[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hbg/ - Homebrew General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 10
File: 1459391773546.png (96 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1459391773546.png
96 KB, 720x480
What are you working on, /tg/?
Settings, systems, classes, etc.
Post it so some other anons can [s]talk shit about it[/s] help you improve it!
>>
>>46387692
I'm still working on Ops and Tactics.

Doing the final work to blend in some of the variant rules into the core mechanics because some f them are necessary.
>>
File: Basic Rules.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Basic Rules.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46387692
>>46376072
Been working on a homebrew wargame system which I plan on using for a steampunk wargame. Basic rules attached
>>
>>46387719
Describe it.
>>
>>46387799
Still very basic. Even taking that into account, the shooting resolution idea needs to be cleared up, about the interaction the Burst stat has.
>>
>>46388166
Cleaned it up. Is there anything that else that it needs to be playable, aside from armies/unit-specific rules?
>>
I'm working on a system where every character option (called a Step) is a cluster of combat abilities, adventuring abilities, social abilities, and plot hooks. So you can take a step in Paladin Of Freedom, which has all the usual stuff you might expect, but also the magical ability to know where all the prisoners and slaves are in every town you enter, so the GM can use you to summon plot hooks. Or if the villain kills your character's dad, you can take a step in Quest For Revenge, which is obviously plot stuff, but you'll get roughly the same amount of combat bonuses out of it as anything else. Or you can take a step in finding a magic sword, that's fine too. All of these plots have natural, branching followups, which form a Path.

Character classes are just suggested paths that go well together, but they still exist. I have a bunch that work as cleanly as the Paladin, but I'm still having trouble with the Fighter and Rogue archetypes. I need to figure out a matching between different mechanical themes of these guys, and different character arc cliches. It's inherently going to be a little bit arbitrary, but it still has to feel good.

That's physical archetypes like: Defensive bulwark fighter, total smashy brute fighter, fencing fighter who stands on things, acrobatic rogue like Aladdin, stealthy rogue, fast-talking rogue.

And character arc cliches that often go to the main character: Restoring the family's honor, trying to prove themselves to the world, wanderlust, obligated to protect another character, etc.

If anyone has specific cliche/combat matchings they like (especially outside of this list) I'd love to hear them.
>>
>>46388298
Probably one of my favorite unconventional fighting style would probably be combat teleportation, i.e. using teleportation to dodge enemy attacks and strike enemies from unexpected angles.
>>
>>46388217
Its in a playable enough state, when forces are added of course, to start refining it and building it up.
>>
>>46388409
Fucking Eliotropes.
>>
>>46388417
I haven't entirely decided what the factions are going to be, but I'm thinking of having highly mobile, airborne sky pirates in zeppelins, your standard feudal armies with commanders who studied at the Imperial Guard School of Combat Strategies, and probably mole people. Don't know what to add besides those three.
>>
Might as well throw my name on and post my homebrew in a minute.

>>46388532
I try to aim for 4 factions to start with on a project, with the end goal to shoot for 7 or 8 in total, after they are fleshed out. Big thing I've seen is make sure they are nicely fleshed out before adding more. Its disheartening to find out, after seeing a game featuring close to a dozen factions, that most are only two or three entries. Unless they are mercs, make sure you can field a reasonable force of them alone, even if the faction system is arbitrary. Some people like solid themes.

That said, look at the standard depictions in steampunk, as well as actual Victorian era cultures, for inspiration. Even simple things like national differences could be enough to get the juices rolling. Also consider what play-styles you'd like to cover, that can also give you ideas for factions or fleshing ones out.
>>
>>46388457
I have no idea what those are.
>>
>>46388592
Ok, I've decided on my 4 starting factions, and some backstory:

It's an alternate history that split from ours at the point where the Roman Empire started to decline. A number of scholars notice the decline, and foresee the collapse of the Empire within a few centuries. They decide to carry all the technologies and sophistication that they can to cultures that the Empire will never be able to reach, and do their best to civilize them. Most fail, but a few manage to succeed, primarily in Scandinavia, the Mongolian Steppe, and Japan. While the Empire continues to decline, these three countries rise, and continue to discover and invent. By the time that central and western Europeans discover ancient Arabian translations of even older Roman and Greek texts, each of the three heirs to the empire has turned to a different branch of technology.

The Scandinavians have discovered and become proficient in the Tesla-style use of electricity and lightning, inspired by legends of Thor.

The Mongols have turned to using steam to power great machines, taking entire cities and mounting them on giant tracks, after their last domesticated horses died off from disease.

Finally, the Japanese have turned to diesel power, using their technology to enhance the abilities of humanity, in the form of giant, diesel powered suits that act as an extension of the wearer, in their belief that a single skilled warrior should be a match for an entire army of the unskilled.
(1/2+)
>>
>>46389916
Part 2/3

Each of these factions have stories of ancient Rome, twisted until it seemed that it was a literal heaven on Earth, and its ruins filled with gold and ancient, wondrous technology. Over time, each of the three factions decides to move in on the fabled city. The Japanese move in first, destroying many European kingdoms on the way, including a fledgling kingdom in the Alps which had discovered a massive deposit of hydrogen under their kingdom a century, and found out about its lighter-than-air properties in the last few decades. This lead to the development of airships, which warned the kingdom of the encroaching threat when the Japanese approached. This lead to the leadership and most of the military abandoning the country and leaving by airship when it became apparent that the enemy was unstoppable. The remnants of the country became pirates and raiders, using their airships to remain out of range of counter attacks. Tales have it that the base of these "Sky Pirates" is somewhere in the Pyrenees, and only reachable by airship.

The Mongols were the second to move on Rome, moving their cities as close as possible to Rome, destroying everything in the way. This stopped when they encountered the Alps, which they could not risk taking their cities into, preventing them from reaching their goal.

Meanwhile, the Scandinavians where alerted to the existence of the Mongols, and their progress towards Rome by the massive destruction on the borders of their territory. They quickly concluded that the Mongols were headed for Rome, and decided to move on it themselves. The Japanese became aware of the intrusion on their claim, and launched offensives against both intruders. This is approximately were the story would be in the game.
>>
>>46390058
Part 3/3

Also, factional gameplay styles:
Scandinavians: Medium speed, strength and toughness, good at ranged and melee.
Mongols: Fast, ranged, have a few units that can deal damage in CC, but their entire army tanks like a sheet paper, use large numbers.
Japanese: Moderately fast, quite tanky, terrifying in melee, hit like a train, have only 1/5 of the units an average army would.
Sky Pirates: Average strength, toughness, are slow on foot, but can use airships for rapid transport and bombing, get additional points for dragging salvage off battle.
>>
>>46389916
>>46390058
>>46390065
Bumping so that someone actually reads this shit.
>>
>>46388042

www.opsandtactics.com

>Describe it

Operators Operating Operationally. More guns than you know what to do with. More upgrades than you know what to do with.

Magic doesn't suck, Psionicis doesn't suck.

All this from a shell of D20 Modern, where very little was actually kept.

Action point combat system instead of the "One (Blank) a turn)", allowing you to make multiple attacks per turn, and have more freedom on how you execute moves.
>>
>>46390433
Bump while I read that.
>>
>>46389916
>Tesla vikings
Yes.
>>
...did we stop using "Game Design General" or something?
>>
>>46395743
I think it was just this thread's OP didn't get the memo or something.
>>
File: dotp_expansion-symbol.jpg (36 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
dotp_expansion-symbol.jpg
36 KB, 360x360
>>46387692
>What are you working on, /tg/?
A system and generator for MtG SI wish fulfillment bullshit. Because if I'm going to go full-on autist fantasy world, it's going to be consistent and grounded in good practice. The easy part is how players doing things works. The hard part is the procedural setting generator. Features include:

※ Magic Systems
Schools of magic have Domains, Phyla, and Orders which describe the sources, techniques, and results of different magical philosophies. (On THIS plane, they cast fireball via ritual flute dance!)

※ Planar Harmonics
Which explain why magic is done differently on different planes, and alters how easy it is to do magic on a plane. (Now with 20% more linear algebra!)

※ Complex Encounters
Factors include planar harmonics, plane type, societal level, conflict sources, proximity factors, history, and action modifiers. (Because sometimes there IS a minotaur tribe in the subway.)

※ Socio-Political Civilization Generators
[UNDER CONSTRUCTION]

※ Inter-Planar Merchantry
Figure how much a laser blaster is worth to a bandit king. Or, for when you have access to a supermarket in plane Y, and feel like selling salt for its weight in gold in plane Z.

※ Time Dilation
Let's see, Plane A is 0.25, Plane B is 1.37... So when you return home, your half-elf children are approaching senility.

※ Waifus
So many waifus. And you're going to end up leaving them, potentially forever, since every trip into the Blind Eternities means a chance of death or getting lost in infinity, and you'll eventually realize how transient and easy to abandon all plane-bound relationships are, and the only person who could understand you, after all you've seen is another planeswalker, but ignited planeswalkers are rarer than toad tits, so you become a bitter, cold person who hides his loneliness behind a laugh.
>>
>>46395743
I hope so. I want to be able to search the catalog for "homebrew" and get what I'm looking for. Usually there's a couple false hits, but "design" has like a dozen.
>>
>>46395743
>>46395959
I also prefer /hbg/ to /gdg/. Not that its necessarily mattered much since I haven't been doing either recently.
>>
>>46396366
Why not search for "game design" or "gdg"?
>>
>>46396366
>>46396436
There's nothing wrong with putting "formerly Homebrew General - /hbg/" in the OP. Though either name will still die early nonetheless if no actual discussion happens.
>>
File: Hellsgate v0.27.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Hellsgate v0.27.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Throwing up the semi-latest version of Hellsgate. I've worked the morale system, but just been too lazy to go through and update all the stats.
>>
File: 11513513.gif (308 KB, 400x270) Image search: [Google]
11513513.gif
308 KB, 400x270
Hey /gdg/ - /homebrew/ - /whateverthefuckthisthreadwantstocallitselfthisweekend/. How do you feel about character traits?

I've been spending some time writing a list of traits in the most broad manner possible for the system that I'm making. The idea being that players would have to chose or roll for at least two of them on character creation which would dictate how their characters would generally be acting. Shit like Prideful, Honorable/Chivalrous, Lazy, Careful/Meticulous, Selfish, Artsy/Dramatic, Arrogant/Pretentious, Greedy, Shy, Quick-Tempered/Irritable, etc.

I thought this could be a neat way to encourage role-playing and make characters feel more like characters, but the more I thought about it the more it started to feel like a terrible idea.
>>
>>46401731
It depends on how invested you want players to be in their characters. Some players want total control over their character - they see their special snowflake as the protagonist of their own story, and expect that investment in their character to keep paying off over multiple sessions.
While randomly selected character traits can help a less decisive role-player along, others may resent being told what to do with their character. This kind of system, then, works best when players understand that becoming emotionally invested in their character is foolish. Beer and pretzel games, or games where players understand their characters will likely be replaced over the course of the game, can make use of this system, but I'd make it optional for a system intended to be used over multiple sessions with the same characters.
>>
>>46402001
Well, the goal in the first place was to make players care more about their characters by giving them more of a unique sense of identity. Rolling randomly isn't enforced rather than an option and the big list of traits is more of a suggestion than anything.
However I can totally see this kind of thing becoming excruciating to maintain after a few sessions which is why I'm probably just going to ditch the entire concept.
>>
>>46402514
One thing I've seen in a few Eastern ttrpgs is characters' personality traits and motivations being integral to gameplay. Rather than a bolted-on sub-system (or worse, extraneous detail that doesn't get used except "player inspiration"), have you considered making characters' actual characters meaningful in some way?
>>
>>46402616
Wouldn't personality traits already be integral to gameplay since they influence how you have to roleplay the character? Unless you're saying that they should have actual mechanics and crunch related to them, which frankly sounds like an infinitely worse idea.

As for making the character concepts actually matter, well, isn't that the GM and the Players' job? If not than what are you suggesting?
>>
>>46387692
I'm more or less finishing up a Dota 2 themed set for a Solomon BOO draft, but rather than just write three boosters I wrote a stack of six so the entire Solomon stack is all coherent. I have some minor template editing to do to match the original M:tG rules language, and maybe redraft a few cards in their entirety, before beginning the tedious task of writing the .xml file that would allow one to play using Cockatrice.
>>
>>46402979
I think they would really only be a thing if social interaction style "combat" was included. Most of the time, it'd better to just leave that to the players and GM.
>>
>>46387692
I am at the moment coming up on a possible release stage for my homebrew setting. Built in its own world, and loosely around some of the better/essential mechanics of Pathfinder, with roughly 4000 years worth of lore written. Not everything is in concrete final stages but here's what I have thus far.

> Setting is a Low Fantasy Setting with some necessary fantasy bits.
> Game World is in majority played around three planes: The Mortal World, the Demon Realm, and the Higher Planes.
> World is a slightly larger, Earth-like planet with a diversity of cultures, geography, and ecology.
> A good chunk of the world's history and lore revolves around the Eurasian size landmass.
> Numerous number of time period and therefore technological ages to play around in.
> Each race actually did something of value, and have a unique skill set.
> Similarly, classes are rescaled, refined for this game setting, with different subclasses.
> Currently working on making a balanced martial vs magic system
> Lots and lots of campaign story possibilities.
>>
>>46406511
>4000 years worth of lore
Fuck, man.
>>
>>46388409
Noted, but this isn't actually answering my question at all.
>>
>>46389279
One of the classes/races in Wakfu. They use portals to move and fight with.
>>
>>46387692

Wanted to get some opinions on a board game.

Each player moves a token around a clock-shaped board with twelve spaces. Every time you pass 12:00, you score points equal to the number of players still in the game! Compare points after every player has been eliminated to see who wins.

Each player has a hand of four action cards they can play on their turn:
Walk Slowly
Walk Quickly
Run
Look Behind You

There is also an Event deck in the middle of the board shared by all players.

Each player chooses an action card to play secretly. Actions are resolved simultaneously.

>Walk Slowly
Move forward one space. Reveal the top card of the Event deck and play it.

>Walk Quickly
Move forward two spaces. Reveal the top two cards of the Event deck and play them.

>Run
Move forward three spaces. Reveal the top three cards of the Event deck and play them.

>Look Behind You
You do not move forward, but you may look at the top card of the Event deck then put it back on either the top or the bottom.

9/10 of the cards in the Event deck do nothing, but the remaining 1/10 eliminate players from the game.
>>
B.U.M.P. - Bitches Underestimate My Power
>>
>>46408692
Interesting concept, but something is not sitting right with me. It feels like there is very little strategy involved. If 9/10 cards did *nothing*, there is little reason to choose either of the walking options.

Here's a suggestion. Have the other cards have positive effects, like propelling a player forward, or the ability to look at the first few cards of the deck. The player looks at the cards, and then puts them face down on the space they landed. The cards then only activate when that space is landed on again. The player who drew them will know if it's a death trap, and can bluff other players to try to land or avoid it. This will give players reason to choose to move one, two or three spaces.
>>
>>46408692
Reminds me of that one cat and mouse game where you roll a die and you move that number of spaces, but if you roll a cat it moves space, eating the mice if it lands on the same space as them. I get the feeling that you want to be a "chased by something" thing, with how you worded the actions.

One thing you could modify are the event cards. Instead of nothing happens, players could draw face down, then once everyone took their turns, simultaneously reveal everyone's cards. Cards would have a position on the board, which means anyone in that position is eliminated. Other card effects would be movement, cancelling other cards, introduce take that by moving other players, draw more cards, etc. Heck, you could make it a deckbuilder, where everyone draws event cards from their own deck, and you can buy cards into your deck by adding "position" cards as well.
>>
>>46410409

Perhaps!
I've also pondered the idea of adding (or removing?) action cards to the player's hand.

There's kind of an element of individual vs. collective survival at play.

Moving forward brings you closer to 'winning', but the speed at which you move also increases the chances that the monster-or-whatever-it-is shows up and snatches a player out of the game.
Looking behind you does nothing to move you forward, but it does give you a way to manipulate the deck so as to avoid the monster, making things easier for the other players.

Hmmm... These are the concepts I'm married to:
Each player has action cards for walking forward, running forward, and looking backward.
Players are all bound to a linear path
There is some threat pursuing the players. The threat lurks in the event deck.
Moving faster gets you to the end of your path much faster, but it also increases the risk of encountering that threat. Looking back doesn't move you forward, but it can stop the threat in its tracks.
The game's strategy should lie in knowing when to go fast, when to go slow, and when to stop.
>>
>>46410624

Good idea!

Well, there is a monster in the game. There's two ways I thought about handling the monster:
1) The monster has a token on the board that starts somewhere far behind the players' tokens and gets closer and closer when certain event cards are drawn. I feel though that representing the monster as a token on the board trivializes it a bit...
2) The monster is unseen; certain event cards simply remove players from the game if they are positioned on a certain space.Unfortunately, this doesn't give the impression of the monster actually being behind you. This diminishes the significance of the 'Look Behind You' action.
>>
>>46410733
Deckbuilding would be a pretty neat implementation I think, though that's partially because I love the genre. The increasing amount of "position cards" will eventually be quite stressful, especially since you reveal everyone's cards at the same time, which could end up with everyone unintentionally playing position card for every single position on the board, killing everyone. "Look behind you" could be looking at the top few cards, discarding any position cards.

Do consider it, especially since this would be a very unique theme to use for a deckbuilder. Most are about defeating monsters, building engines, etc.
>>
>>46410927

A deckbuilding game about running away from a monster you have no chance of actually defeating?
Could be fun.

Deckbuilding games always seem to have a lot of fiddly bits. I'm interested in painting my picture with broader strokes though. Are there any minimalistic deckbuilding games you can recommend?
>>
>>46411093
Hmm, what about them do you feel is fiddly exactly?

Star Realms and Cthulhu Realms are pretty minimalistic, in the sense that the overall objective and effects of each card are pretty straightforward. Usually there's a limit of 1-2 effects per card, as well as having common effects within the same faction (e.g: yellow is all about drawing cards).

There's also Paperback, where the cards are letters, and you have to make words using the cards in your hand. Play letters a specific way to get effects.
>>
>>46411194
It's just that most of the deckbuilding games I've played have been some decadent affairs with big boxes with hundreds if not thousands of cards, multiple decks, multiple layers of resource management, etc.
Granted, games like A Study in Emerald are likely at the extreme end of the spectrum, but most of the deckbuilding games I've played have been like that. I haven't gotten to play as many simple deckbuilding games.

Ideally, I'd like my game to have as few components to it as possible.
>>
>>46411227
Ahh, I haven't played A Study in Emerald, but I do know it's probably one of the heaviest deckbuilding games there is. Star Realms, Cthulhu Realms, Paperback and Deckbuilding: A Deckbuilding Game are the most often I've seen recommended (Paperback a bit less because word game), and the first two at least come in small boxes and don't even use a board (Cthulhu Realms has a Sanity tracker board, while Star Realms just has cards for health).
>>
>>46411894

I'll check those out, thanks!

In case you were wondering, the bolt of inspiration for this idea came from playing Kanoguti Soft games recently. Particularly #319 on this page:
http://kanoguti93.web.fc2.com/soft4/index.html

I'm not looking to make a literal translation of that into tabletop format, but there are ideas in there that I like.
>>
Does anyone have a PDF of Richard Garfield's Characteristics of Games?
>>
>>46410733
Definitely the second one. Make it unseen, add to the tension.
>>
>>46419225
>>46410733

I could possibly design it both ways and test both to see which works better. If both work, I can publish them both as separate but related games.
>>
>>46419850
Always test an idea before cutting it. You never know, you may actually like it in practice, even if you don't like it on paper.
>>
Okay, simple question about CR system usability. This system is designed for really raw beginners, so put on your simplicity hats.

Look up the character levels of your players in this table to get their danger levels, and add them all together to get the party's combined danger level. For an even, tense fight, find a group of monsters with a combined danger level roughly equal to your party's. For easier fights, have less. For harder fights that run the risk of killing a player, use more.

Character Level - Danger Level
1 - 1
2 - 3
3 - 6
4 - 10
5 - 15
6 - 21
7 - 28
8 - 36
9 - 45
10 - 55

Questions:
- Is this simple enough?
- Will it make things notably more confusing if the danger level of a level 1 character is higher than 1?
>>
>>46424271
So that's the one you decided to go with? I'd say its a little more complicated than the simplest manner, but that's not always a bad thing. Its only one chart, there shouldn't be any confusion. I'd still keep level 1 a 1:1 thing, though, not so much that it would be confusing, but it'd feel better for the player to start on equal terms with the danger and then start feeling more powerful.
>>
>>46426057
I'm still deciding. I'm running into some problems with the idea of a linear system, since it doesn't leave room for things weaker than a level 1 character, and it makes level 2 characters twice as strong as level 1 characters.

I have alternative options in mind like "people start at level 3" or "monster levels are two lower than player levels" but these are weird. I'd be tempted to solve any of these with a table as well.

If it has to get to the point of actually using a table, I'm not sure it matters what function is actually in the thing. I can tweak that fairly freely and just get on with it.
>>
>>46426430
Yeah, that's the nice thing about charts, you can fudge things a bit.
>>
>>46430336
Why do people bump these threads with no text instead of answering one of the questions immediately above them?
>>
>>46430672
Because bumps always come during page 10 and forming a proper reply would take long enough for the thread to die.
>>
>>46395164
Yes! Would play no other faction.
>>
>>46390065
>>46395164
>>46431719
Opinions on the other 3 factions?
Oh, and I have a name now.
>>
>>46432217
Sky Pirates as a name for the faction doesn't feel quite right, especially since the other factions use their not!country names. Though I guess you'll be giving them proper names later. Maybe it could be Avalon or something for the pirates.

Scandinavians and Mongolians don't really have a proper playstyle compared to the Japanese (tough tanky units) and Pirates (airships to move quickly in amd out). Maybe the Mongolians could be about setting up tracks to move their base into the field, making it easier for them to deploy units. Scandinavians have that Tesla thing I guess, you'll have find a way to make it relevant to their playstyle.
>>
>>46432820
For the Scandinavians, the playstyle was going to be passive AoE buffs to allies/debuffs to enemies (think overcharging everything in a certain radius, except that their soldiers can take it and the enemy can't), and attacks that can stun enemies and make them easier to kill in melee.

The plan for the Mongolians was to have lots of cheap, range focused units, and some average priced fast bikes and light tanks that need regular resupplying from much larger, slower bases.

Also, on your advice, sky pirates are now 'Prussian Remnants'
>>
>>46433387
Seems odd for a ranged focused faction to also be mobile, but thinking about it further it might not be completely implausible. Combine that with paper thin defenses, then positioning and strategy would probably be most important to them.
>>
>>46434501
Not that odd. That was the shtick for the Wood Elves in Warhammer. Most games just try to avoid it, since its difficult to balance.
>>
File: 71484932821023.569528bde5f3d.jpg (97 KB, 722x1022) Image search: [Google]
71484932821023.569528bde5f3d.jpg
97 KB, 722x1022
What is best in life:

>dice pool
Players roll a number of d6 equal to their ability modifier/score/whatever, i.e. rolling 3d6

>2d6+modifier
Players roll 2d6 and add the appropriate modifier/score/whatever, i.e. rolling 2d6+3
>>
>>46437205
Dice pools are a different mechanic than that, you're just thinking of Xd6

But anything where all the modifiers are full dice is a small win over systems where you add a constant. It makes the game ever so slightly faster and prevents a small flaw in the excitement curve. (Getting snakeeyes on a 2d6 feels bad but if you have a +20 modifier it doesn't matter. You want people's emotional response to the dice to map better to the actual in-game result.)
>>
>>46437519
>Dice pools are a different mechanic
What is it then? Just curious.

Think I'll take your advice and stick to "dice pool" for now, I'm just concerned by how many dice will need to be rolled for each check.
>>
>>46387692

I'm still working on the Endtown RPG. Just had to give finished orders for the artists. It's all page count and editing from here.

I feel honored to have worked with those guys.
>>
File: Arnold_J._Rimmer.jpg (46 KB, 562x478) Image search: [Google]
Arnold_J._Rimmer.jpg
46 KB, 562x478
>>46401731

I think they should be necessary and contradictory whenever possible. Pic related.
>>
>>46437806
A dice pool is a system where the individual values of dice matter.

For example, the most common dice pool system is something like Xd6, 4+ is a success, this task takes Y successes to complete.
>>
So, in a cardgame, what are your thoughts on resource cards that could also be put onto other cards to help them function?

For example, say you have "Manpower" resource cards. You also have unit cards, maybe an artillery unit. To play the artillery unit you would need another resource, but once it is out, you can put the manpower resources on it so that it can attack, essentially making it "manned"
>>
>>46440372
Could prove interesting if:
1. Units activate effects that are worth the cost of being manned + other resources.
2. There are other benefits to 'manpower' other than being another resource. Something that would make it hard to just remove the cards, replace them with meeples, and still have a coherent game. Though technically such a game using meeples would be called worker placements I guess.
>>
>>46440372
That sounds like it would work, yeah. How would you balance how much manpower and the other resources are available to the players at any one given time.
>>
>>46440853
>1. Units activate effects that are worth the cost of being manned + other resources.

Haven't gotten far enough into the game to even begin working on ideas like that, but that thought has crossed my mind.

>2. There are other benefits to 'manpower' other than being another resource. Something that would make it hard to just remove the cards, replace them with meeples, and still have a coherent game. Though technically such a game using meeples would be called worker placements I guess.

Well, they are drawn from a separate deck that is used solely for resource cards, so that might be difficult to do with meeples.
>>
>>46440914
>How would you balance how much manpower and the other resources are available to the players at any one given time.

The idea right now is that there are three types of resources. Each player has a 12 card resource deck that they can configure however they want,based on their deck makeup and needs.
>>
>>46440372

Sound cool. I imagine decks could be full of cards that require fewer resources or decks going full yugioh and need the right card but be full of resource cards for your it.

Would there me many different kinds of resources? I'd think that would be rough.
>>
Fuck, this is an expensive hobby to have. $50 an hour for fucking artwork? And at least some of the artwork would need to be done before a Kickstarter campaign, so I guess I need to go rob a fucking bank in order to beg people for money. How in the hell does anyone ever do this shit? Have connections with people that will work for a reduced price or something?
>>
>>46442463
That "Got to spend money to make money" line is no joke. You have to spend plenty of your own money before you see any back. There's also business loans.
>>
>>46442554
I understand that, but you have retarded art school dropouts who will take 10 hours to create your fucking logo. At $50 an hours that's $500! For a logo! And then you see Kickstarters with goals of only $3000-$5000 and you realize that this isn't an industry for people with know-how or passion, it's an industry for people with artistic friends who will work for next to nothing.

Things like shipping and printing I understand, but the price for art is ridiculous and inflated by people trying to make ends meet after realizing their art degree is worthless in the real world.
>>
>>46442874
Sounds like you should take some of that passion and get the know-how to learn how to paint.
>>
>>46443039
It's not my job to paint, and if you will read what I posted, I'm not against paying for artwork. I just don't understand paying an artist the same hourly rate as a fucking judge.

http://advice.careerbuilder.com/posts/10-jobs-that-pay-50-an-hour
>>
>>46443214
Maybe you're undervalueing artists.
>>
Does anyone know how expensive making plastic miniatures is?
>>
>>46443214
>>46442874

Try getting them on a straight fee or commission.

It's a mental thing I think with artists. Gotta give them limits to work within. Give them a price, give them a due date, and kick their ass off the project if they don't meet it.
>>
>>46442874
It was an industry built on artists that couldn't make it anywhere else. Look at most 70's and 80's designs and illustrations, they were not technically good.

Don't look for anyone that charges hourly rate, that's studio artists, people that you want to keep around. Look for artists that charge by commission of each piece. They are usually not as good, but its a lot more affordable.
>>
>>46442463

Holy shit don't pay by the hour. Just ask the artist how much they want and work from there.

Remember, you're doing 99% of the work here.
>>
File: olaf_the_troll_by_bridge_troll.jpg (67 KB, 450x640) Image search: [Google]
olaf_the_troll_by_bridge_troll.jpg
67 KB, 450x640
>>46387692
>What are you working on, /tg/?
A playable race of trolls for DnD 5e, meant to stick closer to Scandinavian folklore than DnD's MM trolls.

Link to doc in progress:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VjJXhfz1aClIpYf8hZiivDQsaJiQVdL7VLrTjFZHbE8/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone is well-versed in troll folklore, could you suggest changes/fixes/flavor?

Obviously also suggest mechanical and balance fixes if I've fucked up.
>>
>>46445952
The disadvantage on attack rolls in sunlight is pretty brutal.

The heavy handed ability seems a bit out of place, what was your goal with that? Only the mountain troll has a strength bonus, and it'd probably fit them better.
>>
>>46446093
Yeah, sunlight sensitivity is copied directly from Drow, I figured it fit a subterranean race, but it is a pretty big debuff (which Drow desperately need).

The idea behind the heavy handed ability was to give all trolls something of an advantage in strength, equivalent to "half" a point of strength or so.

Would it be better to switch the whole race's main ability score to Strength?
>>
>>46446210
No, the con bonus fits fairly well.
I suppose the rest of their abilities are pretty spot on though. The vulnerability is already a big penalty, given the prevalence of fire. Can't think of any other race with a vulnerability like that.

But, I'm digging the pelting proficiency, although it's weirdly counter intuitive that you do less damage with smaller rocks the higher your strength score is.

Overall, pretty decent spread. Admittedly, my Scandinavian troll lore is weak, but pretty decent all the same.
>>
>>46446210
>>46446310
A second thought occurred to me, maybe flattening out and defining weights for the rocks might be better? Like, rocks that weigh less than 20 lbs do 1d4+STR damage, 21-40 do 2d4, and 41-60 do 3d4, with the limitation on how heavy of a rock you can throw.
>>
>>46446399
>3d4 damage
That's pretty low for something that would pack a serious punch.
>>
>>46442874

Get a load of this cunt.
>>
>>46433387
As long as I don't get Cygnar clones I'll be fine.
>>
>>46448139
I know, right?

"I can't do this, so it must be easy and useless to society."
>>
>>46444298
http://www.gatekeepergaming.com/article-6-how-to-get-minis-made/
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/838422/mass-production-custom-made-miniatures
>>
>>46450441
Bookmarking, hopefully this gets added in the next /gdg/ OP.
>>
>>46442874
yeah man, its so worthless, that's why everyone who makes games wants it. and in the gaming industry you don't pay artists by the hour unless they are your employee.
>>
File: tentative_name_04_04.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
tentative_name_04_04.pdf
1 B, 486x500
New version of my game up!
This time with a name change, and a lot of reorganization.
Still very unfinished, but its getting there!
>>
So I chose Risus as simplistic light-ruled system that I wish to play with a while ago, and since then I've been homeruling the shit out of it. Risus suffers from death spiral problem in all sorts of contests, so if your hero is shittier than the challenge, there's not much you can do about it.

Now there's a "Serious Risus" which I liked, but after couple sessions I found that in prolonged combats the death spiral is still present and it's essentially useless to add more than one die as a "cliche difference" At 2 die difference there's, again, not much hope for weaker challenger. It makes sense that 2 die difference represents significant gap, but the steps are too huge! It makes all possible contests go in three categories: either too weak, game of pure chance, or too strong.

Worse than that, at "high dice" rule there's just too much chance of getting a single 6 as a result, which not only results in numerous ties, but significantly undermines any usage of permanent +x modifiers, because all these ties, (about 1/3 of all rolls on high levels), turn into victories for modified challenger.

Now I kind of got too comfy to all Risus ideas and really felt reluctant to change to Fate or whatevs, so I just figured out how to tweak it further. Stretching the cliche scale from 1-6 to 1-12 where 7 now means "reasonable professional", and have played with statistics for some time, I determined that "high dice" rule works well in prolonged battles, if all "1"s and "2"s subtract 1 point from result. It sufficiently deals with ties, and making 1-step difference about 55/45 to 60/40 chance while not turning ~10d pools into all negatives. It makes the counting fairly confusing (as if high dice rule was not confusing enough) for first timers, but is actually not hard at all once you get used to it.

I also tweaked group combat accordingly, successfully achieving "1 professional beats 5 beginners", for the sake of cinematography. If there's any demand for this, I would cont.
>>
>>46452626
>Suggestions
Demiurge: Focused on conducting spells through weapons/using magic to temporarily/permanently empower weapons

Automaton: focuses on using team mates to increase power and constructing artificial minions

Oracle: Uses magic to boost teammates' skills, see hidden things, and guide weapons/spells/bullets against their targets. Also, using illusions to distract and hinder enemies

Pankrator: Warriors who use weapons designed as an extension of the hand, like knuckledusters, skilled in punching things repeated until they die, have special attacks which pair damage and movement, like Shoryuken from Street Fighter

Puppeteer: Summons minions, can turn dead enemies into weak undead

Psychopomp: Giving Listed enemies psychological effects would fit will with folklore on banshees, which is what I'm guessing this class is based on

Sentinel: Defends teammates at any cost, gets reaction attacks against enemies that just damaged teammates.

Veteran: Gains bonuses against enemies after having killed one of that enemy in that Scene, gets bonuses to either ranged or melee weapons, but not both.

>Typos you missed
Chastity has the name "Caretaker" on the Redemption card.
Mediator has the same geas as Mentor

>Questions
How are burst and blast different?
>>
>>46453045
Try these dice rules for Risus. They're what I use for serious campaigns:
- Roll 2+Cliche dice
- Keep highest 3
- Use the total

This makes it so everyone is on the same result range, but extra dice make you more reliably able to hit the high numbers.

I don't have any particularly clever ways to avoid death spirals. I have one stupid simple way: instead of dropping dice, play best 2 of 3.
>>
>>46456235
Good ideas, thank you - with that, how do you use "teaming up" mechanic?
>>
>>46456451
I usually don't use it. Since everyone is on the same scale, it's less needed. If I was using it, all the team mates would roll their cliche in dice and hand the leader their 6s after rolling but before keeping the highest 3.

So Lancelot (Knight In Shining Armor 4), his horse (Spirited Steed 3), and his squire (Knight In Training 2) all make a combat roll.

Lancelot rolls 6 dice: 3 6 1 5 3 5
Horse rolls 3 dice: 1 6 6
Squire rolls 2 dice: 2 4

The horse hands Lancelot his two 6s, and now Lancelot has 3 6 1 5 3 5 6 6. Keeping the highest 3 (all the 6s), he gets an 18 - the highest possible roll.

Lancelot by himself would have rolled a 16 (6+5+5).
>>
Had an idea to run a fantastical Wild West setting with different races (think cactus people, skeleton sheriffs, vulture people, not-Indians, etc.), magic being uncommon and dark, unexplored regions and strange natives. And based entirely on a 54 card deck system (both jokers included) for conflict resolutions. I know, very similar to Deadlands, so trying to differentiate a bit.

The gist of it is, GM has a deck, and each player has their own deck. For each scene or round of combat, GM deals out 5 cards face up, Texas Hold Em style. If a player uses a skill, they look at their attribute and ranks in skills, the higher being the number of cards they draw, the lower being the number they can replace up to. And the difficulty determines what the player needs to get, for example an average difficulty might be two pairs.

Does this system seem viable? Maybe too slow for quick resolutions? It does make opposed checks quite easy.
>>
>>46457443

Almost forgot, joker cards act as crits, both fails and successes. If the GM draws any jokers, it acts as null cards, and if the player fails a check with a joker out, it's a critical failure. If a player draws a joker, they can't replace it, BUT if the GM has drawn a joker and the player can match it with their own, it's a critical success. Probably something that needs some refining but I'm trying to play up this aspect of luck and superstition. Probably have the face cards of each suit represent different deities to, not that I've nailed down any lore yet.
>>
>>46457443
>>46457618
That's fucking brilliant, IMO, adds a whole new level of strategy to the game.
A bit gimmicky (you'll likely want to limit a variety of cards), but it could work.
Here's my take on that in terms of dice.
>Roll Skill number of dice, can re-roll up to Ability dice, keep five
Still, it's at least novel. I'd play it.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.