[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
They got pointy ears, live a long time, are good with bows and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 14
File: Elf.jpg (87 KB, 780x600) Image search: [Google]
Elf.jpg
87 KB, 780x600
They got pointy ears, live a long time, are good with bows and have gracile builds.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.
>>
I prefer them to be tall, with muscular hunk bodies and a knack for both swordsmanship and metallurgy.
>>
Treefondlers!
>>
>>46352785
always check knotholes for chipmunks.
>>
Elves baby everyone else.
>>
>>46352383
I like the men to be hunky, the women to be beautiful, them all to be fabulous, magical, warriors.
>>
>>46352354
>>46352383
>>46355057

Shit tier elves detected.
>>
>>46355072
Nah mate.
>>
File: aoe_lego_unique.jpg (183 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
aoe_lego_unique.jpg
183 KB, 800x450
>>46352354
I wonder how a people that has lived in the forest for millenia gets good with bows out of all weapons.
>>
>>46355210
It's a hunters weapon.
>>
/tg/ just likes to hate elves because a lot of bad roleplayers tend to latch on to them. Dwarves are almost always as unoriginal but no one shits on them because who ever heard of a dwarf Mary Sue?
>>
File: 1455584445681.gif (237 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1455584445681.gif
237 KB, 300x300
>>46352354
Well, they're also mad sloots and it leads to all kinds of fighting.
>>
>>46355072
Yeah, this. Demigod elves best elves. Mythology or bust.
>>
>>46355500
Demigod elves are good, but they shouldn't be too fucking high and mighty about it, because that makes unlikable dicks.

My elves are demigods because they came from the spilled blood of a god, they weren't chosen, they're an accident, a seed of chaos.
>>
>>46355552
>Demigod elves are good, but they shouldn't be too fucking high and mighty about it, because that makes unlikable dicks.
Ah naw, fuck that. They don't need to be ultimate pricks, but when they have every reason to be more prideful than the average human, they also have every right to show it. Just suck it up little ape-man, prove your worth and don't throw a tantrum
>>
>>46355657
>They don't need to be ultimate pricks, but when they have every reason to be more prideful than the average human, they also have every right to show it. Just suck it up little ape-man, prove your worth and don't throw a tantrum

No, as that is how the hate for elves came about. If they're going to be player characters, they can't have that kind of leverage over others. An asshole is only good if he's likeable.
>>
My elves are the result of a magical human advancement program that was done by a bunch of wizards who wanted to become more powerful (and didn't like the idea of dying of old age).
Because it was wizards who designed them, elves have almost no interest in sex.
>>
>>46355500
>Demigod elves best elves
of course they're the best, they're demigods.
>>
>>46355700
>If they're going to be player characters
But we were talking about demigod elves, which shouldn't be playable characters.

>An asshole is only good if he's likeable.
And who is saying that they can't be simultaneously likeable? Who's saying that a person that deems himself above other still can't nice in his own way? Honestly, that seems to be on one hand a problem of execution, and on the other hand a problem with the players.
>GM: "And here you meet the angelic and powerful elves, who..."
>player: "Are they better than me in almost every way?"
>GM: "Well, as I said, they are pretty much demigods in this setting, so..."
>player: "NO I WANT TO BE THE POWERFUL HERO! MOMMY TOLD ME THAT I'M SPECIAL! CHANGE THAT GM!"
>>
>>46355835
>But we were talking about demigod elves, which shouldn't be playable characters.

Then that just removes the problem entirely of balance or culture. If they're not playable, then they're monsters and shit doesn't need to make sense and can get as weird as it wants because all you're going to be doing is killing and looting their stuff.

If you're suggesting that there should be something that's both powerful, good, and better than the PCs, then that's fucking boring.
>>
>>46356021
>If you're suggesting that there should be something that's both powerful, good, and better than the PCs, then that's fucking boring.
Another matter of execution and opinion. Demigod-Elves could be few wandering heroes and untrustworthy wizards. Small tribes that defend their territory aggressively. Attenders or Messengers of the gods, not always with good news. Never said they need to be good, angels were a terrifying sight to behold afterall.
>>
>>46356171
A wandering hero or untrustworthy wizard isn't unique to elves. Small tribes that defend their territory aggressively are boring because beyond their microcosm they don't do shit. Attenders and messengers of gods don't need a race, they're mouthpieces.
>>
File: 1446708689943.jpg (4 KB, 123x110) Image search: [Google]
1446708689943.jpg
4 KB, 123x110
>>46356247
It's really easy to just criticize things, but more difficult to come up with good ideas off the top of one's head.
>>
>>46356317
Which is why we should stop playing RPGs, since we're almost certain to make huge asses out of ourselves, and instead become critics of other people.
All in favor say "aye" please.
>>
File: 1456963853774.jpg (542 KB, 1139x1599) Image search: [Google]
1456963853774.jpg
542 KB, 1139x1599
>>46352383
I prefer them tall, brown, muscular, uncivilized and matriarchal.
>>
>>46356317
Doesn't make the criticisms any more invalid. Being a demigod doesn't necessarily make you more powerful. You're still mortal, just gifted in a certain way.

In the case of my elves, they're an accident born from the spilt blood of their god. A mythic origin that explains their racial gifts, but not making them more powerful than other mortals.
>>
>>46356461
>Being a demigod doesn't make you more powerful
Anon, I think it kinda does.
>>
File: ogw.jpg (83 KB, 423x600) Image search: [Google]
ogw.jpg
83 KB, 423x600
And they're also master magicians and swordsmen and romantics with women and have super-senses and their civilization is a bajillion times older and better than everybody else's because elves are also the wisest and smartest and the fastest and oh dear I ripped my dick off again.

Seriously. Mary Sue race.
>>
>>46356412
>she will never give you a piggyback ride
>>
>>46356412
fetish shit/10, think less with your dick.
>>
>>46356520
You have a very narrow definition of demigods.
>>
>>46356525
>Seriously. Mary Sue race.
Depends on the setting. The real mary sues shouldn't be playable.
>>
>>46356525
You do know, you can kinda do all that, with any race, replace magicians with blacksmiths, and fastest, with hardiest, and you have dwarves.

Replace super-senses, with super adaptability, and replace bazillion times older, with very young, and you have humans.
>>
>>46356550
On the other hand elves ought to be muscular if they wield bows. Not bodybuilder tier but not scrawny either. Bows designed to kill people have a large draw weight. If the elf in his pic were better dressed she would actually look like a competent archer.
>>
>>46356565
But they usually have some special powers. If you know some demigods that don't have them, help me out and tell me.
>>
>>46352354
Honestly, all exceedingly long-lived species kinda annoy me. They would either be the unquestioning rulers of everything, or so far removed from society to be utterly alien.

Let them live 100 years and be all haughty for it, sure, but anything more than a century is overkill.
>>
>>46356595
>You do know, you can kinda do all that, with any race, replace magicians with blacksmiths,
Elves still have some claim to that what with their super magical weapons and artifacts.
Who needs to be hardy when you're a wizard and can shrug off most attacks with ease?
>>
File: Hitler-Meme-14[1].jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Hitler-Meme-14[1].jpg
11 KB, 200x200
>>46356525
>Mary Sue race.
More like Master Race
>>
>>46356609
>On the other hand elves ought to be muscular if they wield bows.
Magic.

>>46356618
Imoen.
>>
>>46356618
So a really long life, resistance to charms, super perception, not needing sleep, and in some cases great ability in the wilderness isn't special enough for you?
>>
>>46356689
What super...magical weapons? I mean many core races have 'super magical weapons and artifacts, and Elves certainly don't have a monopoly on it, or a majority and from what I've seen elf artifacts are kinda lame, and wizards shrugging off attacks? Well, late game wizards, assuming they have the right type of spells up, but that's a problem with caster supremacy in itself.
>>
>>46356609
>Not bodybuilder tier but not scrawny either
They can have a different kind of musculature that has basically a similar strength to humans. Maybe not reaching as far as humans, but still enough to use a bow.
>Bows designed to kill people have a large draw weight
Maybe they don't use the same bows. The longbow isn't the only bow that exists. Maybe their bows are of a different material or even just magic.

Also this board overestimates how fuck-huge-strong you need to be to use a longbow.
>>
>>46356719
Why bother with bows at that point? Why not something like enchanted staves that launch magical missiles? Why do people insist on making elves twiggy anyway?
>>
File: 1451238199451.png (112 KB, 590x590) Image search: [Google]
1451238199451.png
112 KB, 590x590
>>46356805
>Why do people insist on making elves twiggy anyway?
It makes sense for high elves, who are basically a race of magical nerds who are somehow pretty.
>>
>>46356595
Can you really, though? That's the thing- dwarves have some edges over humans, sure, but not that many, and they typically come with some disadvantages of their own. They're strong, but they're short; they're master craftsmen and miners, but they're also greedy and obsessive. Elves don't just have a few advantages over humans, though- they have damn near all of them. With the exception of maybe strength, what possible statuses or abilities does the typical elf of lore not have as an advantage over a human counterpart?

The only two that come to mind are strength and reproduction/numbers, and frankly, I've never heard a reasonable excuse for the latter.
>>
>>46356853
They know the basics of magic, and yet they all train in the use of longbows, shortbows, longswords, and shortswords.

Elves originally are intended as a weird magic fighter hybrid in regards to RPGs.
>>
>>46356759
>So a really long life
Pretty good, but doesn't make you an unstoppable god of war and can lead to all kinds of problems.

>resistance to charms
Not everything is D&D.

>super perception
Pretty good, but nothing so super special.

>not needing sleep
Not everything is D&D.

>and in some cases great ability in the wilderness
Doesn't sound that special to me.

Really, those are probably the most tame elves you could have come up with and can be balanced out.
>>
>>46356785
It's not really an overestimation just that it's one of the few weapons out there that actually are strength depedent IRL. Someone who has never used a weapon in their life would be more deadly with a sword than with a warbow for instance. Or rather it requires you to be as /fit/ as a melee guy so bow users should look similarly built at least.
>>
File: 1458836478226.jpg (86 KB, 570x720) Image search: [Google]
1458836478226.jpg
86 KB, 570x720
>>46356696
>Hitler-Meme-14 [1]
>>
File: 978zik57i7o.jpg (418 KB, 1062x1580) Image search: [Google]
978zik57i7o.jpg
418 KB, 1062x1580
>>46356805
Why don't all humans are magic users then? Why don't all dwarfs carry huge canons and shoot stuff?

Because some of the source material had them using bows for reasons and that got popular. I'm also not really that much of a fan of the wood-elf-ranger archetype, but more a fan of pic related.
>>
>>46356951
But those are all advantages and no disadvantages. By definition, that makes them inherently better than everyone else.
>>
>>46356951
Well one, not all demigods are unstoppable gods of war. They just claim lineage from a god.

Two, I am running D&D for this game these elves are in, so my answers are in that context.
>>
>>46357024
*aelves
>>
File: 1457620075487.jpg (184 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457620075487.jpg
184 KB, 1280x720
>>46356951
>being this much of a faggot
What else do you want them to do? Shoot lasers? Fly? Sparkle?
>>
>>46356896
I mean, if you blind yourself to it....Personally, I've almost never seen Dwarves played as, as greedy. If they're greedy, they're greedy in the I'll work hard, and earn my keep type way, also Dwarves have poison resistances(or was it immunity?), dark vision, and lose no speed from armor, extra saves from spells.

Elves get immunity to sleep type spells(they don't need sleep), resistance against enchantments, low light vision, more dexterity, and less constitution, and lore wise are good at magic.

Elves have weaknesses in being too prideful, low constitution, and numbers.
>>
>>46357025
>and no disadvantages
Because you didn't mention them. Like running around with -2 CON

>>46357078
Where did I say that I want more? For playable elves this is perfectly fine if it#s balanced out correctly.

>>46357047
>Two, I am running D&D for this game these elves are in, so my answers are in that context.
Well sorry then, I enjoy some other systems.
>>
>>46352383
You'd have supported FĂ«anor, you kinslayer.
>>
>>46356805
>Why bother with bows at that point?
Strength is a level 2 spell and lasts quite a while.
Enchanted weapon is a level 4 spell.
>>
>>46356785
>Maybe they don't use the same bows.
The point is to put kinetic energy onto the arrow. The amount of energy you put into the bow is the amount of energy the bow can put onto the arrow.
If you use a weak bow (such as Hollywood does), your arrows won't penetrate shit.
>>
>>46356785
>>46357478

You know, statistically elves don't get a nerf to strength, doesn't that mean even with their lithe body, at the very least, they're as strong as humans on average?
>>
>>46357566
According to 5e anyways. All elves get a bonus to dexterity, High Elves get the int bonus and a wizard cantrip, Wood Elves get a bonus to wisdom and more naturalist powers.
>>
>>46357566
When you roll the dice for the attributes, sure.

But when you look at depictions of elves (and especially female archers) you will notice certain trends.
I have no statistics on this but I'm pretty sure that point buy also results in elves being weaker than humans.
>>
>>46357566
Yes. The criticism is more about the way archers, including elves who are known for wielding bows, are depicted. They should look built like your average warrior type at least. Especially since bows are more STR dependent IRL than melee weapons.
>>
>>46352354
Yeah, but im fat and ugly, so elves are objectively terrible.
>>
File: kill all elves 227.jpg (106 KB, 500x584) Image search: [Google]
kill all elves 227.jpg
106 KB, 500x584
I like when Elves are flawed. Tolkein Elves are basically perfect. There's practically no reason to take a Dwarf of Human over an Elf?

Nah, Elves make good Rogues, Archers, and Mages and all, but they're shit-tier warriors, have massive trouble picking up anything heavier than twenty pounds, and are so unlearned on how the world outside of their little cities and forests are. In addition, their massive ego, strong arrogance, and xenophobic tendencies have lots of consequences.

Go ahead and make Elves pretty. Just don't make them Sues.
>>
File: 1451317612479.jpg (583 KB, 684x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451317612479.jpg
583 KB, 684x1200
>>46352354

she's 1000 years old killed more people with her breasts than you have lived years in your life
>>
File: 1457234784673.jpg (72 KB, 706x1000) Image search: [Google]
1457234784673.jpg
72 KB, 706x1000
>>46358076
>so elves are objectively terrible.

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
>>
>>46361474
Hot. Did she breastfeed them until they choked or smother them?
>>
>>46361405
You mean Jackson Elves. Stop watching movies.
>>
>>46361635
It's even worse with Tolkien elves. Jackson elves are really just good archers, because that's what people expect. But elves are closer to ubermensch in Tolkien's work - strong arms, handsome, knowledge of awesome ancient magicks.
>>
>>46362216
Didn't their power level drop a few times by the time of the Hobbit and LotR?
>>
>>46361524
Is that fucking Discworld you're quoting? Lords and Ladies, if memory serves.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.