[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you ruin a D&D campaign?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11
File: 1450646190133.gif (1 MB, 300x191) Image search: [Google]
1450646190133.gif
1 MB, 300x191
Remember, it MUST be within the boundaries of the rules!

Share your ideas tg!
>>
>>46355043
Depends on the person running the game.
In one game, our group as a whole opted to kill the mayor's daughter that we were sent to rescue (and blame the orcs that kidnapped her) despite my scout shooting her in the back with his shortbow...and us running her over...twice...with the wizard's carriage.

Beyond that...perhaps killing one or two PC's in 'accidents' would work to derail things as you learn more about the group.
>>
Kill yourself.
>>
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Peasant_Railgun
>>
>>46355043
While the campaign is in its formative stage, override the GM with all sorts of things, telling him exactly how things should be run and what should or should not be in the campaign, being an absolute stickler in the rules.

Then leave at the second session, making the GM lose about 4/5 of his work and plot involving you as the central character in the story.
>>
>>46355043
Use 4E
>>
>>46355159

The problem is that the DM wants to run the game like fkin Stalin, he won't allow anything that he doesn't like to be featured
>>
>>46355133
Why does everyone think this works? It doesn't. Not even in a "muh realism" sense, but by the rules themselves.
>>
>>46355098

I like the "accidents" idea. Well the blame-game was worked in previous campaigns but I'm not sure it might this time :/
>>
>>46355043
To clarify what OP means, since I will be playing in the same group. Our DM is a railroading piece of shit faggot. We want to be able to absolutely break the game within the boundaries of the rules (because our DM is rule faggot), and we will all be starting at first level. so the question is how you most efficiently destroy a game at level 1.
>>
>>46355361
The best way to ruin a game is to not play. Dead games can't suck.
>>
>>46355361
How about you just don't play? Seems like am ore effective way to not put up with a campaign you know is going to be shit.
>>
>>46355361
>>46355043
I have two answers for you:

Realistic Answer: If your DM is as much of a railroading asshole as you say, nothing you can do will break the game. He'll either say "no" or come up with a reason why it doesn't work.

Rational Answer: Be less of a passive-aggressive asshole and talk to your DM if you don't like how the game is run.
>>
>>46355382
>>46355389
well that's not fun.

>>46355405
nice try my man, we've tried that. We just want some way to circumvent the rules, because we know that he is too autistic to not play by the rules.

Just want to see the cognitive dissonance.

Got any tricks to share?
>>
>>46355426
Just quit, nobody's going to help you be a petty little asshole. Grow up.
>>
>>46355426
I have one simple trick to thoroughly mess with your DM's mind.

Step 1: Play the game like he wants. Lure him inot a false sense of security.
Step 2: Hint at shenanigans. Be subtle.
Step 3: Continue playing game until completion, completely by the rules.

Now no one gets to have fun! Aren't you proud of yourselves for being equal opportunity douchebags?
>>
>>46355426
Have the entire party play identical characters? Preferably something nice and bland, but strong at low levels.
All greatsword wielding fighters or something
>>
it's D&D, it's already doomed
>>
>>46355496
That's a great idea. We've been thinking about something in line with this, and all characters will have subtle hints of homoerotic personalities/bonds.
>>46355466
>Just quit,
yes, leave the thread, quit. You clearly don't want to provide anything here.
>nobody's going to help you be a petty little asshole.
plenty of people provided good ideas.
>Grow up.
Your on a Chinese cartoon board talking about play pretend games with other neck-beards yet you want to pretend that you're grown up?

stay classy faggot, I'm sure you feel really grown up right now.
>>
>>46355426
>> Got any tricks to share?

Yes, tons but none of them are going to work if your DM is as bad as you say he is. If you don't like the game, and the DM won't listen to reason either:
A) Find someone else to DM (or DM yourself)
B) Be less of a cunt and suffer.
C) Leave the group.
>>
>>46355295
>everyone
>one guy posts it
>pretty much ignored otherwise

SURE IS EVERYONE IN HERE
>>
>>46355563
>Yes, tons but none of them are going to work if your DM is as bad as you say he is.
he is just a massive rule faggot. So if it is within the rules he will without doubt fall for it.

As I stated before, he loves rules, and simply wont stray from them.

so go ahead and share your ideas.
>>
Bring in a girl
>>
>>46355614
we already have(it's his gf),we thought that he will surely grant her benefits and that we will use those benefits against him later. After all, it is easier to suggest that we do game breaking things if we use her as a proxy for our ideas.
>>
>>46355593
I really don't see the point. Weapons-grade character optimization is for theoretical use only. Nothing of value is going to result from using it in a real game other than being a cunt to some autistic little fuck. Be an adult, and leave the group or (if everyone else agrees with you) then kick him out and have someone else DM.
>>
This whole thread sounds like a bunch of shitty players who are acting like 4 year olds and were upset that their DM wouldn't break the game for them when they fucked up. How do people not understand that the very first thing you do is talk to someone, and if that doesn't work than just fucking leave. Sorry they don't like to play the pretend game the same way you do, literal fucking autism.
>>
>>46355043

Make a warlock, bide your time until you get Bestow Curse at will.

Point out that genderswapping is a valid curse result, and as it has no mechanical impact it is well within your rights as an alternate curse effect.

Throw around genderswap curses just all the goddamn time, and make it clear that this is your warlock's fetish.

That should derail basically any game pretty easily. It won't cause the game to just flat out end, but for any GM trying to lead you down a story changing the sex of his special NPCs is going to make him bloody furious.

You don't even need to buff your DCs much, since you can use it at will. Just keep trying until it works, it costs you nothing.
>>
>>46355565
Fuck off autist, you know damn well what I meant.
>>
>>46355773
You're a genius.
>>
>>46355773
>picking any character that directly has to listen to the DM
You're a warlock
How exactly did you get the ability to bestow curses again?
>>
>>46355825

Reaching level 6. Same way I got those extra hitpoints.
>>
>>46355917
You're a warlock.
Who is giving you the ability to bestow curses?
Any attempt to derailroad with a warlock will lead to immediate punishment or denial, because your character is inherently someone else's bitch.
>>
>>46355544
If you want to lay it on thick, make their names all an anagram of the same word.

>Riala Dro
>Darol Rai
>Ao Ral-Dri
>Aliro Dar
>Irala Dio
>Dail Roar
>>
>>46355988

Warlocks are not paladins. There is nothing in the rules that gives the GM an opening to take away class abilities.

If the GM decides to do so anyway, the game is dead and the derail is successfully achieved because the GM has visibly and clearly stepped over the line by taking away things that are protected by the social contract of play.

From a fluff perspective, what sort of patron would agree to give me the ability to cast curses if they didn't want me to use it? I presumably paid for it with dark magic or whatever, why should they care how I use it on people that don't work for them?
>>
>>46356076
You're a warlock. The inherent nature of the class allows a DM to take away powers at will. Clerics and Paladins AND Warlocks are all subject to this. Your power isn't your own. Some patrons are more forceful than others, and if they think you're dicking around and not getting their objectives done, it doesn't take much DM work to have the patron say the equivalent of "stop fucking around, that's not the reason I gave you your powers."
ESPECIALLY in the context of a railroading DM, it's low hanging fruit. If you were actually serious about fucking over a DM (which is autistic and childish in the first place instead of just leaving), you'd go wizard or sorcerer or some other route that isn't under the beck and call of a cosmic entity, ALL OF WHICH ARE UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE DM.
>>
>>46356237
lol anon you try so hard, and yet at the end of the day you're still just an embarrassing moron
>>
>>46356237

> implying wizards don't still answer to the god of magic
> implying master blacksmiths cannot recall the power they imbued into your equipment at any time
> implying the thieves guild doesn't own your ass for having trained you

If you are going to play by that logic, any character's class can be used against them by a GM that has no respect for the rules.
>>
>>46356388
and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you always play fighter.
>>
>>46356417
>your father appears
>"I have made you, I can unmake you!"
>he reabsorbs you into his balls
Checkmate fagits
>>
All these fags that refuse to participate in the thread under the premises that OP provided, yet they whine about "hurr durr jus dun play".

Fuck off if you dont have any suggestions relating to rule abuse.
>>
>>46356635
Fuck off, and tell me what edition you want to break first. Shit like that is important.
>>
>>46356735
5e
>>
Don't do anything

bog every session down with meaningless OOC chatter, have your character just stand around, and always argue when it comes to a decision
>>
>>46355361
have you heard the tale of Old Man Henderson?
>>
>>46356827
That is a possible way of handling it. But we were thinking more inline with mechanical abuse (like items/spells/feats/rules etc).

Otherwise the easiest thing would be to not play at all, but that's as you might have noticed not the direction we want to take.
>>
File: 1449903433939.jpg (42 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1449903433939.jpg
42 KB, 320x240
One that actually happened for my group a while back:

>Playing with a few people that are new to D&D
>Therefore we're playing it pretty loose
>Get up a banshee's house
>We've gathered information that this banshee knows of the location of the big valuable thing the bad guys are looking for
>DM stops us and points out he's been gracious with behavior but right here for this part we be careful with anything we say
>Banshee shows up, pissed off at us
>My character, a Half Elf Bard, presents her with a silver comb we looted telling her it better suits ther, a beautiful pure blooded elf than my lowly half breed self
>Banshee is calmed, says she will answer one question only
>Party is whispering how we should phrase the question to make sure we get all the information needed without coming off as cheating her
>DM mentions the Banshee is getting annoyed at this waiting
>Friend blurts out "Is it okay if we have a few more moments to discuss this?"
>DM hangs his head and sighs before saying: "The Banshee flatly replies with 'No' before vanishing without a trace."

And there went a gigantic quest hook and the team's morale.
>>
>>46356935
If that's REALLY all you want, just go look at 5E optimization stuff on RPGnet or other site.
>>
>>46356875
320 pages of backstory
>>
Okay, fuck it, OP has me curious; what, exactly, has he done to deserve beng "trolled"? You mention that he'sa rules lawyer, but you haven't given us any examples of poor DMing.
>>
>>46357093
Restarting the same plot over 6 times (lost count after 6th time), with minor differences because" the plot didn't play out exactly like he imagined it.

Forcing people to rewrite their characters at late levels to such a degree that they were barely the same character because "he found a new rule he wanted to try out".

And much more, but luckily he isn't our only DM otherwise we would never let him play with us. The reasons for why don't simply quit are many, but quiting would seriously fuck a SHIT load of thincs outside of games. Besides, I think we all enjoy messing with him from time to time.

Really just so much we can go into here. But the simplest and most abridged version would be;

He's gonna run this game and for far too many reasons we wont simply be able to refuse indefinitly (sooner or later we will play it)

He will then proceed as usual.
And we want to be able to enjoy the ride by abusing rule faggotry just as much as he is abusing it, so why not just learn some loopholes.

Besides some other anons posted things like "make all characters identical" and that could be fun to try out as well.

Doesn't only have to be rule abuse (even though that is the main priority), can also be things like how to efficiently bend a campaign to ones own whims like some of the earlier anons suggested.

All in all, its mostly a harmless joke if anything, just want it to be elaborate
>>
>>46357381
Bring in a new player.
Said new player is actually a therapist.
Someone in this group needs to get their head sorted out.
>>
>>46356768
Can't be done. 5e is unbreakable.
>>
If he is the type to be really into RP make a bunch of super interesting horribly optimized characters. Any concept that doesn't conform well to the class system will work. Make him feel at a loss when he sees your group struggling with the horrible things happening to these people that they are powerless to prevent happening. Make him love the characters more than you do. Make him afraid to see them forced into combat.
>>
>>46355544
>"our DM is an asshole"
>proceeds to act like a total cunt while asking about how to sabotage a game

Yeah, I'm betting that at the very least you're just as bad as he is.
>>
>>46356287

You have to be 18 to post on 4chan, kiddo.
>>
>>46355295
Why doesn't this work by the rules?
>>
Came for funny exploits got lots of whining.
>>
>>46355648
even better. bring a girl thats way hotter than your GF and instruct her not to play and only flirt with DM. but maybe you dont want to go this personal and potentionally getting involved in broken relationships
>>
>>46358890
This
>>
Convince everyone to be a wizard, stack up on grease, sleep and AOEs. Proceed to shit on everything.
>>
>>46355361
>>46355043

Have you tried not being a pair of fucking children and actually talk with your DM?
>>
>>46359076
Have you tried reading the fucking thread? Yes we have
>>
>>46359076
Yes, OP has said he tried and failed.
>>
File: 1440848309642.jpg (66 KB, 672x712) Image search: [Google]
1440848309642.jpg
66 KB, 672x712
>>46355544
You are one use of the word kiddo away from being the biggest non-troll piece of shit I've seen on /tg/ in the last 4 years. Go back to whatever cesspit of a board or subreddit you crawled out of. Either don't play the DM's game, or don't be a piece of shit and talk to him about whatever problem you have before playing the game.
>>
>>46359167
Okay kiddo. Now fuck off and suck our DMs dick somewhere else
>>
>>46359108
>>46359141

Have you tried growing a pair and tell the DM that you don't want to play instead of sabotaging someone's game "for the lulz"?
>>
>>46356875

Have you heard of not being a faggot of titanic proportions?
>>
>>46359438
Yeah, I guess you need some pointers?
>>
>>46357381
I want a complete list of the shit he's pulled, with details, before I help you.
>>
>>46358798
There's no rules for acceleration/damage based on acceleration, and free actions can only be taken while in combat for starters.
>>
>>46355773
>tfw you discover your GM's fetish
>>
>>46355043
Play lawful good:

>We can't take that monster's treasure! It'd be stealing!
>We can't break into the cultists' lair! That's trespassing!
>I'm calling the local constabulary!!!
>>
>>46355176
>Use 3.XE

FTFY
>>
>>46355043
Grappling.
>>
>>46360487
I wish my players were overly moral rather than immoral
>>
File: boredom 2.jpg (46 KB, 488x541) Image search: [Google]
boredom 2.jpg
46 KB, 488x541
>>46355043
Be my flatmate.

Bug me endlessly for months to run a campaign despite the fact that I'm ill and busy and then act like a condescending prick when I do get around to running one.

Create a character with an interesting premise, then add over 2,500 words of useless, shitty backstory that I can't use in any way.

Play said character as yourself, with the exact same mannerisms and demeanour that you have while completely overlooking the fact you're supposed to be a badass dragon pirate guy.

Refuse to show a backbone in any situation and leave the decision making up to the others, going along with them while nitpicking their ideas and actions.

Ignore potential plot hooks and interesting things in the world in favour of being spoon fed a generic adventure story in which I give you some shitty waifu and make you feel cool, rather than forging your own narrative though interaction with the world and letting cool things happen.

Be the weakest player in the group who drives interesting potential players away, and who I want to replace but can't because we host it at my flat.
>>
>>46360198
You still have the peasant instant mail delivery.

Just punch one to initiate combat.
>>
>>46360691
>Just punch one to initiate combat.
Why do I get the feeling that this phrase has been misused far too many times.
>>
>>46359236

Make me, kiddo.

And btw your DM is sounding better by the second. I bet the only reason he has to stick by the rules and railroad is because you players are a bunch of lolsorandumb murderhobo edgemeister cuntshitters.
>>
>>46360691
That doesn't mean everyone in the line is automatically in combat. And, knowing peasants, they'll most likely scatter anyway.
>>
>>46355311
Accidentally include allies in your AoE Spell effects, as long as you are targeting the enemies nearby, but put them on the edge so it looks like an accident.
Or...'Accidentally' push someone over a ledge in a sewer when they ask if the rest of the party (already down there) are ok.
Or if you're a rogue...accidentally forget to disarm a few traps here and there.
>>
File: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.png (211 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.png
211 KB, 500x500
>>46361025
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HOW DID YOU KNOW?
>>
>>46356935
Build a Psion using the Metacreativity dicipline.
Choose the Psionic Body feat, and take Expanded knowledge whenever you can along with the feat Boost Construct.

Then choose powers (spells) that will allow you to circumvent most forms of defenses.

If you can think, you can manifest a psionic power.

Most of your feats will be used to get more powers. Giving yourself a Self-Heal (Body Adjustment) also helps mitigate your need for a cleric.

Then kill all the important NPCs on the premise that they MAY be villains at some point, so you are dealing with them pre-emptively.

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't kill something in its sleep using an attack power as a coup de grace attack.

More effective for this (at first level) though would be playing a rogue. Wait for your watch shift while the DMPC is sleeping, sneak into his tent (under the premise to wake him) and cut his throat.

No first level character will survive such a coup de grace.
The DMPC will need to follow those same rules, and there is no way (statistically) the character can survive a rogue making a coup-de-grace.

You can utilize many of these techniques on any NPC's that are travelling with you, or even the other player characters.
>>
File: 1443093836882.jpg (14 KB, 170x135) Image search: [Google]
1443093836882.jpg
14 KB, 170x135
>>46361025
>not being lolsorandumb murderhobo edgemeister cuntshitters.
Why would you play rolepalying then?
>>
>>46355043
Invite OP to the game.
>>
File: 1456937440843.png (883 KB, 1668x1831) Image search: [Google]
1456937440843.png
883 KB, 1668x1831
>>46366977
>>
File: 1457363993863.jpg (200 KB, 680x727) Image search: [Google]
1457363993863.jpg
200 KB, 680x727
>>46355043
Use prestidigation to split the atom.
>>
>>46355043
Ok, now a day has passed, let's get this down.
1: WHAT EDITION, FAGGOT? There's 5 and also pathfinder is often called D&D. I'm assuming 5th because someone mentioned it and assume that gaylord is you.

2: WHAT LEVEL, WANKER? Are you starting from scratch, or working things from a higher level?

3: WHAT'S THE PLOT, ASSMUNCHER? He's started the same plot 6 times, what happens?

4: HOW CAN YOU THINK TO RUIN A GAME WHEN HE IS JUST GOING TO RESTART IT AGAIN AS SOON AS YOU TRY HINTING AT GETTING OFF THE RAILS, YOU COCK-INFESTED BALLGARGLER?
>>
>>46366504
Holy shit you're a faggot.
>>
File: 1459041485068.png (152 KB, 573x245) Image search: [Google]
1459041485068.png
152 KB, 573x245
>>46369364
>>
>>46361025
No I'm sorry, I can't make you stop sucking our DM's dick, that's impossible. You're too fond of doing it
>>
Step 1: Make a grappler.
Step 2: Everyone support the grappler with aid another
Step 3: Manacle any one he pins
Step 4: Gangbang

Alt

Step 1: Make a dominator
Step 2: You get the idea..
>>
>>46361025
haha op got shitted on
>>
>>46370180
Nice samefagging
>>
>>46370193
lol thanks
>>
>>46370227
You're welcome mate. I recognize talent when I see it, your skills didn't pass me by without a notice.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 480x516) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 480x516
>>46361025
>>
File: 1344627744055.png (470 KB, 800x1096) Image search: [Google]
1344627744055.png
470 KB, 800x1096
>>46356875
THAT STORY IS GOLD

(Pic Related)
>>
The people from my gaming group be a simple folk. And by simple I mean dumb as ALL THE HAMMERS COMBINED. Seriously, apart from being a pain to make them play anything other than D&D 3.X or d20 Star Wars (first revised, then saga) for the last decade and a half, they only managed to admit/discover something like last year that Evocation was NOT the best D&D magic school.

Wrecking a campaign with these guys would be So. Fucking. Easy.

1. Choose to play the cleric (almost nobody wants to play the cleric because they're generally incapable of seeing the class as anything other than primary healer).

2. Take an alternative class feature that replaces Spontaneous Healing.

3. Don't take anything that could boost healing abilities.

4. Conveniently "forget" to memorize Healing spells.

5. ???

6. Profit!
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.