[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does magic involve math? Would a wizard be good at math?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: Simply Geometry.png (5 KB, 583x272) Image search: [Google]
Simply Geometry.png
5 KB, 583x272
Does magic involve math? Would a wizard be good at math?
>>
depends on the setting.

I personally do like settings where magic has a lot of math to it though.
>>
>>46372858
Does flying involve metal?
>>
>>46372858
It also depends on the system too. Depending on whether the magic is intelligence based or not. I generally take that to mean that there are some complex numbers. Though intelligence could also be used for mental puzzles and philosophical shit too, so...
>>
File: DOTS.png (266 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
DOTS.png
266 KB, 400x300
>>46372858
No. Never. It's impossible. No one has ever written a setting where magic involves math, and no one ever will. That is the one correct answer.
>>
What is the fucking point of these questions when they are not setting and/or system specific? There are billions of fucking different ways magic is treated and imagined and explained through out the fantasy genre and traditional games media. Asking questions like this is fucking pointless and waste of everyones time.
>>
>>46373155
So is getting assblasted but here you are.
>>
>>46373155
I have no idea where the fuck those memsters come from.
They've been posting like this for a decade and simply won't stop.
It's creepy.
>>
>>46373557
>I have no idea where the fuck those memsters come from.
I genuinely believe they actually find the idea that they are "right" or "wrong" on a completely generic question appealing. So they constantly try to reduce the whole fucking genre and platform to some kind of "universal" system, and find debating this kind of shit gratifying.
>>
>>46373636
So autism. And I'm not even memeing. That is a pretty god damn big sign of autism.
>>
File: planetbuser.jpg (254 KB, 1400x875) Image search: [Google]
planetbuser.jpg
254 KB, 1400x875
Depends.

Are they a magical girl?
>>
>>46373636
I think those people rather lack an understanding of fiction. Magic, wizards, dragons, etc. are simply things in some stories to them and they never put any thought into it. So they understand these things through their usual role in a story and are completely oblivious to how speculative fiction works.
>>
>>46373720
While I don't hold a very high opinion of people that constantly flood the page with this kind of shit, I still do think they realize that there are different systems and different settings. I mean, anyone here has to be at least capable of understanding that AD&D is something different from, say Pathfinder or WH.
I really think they are rather deliberately ignoring it, than not being aware of this. I had a friend like this (in elementary school, I should say) who was constantly trying to push me towards these kinds of discussion. He was entirely aware of how fiction worked, he just liked the feeling of "being right" more, so he constantly tried to establish or debate fantasy as if it was one universal system. The answer "depends on the system" is not satisfying enough, does not make you feel like you actually know something, so let's pretend that is not the case and enjoy the possible wank-off that could give us...
>>
But they already exist IRL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathemagician
>>
>>46374137
Why the fuck is that even a page?
If magicians that are also mathematicians get a page, you'd need a page for every combination of all terms in existence.
You'd need to increase the number of articles on Wikipedia to roughly the factorial of itself.
>>
Of course it is

and the pure power behind maths can open gateways to other universes where the forces are different to our own.

Go read Charlie Stross' Laundry novels.

(Atrocity Archives, Jennifer Morgue, Fuller Memorandum, Apocalypse Codex, Annihilation Score )
>>
>>46372858
Magic based on super advanced math is my fetish
>>
>>46374338
http://qntm.org/ra

your boner is welcome
>>
>>46372858

Depends on the setting.
That said, magic as pure science nearly always leads to incredibly shitty worldbuilding, or incredibly weird settings with good worldbuilding.

If magic is a predictable, quantifiable force that you can manipulate by means that you can learn from study, then everyone would be learning magic. And if the rulers wanted to suppress that knowledge, people would learn it in secret, or the neighboring kingdom would let people have access to magic and then conquer the other ones with their army of battlewizards.

If magic is a matter of breeding, as in you need to have a certain gene, then any sensible king would basically hire some wizard and put him out to stud, give him a giant harem, and then in the long term end up with more wizards in that kingdom than in other kingdoms where wizards are solitary nerds, shunned by the populace.
Widespread magic would be an inevitability in either of those two cases, simply because of how good it is.

This is why pact magic and strange unpredictable gifts from demons and evil star gods are the only good choices for worldbuilding since they let you have whatever setting you want, with magic that is rare and unpredictable, and wizard school magic or born with it magic is for plebs.

Also stop making these kinds of threads you fucking autist, you can't ask a yes or no question about something that completely depends on imagination and what setting you're talking about for the moment.

You could say "yes" to literally any question phrased like that, followed by "in the setting I just imagined".
>>
>>46374619
>then everyone would be learning magic

>implying all humans have the magical talent

>If magic is a matter of breeding, as in you need to have a certain gene,
Why is that and scientific magic mutually exclusive?
Why does it have to be a gene instead of something that's passed on metaphysically and maybe only spread when the magic-talented parent has a close bond to their child?

>This is why pact magic and strange unpredictable gifts from demons and evil star gods are the only good choices for worldbuilding since they let you have whatever setting you want, with magic that is rare and unpredictable, and wizard school magic or born with it magic is for plebs.
Are you retarded?
You can have all of those aspects by going behind your tiny horizon.
Like, magic that is passed down the bloodline, but not by any physical means. Depending on where you live, you can have magical dynasties with the occasional fluke who can't cast magic or complete randomness where everyone has magical blood but the magical talent only crops up occasionally.
You can also have all of these people have similar magic because they live in the same civilization or say "this particular kind of magical talent manifests differently for every individual". In the latter case, everyone would use the same mechanics but understanding another mage's magic is like reading brainfuck code: Not worth it.
You'd also have a fine explanation for tower wizards.

Or magic can be available for everyone, but is dependent on magical hotspots in the world or require them to learn the progenitor's type of magic, even though it's like casting brainfuck for 99.99% of all mages.
>>
>>46374931
>Are you retarded?
This is exactly why these threads are unavoidably shit. It starts with somebody asking an unanswerable question. Then somebody starts trying to apply some real world logic to it (generally in a way that is completely unconductive to good fiction building), which leads to extremely tortured concepts, then somebody else flogs in to insult him because his way of applying real logic and leading to tortured constructs differ and he need to prove that makes him the smarter one.

Jesus fucking Christ people. Fiction-building is a teleological process, and all the individual aspects of it are TOOLS. You are creating fiction for some purpose, and the ONLY relevance and only factor you should ever consider is "am I using the right tool best suited to the goal I'm trying to achieve". Assuming any kind of universality is just fucking painfully dumb thing to do, insulting others because their particular method differs from yours is even worse.
>>
>>46375136
I was telling you that you are retarded for claiming that your preferred way of building a setting is the only good way.

Anyone who isn't an autistic memeshit will understand that these threads are retarded and partially for the reasons that you are mentioning.
>>
>>46375174
>I was telling you that you are retarded for claiming that your preferred way of building a setting is the only good way.
Dude, if you can't even figure out that I'm not the guy who posted >>46374931, then you might have a SERIOUS reading comprehension issue. You seem to be awfully fond of the phrase "autistic memester", and trust me, that does not reflect on your maturity or common sense very well either.

But enough with the pointless insults. If you are aware of how broken this kind of debate is to begin with, then why are you still engaging in it and committing the exactly same stupid mistakes in logic? Why insulting someone for thinking that his way of world-building is the only way when you immediately commit exactly the same cardinal sin? Surely the fucking point is to point out that imposing generic logic to fantasy systems is fundamentally flawed, not use your own generic logic to prove his logic is less good than yours.
>>
>>46375302
>But enough with the pointless insults. If you are aware of how broken this kind of debate is to begin with, then why are you still engaging in it and committing the exactly same stupid mistakes in logic? Why insulting someone for thinking that his way of world-building is the only way when you immediately commit exactly the same cardinal sin? Surely the fucking point is to point out that imposing generic logic to fantasy systems is fundamentally flawed, not use your own generic logic to prove his logic is less good than yours.
Because we already had the discussion about the pointlessness of the thread and everyone agreed.
I was assuming this was now the time to do actual discussion in this atrocious thread. You know, how we used to do.
>>
>>46372858
BC is 10×sqrt(3)
I don't have a calculator on me for angle measures
>>
File: 1459441359771.png (14 KB, 676x354) Image search: [Google]
1459441359771.png
14 KB, 676x354
>>46372858
What do I win?
>>
>>46372858
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxtgtv5DXa8
according to this, probably. But the question is: Would you hear it all just to know it?
>>
>>46372965

Would it if it involved the power of rock and roll?
>>
>>46375672
You know if you specify units in your answer you don't need to ask that question
>>
>>46372858

In many settings, yes. In fact, sacred mathematics, gematria, and some forms of feng shui all include a math component. Greek humanism includes this, though not really so much mathematical as proto-scientific.

However, I prefer the fantasy magic of most RPGs to be non-mathematical. I'm a scientist IRL and prefer magic to be how things would work if the world worked according to the laws of english majors than strict logic and math of the physical and some social sciences.
>>
File: DirtyHippie.jpg (79 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
DirtyHippie.jpg
79 KB, 250x250
>>46372858
>Would a wizard be good at math

Just the opposite.

Math is as close to Truth as people can get, and (non-Penn & Teller) magic isn't real, so things like Newtonian physics and Euclidean geometry would always be getting in the way of the Awesome Free Lunch troll logi- er, I mean, swish-n-flick magic provides in most fantasy settings. (Retardium Levio-SA!) So, no. Just as threads like this one suck the magic out of fantasy because freshman sociology students - who just now discovered the False Dilemma for the first time in world history! - need to show off their newly-swollen nerd muscles, maths are anathema to sugarplum concepts like fantasy 'magic.'
>>
>>46372858
>Does magic involve math? Would a wizard be good at math?
DEPENDS
ON
THE
SETTING
>>
File: Divination_Wizards.jpg (40 KB, 640x417) Image search: [Google]
Divination_Wizards.jpg
40 KB, 640x417
>>46372858
>Would a wizard be good at math?

Harry and Ron seem like they'd be shit at math. They'd probably pass Hogwarts' math requirements on their own, but I imagine they'd need Hermione's help if they wanted decent marks in college-level math.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.