwars.
Yeah... no.
It's limited to skirmish size only, requires a large number of particular Lego Elements to function, and almost completely boils down to rolling opposing dice pools.

>Intercept Orbit is shaping up nicely
Perhaps, especially if it's anything like the old Brikwars Micro Space.
>>
>>46389217
but lego minis are expensive as fuck.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.