[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sunless Sea/ Fallen London Lore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 500x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 500x620
Discuss the stories. Discuss the setting. Discuss the secrets.
And who is the best Neathy waifu/husbando?
>>
Anyone?
>>
I've played sunless sea. desu i feel like a problem it has it that most of the weirdness is quite clearly weirdness for weirdness' sake, rather than actually meaning anything.
>>
>>46380593
What's your favorite creature concept?
>>
File: YkpzYeC.jpg (646 KB, 1611x1998) Image search: [Google]
YkpzYeC.jpg
646 KB, 1611x1998
>>46380055
Sorry anon. Sunless Sea is a fun game, and the setting works pretty well in that because it just gives you a glimpse of madness. However, all the history mentioned in the game just seems like painful cog-wank. It reminds me of a lesser quality Dr. Grordbort.

It's just Victorian wank, which can be funny and is the reason Dr. Grordbort can be so great (it can be awful at times, don't get me wrong). It's just not a very deep setting. I do really like the three gods though. If it just weren't London in the lore and instead something like Dishonored that simply borrowed the aesthetic of the era, it would've been perfect.
>>
>>46380790
And let me explain what I mean by "not very deep". I mean so much of it feels like pandering to the cog fop crowd. Things like the Royal Navy invading Hell. The exaggerated guttersnipe stuff. It clashes with all the Lovecraftian elements, when it could be working fantastically with them. The main them of Lovecraft's work is "we are not as smart as we think we are, and that's a blessing". Science in the Victorian Era was so certain they had learned most of what there was to know. Some in the 1910's and 20's sometimes claimed in fits of hubris that all the major discoveries and been made, and it was just a matter of cleaning up. Lovecraft's horror was predicated upon humans being wrong about this, and not just about how the world works, about everything. The fundamental nature of reality was unknown to humans and was terrible to know.

It's just not fertile ground for comedy of any variety other than gallows humor.
>>
>>46380921
You do know that the Correspondence is literally an alien language that tends to burn stuff, and is used as a language between the stars and their messengers? And the Bazaar is a stellar postal worker/messenger who went AWOL?
>>
>>46380055
The Presbyterian Adventuress of course!
>>
>>46380921
and Hell completely fucked up the British army when they attempted to invade Hell.
>>
>>46380921

...You really shouldn't read Lovecraft Dreamlands stories then, they are frightfully silly.
>>
>>46381039
I have a soft spot for one of the people you first talk to for one of the backgrounds about your father's bones. Take a guess which.
>>
>>46381039
She's a treasure.
>>
>>46380055
Tell me about the setting.
>>
>>46382331
London was stolen by giant alien bats, well, actually bought by bargaining with the sovereign, and dragged underground to a gigantic cavern the size of continents.
These alien intelligent bats are the employees/representatives of a genius loci crustacean AWOL stellar postal worker/messenger to the stars. Said postcrab has bargained for 4 cities prior to London to be brought down to the cavern. It does this because it needs to prove some sort of point, and is gathering stories from the cities it's taking to get support for its point.
>>
>>46381011

I started playing Fallen London after Sunless Sea, but where the hell do they mention going AWOL?
>>
>>46385799
>>46385799
Well, th Bazaar's a postal worker that fled for the sun's sake because it had to take a worrying message to the sun, and the sun might not be able to take it. Because the bazaar loves the sun and worries for the sun's sake. And it took its illegimate kid it had with the sun and just has been ..... doing something in the neath.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.