[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Generally speaking, how do you like your superheroes? Are they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
Generally speaking, how do you like your superheroes? Are they naturally born/homegrown? Are they created by chance or by prophecy? Are they the cause of science, magic or something else? Are there (hot) aliens?
>>
All of the above. Assuming an rpg setting, it gives everyone a chance to be useful. Superguy may be able to punch good, but when the demons and shit show up that gives Professor Wizardshit a chance to shine.
>>
I like them as ordinary people taking on super-villains who possess superhuman abilities and yet somehow emerging victorious.

I don't really like them as edgelords or as fronts for the author's political views.
>>
I generally like created by chance type myself. I think it leaves more open for different types of characters, but there isn't really a type I completely hate

As for the source of their abilities I guess as long as you don't try to explain it with bad science I don't really care
>>
>>46367006
>Professor Wizardshit
Hell of a moniker.
>>
>>46366968
I tend to like all superheroes come from a similar source for a setting.

For example, a given setting could have mutants as the main superheroes, with any others being batman-style powerless types, or possibly those with gadgets invented by hyper-intelligent mutants.

I tend to find having a single event like that makes things better, since it also lets you set the tone and take power level into consideration.

Kitchen-sink superhero settings can be fun, but I just have a preference for focused ones.
>>
>>46366968
K I T C H E N S I N K
>>
>When a regular woman wears this, it's sexist and objectifying.
>When a (alien) superhero wears this, it's empowering and iconic.
>This is such a double standard.
Do people in your setting ever complain about superhero attire?
>>
File: Robotic Villain.jpg (53 KB, 565x481) Image search: [Google]
Robotic Villain.jpg
53 KB, 565x481
>>46366968
Basically all of the above. My big background in Superheroes is City of Heroes and the RPCongress on Pinnacle, it was an absolute trainwreck of wonderful weirdness on top of City of Heroes' already mess of a lore.

The absurdity wrapped around for me and went from nuts to something that gave it's own sort of gravity to everything. And I myself ended up playing characters across a broad spectrum of origins.

Though, as a whole, I suppose, I tend to lean towards "natural" heroes who train for their abilities, being an Asian I have some very broad standards though of what abilities I think a person can obtain with enough training, but still, I like the idea that to be a hero, one has to work hard on it and clearly take some enjoyment in it, otherwise they wouldn't bother putting in such effort.

>>46367086
I actually kind of like edgelords as villains myself.

Of course, then the whole point becomes that the edgelord villain gets their asskicked and proven wrong. Whether they realize how wrong they are or remain stalwart is up to the author.
>>
>>46366968
Considering my character ideas I find I tend to go to either superscience, or mythical/occult magic bullshit (benevolent monster, has magical artifact, etc) for superheroes. Aliens and natural/induced psychic powers are cool too.
Of course, in typical fashion I usually expect and like superhero settings to have all of the above and more, whatever.
>>
>>46367086
>I don't really like them as edgelords or as fronts for the author's political views.
But super old school Captain America was great...
>>
>>46367642
In my setting? I don't think it's ever come up, actually. Admittedly, the least practical heroine outfits tend to be:
>A telepathist browngirl who wears a high-slit Chinese dress and an overcoat
>A Yamato Nadeshiko who fights in her kimono alongside her husband. (And funny enough, they're Lord Yamato and Lady Nadeshiko)

I suppose there's also the cabal of Magical Girls but I tend to imagine their outfits being more based on Bushi-onna, Miko, and Sohei.
>>
>>46366968
Eldritch. Superpowers are a gift from unknowable abominations literally gnawing at the door.

But then, I'm heavily influenced by Trace (which heavily influenced Worm).
>>
>>46366968
I prefer backstories like that of Guts. Just a fairly normal guy that life decided to try its hardest to shit on. Then the guy mans up and shoves his fist up life's asshole to the point life gets colon cancer.
>>
>>46366968
>Are they naturally born/homegrown?
Some of them.
>Are they created by chance or by prophecy?
Some of them.
>Are they the cause of science, magic or something else?
Some of them.
>Are there (hot) aliens?
Of course!
>>
>>46366968
>Generally speaking, how do you like your superheroes?
I like heroes that die tragicly because they didn't take the superhero idea seriously enough until the last moment.

>Are they naturally born/homegrown?
They're GMOs

>Are they created by chance or by prophecy?
How can one know?

>Are they the cause of science, magic or something else?
My last character became the ultimate prophet of the actual God so... yes.

>Are there (hot) aliens?
Yes (no).
>>
>>46368861
>Are there (hot) aliens?
>Yes (no).
This is a travesty.
>>
>>46366968
>Are there (hot) aliens?

... Define "hit", /TG/ gets pretty flexible with the term.

You have your pick of:
>Selenites
Adorable (don't say that to them though) crosses between Star nosed moles, naked molerats, and armadillos.

>Martians
Full war of the world's Uuulaaaaaaa! shit here. They're tri-tentacled hulks that eventually become three legged spider crab things.

>Venusians
The unholy hybrid of water bears and mantis shrimp. Basically unkillable, can break bones of God's through sheer force alone, and are the size of a damn truck. Thankfully they cannot leave their planet on their own.

Outside of the local cluster you get:

>Tide Men
Basically a hive mind collection of mildly psionic coral colonies. They spend their " seed" lives exploring and"pass away" when they find a nice!ocean shallow to settle into.

>Automatronics
Race of seemingly sapient robot manufacturers and merchants. Strangely aseem more racist towards one another than organics.

>obligatory human aliens
Specifically humans who ended evolving!slightly differently than us and came about due to a negative time space wedgie basically photocopying the local solar system about one point five million years ago and dropping it into an empty plot in the galaxy.
>>
>>46366968
I like my superheroes very hot, with large tits and asses hanging out... just like your pic.
>>
>>46367482
>Rapper gains magic powers and hyper-intelligence
>>
File: 52869b50984b0.jpg (81 KB, 656x880) Image search: [Google]
52869b50984b0.jpg
81 KB, 656x880
>>46367642
I want this to happen in a Frank Miller comic

>>46371368
Pic related
>>
>>46371334
That's just comic book convention, where most of the women are drawn attractive. It's true, though, that some people are explicitly more attractive than usual, like Starfire up there. She's meant to be sexy even by comic book conventions.
>>
>>46371647
>>46371368
This is a valid character concept
>>
>>46367997
Where would one find this Trace?
>>
>>46368097
That can't be the pathos for ALL heroes, can it?
>>
3d6 straight down.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.