[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 158680e678cb.jpg (57 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
158680e678cb.jpg
57 KB, 600x700
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

What's the absolute worst session you've ever been a part of?
>>
Session with an overweight crossdresser with delusions of femininity, an autist who thought screeching at the top of her lungs was good roleplaying and a DM whose idea of a good time was chucking AC 25 300+hp guards at us until someone died
>>
Hey, I'm probably late to the party with this, but does a lvl 3 bear totem barb get damage res in heavy armor?

There doesn't seem to be the same stipulation as with the eagle totem, which means it should work. You do lose out on the other features of rage tho.
>>
>>46356570
It was in Edge of the Empire. A player kept derailing the action so he could PvP. I have nothing against PvP when done right, but this event made no sense and was just to be a dick. We ended up losing a player permanently because of that session.
>>
>>46356933
yes you get the damage resistance
>>
My DM just ruled that Bladelock's Pact Weapon can be any weapon, even monster ones. He's a stubborn one, so he won't re-rule anything unless he sees in-game proof that it's broken.
What monsters have stuff that I can use to prove him wrong?
>>
Fullplate on second level of Death House is normal fullplate that has no disadvantages, and any DM who says it does is a nigger cuck.
>>
>>46357410
but it's welded
>>
>>46357363
you mean weapons you find on monsters? I don't see what's wrong with this.
>>
>>46357410

when is this going to be funny
>>
>>46357363
>doesn't even know of any examples
>thinks it should be changed
lel
>>
>>46357363
Well, the water reaver's swords from Princes of teh Apocalypse are pretty good. Basically longswords that deal an extra die of damage against unarmored targets. Generally though, any actual WEAPON that a monster has is just a normalw eapon, possibly larger than usual, but if THAT'S the case then they'd be either unable to wield it or wield it at disadvantage.
>>
>>46357363
But you can make your pact weapon any weapon and you can make magic ones into your pact weapon. It's explicitly stated. What are you talking about?
>>
>>46357363
Trebuchet?
Giant's boulder?
An adult red dragon, held by the tail?
>>
>>46357363
Bearded Devil. Its glaive causes infernal wounds that deals progressively larger damage each turn.
>>
>>46357545
Warlocks dont gain the magic ability to wield weapons they otherwise couldn't such as everything you suggested.
>>
>>46357363
Point out that it literally says
>(see chapter 5 for weapon options)
>>
>>46357363

Fey Creature from fifth edition foes whose shears crit on a 16 and up. Shears or something. Bretty Gud damage too, and if your DM is one of those "Crits mean something cool happens too" you'll really milk it.
>>
>>46357581
Unless your dm says you find a magic glaive that has those abilities its not like you'll get that weapon from a bearded devil. Also its the devil's attack that has that effect the glaive itself could be normal.
>>
>>46357629

Could be pretty brutal with either Smite, Sneak Attack, or Melee Cantrips.
>>
>>46357363
Balor longsword: deals extra 1d8 (accounting for size) lightning damage and deals 3X instead of 2X damage on critical hits.
Balor whip: deals extra 1d6 (size) damage, 30 foot reach, Thorn Whip/Lightning Lure effect.
>>
>>46357363
RAW, a Pact Weapon has to be a melee weapon, which means you can't use anything not listed as a Simple Melee or Martial Melee Weapon under the equipment section - improvised weapons do not inherently count as melee or ranged, so you can't use those unless you're mechanically treating it as a statted weapon.

That said, if your DM's definition of 'any weapon' is 'anything which can be used to damage a creature', and is not limited to melee, I would suggest a ballista or a siege tower.
>>
>>46357610
>(see chapter 5 for weapon options)
this
and
> You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon.

You can either have your weapon take the form of any weapon described in chapter 5 or transform any magical weapon you find into your pact weapon.
>>
>>46357640
That's what's in the books, and it stands in contrast to creatures like the angels who have a trait (Angelic Weapons, in their case) that specifies it applies to their weapons.

The poster wanted to know what creatures have weapons that show this is a bad idea, so I'm giving him some. This is an example.
>>
>>46357363
Monster weapon attacks are generally fudged to fit the average amount of damage per round appropriate for the monster's CR. That's why NPCs often do more damage dice in a single hit than their weapons should allow. I'd recommend just picking a specific cool weapon that fits the theme, like the serrated poleaxe of a bearded devil, and working out special rules for it with your DM.
>>
>>46357363
None, because monster weapons don't have stats.
>>
>>46357725
these are what i was trying to say >>46357765
>>46357829
>>
File: 1.png (542 KB, 473x620) Image search: [Google]
1.png
542 KB, 473x620
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>46357853
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

>>46357853
>>
File: whaddya buyin.jpg (89 KB, 720x701) Image search: [Google]
whaddya buyin.jpg
89 KB, 720x701
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>46357853
Rolling for Discord server dungeon goal.

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
File: 2.png (373 KB, 464x423) Image search: [Google]
2.png
373 KB, 464x423
>>46357871
The goal of the dungeon is to find a particular item for a specific purpose.

What villain waits within?
>>
>>46357363
Bone Devil hooked polearm: auto-grapple on hit with an escape DC.
Chain Devil's chains: auto-grapple, auto-damage
Ice Devil spear: extra cold damage, and inflicts Slow-like effects
Pit Fiend mace: FIRE!!!
Empyrean maul: stun effect on demand
Dao maul: knock prone
Djinni's scimitar: lightning or thunder damage
Efreeti's scimitar: fire damage

Incidentally, has there been a rule on if you could chop off the claws of ghasts and ghouls to harness the paralyze effect?
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

>>46357925
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>46357925
>no separate tables for villain identity and motivation
Why are these tables so shit?
>>
>>46357962
You flesh those out using the later tables for NPC traits.
>>
File: 3.png (236 KB, 469x281) Image search: [Google]
3.png
236 KB, 469x281
>>46357952
The party ventures into a dungeon ruled by a villainous humanoid seeking revenge, to find a particular item for a specific purpose.

What ally helps them in this quest?
>>
>>46357925
>Fey with a mysterious goal

FFS, just because the characters don't know what he's up to doesn't mean the DM shouldn't.
>>
Rolled 9 (1d12)

>>46357992
>>
>>46357992
>no undisguised monster
>no dragon
>no wealthy merchant
>no vizier of ambiguous morals
>>
File: 4.png (228 KB, 477x312) Image search: [Google]
4.png
228 KB, 477x312
>>46357992
A celestial ally leads the party into a dungeon, ruled by a villainous humanoid seeking revenge, to find a particular item for a specific purpose.

Who sent them on this quest?

Aside:
>Discover why a villain is interested in the dungeon
>with the villain posing as an ally
>sent by the villain posing as a patron

What a quest.

>>46357962
>>46358007
As stated, it points you to a different set of tables to flesh out NPCs after the fact.
>>
Would a Totem Warrior Barbarian talk half damage from falling?
>>
>>46357935
I usually rule that all kinds of monster venom can be harvested from monster corpses with a Survival check and an empty vial to put it in, but it loses it's potency after a few minutes in the open air, like the poisons in the PHB and DMG. I'd rule that a ghoul's paralyzing touch is not venom but a supernatural ability that ends when the ghoul is destroyed.
>>
>>46356933
You can't benefit from rage at all when you're wearing heavy armor. Read the Rage feature, PHB pg 48.
>>
>>46358129
'Resistance to all damage except psychic' should include all damage except psychic. Falling doesn't deal psychic damage.

Hell, unless your DM rules that the ground doesn't deal slashing, bludgeoning or piercing damage, a standard Barbarian should have resistance to falling damage.
>>
>>46357904
>14. Escape from furries in the Discord app
>>
>>46356570

I won't go with the absolute worse, just a terrible moment. When I say moment I mean 4 hours long.

> Player 1: I'm bringing this unknown and potentially infectious man onto the ship
> Player 2: No you're not bringing that unknown and potentially infectious man onto the ship
> Player 1: Yes I am
> Player 2: No you're not

4 hours long. Even after attempting to guide their arguments into an actual debate with point and counterpoint they reverted to the above cyclical argument within seconds. I ended up reading HH novels while I waited. I've sat in kindergarten classes where 5 year old children had more in depth arguments then these players.
>>
I was looking at Bag of Holding and Bag of Devouring, and wondering why the fuck the bag of devouring was Rare and why you'd ever want one, then I realized it'd be an incredibly strong weapon for a Grappler. How effective is it for that?
>>
>>46356570

>worst session

I've been blessed to not have any bad sessions of 5e so far. First DM was new to DMing, yet did a terrific job. Second DM was also new, and he did pretty good, though his campaign eventually fizzled out.

No, my worst session was in Pathfinder. We were doing a succession game, where every session a new player becomes the DM. It was a really neat idea, and could have been so awesome... until it was That Guy's turn to DM. See, TG is a friend. We're all friends, have been since elementary school. We weren't going to exclude him, since that was dickish, and we figured if he had one session he couldn't possibly fuck everything up THAT bad, right?

We were of course, very, very wrong.

So, the first session we're playing, the current DM makes a villain. It's a very powerful vampire, and he shows up to taunt us before sending a bunch of zombies after us. Second session, the current DM works off of that, and adds a little bit to his character. Vampire dude wants to find an artifact to plunge the world into eternal night. We go to find him and stop him, but he ends up using some strange spell to send us forward in time, after he's already won. We end up finding a way to go back, but it takes us too far back. Next session, my friend's (then)girlfriend is the DM, and she did pretty good, though most of the session was just building up the vampire some more. Turns out he was a vampire hunter, a vampire turned his wife and then used that to turn him. We unfortunately fail to stop him from being turned, and the session ends with us looking at this guy, about to finally fight him and end his reign of terror before it can even begin. Then... it was That Guy's turn.

So the only people that showed up that night were That Guy, the friend who introduced me to these people, and me. The other two, being the dicks that they were, elected to stay at home instead.

To be continued
>>
>>46358237
>Player 1 (Me): We're not taking a 9-year-old to demon-infested Antarctica
>Player 2: Don't worry, it's fine
>Player 1: It's a terrible idea
>Player 2: What could possibly go wrong?
>Player 1: It's dangerous as hell
>Player 2: We'll protect him!
>Player 1: Ugh, fine.

3 sessions later, it turned out the kid was Szass Tam in disguse. FML.
>>
File: Strange_Journey_full_cover_art.jpg (810 KB, 900x1310) Image search: [Google]
Strange_Journey_full_cover_art.jpg
810 KB, 900x1310
>>46358351
>demon-infested Antarctica
SMT campaign?
>>
File: 5.png (698 KB, 500x755) Image search: [Google]
5.png
698 KB, 500x755
>>46357962
>>46358007
There's tables for:
>appearance
>above / below average ability scores
>talent / skill
>mannerism
>temperament
>ideal
>bond
>flaw / secret
>objective
>scheme (the plan they use to pursue their objective)
>method (the mechanism by which they implement their scheme)
>weakness

Objective, scheme, and method could be:
>acquire wealth
>by controlling natural resources or trade
>via assassinations
or
>attain immortality
>by acquiring a legendary item to prolong life
>via impersonation or disguise
or
>get revenge
>for the death of a loved one
>by raising/animating the dead

So actually I think the villain tables are pretty cool.
>>
Rolled 12 (1d12)

>>46358393
>>
I'm pretty new to tabletop, going through my first campaign and was hoping to get a bit of advice.

I'm a LE barbarian and just want some advice on combat. Should I be constantly changing enemies or focusing on one to get power attacks in? I'm specced to duel wield, as it's part of my character, if that matters any. Also were playing 3.5
>>
>>46356570
Probably my previous session seeing as mostly my 5e group has been good. This session was a bit shit though mostly just because my GM has decided we are now going to start using a fumble chart. It also had a fight that was a pain in the ass and took far too long considering only one party even member got hurt, which was by fumbling and hitting his knee with his own mace...
>>
File: where do you think we are.png (651 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.png
651 KB, 1067x800
>>46358489
>>
>>46358391
Our DM's signature setting is the Forgotten Realms dumped into Earth after an apocalyptic nuclear war or something.

It's actually surprisingly fun.
>>
DMs do you let your players make rolls against each other to force each other to do things? For example, say two players are in disagreement over what they should do next. One player has a nice, thought out argument, and the other player just says "No" and throws his d20 and gets a high CHA roll so his character convinces the other character what to do.
>>
>>46358489
not to be a dick but this 5e general. There is a pathfinder general which is closer to what you are looking for.
>>
>>46358545
what no what the fuck

social skills don't apply to other PCs
>>
>>46358489
Traditional adventuring protocol is to have the whole party focus on one enemy at a time if possible, because the sooner you kill any one enemy the sooner it stops hurting the party.

Also, if you're playing 3.5, your barbarian cannot be lawful.
>>
File: He got me.png (57 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
He got me.png
57 KB, 625x626
>>46358489
I actually thought this was an actual question right until that last part.
>>
>>46358545
no those checks are for npcs exclusively.
>>
>>46358545
Did you ask him to roll CHA against another player, or did he just decide to? Because whoever thought this was a good idea is at fault here.
>>
>>46358312

My character was an Oracle, a middle aged veteran of an old war between humans and elves. I went with the "dual cursed" archetype, and the "curses" he had were old war injuries, which included a bum leg and poor eyesight. He wielded a flaming greatsword.

My good friend made a ratfolk alchemist (he's got a thing for Skaven, see). He mostly focused on throwing bombs at shit and making buffs and debuffs with his potions.

So the session starts, and we're facing down the eyes of a vampire that has been a constant thorn in our side. We now know his tragic past, we've seen what he's going to do to the world, and we're ready to face this motherfucker down.

The first thing, THE VERY FIRST THING, that happens is TG says "we hear clapping from the shadows." To those of you who've never played with a shit DM before, that's a nice red flag that things are about to get fucking stupid.

So, a different vampire comes out of the shadows and instantly, without a word, kills the vampire BBEG we've been building up for like four sessions. He then reveals that he's the brother of that vampire.

So, essentially, this guy decided that he would replace our vampire villain... with a vampire. Who had the same name. And kinda looked the same. Except, you know, That Guy made him, so he's way KEWLER and EDGIER.

Well, whatever, we're gonna kill THIS fucker now. We roll initiative (and manage to beat the vamp) and start attacking. I rush him with my blade, and got super lucky and landed a crit. Did something like 60 damage in one blow. Alchemist goes, throws his "big bomb" that he can only use once a day, AND FUCKING CRITS. Ends up doing something like 120 damage to the fucker.

It's at this point we both look at That Guy.
"How's he looking?"
"Oh, he doesn't have a scratch."
It was at this point, more than any other, that I realized how bad this night was going to go.

Cont.
>>
>>46358545
They can roll dice all they want, it's just fidgeting. Each player has control over exactly one character in the setting, and has total control over what that character does and doesn't want to do.
>>
>>46358545
Even if they make those rolls they don't do anything that's the difference between PCs and NPCs
>>
>>46358545
Nope, Diplomacy being literally mind control is Pathfinder thing.
>>
>>46358545
"Well, that was a very convincing way to frame that argument. I still disagree."

He can roll to see how persuasive he is at framing his argument, but that doesn't make the other person be convinced. The difference between a 1 and a 20 could be "You're an idiot," compared to "I see your point, but no." Persuasive, but not inherently successful.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>46357853
>>
File: 1453581338193.jpg (132 KB, 900x630) Image search: [Google]
1453581338193.jpg
132 KB, 900x630
Someone a week ago was talking about building a Dex Pally and now I want to build one. I plan on taking Defense, Medium Armor Specialization, and TWF for maximum AC cheese. What Oath should I choose? Any other tips?
>>
>>46358184
Falling damage is bludgeoning damage, RAW
>>
>>46358850
Oops, meant Defensive Duelist and Dual Wielder, not TWF
>>
>>46358850
Wouldn't Dueling be better than TWF and Defense?
>>
>>46358850
>>46358945
>maximum AC cheese
>Dual Wielder
As opposed to using a simple shield?

Nonetheless, with two weapons, you'd probably want to go for either Vengeance or Ancients, as Sacred Weapon only works on one weapon, and Crown will probably have you taking more damage than you're comfortable with.
>>
>>46358984
>>46358945
If you go Dueling you could also have the choice of Shield Master over Defensive Duelist. Not as high on the AC but spreads out your ability to use that extra dex for spells
>>
>>46358850
The only advantage to two-weapon fighting as a pally is that you can potentially smite 3 times in a round. You can capitalize on that by going Oath of Vengeance and picking up Hunter's Mark for even more damage per hit.

Also, even if your dex is high, you still have better AC in full plate.
>>
>>46358607

So, the fight continues. He slashes at me with his sword, and hits me. With the damage reduction I had, I only end up taking around 10 damage or so, which barely scratches my HP. Then the DM looks up at me. "Okay, make a Fort save."

I roll. End up getting a 3 or something like that.

He gives me a big shit eating grin. "Okay Anon. You are now a werewolf."

I wish I could have seen my own face at that point. The sheer stupidity of what I had just heard stunned me. A vampire... with a sword... that makes werewolves. I was speechless. But, hey, it was my turn, so I was like fuck it. I'm gonna kill this bastard and worry about the werewolf thing later.

I swing my mighty greatsword. I hit him, easily, and do a good 30 some damage. I take my second swing, and manage to land another fucking critical. Roll, max damage, did somewhere in the ballpark of 80 damage to this prick. Of course That Guy can't let the train leave the railroad, so I may as well have tickled him for all the effect that had.

Then, the DMPC shows up. It's an elf (of course) wearing beautiful shining gold armor (of course), with one blue eye and one silver eye (OF FUCKING COURSE). He casts a spell and the vampire runs away, but then, from the woods, we hear noises coming from every direction. Apparently, the vampire reinforcements were on their way (how many fucking vampires are in this world at this point, Jesus Christ). The stranger opens a portal and tells us to get inside of it, quickly, and that he'd fend them off. My character, being a big burly Oracle with all of his spell slots and a big ass flaming sword, offers to stay and fight. The ratfolk, being a complete coward, jumps through the portal. I sigh, and jump in after him.

We arrive in a beautiful elven city, with giant ivory towers as tall as skyscrapers and magical lights dancing through the sky. My character is now god damn angry, considering that's the equivalent of dropping a 'Nam veteran into fucking Chinatown.

cont
>>
Hey TG,

I'm in a 5e and I'm currently a Level 2 Paladin but I really want to multiclass into a Warlock.

What do you recommend for when I should do that?
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>46357853
Rolling for my next random adventure.
>>
>>46359271
6 if you really want Aura of Protection, otherwise 3 or 7, depending on your Oath.

Make sure your DM is fine with it and there's sufficient narrative impetus for the dip.
>>
Rolled 16, 17, 1, 7, 2 = 43 (5d20)

>>46357925
>>46357992
>>46358103
>>46358393
Rolling so I don't make 5 posts
>>
>>46359359

I've spoken to my DM and my Pally is currently serving an "Angel" type God of Justice which is actually a Fiend disguising himself.

I wasnt sure about 3, multiclassing at 3 seems a bit early
>>
>>46359416
5 is also valid for Extra Attack if you're not planning on running GFB cheese - but at that point you may as well go to 6 for Aura of Protection as well.
>>
>>46358886
Is there a place in one of the books which states this? My DM insists that I take full damage even though I should take half IMO.
>>
>>46359059

We're not even in the city for a minute when the guards appear to take us off to see the queen.

We get there, and we see that she, too, has a bad case of "DM Heterochromia Fetish." One silver, one blue. Oh, guess Mr. DMPC must have been her son. Oh well.

So she tells us that we have two choices: either die, or do a job for her and get paid. We accept the job, since, uh, you know, didn't really have a choice there.

We get escorted via cart to an area just outside of the city, a small town. We know something's up right away when there's literally no one outside and there's not one light in any of the windows. Oh, and the green fog, that rose some flags too.

The brave oracle and the not so brave rat man proceed forward, into the central keep where it seems all this fog is pouring out. I use my terrific strength to bust the door down and we enter.

We are greeted at the door by the master of the house, a gnome. He asks what we're doing here. My character, being very matter-of-fact, tells him that we're here to kill him. So naturally, since all rails on this train lead to Stupidtown, he pulls a lever that we didn't see which opens up the entire floor, and we don't get so much as an attempt on a Dex save to stop this.

We crash down in a little arena like area, and a large door opens. A troll walks out. I'm sure the DM thought he was being really brutal by throwing a party of two against a troll. Except no, I had a big ass flaming greatsword, and all of the alchemist's bombs were fire damage.

So one round later, the troll is defeated. The DM looks dejectedly at the board, then has a thought. The troll's body bursts open, and a two headed troll pops out! The DM was clever to do that, since it took us a lot longer to kill this one. Twice as long, to be exact.

We continued on through the door the Russian Troll Doll walked out of, and came upon a great spiral staircase. We begin walking up, and we notice a thickening green fog around us.

Cont.
>>
>>46359416
Basically, decide what class features from Paladin are the ones you really want (as >>46359416 said, Extra Attack and Aura of Protection are good things to have). Then multiclass.

Of course, you don't have to dip too far into Warlock to gain a lot from it. 2-3 levels give you quite a bit.
>>
>>46359584
Oops, meant "as >>46359509 said"
>>
>>46359553
As per PHB page 183:
>Falling
>At the end of a fall, a creature takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it fell, to a maximum of 20d6. The creature lands prone, unless it avoids taking damage from the fall.
>>
>>46359553
You and your GM should try reading the rulebook. Page 183 under falling.

A fall from a great height is one of the most common
hazards facing an adventurer.
At the end of a fall, a creature takes 1d6 bludgeoning
damage for every 10 feet it fell, to a maximum of 20d6.
The creature lands prone, unless it avoids taking
damage from the fall.
>>
>>46358545
If that's how they want to solve their disagreement sure. I just imagine their characters take out dice in character and roll.

If one guy rolls for anything that I didn't tell him to roll, it doesn't count from a roleplay perspective, though. If he says "Thor takes out his 20-sided knucklebone dice and rolls. He glares at Jade and days 'now you roll. This is how we'll solve this'" that's fine.
>>
>>46359619
>>46359632

Thanks guys!
>>
>>46359583

The DM asks for Fort saves. I start to roll, but N (the ratfolk player) asks if it's poison. The DM nods, and N laughs, saying he's immune as an alchemist.

I'm not, but hey, I've got really good Fort. I roll, get an 18. DM then asks for another roll. Uh, okay. I roll a 19. DM then asks for another rolls. Oh... kay, I roll. Natural 1. I'm now knocked unconcious. Of course.

The gnome appears, and asks the rat to help him carry my body up. The rat man agrees, which makes me do a double take.

Now, I'm strapped to an operating table. The gnome walks forth with a needle, explaining that it's a mutagen that'll shapeshift me into a monster. Just as he's about to inject me, the rat offers to do it, as a sign of solidarity for their newfound alliance. It takes some convincing, but eventually the gnome relents and hands the syringe to the rat. The rat walks over to me, and proceeds to inject it...

...into himself. See, alchemists have a fun little feature that allows them to resist any harmful shapechanging abilites. He does this in a way where the gnome doesn't see him do it, and instead replaces the liquid that was in the syringe with some liquid he had brought. Alchemists have another cool feature: they can actually "inject" people with liquid spells. So he puts a very useful spell into the syringe: Freedom of Movement. I now slip out of my restraints, walk over to my sword, and raise it above my head as the gnome looks on in terror.

Which is of course when the gnome pulls a wand out of his pocket and zaps me with it. The spell? Oh, it wasn't a spell, but rather a psionic power. Mind Switch, to be exact. Now I know what you're thinking here, "Wait a minute, can't wands -only- hold spells? How the fuck does a psionic power work from a wand?" Good question.

Either way, now I'm a shitty little gnome, and he's in my body, about to fucking kill me with my own sword.

cont. (god damn this is way longer than I thought it would end up being)
>>
>>46359902
Keep it comin anon this is golden
>>
>>46357363
> Arguing with the DM
> Making RP choices in an attempt to punish the DM
> generally just being an insufferable dickhead and justifying it because you're technically correct.
Please consider leaving the table.
>>
>>46359902

Then it hits me. Wait a fucking minute, I'm in the gnome's body, so right now I'm holding a wand of mind switch... I'll just use that.

The DM looks at me, looks at his notes, and then looks back at me. He sighs, picks up a die and rolls it. He gets something like a 2 or a 3, and fails miserably. Meaning I was me again, but my turn was now over.

Now it's the gnome's turn again. He pulls out another fucking wand, and casts it at me. This one mind controls me (psionic wands REEEEEE), and he orders me to kill my ratfolk buddy.

Now it's N's turn. He gets this look on face like he just had the most brilliant idea. At this point, he's out of damage spells and out of bombs, which means that the only way this gnome is dying quickly is through my sword, which just so happens to be on the gnome's leash at the moment.

He then goes into explaining what he's doing. Using metamagic feats, some alchemist fuckery, and at least one spell I've never even heard of, he throws a vial at my character, then says I have to take a Will save. Thank god my Will was garbage, because his spell made my mind go completely and utterly blank. Then he throws another vial at me, and his body goes limp. He had thrown his own mind into my body. My mind just had to, you know, get out of the way first.

Now, "my" body charges at the fucking gnome. One hit was all it took, and the gnome's head goes fucking flying. After some mind shuffling, N and I were both in control of our character's bodies again. Our characters, Sam and Skrikit (like I said earlier, nigga really likes Skaven), had never really seen eye to eye. But at this moment, after all the bullshit we had endured together, they had certainly earned some mutual respect for one another.

cont.
>>
>>46359553
Half the damage was for Sassing the DM. Take your HP loss and like it.
>>
>>46358312
Wasn't 5e, but I recently broke up with a group that could not be bothered to learn the rules, at all.

Literally every session was "beat first encounter, spend hour congratulating eachother, loot corpses, wonder why the enemy/objective/other shit got away."

They weren't bad people, but I've got better things to do than watch a bunch of shitty players jerk eachother off.
>>
>>46360162

We go back to Litebright City or whatever the fuck, and ask for our reward. The queen hands me a ring.
"Is... is that it? A ring? I thought you said we'd be paid, not get some little trinket!"
"Oh, but don't you see human, that is a ring of three wishes!"

I was, again, speechless. We were level 10 or so at the time, and this bitch has just handed us a fucking RING. OF. THREE. WISHES. I shouldn't have to say why that is absurdly overpowered for a level 10 character.

Now, before we leave the city, I decide I might as well look and see if this town has a place to buy magic items (since this was Pathfinder after all, back when you went to Magical Wal Mart for all your wondrous items and wands and staves and the like). Turns out, NOPE, fuck you, sure doesn't.

So, DM. You mean to tell me that the elven city, the place that is literally glowing with magical energy so bright that it lights the night sky for miles, does not have a magical item shop?

He explains that there are enchanters, but they're part of the queen's army, and thus only available to royalty and to her soldiers.

I walk back into the castle.

to be concluded
>>
>>46356570
uh... where is the discord server link?
>>
>>46360607
See >>46357904

Memers refuse to put it in the OP for some reason, but it's still alive and strong.
>>
>>46358545
Nope
>>
>>46360534

"Excuse me, fair queen (practically choking on the words as he says them, since this is a dirty knife ear he's talking to), but we were wondering. Since we did that task for you, could we by chance gain access to your royal enchanters? We are willing to pay, at cost even."

"No."

"But... but why not? As I said, we're willing to pay."

"No, I will not allow it. I will only allow those who are in the service of my military to access their works. And to join the military, a potential recruit must endure-"

I interrupted the DM, and said as she's speaking I just turn and walk away. We left that city, and never, ever, EVER looked back.

So that's about it. The next week the other guys actually showed up, and they asked N and me how it went, holding back laughter. I told them I hoped they would get rectal cancer, and then proceeded to explain everything that had happened. When it was time to play, the current DM started with "You all wake up from a terrible dream." We had a good laugh about that. Even with that, though, the campaign fizzled out. Which is really a damn shame, because a succession game is a really awesome concept that gives everyone a chance to play and to add to a growing story.

That Guy is still That Guy but to a much lesser degree. Last time he GM'd was Star Wars, and it was actually pretty damn fun, without unkillable baddies or DMPCs anywhere.

Despite that, we still make fun of him for that fucking vampire with the werewolf sword.
>>
>>46357668
If you can get those from a Balor you've earned them as far as I'd be concerned.

Also if it's CR appropriate for you that's probably in line with what you'd be using anyway
>>
Has anyone got a spreadsheet or word doc of all the magic items in CoS?

Aside from the stuff for the book, I know there is a sentient shortsword, +2 greatsword, robe of many things.

So yeah, does anyone have a list of all the items and where they are found.
>>
>>46360787
Honestly, yeah. I do love the irony that the paladin who likely is most against the Balor is the one who would profit greatest from it (if he liked double Smite damage, he will love triple Smite!).
>>
>>46358545
People in my party keep trying to do this, and it's pissing me off.

They don't seem to understand they can't convince my 10 cha drow rogue to give the non-drow 20 cha expertised bard a +2 dagger he found because the bard can roll high in persuasion.
>>
>>46361207
Well, even if you were an NPC, that would be DC 20 if you considered him friendly (since a +2 dagger is a significant sacrifice, considering it is worth 5000+ gp which is more money than most people of the D&D world will ever see, let alone own. If indifferent, DC 30. If you didn't like the guy, it would actually be DC 40!
>>
>>46361485
>drow
I hate everyone.
It's just an opposed persuasion check, apparently the DM is ok with this or actively encourages it.
>>
>>46361523
>It's just an opposed persuasion check, apparently the DM is ok with this or actively encourages it.
leave
>>
File: JoJohnny's Bizzare Adventure.png (106 KB, 346x327) Image search: [Google]
JoJohnny's Bizzare Adventure.png
106 KB, 346x327
So I'm playing D&D for the first time ever, despite having a huge interest in it and all the games it has spawned.

What's the most fun Arcane Tradition in 5e? Divination seems kinda cool because Portent, but there seem to be fuck all Div spells and they're all very situational.
>>
File: NoSleepThenWork.jpg (364 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
NoSleepThenWork.jpg
364 KB, 1280x720
>Been playing OotA AL expeditions past few months
>Roll up new level 1's for Death House, expecting to go into CoS expeditions
>Table wants to roll up yet more new level 1's so we can start CoS itself

Just...damn.
>>
>>46361523
Then you would be hostile towards him. a DC 20 check for an NPC of your disposition is what a DC 0 is for a friendly person.

Plus, if anything it would be Insight or something like that. You don't need to persuade anyone, your wisdom just needs to win out.
>>
>>46361792
They're all pretty insignificant besides Div and Abj. Divination is crazy good with Portent, even middling rolls are enough to change the outcome of a battle significantly. Abjuration makes you quite significantly tankier. Bladesinger also accomplishes making you tankier too.

The rest are sorta "meh". They have their uses. Really the archetype of a Wizard doesn't determine much at all.
>>
>>46361792
I like Artificer, from the UA. It may not be the most powerful, but I love the mad scientist vibe ;)
>>
>>46361792
Always go necromancer
>>
>>46362004
>>46362024

Conjuration seemed nice with being unable to fail concentration on spells of that school, meaning your summons would never turn on you.

But yeah, I figured Abj and Div were the strongest.
>>
>>46360699
Thanks for taking the time to write that.
>>
>>46360699
>not wishing the queen out of existence right there in the court
>>
>>46361523

Take it out of character, then. Address the player and tell him to stop being antagonistic toward you, that you want to play a more cooperative game. If you don't want those opposed persuasion checks to work, just don't roll them. It's a shitty ruling from your DM, but the core of the problem is another player trying to screw you over. Don't play games with people who won't play friendly.
>>
>>46362156
Divination even benefits from having no abilities (outside of their school Savant) that synergise with divination spells so much as they have abilities that are general enough to be useful for anyone, and they are *extremely* useful. Whether you want to summon minions, hurl fireballs, or deflect magic, the Divination school is useful for every Wizard.
>>
>>46362343

No problem amigo

>>46362395

I... wow. I never even thought of that. I guess I was too busy trying to fight the urge to just drive away from that awful session that the thought never even crossed my mind.
>>
>>46362156
Artificer is more of a support role, but it can be a very effective one. Anyone who grapples or who gets lots of attacks (monks, fighters, etc.) will love the 1d4 hours of +1d4 damage on every attack that you can dole out concentration-free. Archer buddies will love enchanted arrows for use with Sharpshooter. Infuse Scrolls lets you (for the cost of 1 sp in parchment) bypass any material costs in spells that you know. That means free Simulacrum, Glyph of Warding, Magic Jar, what have you.

It is also great for multi-classing. 2 levels means you get access to all of the potions you have slots for. Infuse Scrolls also works with any other class spells you might have. Save 300 gp of diamonds on your Revivify, for instance.

Also note that while the level 14 ability is lackluster for a traditional adventurer, it is fantastic for Simulacrum chains. You get to make Bag of Holding factories!
>>
File: builder.jpg (226 KB, 1645x1009) Image search: [Google]
builder.jpg
226 KB, 1645x1009
I'm starting a character creator that is more interactive and easy to use than the ones I've seen, starting with vanilla.

Some features in mind are auto-filling the form-fillable PDF, saving characters for future use, and if all goes well, include a spell database.

Are there any special things you'd like from it?
>>
>>46357410
Why do you keep bringing this up? No one cares.
>>
>>go to second adventurers league game, this one in Ravenloft so I make a new character
>>switch from barbarian to ranged fighter when I realize that the party's most reliable ranged attack is from the moon Druid
>>my ex is playing a bard
>>legally blind girl is playing a two weapon fighter
>everyone keeps pointing and grabbing her hand, pissed me off a little
>>realize that I've been put at the kids table
>spend 30 minutes after a long rest so they can get their spells back when the DM tries to shoe horn in his goblin rogue GMPC "who is only there to pick locks" (says he puts it into every game)
>shoot the goblin twice, it doesn't die.
>poisons me with a poisoned dagger
>>gives me a salve after
>>pretty sure that's not kosher; anyway
>>bard casts two of her level one spells on ghouls which were standing around
>>I insist on exploring the whole map before we move on to a different part of the dungeon
>we find the room with the strahd statue, bard grabs blue orb, that's it, shadows rise
>no xp XD milestones
Fuck that goblin
>>
File: 1431193224705.jpg (430 KB, 900x817) Image search: [Google]
1431193224705.jpg
430 KB, 900x817
Reposting from last thread.
Does Moon Druid with two levels in Barbarian seem like a multiclass that would be good for representing a Shifter using primal magic to fight in the style of a proper lycanthrope? Or do the Barbarian levels actually not add that much for the image/mechanic of turning into a slashing murderbeast?
>>
>>46363098
I would let my players try it on! They would find it fully functional, full strength, nothing wrong at all, though identification reveals that it is cursed (though it isn't bound to the person like most cursed armor). Instead, the armor refuses to let the wearer leave the house. If the user leaves while the house is calm, it can simply be removed. If the user tries when the house goes axe-crazy and tries to murder everyone, they're going to have a bad time. If they try going through the slashing door, they take damage and don't go through. If they try to bust through the walls, they find the armor being sucked into it. No matter what they do, the armor will not leave the house.
>>
>>46363001
>Bypass any material costs in spells you know

While RAW this would be true, it's clearly not RAI. A 2nd-level class feature shouldn't save you thousands of gp. I wouldn't allow it as such in my games, and neither would any other DM that cares about game balance.
>>
>>46363339
With a way to remove the curse or...?

Because I see no reason to not just let my players have the full plate, not like it's full plate+5 or anything.
>>
>>46363305
Barbarian is great for shifters. My question is why you'd bother with druid if you want to be a savage melee fighter.
>>
>>46363385
You are getting this from a house where everything else is trying to kill you. No Remove Curse (because if it was that kind of curse, you wouldn't be able to take the armor off!).
>>
Ran Death House last week as first session of CoS campaign, got to the attic. Two players were absent and will be there this session. How do I get them to the attic? They are new to D&D so I don't want to make them sit and watch for their first session.
>>
>>46363463
GM-based teleportation magic.
>>
>>46363463
Blame it on the Mists
>>
>>46363381
Considering how weak everyone seems to claim them to be, it makes sense. Wizards are actually the worst off for synergy with that ability. They have Simulacrum, Planar Binding, Magic Jar, Magic Circle, and Glyph of Warding.

Considering they get a ribbon for a level 14 ability, when other traditions are getting advantage and resistance against all spells, maximized damage for your spells, the ability to make illusions reality, the army-raising Command Undead, or a philosopher's stone, I don't actually think letting them save a few thousand gold over situational spells is game-breaking and might not even be against RAI.
>>
Am I the only one who thinks bladesinger is fucking broken as fuck?

Compared to blade pact warlocks They have so much survivability it's insane! Free extra attack? +INT to damage?? The warlock has to waste invocations on that shit and this thing just gets them for free, twice per short rest? Plus a bunch of other shit like +INT to AC and better saves

That's some bullshit. Why would anyone go gish with anything else
>>
>>46363670
Because wizards have fuck-all for HP and are better off using their actions and slots to cast their normal spells.
>>
>>46363305
I don't think you can rage in wild shape? That's my main concern. I think straight Druid might work better... Maybe tavern brawler or as someone mentioned, shifter. See if your DM will let your shifter look human except when she uses her powers.
>>
>>46363670
Based on what I've looked at, Bladesinger isn't even that great as a gish, unless it's MCed. Of course, you are comparing it to Bladelock, a boon that is reputed to be... lackluster.

And yes, those fancy terms are specifically to mask the fact that I haven't played either ;)
>>
File: 1458908364725.jpg (166 KB, 744x625) Image search: [Google]
1458908364725.jpg
166 KB, 744x625
>>46363432
I don't just want to be a savage melee fighter. I want to be a shifter who can turn into an actual dire wolf/brown bear and do a better job at laying the hurt than some pissant werewolf without the foul magic involved.
>>
>>46363741
Ugh I so want to play a bladelock but it's so hard to make work.

What about... Fire gensai, constitution based cantrip/fire spell advances. First level in barbarian. max out constitution, charisma, strength. Pretty MAD, but powerful melee and ranged capabilities.
>>
>>46363751
Ah, I thought you meant "shifter" as in the Eberron race, trying to approximate the shifting ability with rage.

Yeah, as >>46363739 said, just go circle of the moon druid.
>>
File: 1435538356501.jpg (113 KB, 700x634) Image search: [Google]
1435538356501.jpg
113 KB, 700x634
>>46363739
I'm fairly certain my DM would agree with me that being angry and vicious is something that works just as well when you've become a bear.
>>46363882
I did in fact mean the race.
My main point is, is it not worth the 2 level dip? I feel like the damage resistance, boost to strength based attacks, opportunity for reckless attacks, and option of unarmored defense for a few extra AC in animal form without having to burn a spell and risk concentration on Barkskin. Despite being a full scaling caster, I would rather use those spells for support and a fallback strategy, save a couple to augment my melee if forced to fight after burning wildshapes and rages. Delaying the 6th level ability might hurt a tad, but then I don't know if I'd be able to find a polar or cave bear in order to use it for wildshape. Elemental wildshape isn't something I'd use as much either, and I think I'd be lucky for the campaign to last that long, forget the capstone.
>>
>>46363381
Eh, I've never played with a group or gm that cared about spell components.
>>
>>46363872
Although it won't be quite as grandiose, Draconic sorcerer might be a better choice, if more involved. Quicken lets you attack three times per turn with GFB, and you can just worry about boosting Dex and Cha (with a little Con on the side).

Of course, when you go down that route it becomes a question of when you stop being a bladelock...
>>
>>46364111

I've just started OotA with my Saturday group, and although I managed to steal back the Wizard's book and the Wizard's and Sorc's foci, myself, the party Ranger and the party Paladin have no foci. I took a good, hard look at my own materials and I realize that a lot of the spells I'm going for are simply V, S.
>>
>>46363739

Reading Wild Shape right now, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with Rage.

>You retain the benefits of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so.

Pretty sure bears can get angry.
>>
Which class has the most ice themed spells?
>>
>>46363751
i see what you mean with the magic thing. one option which... kind of works.

don't take the "power of nature" druid spells. take the minor buff ones, especially for cantrips. resistance, guidance, druidcraft. flavor it as you saying a quick prayer before battle.

the weird thing about shapeshifting in 5e is that it's hard to get GOOD at it. the power of shapeshifting is the VARIETY of forms, not the forms themselves.

i was googling around about optimizing druids, and they point out that druids can turn into swarms of rats. that's fascinating.
>>
File: 04f.jpg (83 KB, 500x551) Image search: [Google]
04f.jpg
83 KB, 500x551
Can I use Unseen Servant/Servants in Magnificent Mansion to give GHOST BLOWJOBS?
>>
>>46364141
i made a joke about muscle wizards to a group of players at my FLGS and that's all it was, a joke. but i'm determined to build one now
>>
>>46364213
Wizard I guess. There aren't that many.
>>
>>46363001
Wait, excuse my ignorance, but I thought spell scrolls still required material components if it had a cost?
>>
>>46364279
Nope, handjobs only.
>>
File: b47.jpg (54 KB, 603x393) Image search: [Google]
b47.jpg
54 KB, 603x393
>>46364325
>>
>>46364082
Hmm. RAW, nothing seems to prohibit raging in animal form. If you don't care too much about spellcasting, I'd say go for it.

Note: rage specifically adds damage to "melee weapon attacks," but the MM specifically says that natural weapons are used for weapon attacks. Rage away!
>>
>>46364213
From EEPC, druids get a little ice love with Frostbite, Ice Knife, and Investiture of Ice, while Sorcs and Wizards get those and Snilloc's Snowball Swarm.

In the PHB, we have Sleet Storm, Ice Storm, Cone of Cold, Ray of Frost, Wall of Ice, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, and Armor of Agathys. AoA is exclusive of the Warlock, Otiluke's and Wall of Ice appear to be exclusive to Wizards. Druids seem to only get it through the Land circle, Sorcerers get the rest, while Tempest Clerics get Ice and Sleet Storm.
>>
>>46364232
>...druids can turn into swarms of rats.
Citation needed? It's a Medium swarm of Tiny beasts.
Although that could be a neat new circle power.
>>
File: Occultist.png (2 MB, 1234x1051) Image search: [Google]
Occultist.png
2 MB, 1234x1051
So I'm making a GOO tomelock and I posted in the last thread about cantrips for my book of shadows. I think I'm going to go with thautmaturgy, guidance, and vicious mockery reskinned to be otherworldly incantations. Does this seem like a good pick? I'm a little concerned with vicious mockery not being as good as eldritch blast, but I figure that the added debuff and the other damage type would let me get some more use out of it as opposed to other damage cantrips. Thoughts?
>>
>>46364324
To the DMG!!!

"Some magic items allow the user to cast a spell from the item. The spell is cast at the lowest possible spell level, doesn't expend any of the user's spell slots, and requires no components, unless the item's description says otherwise." p. 141

And going over to page 200 of the DMG to the text for Spell Scrolls gives no text that indicates that it does require components.
>>
>>46364297
Immortal Mystic, Valor Bard poaching Paladin smite spells, or Fighter 1/Wizard X in heavy armor. All with Tavern Brawler.
>>
>>46364604
Good choices overall. Thaumaturgy could be replaced with something more mechanically useful, but choosing a few spells for flavor is fine too.

In battle, you'll likely be swapping between default Eldritch Blast, and Vicious Mockery when there's few enemies left and they don't use multiattacks.

Don't forget the constant paranoid mutterings and odd spasmodic twitches out of battle, with the mechanical effect of always having Guidance up whenever it's needed.
>>
>>46364604
Don't do flavor cantrips. Tome is utility. If you've got to take one of those cantrips, get druidcraft. Or mold earth for if you have a bunch of prep time. consider ray of frost for extra control?
>>
>>46364830
>>46364978
For the "crazy muttering out of combat," you could have him just be constantly casting mold earth
>>
>>46364978
Not him, but why Druidcraft over Thaumaturgy or Prestidigitation? I would think weather prediction is just as situational as, if not more so than, amplifying your voice and remotely opening doors, or cleaning and flavoring things.
>>
>>46365096
Crazy, paranoid mutterings are only crazy and paranoid if nothing seems to come of them. Otherwise they become crazy, blatant magic.
>>
Does CoS work with just 3 PCs i cant find a fucking player number anywhere.
>>
>>46365365
Might need a tiny bit of scaling down difficulty, but it should.
>>
>>46365365
It can work, but your gonna need to scale back the number of enemies in a fair number of situations to keep the party from getting overwhelmed.
>>
>>46365365
Sure, but give them an NPC ally to help with the early levels. Maybe an acolyte from the MM to keep them company.
>>
>>46365389
>>46365391
>>46365404
Thanks for the tips, i am probably going to run the intro game first to get them leveled, also since they are super new to D&D in general.
>>
>>46364279
unseen servant is better to have in your spellbook than mage hand in your cantrips because unseen servant is better in every way except casting time
>>
>>46365456
Yeah, i treat the Mines as like a tutorial stage
>>
>>46365456
on the other hand, you could say to the players "there is a chance that you won't survive this. play intelligently. don't get in over your heads."
>>
>>46356570
>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
>http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
>Homebrew making resources:
>https://mega.co.nz/#!dZBSCBSI!_Z3EDOc8RnFizNVvkGzyEBxVMKCN_MvgEv32K1Ql1r8

>It costs 1 point to gain +1 to 1 stat
>It costs 2.5 points to add +1 to 2 stats

why this
>>
>>46365558
Yeah I wish this group would actually do that but when we are playing Edge of the Empire they all react to shit like idiots. For instance one of them who is playing a wookie threw our smuggler out an airlock in space in an attempt to hijack anotjer ship passing them.
>>
>>46360699
>werewolf sword
A sword that inflicts lycanthropy sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>46365644
Make it not be silvered so you just turn your enemies into things the sword will no longer be able to hurt. It's the perfect plan!
>>
File: bestlich.jpg (86 KB, 1024x535) Image search: [Google]
bestlich.jpg
86 KB, 1024x535
>>46363086
Pretty much the 4E Wiz character creator would be amazing. Fighting the good fight, thanks anon
>>
File: 1457640346815.jpg (21 KB, 540x340) Image search: [Google]
1457640346815.jpg
21 KB, 540x340
Allow player playing as Edgy The Edgehog to refluff a battleaxe to a big ass-fuck Scythe, or try to find stats for one elsewhere?

And yes I know Scythes aren't practical irl you can save your breath.
>>
>>46365686
I imagine the sword itself carries a kind of curse. Like a wicked wolf spirit bound within in that corrupts the blood of anyone it tastes with beastly might.
>>
>>46365719
Refluff either halberd or greataxe, depending on what you feel is more appropriate. Don't bother with trying to make it yourself. Edgy will probably not appreciate your work if you did put forth the effort to make it for him.
>>
>>46365719
improvised farm weapon
>>
>>46365719
ouch

But sure, don't see why not, as long as he's not obnoxious about it, I.E. plays an evil character in a good campaign
>>
>>46365844
Ah I meant Greataxe, (I get those confused often), though a Halberd might be a better choice.
>>
So I made a quick attempt to recreate Pathfinder's Bloodrager in 5e, which is loosely described as a Barbarian that channels Sorcerer-style innate magic to create a rage infused with magic. It's not meant to be anything beyond a quick work up for a friend who wanted to play something similar, but I was wondering if /tg/ minded giving it a quick look over to see if there were any glaring problems with it or if there was anything I could improve on. This is a Path option for the Barbarian, I should say, taken in place of the likes of Berzerker or Totem Warrior.
Lv3~
Spellcasting: Progression as Eldritch Knight utilising Charisma as its casting stat and drawing from the Sorcerer spell list. Spells can be cast and concentration can be maintained even while raging, an exception to the usual rules. Limitations on spell choice are on Evocation and Transmutation as opposed to Eldritch Knight’s limitations that allow only Evocation and Abjuration. The Bloodrager can use arcane foci for spells.

Arcane Charge: While raging, all of your attacks are considered magical for the purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage and any weapon you wield counts as an arcane focus.

Lv6~
War Magic: Beginning at 7th level, when you use your action to cast a cantrip, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

Lv10~
Eldritch Toil: Your raw, overwhelmingly powerful source of magic disrupts the very nature of spells cast on you. While raging you have advantage on all saves against magic and you have resistance on the damage of spells.

Lv14~
Overwhelming Aura: At 14th level you release an aura of powerful magic. While raging if a creature hits you with a melee attack while raging they receive force damage equal to your your rage damage modifier. Furthermore you also shed bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet.
>>
>>46365644

I should have probably mentioned in the story that it was literally the same thing as getting bitten by a werewolf. I was actually able to get it cured once we got to the elven city. In other words, useless.

And honestly, I'd agree that it's cool, if it were in the hands of someone who could control werewolves. Like, a really powerful werewolf or something, I don't know.

But a vampire? Even if there's no cliche Underworld style "monster war" (and if there is, you're just making troops for the enemy, congrats) it still only serves to make your foe stronger.

See, there's two outcomes here.

1: The vampire kills the opponent he has inflicted with lycanthropy, which then brings into question why he would use a sword with a functionally useless enchantment in the first place.

2: Either the vampire or the inflicted person runs away from the battle. So now, Mr. Vampire, you have a guy who you just turned into a powerful monster. If you were on even fighting terms before (which, if either one of them had an option to run away, they more than likely were), you sure as shit aren't now, and you can bet your ass he's gonna be hunting you down for revenge. Also it's not like the sword gave him control over werewolves. If it did, he sure as shit didn't use that on me.

The only reason that that DM used it on my character was that he has a fucking fetish for turning PCs into lycanthropes. Fuck man, when we still in middle school and I played in my very first campaign, he took over as DM as couple of times. During a battle with something, I don't remember what because this is literally over a decade ago, a weretiger appeared out of nowhere, bit my character and then ran off. So now I was a weretiger. Keep in mind, we were in the Underdark at the time, so that made literally no sense at all, and was just a shit DM pushing his weird fascination with were-creatures on the party.
>>
File: 1436527663805.jpg (166 KB, 736x963) Image search: [Google]
1436527663805.jpg
166 KB, 736x963
At what level would the addition of a monster template to a player character make little to no difference?

I ask Because I want to be a level 14 half gold dragon in a campaign that's high powered as all hell. and I figure that 4d10 fire damage isn't a big deal every third round.
>>
>>46366100
Just be a dragonborn dude. It's functionally the same without being op. If EVERYONE is using OP monsters as their race then it doesn't matter, otherwise just use core.
>>
>>46366100
Depends on the template. Lycanthrope templates make less of a difference, but are still significant at higher levels.

Half-dragon is not as bad, but it could be combined with Darkness to empower combos that normally require two levels of Warlock. That could be a problem...

Vampires are insane. Just... No.
>>
File: starvingDM.jpg (280 KB, 632x472) Image search: [Google]
starvingDM.jpg
280 KB, 632x472
Just a theoretical, as fuck vampires as PCs unless it's a evil campaign (or a evil player in a well done campaign), but would wearing a cloak + gloves be enough to circumvent the Sunlight vulnerability of a vampire? If not, what are some ways that would allow a vampire to walk through daylight without looking too fucking crazy (or ones that do make him look crazy).
>>
>>46366256
It's not possible without magic items, or extremely overcast weather. It's not something you are supposed to just "Oh I wore my thick cloak and hat" away, it's a MAJOR weakness, as it should be.
>>
>>46366138
Its not really the same when you break it down, fluff-wise or mechanically, but I have my own opinions on the dragonborn and I'm pretty sure no one care about that.

>>46366174
Would they be so bad if you planned around them ahead of time? I'm thinking about running a short, high-level game and just telling the players to go nuts; or maybe a Halloween game in October.
>>
File: 1390972099307.jpg (256 KB, 650x876) Image search: [Google]
1390972099307.jpg
256 KB, 650x876
>Adventure League at the LGS with two friends (CoS)
>Ask to be put at the same table (there were 3)
>I've been playing D&D for 10+ years, same with friend 1
>friend 2 is a two month old noob that I trained
>Other table has the old farts, one of whom is overpowered due to level5 +Dawnblade
>Third table is some family group that's completely new
>Main encounter is 3 night hags at level 3
>My table spends an hour grinding through them
>Overpowered table mops the floor with them
>Noobs get TPK'd
>The DM's passive aggressively blame me and my friends for it
>"when people ask to play in groups we can't balance the noobs with experienced players"

I think I would have been kicked out but I really wanted to just say "sucks to suck, we'll go to your competitor if you try to break us up. We're not here to babysit"

Anyone else had to deal with this kind of shit?
>>
File: 1399827314167.jpg (27 KB, 286x380) Image search: [Google]
1399827314167.jpg
27 KB, 286x380
>>46366624
Also, someone please tell me where the fuck to go so that I can buy a god damn alchemical silvering for my longsword. I do dick all right now and I wouldn't be having fun if it weren't for the obnoxious Russian accents and getting into unplanned bar fights.

We just arrived in Vallaki where I thought I'd be able to buy a silvering and was sorely disappointed. No, I didn't get the one from Death Hose.
>>
>>46366710
the musician entertainer guy might know where to go
>>
>>46366733
Haven't met him yet, we went straight to church and got the bone fetch quest, went to the guy in the bar and punched him in the face with beer until he spoke and we had to end there because the night hag fight took us so long. So, anything specific we have to do to stumble on this guy after the coffin shop?
>>
>>46366624
I've never seen a problem like this before personally. Though that may be because I usually only play a couple weekdays a week which are currently running an OotA campaign, so assuming the whole table doesn't up and leave those days we only get one oddball player of questionable experience every now and again when someone is busy or missing for that week.
>>
>>46366770
the hut with wheels and the maker of small people hold many secrets and rumors
>>
>>46366819
>maker of small people
oh, neat, if that's what I think it is, that was our next stop.
>>
>>46358850
Get dragon Sorc 1 so you need no armour +gain cantrips.

18 AC with no gear is nothing to sneeze at and the +1 to Hp per level will make you beefy.
>>
>>46366577
Well, that depends. If you want to harm the lycanthropes, you need to have enemies either using magic, having magical weapons, or having silvered weapons. That's wonderful for the PCs, as it means it's a good bet that every weapon that deals damage is valuable to sell.

For half-dragon, it's not nearly so bad. Honestly, it's more of a "fuck you" to dragonborn, as this person gets for free what they sacrificed their racial abilities for, but they also get more.

Vampires are... Fuck vampires. 18 across all physical stats, and you weigh down the party worse than drow/duergar? Fuck them, sideways and fervently.
>>
>>46366860

>the +1 to Hp per level

That would be really good. Basically half of the toughness feat, just for multiclassing. It doesn't quite work that way, unfortunately. From the book:

>At 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class.
>"in this class" being the relevant bit
>>
>>46366860
+1 to hp per Sorcerer level, the Paladin levels won't count.
>>
How valuable is it, as a melee class, to go from 18 strength to 20? Feats seem pretty good.
>>
So we are playing Out of the Abyss and the barbarian (who just joined in the second session) got oneshoted by a vrock.
It was the start of the session so the DM gives the player the option of changing the name of the character and keep playing saying that it was the barb's brother who was also prisoner or something.
I was against it but we roll with it.
Was it ok? what would you do?
>>
>>46367172

Did it do enough damage to trigger the massive damage instadeath? Because otherwise he should have gone through his death saves, and if the DM didn't want him to die then he could have just said that he passed his saves.

Some of my players got dropped in the first encounter in LMoP but I didn't make them roll death saves or anything because that'd just be cruel.
>>
>>46366960
>>46366961
My new is showing.
I should re-read the PHB.

>>46367170
It's the difference between a +4 and a +5 Str mod which is pretty damn important at lower levels thanks to low prof bonus.
I'd say unless you are taking tavern brawler, defensive duelist and the like then wait till after lvl 7 with the feats.
>>
>>46367214
Yes, it was enough damage for instadeath. I'm not in favor of saving a PC out of pity, neither saying "oh you die but your twin brother joins the party"
>>
File: Capture.png (148 KB, 381x181) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
148 KB, 381x181
I have recently jumped up from 3.5, currently enjoying myself

However, I have a question. Why is the art on the so awful? Half the characters look like shit, it's disgusting. And they look just pasted on the page, it looks like they're floating over a shitty shadow
>>
File: Capture2.png (977 KB, 494x862) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
977 KB, 494x862
>>46367428
>he doesn't like the art
>>
>>46367428
It's probably Mike Mearls fault.
>>
>>46367428
>>46367449
Samefag
>>
File: Capture.png (15 KB, 73x66) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
15 KB, 73x66
>>46367449
mfw
>>
>>46367428
>>46367449
I liked it, and most the players in my group seem to generally prefer it to 3.5's
But holy fuck those halflings and gnomes are just terrible. I don't know if they just gave weird proportion guidelines or what, but mistakes were made
>>
>>46367172
Wait, a vrock during the second session?

I'm running OotA right now and that doesn't seem right. What were you doing at the time?
>>
>>46367517
The dwarves too, the head is too big they look like IRL dwarves
>>
>>46353116
Halfling Champion with Mounted Combatant and Dual Wielder. Dual Wield Lances.

Half-Orc is still your best bet though, if you want to maximize crits in general.
>>
>>46367449
this is legit my favorite piece of art in 5e.
>>
File: lelf 5e.png (1 MB, 1096x731) Image search: [Google]
lelf 5e.png
1 MB, 1096x731
>>46367545
>>
>>46367521
It's probably the option for the weakened Vrock during the escape from Velkynvelve.
If it rolls high initiative it can easily one-shot a party member.
>>
>>46367538
The one in the races section looks a bit off, but none of the rest really caught my attention
>>
File: qt samurai.png (406 KB, 405x650) Image search: [Google]
qt samurai.png
406 KB, 405x650
>>46367545

This cutie is my favorite, though it's hilarious how far off she is from the rest of the art in the book stylistically.
>>
>>46367577
I guess it makes sense for the GM to use "vrocks fall" if the party hasn't escaped by the second session.
>>
File: Capture.png (700 KB, 398x693) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
700 KB, 398x693
>>46367580
Besides the fact that they all look pasted on the page, no blending at all, I guess you are right. Maybe it's just a matter of taste here, but I just don't really like the 'realistic' look they went for
>>
>>46367615
>I just don't really like the 'realistic' look they went for
Wayne Reynolds pls leave
>>
>>46367449

/tg/, look at that halfling.

Just, really look at her.

Her head is too big, and her hands are way too small, as are her feet. Also, that hair style is like, so not her, she should really consider letting it down to cover her massive forehead. Basically, she's just a freakish little fucker.

But she doesn't care about any of that. She just wants to rock out on her little lute. Look at the pure joy on her face. Her eyes are closed she's rocking out so hard. Look at the little flute sticking out of her bag, for when she gets tired playing that lute; she's a one tiny-malformed-woman band. She's enjoying life, despite how horrifying she looks. That's inspiring, ya know?
>>
File: samuraiqt.jpg (93 KB, 405x650) Image search: [Google]
samuraiqt.jpg
93 KB, 405x650
>>46367584
>>
>>46367649
kek
>>
File: cleric_asmodeus.jpg (46 KB, 492x822) Image search: [Google]
cleric_asmodeus.jpg
46 KB, 492x822
>>46367630
His art is wonderful, though. pic related
>>
File: billyquizboy.jpg (23 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
billyquizboy.jpg
23 KB, 280x210
>>46367648
This is all I can think about when I see those halflings
>>
>>46367676
Some sort of sad triangle man. Did he want to be a different shape?
>>
>>46367676

>man this hat really blocks my peripheal vison
>this mace is heavy, I want to put it down
>OUCH, poked myself with my shield again
>did I put on enough pentacles? I really hope I have enough pentacles
>all these tassles keeping getting caught on stuff
>why did I even bring this crossbow, stupid thing barely works
>my feet hurt, these shoes were a bad choice
>I want to go home
>>
>>46367521
First session we escaped the prision and got our stuff; drows and vrocks start fighting.
Second session we decide to avoid the fight and take the path in the center that leads to the lake. Jump in the waterfall and swim to the shore. Encounter a gel cube, do some damage and it goes away.
Then the vrock falls. It was injured so we decide to kill it even though the DM described it as dangerous and daunting. Barbarian charges and then dies.
With clever use of spells and good rolls we manage to take it down. Then we get in the tunnel
The DM told us that he didn't use the vrock resistances.
>>
File: 1423096551131.png (2 KB, 184x156) Image search: [Google]
1423096551131.png
2 KB, 184x156
>>46367648
We could all stand to learn a thing or two from her.
>>
>>46367713
>>46367696
>anon doesn't play characters mad stylin
enjoy leaving an ugly corpse
>>
>>46358545
Reasoned response because I've had reason to consider this before.

When a player wants to convince an NPC to do something, the DM sets the DC to succeed. Like jumping over the moon, not every thing a player may suggest will have a chance to work.

When a player wants convince another PC to do something, that PC's player sets the DC to succeed. It may just be impossible. The same rules can go for a DM to use social skill rolls directed at a PC. In either case, you probably won't know the DC before the roll.

Long story short, the Player is always in control of their PC.

If it's something that requires opposed checks, it can usually be resolved by the normal contest rules.
>>
>>46367715
The fight was winnable even if he used resistances, the thing was at a tiny fraction of its max hp.

I guess things makes sense now, though. The vrock does fucking hurt.
>>
File: sad cleric.jpg (119 KB, 492x822) Image search: [Google]
sad cleric.jpg
119 KB, 492x822
>>46367713
>>
I'm considering mixing the versatile rules of both 4e and 5e together -- you get the bumped up damage die AND a static +1 to damage when two-handing a versatile weapon.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>46367917
I don't see it really breaking anything.
At the moment I don't really see that much point to two-handing a versatile weapon when the dueling style makes one-handed use superior.
>>
>>46367917
Not much would really change. The only thing getting the short end of the stick is the polearms (to make a shitty pun), but there's plenty of reason to use them still if you're allowing feats like I assume most people do
>>
File: 1455476780152.jpg (66 KB, 762x591) Image search: [Google]
1455476780152.jpg
66 KB, 762x591
>Show up to a game
>one player has two approved characters, both Gnomes
>another rolled up a kender rogue
>Third had to have his character made for him, still doesn't understand wizards can't pick and choose what spells they want to cast right then (from any class spell list, at that) even after his spells prepared list was done in front of him, and continued after the session was over
>Fourth player shows up with a paladin playing Guts From berserk as a paladin, literally named guts on the sheet, has griffiths/beskerker armor helmet as a soldier trophy (he couldn't decide)
>Fifth character didn't write down/remember his characters name, race,.or archetype, rest of his sheet looks like its been gone over 18 times, has no ability score below 15
And worst of all
>I rolled up a CE drow with this group, am only evil character, everyone else is neutral
>I still plan to go to the next session
and I look forward to it
>>
>>46368059>>46368022

That wasn't worth deleting for anon, you should feel bad.
>>
>>46368076
I already feel bad. All the time.
But I consider the last part the worst part of the whole deal.
>>
>>46368059
I know there's a lot to be upset about there there, but making Guts as a fucking paladin instead of barbarian is just not okay.
>>
how have WotC not created some sort of interactive character creator yet?

trying to get my friends into dnd and it'd be a lot easier if we didn't have to scour the phb and internet for shit
>>
>>46368108
>I want to encourage my players to never even open the PHB

You are the problem
>>
i have a player who is deadset on wanting his level 1 fighter to be able to transphorm into a fucking were-bear

how would you guys suggest I deal with this? don't want to tell the guy no because he's a good player otherwise. Should I make a massively scaled down werebear transformation or something?

>>46368059
why the metric fuck would you play with that group again
>>
>>46368139
>how would you guys suggest I deal with this?
Tell him to-
>don't want to tell the guy no
I got nothing.
>>
>>46368121
I want my players to be able to make their character without fucking anything up and making me do it for them

don't enable WotC's laziness
>>
>>46368139
Shifter from UA Eberron.
>>
>>46368103
I've never actually seen the anime, but isn't it only that one armor that causes him to go nuts? And he wears heavy armor normally?
I'm 55% sure the DM is gonna try to give that wolf armor to him.
>>46368139
I have no idea.
>>
>>46368148
How many companies do interactive character creators?
The only game I can think of that has an official one is DnD 4th
>>
>>46359052
He did say he'd take Medium Armor Master to make up for that, but
>Spending a feat for +1 AC.

>>46363001
Since Arcane Recovery doesn't allow slots of 6th level or higher, and Infuse Scroll is playtest UA material, I wouldn't allow scrolls of spells of 6th level or higher either. After that, saving on material components is debatable. After all, they don't get an scribing cost reduction.

>>46363617
The ability to make a real magic item every month is not a ribbon. Immovable Rods, man.

>>46363670
Adding in the fact that Bladelocks have a better hit die, other class features (like Fiend Patron's temp hp), and the ability to use a two-handed weapon for more damage.

>>46365489
Well, I think Mage Hand moves faster too.

>>46365887
>though a Halberd might be a better choice.
Why not base it on a glaive instead. Seems more similar.
Sorry. Couldn't help it.

>>46365921
I don't even want to consider whether spellcasting is overpowered for a barbarian path or not.

>Arcane Charge:
Dude, no. You can take Magic Weapon in school. Just no. How about adding your rage damage to your spell's damage rolls. Or some kind of magical mobility effect when you activate rage.

>While raging if a creature hits you with a melee attack while raging
So it only works against other barbarians? Could be based on fire aura/heated body pretty easily. Just make it 1d6.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.