[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Malifaux General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: malifaux-arms-dealer.jpg (326 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
malifaux-arms-dealer.jpg
326 KB, 1500x1000
Malifaux General: Easter Hangover Edition

books;
https://mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

What's the damage on the Easter Sale for you guys? I managed to hit 200 by getting some friends to go in with me, looking forward to my Dayglow Kira/Miss Terious for my ressers.
>>
File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1391) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1391
>>46310596
Cmon OP, why did you not use this pic? It's literally a navy fishman.
>>
>>46310774
Man they put the monday update up early today. Hadn't even seen that yet.
>>
>>46310774
I think that after last leak we'll be seeing new goodies sooner than later.
>>
This thing any good?
>>
>>46312904
Yes. It's a neat system, and the expansions add a lot of cool ways to adapt and customize your characters.
>>
File: resser.jpg (974 KB, 3137x1813) Image search: [Google]
resser.jpg
974 KB, 3137x1813
Post your minis and keep this thread alive
>>
File: Oystercult.jpg (363 KB, 1137x609) Image search: [Google]
Oystercult.jpg
363 KB, 1137x609
>>46314623
>>
>>46314748
First round of current Iron Painter?
>>
>>46314893
Nope, stuff I sold cause I just wanted to paint the von shill stuff but had no one to play with back then.
>>
>>46314996
Anyway, it turned pretty good. Shame you didn't have a chance to play with this crew.
>>
File: commiting sudoku.jpg (169 KB, 419x733) Image search: [Google]
commiting sudoku.jpg
169 KB, 419x733
>>46314623
i'm painting Kirai at the moment, it's turning out really poorly and I can't get into it at all. It's a pity because I love using her ingame
>>
Holy fuck why did I not start using plastic glue sooner?

I'm putting together Mah Tucket's crew and had gone way smother than my Somer box ever did.
>>
File: 39.jpg (107 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
39.jpg
107 KB, 640x480
>>46315220
This is something i've learned hard way...Plastic glue makes the hell of putting the models together more bearable by a lot.

Also have my old-ass raspy crew. I need to get some pics of the new plastic kits I have, seriously.
>>
>>46312904
I'm running a game on roll20 and in meatspace and it is a super fun system. Players are having a blast counting cards and trying to trick me into touching the deck.
>>
File: kaeriscrew.jpg (120 KB, 1020x495) Image search: [Google]
kaeriscrew.jpg
120 KB, 1020x495
>>
File: Arcanists.jpg (882 KB, 1486x836) Image search: [Google]
Arcanists.jpg
882 KB, 1486x836
>>46316820
10/10 taste in masters
>>
Rolled 7, 6 = 13 (2d7)

Gonna generate a Gaining Grounds encounter in the name of getting discussion going. Dice are for factions.
>>
>>46317158
What would I buy next, assuming I have the old and new starter contents? The golem? Or mei ling's starter for the railworkers?
>>
>>46317162
I'm an idiot and should have only rolled one faction. Enemy is Gremlins. Standard deployment.

Strategy is gonna be Guard the Stash. Schemes are A Quick Murder, Leave Your Mark, Undercover Entourage, Show of Force ,and Convict Labor.

How do you build?
>>
>>46317217
Oh, and 50SS.
>>
Picked up the thunder (Misaki) as my first ever Malifaux models, dafuq is up with shang's tail? That flat bit isn't supposed to be there, is it?

Anyhow, how much do I need to expand to get to 50ss? (Just started reading the rules)
>>
>>46317253
Outcasts or Ten Thunders for your build?
>>
>>46317211
I think the rail golem is a bit hit and miss, the only time i've ever really got decent use out of him was running halfway across the board and eating Sonia in one turn.
Personally I think Howard is great, he's cheaper and for the most part scarier.
I also think rail workers are great
>>
>>46317275
Haven't decided yet, but probably thunders to start with.

Either is fine though ^^
>>
>>46317291
I was wrong, Howard is a point more, still think he's better than a golem
>>
>>46317291
Probably won't be picking up Ramos, so I'll go with rails I suppose!
>>
>>46317304
Okay, for TT, there's a lot of really good models that will make you want to buy the entire model range because they're also dual faction. This is normal.

To start, I'd get a Katanaka Sniper. They're amazing, and with as much risk as you'll be putting Misaki into, can get even more dangerous. I'd also look at Oiran for positioning tricks. You can honestly use up the rest of the SS in your list on upgrades for Misaki and Ototo while you're at it, but you could also fit in a few other models if you're feeling it. From there you can add other models to taste, and start experimenting with subtracting other models to find out what you do and don't like.

>>46317358
Despite any feelings about Ramos himself, Joss and Howard are two of the nastiest beaters in the faction. You'll want the box at some point.
>>
>>46317437
Cool, those were the models I really wanted my hands on for painting anyway.

Anything useful about the mechanical lions or the weasel that'll be released eventually?
>>
>>46317545
Komainu are decent bodyguards against casting, and hard to get rid of. I'm not sure what you mean by weasel, the Tengu?
>>
>>46317626
The one that was sold in the Easter sale, multiple tails and a pearl.
>>
Played my first game this weekend.

I got the Rasputina box and girlfriend got Lilith box.

Was pretty fun.

Looking forward to painting my first miniatures.

Also, what do you guys use for terrain? We need some good, cheap, terrain.
>>
>>46317681
Ah, the Kamaitachi. They seem like they're mostly useful for McCabe, since a lot of their abilities are based around discarding/attaching upgrades.
>>
>>46317754
Gotcha, thanks a lot :D
>>
>>46317734
Buy some black foamboard, and get printable pdf files (personally I like Dave Graffam Models) of buildings and ruins. Shit looks decent, is cheap and very easy to assemble - you just glue it to foamboard to make it stable and then put it together.
>>
I want my Bad Ink deck so bad T.T I've been waiting for it to ship to my LGS, and I'm so envious of other people who have theirs already!
>>
File: 1450149342723.png (948 KB, 1024x724) Image search: [Google]
1450149342723.png
948 KB, 1024x724
Best Battle Report coming through.

>We should pay Wargamergirl to do more Malifaux BR's

Seriously, her's are absolutely top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EFIT64owkk
>>
>>46320146
>Not Guerrilla Miniature Games

Yeah, they sometimes do make mistakes in their BRs, but damn. They are far more watchable than what she did.
>>
>>46320302

Does he evem make them anymore?
>>
>>46320868
Last one was only a month ago. Considering how many different systems he'll cover, that's not really that long.
>>
I find my games go one of two ways

1: I get the black joker in my hand on turn one or two. I can actually play the game.

2: I don't get the black joker in my hand and it only gets flipped on the most important flips of the game.

Seriously, I just had a game where I was playing Leveticus and attempting to kill something with him each turn and ended up getting the joker during at least one of his flips for the first 4 turns (and he went first each turn). Leaving the enemy I was attempting to kill at barely alive status with 1 or 2 wounds.
>>
>>46318651
IMO I think the Bad Ink deck is kind of meh.

That being said I still put one on my Easter sale order since it's better than the abomination that is the Arcane deck.
>>
>>46312897
WTB artworks for the Norse Ressers
>>
http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/117304-march-28-a-new-silurid/?do=findComment&comment=935852

"Wave 2 is done for all purposes, most of it got sold this Easter sale, that which didn't is already done, just the cards weren't in house and thus released. You'll see that over the next couple of months.

Wave 3, not that many models in it actually when you look at it, those will all be released by October/November, give or take if things continue to pan out as they currently are. So .. not much time.

That leaves nothing of anything to release .. oh, yeah, that would be the Wave 4 book that'll show up at Gencon early, hit the retailers late September, with new product arriving on the shelves October/November. "

I guess we might even see some new Crew boxes during GenCon as preorders.
>>
>>46324893
The retro fate deck is still tops
>>
What does PF stand for, exactly?
>>
>>46314623
Anon do you happen to be colour-blind?

Not a knock on your mans by any means they look cool. But I am and I also tend to paint in bold contrast like you do.
>>
>>46316820
Fucking nice fire work mate.
>>
I bought the nice smoke Tara box this easter sale. What is a good way to paint it while keeping the smoke effects on certain parts of the model? Just use painter's tape?
>>
File: kaeris.jpg (990 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
kaeris.jpg
990 KB, 1632x916
>>46316820
>>46317158
I might as well post on the Kaeris painting bandwagon.
>>
File: WP_20160226_001.jpg (507 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160226_001.jpg
507 KB, 1632x916
Here's most of my painted gremlins.
>>
File: WP_20160327_018.jpg (368 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160327_018.jpg
368 KB, 1632x916
And my recently finished Colette crew.
>>
File: WP_20160327_005.jpg (384 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160327_005.jpg
384 KB, 1632x916
>>46328985
Closeup of the leading ladies
>>
File: WP_20160327_021.jpg (367 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160327_021.jpg
367 KB, 1632x916
Some Alt. wastrels I painted up. Tried putting one on Ebay and it sold really low. That'll teach me to put listings up when Wyrd is having a big prerelease sale. I wonder how bad retail shop sales drop when they do these "buy direct before retail gets it" things?
>>
File: WP_20160327_019.jpg (347 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160327_019.jpg
347 KB, 1632x916
And my Lucky Effigy. I don't think I'll ever field this guy, but he's a gremlin (a fake gremlin, but still) so I got him anyway.
>>
>>46328748

Brush on primer might be your best bet.
>>
>>46326637
Agreed.

Though I wasn't able to get one since I started after they went out of print and they're damn expensive now.
>>
>>46328748
A liquid mask, probably. Something like Micro Mask.
>>
Rasputina players, help me out here.
I've been attempting to play her with one of my friend's models, and I just don't get how to play her very well.
I set her up with plenty of mobility, and plenty of nodes. I keep bringing a list of only Frozen Heart models in schemes like Interference and Guard the Stash. Am I just bringing her in the wrong strategies, or should I be supplementing her with models like Cassandra, Hank, and Joss? Or is she better completely with her own models?
>>
>>46318426
very nice idea, Anon
>>
>>46332372
You can do either. Going hard on Frozen Heart means you can stack buffs and ice mirror anywhere, but your mobility is limited to Snowstorm, the Emissary, or Ice Dancers. Other models give you different options, which can be great.

Cassandra is always a good pick.
>>
>>46328204
No I'm not. But I did it on purpose. I went for the bright colors, because I was sick of dull and stale schemes - for most of the time I painted Cryx for WM and Night Lords/Iron Warriors for 40k.
>>
Bump of crows
>>
File: outcasts.jpg (220 KB, 1024x418) Image search: [Google]
outcasts.jpg
220 KB, 1024x418
>>46314623
i'm a crap painter so cheaped out

my local club is on about hosting a big tournament; having played 40k / warmahordes tourneys i'm gonna have to sit out, don't want another game ruined by power gaming!
>>
Snagged Under Quarantine from DriveThru earlier. They had so much fun with the new tarot system. Details later, when I get back home.
>>
>>46336576
Great idea but the models should get some blending.
>>
For Through the Breach, how do suits affect results? I've seen a few mentions of the fact itself but absolutely no explanations.
>>
>>46312897
You mean something good came from the leak?
>>
>>46317358
Ramos is amazing and his box is solid gold.
>>
>>46338236
Still don't like the old fart, sorry. Don't like him thematically.
>>
>>46336576
Power gaming isn't nearly as big a thing in Malifaux. Net decking doesn't exist, you know what the missions and enemy faction are before the match, and synergy and proper play matter far more than a cheesy list.
>>
>>46337813
There's triggers you can get on skill flips (as of Into the Steam). In addition, some spells require specific suits.
>>
>>46337813
You can have triggers, just like Malifaux. Critical hits use suit to determine hit location
>>
So! The new Tarot in Under Quarantine starts out kind of similar to the Assembly Line from Into the Steam. But there's a trick. At the start, you are dealt a "Brush" card. This card represents a brush with death, either a time you nearly died or did die (being undead is 100% voluntary). You play the card under one of the other cards as they come out, and it determines when you had this brush, as well as secondary effects of this (if you do die).

As an example, the card's suit above your Brush card determines the nature of your resurrection. Ram is a standard undead. No benefits or drawbacks. Crow is Masterful, you get Hard to Wound, but reduce one physical aspect. Tome is Mechanized, which gives you a free talent but makes it easier to tell you're dead. Mask is Amalgam, which basically means that you're made up of more than one corpse. Jokers are Ancient, meaning that you died prior to the opening of the first breach.
>>
>>46338282
Howard and Joss are both great, though. Even if you're not interested in Ramos his box is worth picking up.

You could also cannibalize the spider parts to put lots of little knives on everything else, if that's your thing.
>>
>>46338569
Here's where it gets fun. Brush has a table, just like any other tarot flip. And each option is how you almost/did die. They include things like "Malfunctioning Construct", "Brilliance Withdrawal", "Broken Heart", "Polio", "Pecked to Death By Birds", "Tentacles", and my favorite, "Worst Day Ever".

For Worst Day Ever, you flip two more cards and combine the two deaths/near death experiences into one. The book example is "Flash Flood" and "Run Over By A Train", where you get caught in a flash flood and end up getting crushed by a train also swept away in the flood.

The other joker is Doomed, which means you flip a brush for every other card flip.
>>
>>46338569
This is amazing.
>>
>>46325339
>wave 2 is done
>no sign of plastic Jaakuna Ubume

Last model I want for Kirai. Fuck these niggers for holding out.
>>
>>46339732
No shit.

Really sucks for me because my Henchmen has a "no conversions ever" policy.
>>
>>46340224
what a shitty person
>>
>>46339732
Its probably sitting there, waiting for those cards.
>>
>>46340224
The first sentence of paragraph three on page three reads, and I motherfucking quote, "Conversions, however, are acceptable."

That paragraph calls out conversions SPECIFICALLY for use for unreleased models. "If a model has an officially released (non-beta) stat card available, but no model is yet released, the player may field a conversion"

He is objectively wrong. Show him this part of the fucking rules document. If he's still giving you trouble, go to the motherfucking official forums and get Eric, Justin, Aaron and the gang to tell him he's wrong.

Because he is.
>>
>>46343491
Like, honestly, I see you complain about him in every third malifaux thread so I want to find the fucker and go to town on him with a tack hammer. The official tournaments held at fucking GenCon follow these policies, the national qualifiers, every big con...

But not your limp dick pussy of a henchman. Screw him.
>>
>>46329098
What kind of paint do you use?
It looks really chalky. Atleast in your pics
>>
>>46339732
Hey man, I've been wanting malifaux raptors for the longest time, and I'm still waiting.
>>
Excited that some of the new stuff should be at gencon
>>
>>46310774
I'm guessing this is the gremlin henchman. He's pretty amazing, actually
>>
>>46312904

It is. I have some minor issues with the base system (I feel that it makes characters specialize a bit too heavily due to the stat arrays you end up with and it's a bit too easy to break in half if someone is going heavy on a single area. Which feed into each other.)

However, it's still a very fun game and the expansions are FANTASTIC. Seriously, they raised the bar significantly with the expansions as the corebook pursuits (Classes) are nowhere near as fun as the later ones.

I will say though that it tends to be a lot more fun if people branch out rather than monofocus.

I'm playing in a game right now with an Augmented/Engineer/Dabbler and a Mage/Sawbones (and a pure Scrapper) and that's proving a hell of a lot of fun.
>>
>>46347577
Why gremlin? Silurids are NB. I know Zoradia, who is bi, uses them, but i'd be mildly annoyed if the gretchins got another random addition.
>>
>>46347769
Gremlins are probably getting a Sky Pirates theme in this expansion. Well, Sky Pirates or Mystics, the other goes for the Arcanists. This Silurid fits Sky Pirates and I can't see him in the Arcanists faction.
>>
>>46340224
Yea, well. You can report him to Wyrd. He is making up his own rules that contradict the official rules
>>
Anyone can share the Into the Steam pdf? Can't find it anywhere, archives turn up nothing.
>>
File: mastersxfactions.jpg (648 KB, 1998x1590) Image search: [Google]
mastersxfactions.jpg
648 KB, 1998x1590
>>
>>46347769
Maybe because his appearance and/or keywords match the henchman in the gremlin box?
>>
>>46347950
Are they even doing anything anti-piracy? Whatever they're doing it's kind of killing the game. As an online GM it really sucks not being able to share tables or maps with my players. Especially with a character creation as table-reliant as this one. It's going to be a pain in the ass to try and help my players through Into The Steam stuff. I suppose I could always photocopy it.
>>
File: jack daw.png (653 KB, 747x900) Image search: [Google]
jack daw.png
653 KB, 747x900
I'm planning to get myself a Jack Daw box. I've got a plenty of Tormented from my Resser model pool so it seems like a reasonable idea. But studying the cards made me thinking. So I've got a few questions.

1)Could any of you give me some neat ideas of using curses, other than just attaching them to my enemies models?
2)If I make a model make an (1) AP action, does it trigger the curse?
3)Is Guillotine Injustice useless, or am I actually dumb and it has it's place in the game?
>>
>>46349247
Guillotine is helpful for a couple reasons. It's an extra upgrade if,you aren't maxed out otherwise. You can put it on a friendly enforcer or henchman without drawback. It can help,destroy an enemy hand, which is helpful,in certain circumstances.

Your pseudo obey would trigger the curses.

And m not sure what you're looking for with your third question.
>>
>>46349200
Are you doing that on roll20? And do you have a full party if you don't mind me asking.
>>
>>46349915
May be looking to grab folks for Northern Aggression, Defence of Innocence or that new one that's still on it's way to me. Still need to read 'em through proper. Looking to build up a new group of folks to play with.

What do you look for in a group? What's your playstyle?
>>
>>46349200
I don't think they're doing any anti-piracy stuff, I just think that the community isn't big enough for TTB to have reliable, quick scans. I personally pick up the stuff with my real DriveThru account, so definitely not sharing a pdf with a watermark of my real name.
>>
>>46350077
Entirely understandable. Would scrub myself if I knew how or trusted myself to do it right.
>>
I just use hard copies. I usually get stuff free every year for running demos at gencon
>>
While we're on a TTB discussion: Anything people have questions about from Under Quarantine? I've got a slow-ish workday, so I'll be able to do screenshots/answer questions.
>>
>>46350539
What's your favourite part about it? I'm still waiting for my copy to ship.
>>
File: poisoned apple.jpg (11 KB, 345x84) Image search: [Google]
poisoned apple.jpg
11 KB, 345x84
>>46350555
Honestly, I think my favorite part is how much fun Wyrd clearly had writing this book. Everything is fantastic to read, especially the humor stuff. How they pitch the classes is great, from mocking their own mechanics (the Take Your Meds ability is described as 'Doctors finally figured out the best way to have patients keep to medicine regimens is to just teleport the meds into their bloodstream), to the class quotes. The best example is the death chart though. Pic related.
>>
File: eyeshadow.jpg (85 KB, 320x521) Image search: [Google]
eyeshadow.jpg
85 KB, 320x521
>>46350621
In addition, the bestiary is the continuing adventures of Emmeline Bellerose, a guild agent who died at the end of the previous book's bestiary, but spontaneously rose from the dead. Her handlers decided the best way to use her new condition was to have her infiltrate the Resurrectionists. Pic related to that.
>>
>>46347816
There was a pic that pretty much confirmed Gremlin sky pirates. It was a Gremlin with a jetpack and a Buck Rogers raygun.
>>
>>46350810
It's a shame to see Gremlins only growing more of a jokey, pandering faction. They just feel like bootleg orks. The execution feel ridiculously out of place right now, even if the concept is appealing.
>>
>>46350877
They're basically goblins in everything but name. Goblins are generally the jokey race in anything they're in.
>>
>>46350049
I look for people who I can joke with and also seriously roleplay with. My playstyle is often going with either straight dps, healing, or crazy magic stuff or If I can all three in one
>>
>>46350948
>>46350049
Also being the tank at times is something I enjoy
>>
>>46350932
Sure, but if you compare gremlins to warhammer or even pathfinder goblins (both of which are settings that strive to be both gritty in some places and whacky to some degree in others) you'll notice that Goblins are usually established to be a threat first and whacky second. They're a big deal with their own shit going on and a storied past and place in the setting as a whole. It feels like gremlins are the other way around, which makes them feel like the mascot character in a pixar movie. Sorta pisses on my cornflakes. I fucking love the concept though, so I hope they do more with it beyond whacky greenskins for marketing.
>>
File: PFgoblins.jpg (69 KB, 475x748) Image search: [Google]
PFgoblins.jpg
69 KB, 475x748
>>46351034
>goblins in Pathfinder

I have a comic that Paizo was giving out at PAX. It has goblins as butlers for a dude. They eventually get magic items and make him and his pug a thrall.

Goblins aren't that complex.
>>
>>46350948
Radical dude. Shoot me an email and we can start looking to get serious with this once I've read over more stuff.

Anybody else who wants to play in an RP heavy run of a premade, feel free to shoot me an email also. Any level of experience welcome, just as long as you want to try. We'll take it slow, let you get used to both playing and roleplaying if you're new. That being said: It is going to be voice RP. I'd suggest dodging this game if you don't like that.
>>
>Best batreps
>>46320146
>Wargamergirl
No.

>>46320302
>Guerrilla Miniature Games
Yes.
>>
>>46351195
Will do
>>
The real problems with Malifaux gremlins is that because they are random and jokey their shit doesn't get play tested right and we end up with models broken to all fuck.

3 stone significant models that generate a third AP, double damage on masters for 1 wound, defense triggers on everything, Glowy mctavish, ugh

It's bad balance: the faction
>>
>>46351360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMI12HbzeAo
These people seem to be not-terrible, but also not great.
Any other good casters?
Can't stand WargamerGirl, GMG doesn't put out enough videos, too many others are giant autists.
>>
File: Bound+by+Law.jpg (365 KB, 500x746) Image search: [Google]
Bound+by+Law.jpg
365 KB, 500x746
>>46310596
>go into FLGS for some paints
>find out no one plays infinity anymore
>a local police cop is gushing over malefux with the owner
>look things over, always liked the minis
>person after person keeps walking in saying they play this
>after talking to five guys about it, I walk out with two boxes

So what am I in for as a Lucius player?

They weren't exactly clear on how the dual factions work, so can anyone illuminate me on that? Thanks.
>>
>>46353183
>Lucius

Oh I am so sorry. Lucius is a tricky style master, but doesn't really have the toolkit to make it work.

Anyway, dual faction is surprisingly simple. When you generate a game, you declare a faction, then flip for the objectives, then you build your list out of anything available to that faction. Dual faction models are available for both listed factions in the faction pool, so Lucius could be a choice whether you declare Guild or Neverborn.
>>
Hey so I really fucked up ony lady J painting. Anyone know a good model I could buy and proxy as her? Preferably one with less skin showing.
>>
File: The+Guild's+Judgement.jpg (385 KB, 500x751) Image search: [Google]
The+Guild's+Judgement.jpg
385 KB, 500x751
>>46353378
I bought this set too to combo with him, but it seems like maybe I'll be using Justice League to start

They had no blister packs, so I just got the two starters.

Are these two boxes enough for 50 points?
>>
>>46353469
Lady Justice is a much much better starter master, so I recommend using her, yeah. You'll be able to hit 50 no problem with them, though for your first few games I'd recommend 35 since there will be fewer moving parts.
>>
Is through the Breach any good? I never hear talk about it.
>>
>>46354722
Yes, there's quite a bit of talk in this thread, too!

But yeah, it's a cool system. The start had some hiccups, but the expansions have all been really great additions to the game.
>>
>>46352091
http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114383-2015-tournament-results-research/

That's the reason why they did so well in competetive events last year. Though one of our tournaments in Budapest was won by a Gremlin player, but that was also due to lucky matchups according to him.
>>
>>46353378
>Oh I am so sorry. Lucius is a tricky style master, but doesn't really have the toolkit to make it work.

Can you elaborate on this? He sounds like the Red Skull from back when I played heroclix. Surrounds himself with peons, passes damage along to them at will and boosts them up so they can slap twice as hard back.

Are there simply not enough diverse Mimics and or Guards to select from?

Also I noticed there's an older model, and I wonder if it's hard to acquire -- I truly do like him, and I want to make him work.
>>
I've been thinking of getting this: Malifaux - Malifaux 2nd Edition Starter Set (Box) Wyrd Miniatures WYR 20903 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015OTIQ66/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_Uve.wbX5FAH2H as an entry point for Malifaux for me and my fiance. Is it worth it?
>>
>>46356218
He's hard to work with cause all his shtick is using minions as disposable tools. He's not buffer, he's a user. So he's really hard to master (pun not intended), because every succesful play is also dimnishing your own pool of models in most cases (because they will get chopped to bits)
>>
>>46356218

Old metal boxes aren't too hard to find and are generally about $10 cheaper, though many lack totems.

Lucius is harder to play than many buff masters since his walk can fuck you over or eat though cards if you do it wrong.

I'd say get some Riflemen and Austringers and you should be fine.
>>
>>46356256
Basically this. In a low model count game like Malifaux, it's hard to justify diminishing your own model count to buff Lucius, especially when he's not the sort of guy who does a ton of stuff on his own too. He's a minion-support master who also kills his own minions.
>>
>>46356304
However, he's by no means impossible to play. He's just definitely harder to get right than the average, and you have to strike a balance between being too stingy with minions and too trigger-happy.
>>
>>46350621
>>46350653

Damn, I have to buy those books..
>>
>>46356304

You can also just use Pathfinders to make traps and then kill the traps for the soulstones.
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-29+at+12.43.23).jpg (221 KB, 739x691) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-29+at+12.43.23).jpg
221 KB, 739x691
>>46356380
Just for you, the page on how to handle a Joker flip on Brush With Death, for the new tarot.
>>
>>46356430
I already own the Fated Almanac, planning to buy the Fatemaster´s.

Is this from Under Quarantine?
>>
File: WYR20116.jpg (200 KB, 978x920) Image search: [Google]
WYR20116.jpg
200 KB, 978x920
>>46356427
>trap abuse

Now THIS intrigues me. Thanks for the tip.

>>46356292
Dope, I appreciate the advice and info on the mini.

I absolutely think I need range to bolster my forces, but my FLGS doesn't have shit beyond rulebooks and starter boxes. These guys look D O P E
>>
>>46356712
They are also pretty awesome.

cheap and powerful shooters, albeit squishy
>>
File: 68121_press02-001.jpg (54 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
68121_press02-001.jpg
54 KB, 400x600
>>46356256
He sounds perfect for me, I like a tough nut to crack.

I guess I'll have to sink my teeth into the basics before I start figuring out the advanced, eh?

That leaves me with the Ghost Rider squad and lady liberty. These models are so fucking impressive, I am entirely intimidated just thinking about doing the ghost flame effect... Any know some good 'flame' guides?
>>
>>46352110
From what I have seen of Malifaux battle reports they usually get tons of rules wrong.

>>46352091
I disagree. Gremlins are powerful (Reckless is crazy good), but they really not any more powerful than any other faction
>>
>>46356705
Yes. Each expansion adds its own special tarot for people more oriented towards it (constructs/alleigance for Into the Steam, zombies for Under Quarantine).
>>
I'm wondering about through the breach, my groups just started and I've ended up making a graverobber, how does a character like that really fit in with other people when the typical response to anything undead is "oh god kill it with fire"?
>>
>>46361231
Well, to start, graverobbers don't actually have to be grave-spirit-listening zambie-raisin motherfuckers. Interrogate is a Necromancy spell, and people not in the know would just think it's the regular kind of magic (though creepy). Alternately, you talk to your group about their characters. Most people who don't have super strong moral compasses (EG mercs/PCs in general) probably won't mind some 'extracurricular activities' provided it doesn't harm them/blow back on them. Like any situation, talk with the group.
>>
>>46361231

Depends when and where you do it. People hate undead but a lot of people in Malifaux are pragmatic or desperate enough to work with them.

Just be subtle about it. Get a wagon to hide them or such. Remember the golden rule of how hard it is to hide necromancy in Malifaux: McMorning and Nicodem are both managing to get away with it.

That and necromancy has a LOT of non-undead raising (In fact, the big undead raising class is the Necromancer. The Graverobber is more generalist). Almost everything mind-affecting is in fact a Necromancy spell.

Still, talk with the other players about it first.
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-29+at+01.40.53).png (25 KB, 319x165) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-29+at+01.40.53).png
25 KB, 319x165
>>46361539
McMourning is the luckiest fucker on the entire planet. It is a miracle that he has not been caught yet.

(Pic related from Under Quarantine)
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-29+at+11.49.21).jpg (168 KB, 801x434) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-29+at+11.49.21).jpg
168 KB, 801x434
>>46361640
Side note, I want to do a counts-as Rogue Necromancy that looks like this thing (Also from Under Quarantine).
>>
>>46361539

>McMorning and Nicodem are both managing to get away with it.

Both of them can use their positions of authority to falsify documents and use an alibi. Some fucknut making Canine Remains in his attic has to play things a bit more carefully.
>>
>>46361864
McMourning once had the brilliant idea of inviting Nicodem over to chat about resser stuff while he was being audited over three missing corpses, then killing the auditors to replace the missing corpses (presumably creating a NEW audit as a result). McMourning is awful at the whole secrecy thing.
>>
>>46361640
>>46361717
>>46361974

Ok, I take that back.

I really need to start reading the lore more often because this sounds amazing.
>>
>>46362014

McMourning is basically some of the best parts of the lore if you want hilarity.

Frankly, all the lore is fantastic, and sometimes it's hilarious, and sometimes it's sad as fuck.
>>
Lads, played my first game this past weekend.

1 thing I'm not clear on:

soulstones

So my Rasputina box, the crew costs 25 SS, she has a cache of 3 ss, so we're at 28 ss's. So if I want to play a 35 ss game, I "sacrifice" 3 ss's from the 35 and give myself another 3, making my "real" total 31(6). Is this correct?
>>
>>46362959
not quite. Basically, you add soulstones under the limit to your cache, to a max of 7. Rasputina has a cache of 3, so she can go up to 4 under the limit to have 7 soulstones in hand. So you were close, but she can have one extra soulstone in that situation, e.g. 31 (7).
>>
>>46353183
Are you in southern MA?
>>
I'm not saying gremlins are overpowered, I'm saying they're badly balanced. Too much random luck involved. If they're lucky they can tea bag you, if not they're exploding all on their own.

It's bad design
>>
>>46363411

That seems like 'Exactly as designed' rather than 'Badly balanced'. High Risk, High Reward.
>>
File: 1344992513491.jpg (41 KB, 353x350) Image search: [Google]
1344992513491.jpg
41 KB, 353x350
New player started with Levi. Picked him on aesthetic, learned he was a ball buster after meeting some whiny more experienced players.

The thing is I keep getting steamrolled by other players. Usually Levi will put something in the dirt(or not because of just shit cards or Black Joker for me/Red Joker for opponent), disappear, and then my opponent would proceed to bulldoze their way through my garbage minions(Abominations/Void Wretches currently), or fighting their way to my anchors and pushing their shit in too. I know that more experienced players will have their way with noobies but a lot of my opponents are also new to the game.

I generally understand that you want at least 3 6SS anchors with him for the waifs, but I struggle to fill the list with other stuff that does meaningful work that doesn't just die like a bitch or get ass raped by mechanical spiders.

What I currently have with Levi:
>Levi Box/Tara Box
>Desolation Engine
>Lazarus
>Sue
>Killjoy
>Ashes and Dust

What can I pick up that will make a decent "all comers" Levi list without me having to buy the entire Ressers and Arcanists product line.

Also is the Levi, Hodgepodge Emissary+3 Horsemen build decent at all or is it just flavor but shit?

>pic related: me when my opponents Henchman flips a Red Joker against Levis last attack
>>
>>46363411

By random luck I'm assuming you're talking about the various mandatory triggers, and as someone who plays Gremlins they're honestly not as random as you're implying. They're primarily meant as a drawback to your dudes by taking away choice in a game that plays heavily on player choice. It's the factions equivalent of Ressers being slow or Guild lacking great scheme runners. They're also not as random as you think since you're honing in on a few lines of text without taking the rest of the faction into consideration.

First off is suite control. So'mer does this the best, since you can add a specific one or ignore them all together, and with Skeeters you can keep two or three active suites you can choose between at will, though this will eat through your hand since Skeeters are poor casters. Lenny will usually be your go to suit fixer though since he's an enforcer and Rams are usually the best choice for most situations because Dumb/Thinkin luck is amazing.

Second way around them is hand/deck control. Malifaux is a game where you make your own luck. You have So'mer, Zoradia, Old Cranky, and a few others that let you refill your hand without much effort on your end, and Merris or the Lovely Assistant let you fuck with your deck so you know what suites to expect. Bayou Two Draw is also fantastic for this since you can use your deck for cheating while keeping key cards in your hand for critical moments.

Gremlins rely on each other for best results, but it's not as apparent as other factions.
>>
>>46363598

I think your issue is that you're lacking some good staple minions to deal with your opponents dudes. Abominations are neat, but are better as a something that you spawn instead of hire, and Wretches go down like most runners if put under extended fire.

I'd suggest some cheapy Friekorpsmen so you have some minions that can fight back. Convict Gunslingers are also pretty solid for their price and can shoot their way through a good chunk of units.

For specific Pariah units it depends whether you want to go Iron or Bone, but Necropunks might be a good alternative to the Wretches if they're getting gunned down. The punks are construct undead, so you can run them either way, and between their speed, their sturdiness, and their ability to heal themselves they force you opponent to commit to removing them, which should open them up to you.

>Also is the Levi, Hodgepodge Emissary+3 Horsemen build decent at all or is it just flavor but shit?

I wouldn't recommend. An all horseman list is actually pretty anti-synergistic with Levi since his waifs need someone to babysit them and the horsemen want to use their speed to their advantage.
>>
>>46363921

thanks malifriend. I'll start with a box of Necropunks to see if it makes up for my shit play.
>>
>>46363729
>>46363542
And then you get McTavish erasing a model per turn regardless of your gameplay because he literally ignores every rule in the game.

Or Sommer focusing to double blast through your whole squad while you shrug and say "at least he took one damage."

It's not fun to watch your list evaporate under a hail of "I'm trading a 3 point summoned model for your six to eight point model."
>>
>>46364181

>And then you get McTavish erasing a model per turn regardless of your gameplay because he literally ignores every rule in the game.

He's a 10ss model. Most things at that cost can erase a model a turn.

>Or Sommer focusing to double blast through your whole squad while you shrug and say "at least he took one damage."

If Somer is hitting more than two models per shot you are bunching your dudes way too close.
>>
File: GEDC1612.jpg (60 KB, 1023x383) Image search: [Google]
GEDC1612.jpg
60 KB, 1023x383
bump with some wip gremlins
>>
>>46366910

They are OP and I hate them!
>>
I'm convinced that Wyrd has no idea that people actually assemble and play with their models.

So many fucking spindly bits that are impossible to pin.
>>
>>46368237
Are they really that bad? I have only gotten 3 games of second edition in and only one was with the gremlins.
>>
>>46368611
you dont have to pin plastic. Just glue it together.

They are not THAT hard to assemble
>>
>>46368663

Nah, I'm just poking fun over the previous guy bitching about Gremlins.
>>
File: Arcanists poster.png (97 KB, 173x258) Image search: [Google]
Arcanists poster.png
97 KB, 173x258
>>46368683
He needs to git gud
>>
>>46368672
I'm using plastic cement, but that doesn't stop shit like ponytails that are a bitch to put on and then break off extremely easily.

Fucking Yan Lo's beard being a perfect example.
>>
>>46368840
Yan los beard is a meme. Its not that bad.
Try assembling the Necrotic machine
>>
>>46364353
So what do you do to deal with 14" range ignoring cover, target in melee, hard to wound/kill, and armor? Especially when 80% f boards at major tournaments don't understand what blocking terrain is, and give you unobstructed line of sight across the whole board?
>>
>>46370675
1. Tell the TOs to read the fucking terrain rules
2. Block LoS/engage him in melee asap. use fodder if necessary, if a 4-5 SS model can force a 10+ SS one to waste multiple actions on killing it, its more than worth its price. Also idk what Armor, HtW and HtK you are babbling about as McTavish has none of those.
>>
>>46370675
I don't have much experience here but of course a model is overpowered if you ignore the rules of the game. Sounds to me that the main problem here is that the tournament dudes are shitty.

That being said from what people are saying about him he does sound pretty crazy compared to the other masters I've seen. Some of which are just pretty lame.
>>
>>46372421

Sounds like someone is throwing Glowy from Wong onto him.
>>
Quick question about the book 4 beta testers, we know we are getting new Masters, but are we also going to get new Conflux upgrades for the Emissaries with them?
>>
>>46372874
Right. In that case just make sure you place proper terrain and get him in melee. He is a strong model, but he is not the scariest thing in the 10-points range imho.
>>
>>46372421
The TOs then complain about how tough it is to provide terrain for 20+ boards and you get shit treatment for the rest of the con for speaking up. Meanwhile the top tables are guild and gremlins for days...
>>
>>46373602
Legitimately sick of seeing tournament boards that have a building in one corner and a couple height 1 boxes in the middle then call it a day
>>
>>46373632
I think my Complaint is honestly less about the factions and more about shitty boards at major tournaments.
>>
Anybody interested in getting some sorta vassal something ready? Maybe a shifting loyalties campaign or something to bring a community together?

What the general level of experience? Maybe a starting box tourney or something may be better?
>>
>>46372421
It's hard to lock down a model with that kind of range in a faction who regularly out activates everyone but Hamelin. If you do, you can free it up with the ever bullshit trixiebelle or any number of melee threats with a top damage of 8+
>>
>>46368672
Assembly is reasonably fine. Tweezers needed sometimes.

But the resilience is super questionable. These are things meant to be handled pretty frequently. Some stuff tries pretty hard to snap just taking it off the sprue.
>>
Has anything else been released/leaked about book 4 besides the neverborn/resser/tt master?
>>
>>46374114
There was an Arcanist Henchman that was released.
>>
>>46373718
Out of curiosity, what Faction and Masters do you play? They are not that popular in my meta, but when I've encountered them it was fine with Ressers (of course we use generius amount of terrain). Except in a tourney back during the Wave 2 beta, where beta models were legal to field. Pigapult + Wong fucked everyone up proper.
>>
>>46356246
>Is the Malifaux Starter Box good/worth it?
Also interested in this, pls respond.
>>
>>46376887
I would say so if you and a buddy want the factions present (Guild/Neverborn). If not, i would say no. They're all mercs, but they aren't reallly worth it with the merc tax added.
>>
>>46357066
>From what I have seen of Malifaux battle reports they usually get tons of rules wrong.
I've always wondered how tournaments work - there aren't many games as rules-dense (or special-rules diverse, I guess) as Malifaux that I've seen.
How the fuck do you keep it all straight?
>>
>>46376958
Sorry, unclear question:
I've got my first crew box because the models are nice, but I haven't got the (physical) rulebooks or decks, never played an actual game only watched YT batreps.
The local scene is not big.
Is it worth getting as a one-stop shopt for shit I need to play the game, and is the quickstart/tutorial angle actually worthwile?
>>
>>46377369
It's useful for that, but honestly I just like the crew boxes because they're so much more flavorful. What did you pick up for your first crew box? There's probably a good pairing for it to demo to people with.
>>
So, as a relative newcomer to the game, I'm looking at the different factions (all seven of 'em) and trying to work out which to go for. What are the rough playstyles of each faction? What's each one's strengths and weaknesses?
>>
>>46377443
This is going to be VERY general, especially since some factions make a trade for themselves on having huge variation in what they can do.

Guild: Direct damage and overwhelming firepower. They do a lot of straight up damage with few tricks from range.
Arcanists: Hugely mixed bag, but uses a lot of casting and spellslinging.
Resurrectionists: Durabillty, summoning, and attrition.
Neverborn: Alpha striking and bending rules.
Outcasts: Fucking anything.
Gremlins: Chaos and luck.
Ten Thunders: Stuff from every other faction.
>>
I really hate assembling these models. I just bought some Insidious madnessses and I think I might actually go crazy assembling them
>>
>>46377976
Working as intended?
>>
>>46373685
It feels like I wandered into a Warmachine thread. It seems half of those are bitching about terrain.

That's actually one reason I picked up Malifaux. Warmachine being "Final Destination, no items" got super fucking old. The local Malifaux scene is super terrain heavy. It's awesome.
>>
>>46369210
>Wyrd miniatures aren't hard to assemble and keep together through play
>Here's an example using this Wyrd miniature.

wut
>>
>>46378356

Look, it's a warmachine board! 2 pieces of forest, a building and a hill!
>>
>>46378356
Malifaux seems like it may have the opposite problem. Terrain is super important to the point where the game is a bit unplayable without it. And if it's unbalanced the game is waaay off. I'd get pretty tired of mirror boards but I think there should be some system in place for deploying terrain, just as there is one for deploying an army.
>>
File: maliftable.jpg (260 KB, 2048x1300) Image search: [Google]
maliftable.jpg
260 KB, 2048x1300
>>46378356
Here's my average table in a game of Malifaux (all boarded windows block LoS, and there's like most of them boarded). Sometimes we even go overboard, and it looks more like Infinity table.
>>
>>46377556
so ten thunders and outcasts are a mixed bag with a bit of everything, Guild do solid gunlines, Ressers are big regenerating hordes, neverborn are close combat and finesse, gremlins are unreliable but explosive, and arcanists are combo-based?
Is that about right?
>>
>>46379925
Worth noting that Ressers tend to also be pretty fucking slow from what I understand.
>>
>>46380063
depends on your master, a fair few of them are deceptively speedy/good at getting where they need to be
>>
>>46380087
>a fair few of them
by which you mean 'kirai and molly'
>>
>>46380161
Seamus and possibly Tara as well
>>
>>46379925
Ressers are more about table control and precision strikes. IMO
>>
>>46379388
That's awesome, and how a board should look.
>>
Holy shit. I just ran through the character creation in Under Quarantine.

The player's character survived or had a close call with:
>Drowning
>Lightning
>Tornado
>A fucking shark attack
I love this character creation system.
>>
>>46381054
Floods in the Northern Hills get intense.
>>
>>46381769
"Careful when the river jumps its banks and starts running in the streets. That's when the Sharks get ya."
>>
>>46377556

I'd say for Gremlins it's less about luck and more about extra activations, gunlines, and easy healing.
>>
So I got a couple of those soulstone poker chips from a local league and tournament.

They're fucking sweet and I want a total of 7 so I can use them for my soulstones. Ebay is pulling up nothing. Is there another source of them or am I just going to have to keep hitting up events?
>>
How anal are tournaments about the size of scheme/scrap/corpse markers? I don't have any spare bases, and money's tight right now, so I've been cutting out the faction symbols from my boxes to use as scheme markers. Some of them are larger than others, because of shaky hands and it being an imprecise science, but they're all about 30mm.
>>
>>46383511
I think eventually you will be able to trade them in for prizes. Only have one so far, but we have a few events coming up next month and hope to get better. So far the mystery boxes have been limited edition stuff, like the alt figs, but we have a small group and haven't gotten the bigger prize package
>>
I'm also wondering just what the poker chips (guilders) are supposed to be. Rumor was you could trade them in to the Wyrd store for $5 off an order, but that would kind of tick off hobby shops that sell Wyrd products and host the tournaments as it cuts them out of the loop. There's also the thing about having to mail the things around (though getting them back would mean Wyrd can just send them out again instead if ordering more to be made). It is an odd system and It boggles my mind that they would implement it before even telling the players what the hell it is.
>>
>>46385426
>I think eventually you will be able to trade them in for prizes.

That's actually kind of cool. Kind of similar to MTG player rewards they did back then. Hit up enough sanctioned events and you'll get cool shit.

Puts a damper on my plans for using them to mark my SS cache. They're cool looking and fits the flavor of the game.

>but we have a small group and haven't gotten the bigger prize package

We had just enough for a big mystery box at our last event.

It was a dayglow Pandora crew.
>>
>>46385379
My FLGS has a laser cutter, so I got like 20 30mm circles for $2.

I'm sure you could find a place online that does similar.
>>
>>46315420
What brand do you recommend?
>>
>>46334761
Didn't it also look better on the table?
>>
>>46378574
And that's where they fucked up. The were should be designated tournament legal terrain templates and a procedure for placement in the rulebook. In fact, because Malifaux is so reliant on terrain, I read through the damn rules almost 6 times assuming I was retarded and somehow missing the section.
>>
Took the Easter sale as an opportunity to finally pick up Malifaux. Though I purchased based on looks, I'd like to learn properly first.

Is there a mid-mid high level tournament viable master who forces you to play the game and develop good fundamentals? Not someone who can easily out activate (hamlin), not die (Leviticus), have insane mobility (dreamer), is generally stacked (rasputina), etc

I've only been reading threads these past few days, so maybe the information above isn't accurate, but any suggestions or comments on this path for learning would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>46388140
Perdita, Mei Feng, Kaeris, Lilith, Viktorias, Ophelia, just off the top of my head.
>>
>>46388153
Victoria's art is very attractive, but I've read they get dropped fast and have limited options. Arent Perdita and Lilith supposed to be the respective range/melee specialists?
Can't appreciate the gremlin style.
Don't know anything about Feng or Kaeris, will have to read. Thank you for the recommendations.
>>
>>46388153
Lilith seems to suffer from very little relief detail. Sad, because she's only a couple small mods away from a Kishibe pose.
>>
>>46387422
Not that guy but I haved used contactica for about 12years.
Only on my second bottle I think. Has a lovely fine needle applicator. You can use a lighter to burn any dry stuff out or just shove your guitar string pinning wire down there.

Really good stuff. Quickly melds any model plastic I've ever used. You'll want a window open though can get pretty fumey.
>>
>>46388140
I learned Malifaux using Kaeris.
What I can say is that she's somewhat below the power curve. This is what you want, you want to be able to see your master as a tool that helps your crew, this is the heart and soul of what you'll be doing 90% of the time, even if you're using a summoning master.
Kaeris makes it much easier to do simple scheme running, as one of her limited upgrades allows you to give your models flight. This allows you to have a mobile crew that can develop your strategies.
Tl;Dr:
I think Kaeris is behind the power curve on killing things, therefore, you try to maximize her potential at scoring points. (This is how you win games)
>>
>>46388140
I like lady justice for that. Reasonably tough and a couple of tricks but none of that crazy across the board in a turn shenanigans.
Reasonable crew builds with a mix of shooting and melee if you build that way.

Forgiving enough to not get flogged but lacking in move powers etc so basic group tactics are fairly important.
>>
>>46380161
And McMourning and Yan Lo.

As somebody who has played Trollbloods in Warmahordes and switched to Ressers in Malifaux I can safely say that Ressers are not Slow.
>>
>>46388231
Lilith is a board control specialist, Perdita is about killing stuff from all ranges and synergy with her Family models.

If you really want a generalist Master, Von Schill is your man, his crew does everything decently. But desu the gameplay of the majority of the Masters are not that specialised that it'd hinder you at learning the rules. Select a Faction which aesthetically appeals to you, pick 2 masters who complement each other and whose playstyle you like, buy one of their starters, play a few games, get the other's crew box and some models which are preferably good with both Masters, and basically you are set for tournament play.
>>
>>46388930
I'd say Lady Justice is too plain and lacks tricks, so a lot of people get quite disappointed in her. Especially because Perdita is not much harder to play, and she is way easier to succeed with. I'm not saying Lady J is trash, but to succeed you have to accept that she is going to die most likely and play her like a very dangerous beater, while the rest of your crew goes for objectives/supports her imho.
>>
>>46387422
Revell contact pro is great cause it has a needle, but i'm using a 50c local brand now, and it also works.
>>
>>46387422
I use Tamiya extra thin.

It has a brush for application and it's worked like a charm so far.
>>
>>46389120
Isn't that exactly what they were asking for though?

>Is there a mid-mid high level tournament viable master who forces you to play the game and develop good fundamentals?

Atleast that's how I read it. Lady J is robust enough but requires really solid fundamental play to take out wins.
>>
>>46390078
>>46390078
She is not really considered mid-mid high level afaik, she is just above Lucius. The Guild Master I'd consider being mid/mid high tier is McMourning, he is viable, can do most strats/schemes well, but there are usually a better Master (Sonnia/Perdita/McCabe) for the job. Hoffman is a niche Master who is brutal in a few strats, sucks hard at others, and can be countered quite easily. Perdita and Sonnia are better at killing than LadyJ and they are more versatile, McMourning and McCabe can do scheming/crew support without being forced to take shit model choices unlike Lucius.
>>
>>46388140
I think you'd be fine learning with any master, really. Some are more complicated like Shenlong or Kirai, some are easier like Von Schill or Lady J, but you can get a good feel for the game with anything. If just start by looks. Pick one you like, try it out, we can give you some recommendations on how to build the crew, and go from there.

The best way to learn is to play.
>>
>>46388903
Fumes signifies pseudo-industrial to me and a functional built in applicator seems like high quality stuff. That sounds lovely, thanks.
>>
File: consider the following.png (61 KB, 462x227) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.png
61 KB, 462x227
>>46368611

Git Gud
>>
>>46388231
You'll unfortunately find that everything good in this game has tricky shit up and down both sides. The few masters that are considered less competitive or even bad tend to,be the ones that either do no tricky shit (Lady J, Mah Tucket) or the ones that are unfortunately weaker versions of a better master (Lucius)
>>
My friend and I are going to start playing Malifaux.

We have actually no fucking clue what the fuck. Where do I begin?
>>
>>46391819
Two player starter is a decent choice
>>
File: 1459522148493-781827416.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1459522148493-781827416.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>46390975
At my desk now. This is the stuff. Looks like I actually might need more soon.

Brand is Revell.
Tara for needle applicator scale. I'm in Australia and most hobby shops seem to have it. It's a German product though.
>>
>>46391899
My friend (and to a smaller extent me) doesn't like buying starter boxes because we like to choose our teams when we start.
>>
File: IMG_20160402_015754.jpg (926 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160402_015754.jpg
926 KB, 2048x1152
>>46391929
Crap sorry about image size.
I do mean it about the fumes too.

Apparently past me was a bloody hack. I fished out my old mans for getting into 2E malifaux. They still all have obvious mold lines.
Ones on the left of the lamp are what I fixed tonight. Right still need seeing to.

There's most of the neverborn faction put away in a carry case behind me too.

Also have the new plastic viktorias to put together.
>>
>>46392106
In that case, I'd just find two of the main starters that interest the both of you, the rules manual, and two decks of cards. That'll be enough to get you going. You'll want terrain and 30mm bases for scheme markers soon, but you'll be fine without to start.
>>
>>46392106
Nice thing about the starter is that they're 2 "half" crews that can blend in to other factions as mercenaries. They're better in their home factions (Guild and Neverborn), but viable outside.

If that isn't your bag, pick a crew box, grab the mini rulebook, fate deck, tape measure, 30mm and 50mm bases for markers, and play crew box vs crew box to learn.

Not all boxes are equal, so fair warning. After that, add stuff to get up to 50SS. I would recommend just taking 2 crew boxes from a faction to get you a good pool of 2 masters and models they can both use. Get to 50SS as soon as you can get comfortably. It'll be a lot to learn, but the game is best at 50SS and it'll make you a better player quicker.

Which crews do you like the look of?
>>
>>46391731
Perdita or Ophelia are not tricky either, and they are considered viable (to say at least). But they can fill exactly the same roles as LadyJ and Mah would do, and they are just better at that and can do more things than killing stuff.

And Lucius was just a failure at game design desu. He is not unplayable, but just look at fucking Colette and be sad because Lucius is thematically way cooler.

In my opinion those three are the worst offenders.
>>
>>46392254
I would only recommend the starters if they want to play Guild and Neverborn respectively. The models in it are decent for their base price, but I wouldn't really take any of them as a Mercenary.
>>
>>46392421
I've gotten good use out of Grimwell in 10T. Recalled Training for + damage flip on that 4/6/10 attack is terrifying.
>>
>>46392516
Recalled Training on most heavy hitters is terrifying. But that attack is a bit hard to set up properly, and Grimwell is quite squishy for 10 SS.
>>
>>46392645
He is nimble, and it's not like 10T are short on movement shenanigans.
>>
>>46392808
That's true, but I still would nor recommend the starter unless players are actually interested in Guild/Nb
>>
>>46392272

At least Wyrd has shown in the past they are willing to buff underperforming models via upgrades.
>>
>>46388926
Thank you for the insightful reasoning. My only concern is her seeming dependence on conditions, but overall this sounds like it would accomplish my goals.

>>46389098
Thanks for correcting my ignorance. Lilith seems to have a bit too much in the way of card advantage and stats. I've read Perdita is pretty straight forward and small synergies is always better than a complex power combo. Von seems to ignore some elements like terrain and aoes, but he doesn't seem to outright invalidate other masters. Him and kaerin sound like decent introductory masters.

I'm not worried about learning the rules. I want to avoid bad habits, assumptions and potential lapses in perception from learning to play with a master that doesn't engage as thoroughly with the most basic elements.

>>46390576
McMourning, while probably not on Hamline/Leviticus level, seems to have a bit too much staying lower and damage potential.

>>46390820
I understand this, but I don't mind playing figures I'm not too attracted to for learning fundamentals. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't want something like the card cycling/advantage of Lynch, activation generation of rats, or staying power of
Pariahs Soul/Lure of Emptiness to distort my understanding even on a less than conscious level.

>>46391731
I kind of assumed that, but was holding out. Thanks for the honesty, it's why I prefer this to company forums.

>>46391929
Thanks for the details. Will be picking some of this up next week.

>>46392272
Thanks for the perspective. Perdita is sounding like an easy to grasp master, though a bit too powerful.
>>
>>46392272
Deets has all sorts of movement tricks, companion shenanigans and order of activation needs.

Ophelia literally does double the damage of anything else in game, has defensive triggers, odd attack tricks, and silliness.
>>
>>46393263
Everything has its tricks. Some may have more or less, but there really aren't any "vanilla" masters.
>>
>>46393226
Backstab via Conflux of Tyrany is helpful (in addition to everything else), however I though Wyrd said they wanted the Emissaries to be viable options and not requirements? Wish it was on a personal upgrade instead.
>>
>>46393657
I understand, was just hoping to learn with one which ignored the least to limit the Masters ability to compensate for poor play. Guess Von or Kaeris it is.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.