[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate my setting, /tg/ >It's a perfectly spherical hollow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: 1458473760011.jpg (474 KB, 960x576) Image search: [Google]
1458473760011.jpg
474 KB, 960x576
Rate my setting, /tg/
>It's a perfectly spherical hollow 100,000 light years in diameter, with the walls being made of dirt and rock that extend outwards beyond any depth people have dug to. There's a galaxy large enough that the outer stars are as far away from the inner surface as Earth is from the sun inside, spinning around the centre of the hollow sphere. Because of this, the entire inner surface is covered in Earth-like environments.
tl:dr?
It's Earth, but inverted, and large enough to hide a galaxy inside.
Pic related
>>
File: 1210534331515.jpg (77 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1210534331515.jpg
77 KB, 600x750
>>
>>46305551
I think there should be one change to your setting.

The man on the left is hitler and the women on the left is sarah palin and that structure is something built by nazi's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPwtDjzJMI
>>
>>46305688
Goddamit.
>Next time, I check where cool images I found came from
Though it's not my setting, just something with a somewhat similar theme.
>>
>>46305551
That's more an idea for a team of astro-physicists to think up a way to make this work and what consequences it would have. Before you've done that, there's basically no difference to reality other than that Earth's surface is almost infinitely large.
>>
>>46306149
Except that the infinite size would lead to huge variations in species, culture, technology, etc. across a tiny fraction of it's circumference, and the variable-sunlight-due-to-the-constantly-moving-sources-of-light thing would be interesting.
>>
That is too much of a logical fuckfest to even believe it would work. How would gravity function? How would air temperature not skyrocket and boil the stone? How would you supply it with heat without having all the heat trapped inside and leaving the center as a microwave. How would oceans and other such land masses develop?
>>
File: A WIZARD DID IT.jpg (119 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
A WIZARD DID IT.jpg
119 KB, 350x262
>>46306335
A MAGICAL CREATOR GOD DID IT.
Though I may not have been clear about it, IT'S A FANTASY SETTING. MAGIC MEANS I DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN SHIT
>>
>>46306374
Okay. I don't have to explain why my setting's quantum dragon just jumped into your setting and destroyed it.
>>
>>46305688
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>46305551
Are you me? I have a setting like this but I never completed it. I might want to work on it again tonight.

Some questions:
1. Is there any day/night cycle? How?
2. At what height does one experience weightlessness?
3. Can someone see another continent just by looking at the (nonexistent) horizon? Or does the air density make it too hazy until eventually the landscape dissolves into blue?
>>
Just use a dyson's sphere ffs.
>>
>>46306483
1.Whether it's day or not depends on whether there's a star fairly close overhead or not at the time. They move out of range fairly quickly, so "days" don't much longer than ours do.

2. Haven't figured that out yet, though it's probably at certain points between stars, the galactic core and the rim where gravity cancels out.

3.With your normal eyesight, no, you wouldn't, thanks to how small the curve would be to us. With a powerful enough telescope, definitely.
>>
>>46305551
Why?

I mean, why so massive? It's so big there is absolutely no way it can be mapped, chartered, or even the biggest empire will be absolutely irrelevant as it will never control more than 0.000000000000000000000000000001% of your universe.

Why?

If you want to do dyson sphere (who are so massive they already are almost unmappable), do a dyson sphere. If you want to create an infinite magical multiverse, create an infinite magical multiverse, you will gain in depth. Your kind of (almost) infinite plane is infinitely boring.
>>
>>46306437
>well my invisible invincible forcefield contains him and crushes him to death before the ninja armies invade your land and kill everyone
No
Stop
>>
>>46306335
>>46306374
>>46305551
Well there are three physical problems here, one of which should be apparent to anyone living in that setting and is impossible to really circumvent.
A) The gravity of that thing (unless countered by magic/technology) would make the whole thing crush into the center. as there is literally nothing pulling the rock, water, humans, etc to the outside of the sphere. This can be countered if you have antigravity, which explains why things stay on the ground, why the whole thing is stable despite being mostly stone, and why there is only air on top of the surface but not in the galaxy itself
B) What the fuck is with the stars? I mean unless all stars are at uniform distributions at equal height from the surface, (not possible/likely) you'll have places that are further away from stars than others.
Which means that a spot between two stars would see both just as tiny spots, not actual suns. Which would mean perpetual fucking darkness, and temperatures at which the air would liquify.
This in turn would lead to constant winds of astronomical proportions that would rip apart literally anything on the surface.

Why don't you just stick with a normal dyson sphere? The surface area there is endless enough that you would never ever meet anyone from another place.
It's 550million earth like planets big.
If 550000000 planets are not enough for you i don't know what is wrong with you.

Is it just that you want to see constellations in the sky?
>>
>>46306515
>The answers
Thanks. I'm asking because I know I will stumble to those same questions.

My setting isn't fuckhueg large as yours, though. It's just normal earth but inverted, with a single 'star' in the middle. More like a celestial lightbulb, really. Which ties to my first question. I don't know if I want the sun to just dim and 'turn off' every 12 hours, or just let the world have a perpetual daylight.

Also, with the diameter of real earth, I still don't know whether someone in my setting can look straight to another continent or not.
>>
>>46306566
His special ability is literally "Expand size category each round until you occupy the entire universe".
>>
>>46306515
I guess having stary move quickly would solve the bigger, second problem, but how do you expect to do that?
1) stars are usually at least about 1 lightyear apart. if they cross that distance in a couple of days that means they move at 100times the speed of light.
2) how would stars not collide if stars move around in a sphere in a way that every area gets close to a star at least once every couple of days.
>>
>>46306574
physanon here

Assume a large enough quantity of rock makes up the shell, local gravitational pull can be hand waved to maintain stability despite the center of mass being fucked

B) An idea for OP, areas that are far from any star are in perpetual darkness, you have regions on the surface which are light and these regions move with the stars above them, any civilisation must move with the light in order to survive (no plants can grow in the perpetual darkness)

As a result all civs are semi-nomadic, having to up and move every half century or so, and when moving everyone comes across the abandoned ruins of previous civilisations that passed through the area hundreds of thousands of years ago. Old forests grow at the side of the light area which is closest to the darkness, while plains and low shrubs grow in the area that has most recently been recovered by the light. Each spot of light is surrounded by a twilight that marks the boarder of human civilisation.

Even though the area of light at a fixed time is fucking huge (assume the sun was on the surface, the habitable region would be roughly half the distance to jupiter), though because it constantly moves people are forced to move through each other's territory in search of new lands.

Lastly, stars may drift closer or further to the edge, stars that are close enough generate an inhospitable desert in the centre of their area of light, while those that drift further away decrease the size of the habitable area. Eventually a star may drift far enough away to turn the whole region to twilight and effectively doom the inhabitants. Conversely a star may drift close enough to form a new region, it's for this reason that it is imperative that when an uninhabited star's area is found that settlers occupy it (as it's probably newer than the one that is currently lived in).

This should hopefully provide a basis for some sort of religion too.
>>
>>46305584
What is that ship from?
>>
>>46306742
>As a result all civs are semi-nomadic, having to up and move every half century or so,
How are your stars so slow?
>>
>>46306755

was that a serious question?
>>
>>46306742
Aside from getting horribly killed, what would happen to a civilization following a giant star that then goes out with a supernova?
>>
>>46307038
I was tempted to post that the entire area would be glassed, but I think that would underplaying the problem of supernova.
Whatever happened to that civilization, nothing would happen in that general area ever again.
>>
>>46306916
Simple, the hollow region is rotating with the same velocity as the galaxy is.

>>46307038
Everyone dies, but the supernova covers the area with a coating of elements beyond iron, turning those regions into radioactive (for a few million years) but resource rich areas. Sort of a cross between pompeii and Eldorado.
>>
>>46307072
So, hypothetically, given time, the whole surface of the inverted world can be glassed by enough supernovas? That's kinda cool.
>>
>>46307102
Where are you getting all your fresh stars from?
It's more likely that the NOVAs would rupture the shell of your hollow Earth and allow the cosmic horrors waiting without to enter.
>>
>>46305551
>Setting has the surface area of 5,512,707,263,101,697,094,917,038,823.828 earths.

Good luck with the writeup, anon.
>>
>>46306629
I don't think you understood the point I was making
>>
>>46305551
3/10.

Creative and majestic, but settings large enough to contain anything inevitably end up containing everything, none of it particularly detailed. The fluff gets spread too thin, and the blend of uncountable possibilities ends up homogeneous and (much as you'd expect from blending up everything).

Stories and settings are made interesting not simply by what is in them, but more by the absence of everything that isn't. Magic, say, that can do literally everything with relative ease is boring; it's the constraints, restrictions, requirements, costs, and specializations that make it interesting.
>>
>>46306374
>Though I may not have been clear about it, IT'S A FANTASY SETTING. MAGIC MEANS I DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN SHIT
This is why I hate crazy-high-fantasy settings more and more all the time. They just start to feel like either an excuse for laziness or an outright rejection of reason. If you're making your world fundamentally different, for fuck's sake at least put some effort into exploring what the differences actually mean and how they're relevant.
>>
>>46305551
Earth, but unimaginably bigger, with a funny looking sky.

Unless we're talking civ-game scale, your players won't see any functional difference. The world we have is really, really big already. You're only seeing a little corner of it, regardless, what does it matter if you can ride a horse in one direction until you both die of old age?
>>
>>46307705
Your objections had nothing to do with reason or logic, though. They were all of the form "How is this compatible with $MODERN_SCIENTIFIC_CONCEPT?"

Fantasy is, at its core, about continuing the tradition of myths, legends, and folklore. They were good stories, or at least interesting settings, back when they were told, and the fact that absolutely none of them were true doesn't mean they have magically become bad stories. And if they're good stories, of a genre that remains interesting, why not tell more of them? The past does not have copyright on such things, and if a story would have been interesting material coming from that time but was never actually told, why not tell it now?

People believed for a very, very long time that the stars or planets were gods and the sky was another realm where they dwelled, or a solid dome to which they were affixed, or a combination (crystal spheres.)

If people could tell stories set in their traditional fantastic cosmologies then without worrying about Newtonian gravity, why should that prevent us writing new ones now?

Logic and reason are necessary for a setting to function, to be coherent and interesting. But "logic and reason"and "experimentally and theoretically derived knowledge about the functioning of the real Earth, mostly discovered post 1800" are not synonymous.
>>
In this thread, nobody realizes that inside of a shell, there are 0 net gravitational forces from the shell acting on a body, regardless of position.

I'm serious. Look up shell theorem.

It won't stop massive stars in your sphere from attracting other objects, but it will stop anything from sticking to the ground.
>>
>>46305551
there would be no atmosphere, also, no gravity due to the shell theorum, also gravity makes galaxies flatten so you'd only have a thin (relatively speaking) ring on the outer ceiling.

Just build a dyson sphere
>>
>>46305551
1/10
It's just different for the sake of being different and isn't even reconcilable with actual science.

It's just a shit version of a ringworld or Dyson sphere with extra "look how huge the scale is!!" thrown in.
>>
>>46307705
what do you say about my infinite plane world with a point source light 500 km above the "center of the world" that sinusoidally blinks to create day and night?
>>
>>46307083
>Simple, the hollow region is rotating with the same velocity as the galaxy is.

>an infinite plane is rotating
>this is in any way realistic
bahahahahaha
>>
>>46307946
Fair enough, but try to keep it ambiguous then.
Dont use terms like "100,000 light years" or "the habitable region would be roughly half the distance to jupiter"
The concept is interesting, but you can clearly not fathom the sheer ridiculousness of these numbers.
>>
>>46307705
Yeah, and "how did this get here" and "how is it compatible with physics" aren't particularly interesting or useful questions to that end.

A better one is "This, apparently, works, and behaves in a fashion consistent with folk physics in the relevant domains. What does this entail?"

Not "why don't all the stars cook everyone" but "given that all the stars don't cook everyone, what are they, and since gravity clearly doesn't work the same, why do they form a galaxy?"

Also, what would cause day and night, if there's nothing to occlude the massive light source? Seasons? Are seasons caused by the galaxy's motion causing periods where sometimes a star is close to a given location, and other times the nearest star is dim or far away? Does that mean seasons are irregular in interval and duration? How irregular? How long-lasting do hot and cold periods get? What would that entail? What happens if you tunnel downwards? Etc, etc.
>>46308158
>isn't even reconcilable with actual science

So? I don't see why that's a goal for fantasy. (Heck, I'd even say it's worth avoiding to a degree - explaining things about a fantasy world with magic and/or gods by astrophysics and Newtonian orbits, say extreme long-term seasons due to a highly elliptical orbit, never quite sits right with me.)
>>
>>46308300
I'm not the OP and I agree that he's gone awkwardly scientific for something so patently fantastic, and that he's really specified too little detail to say anything interesting.

I just butted in to object to perceived Someone-Is-Wrong-On-The-Internet.
>>
File: 1408851435565.jpg (3 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1408851435565.jpg
3 KB, 126x126
>>46308323
>thinking it's fantasy's job to make an impossible world

someone post the .webm of Aqua puking rainbows
>>
>>46308395
>thinking it's fantasy's job to make an impossible world

I have no idea what this means. Certainly it isn't required to create some ridiculous but whiz-bang impressive alternate cosmology, and often it shouldn't. It's just not fantasy's job to make a possible world. Physical possibility is largely orthogonal to what it's aiming for, which is (roughly speaking) what is - for folk physics, magical thinking, and the intuitive narrative worldview that seems to be human's default sense of how reality works and leads cultures everywhere to invent gods and spirits and similar mythological explanations - what sci-fi is for how we think the world actually works.

So ridiculous cosmologies are allowed, but not required, because that kind of arbitrary break from reality tends to damage the suspension of disbelief unless you do it with finesse. (Either from damn solid worldbuilding, or from going weird enough everywhere else that it doesn't stand out, or from being clearly not very serious.)
>>
>>46308323
>So? I don't see why that's a goal for fantasy.
Because you brought in concepts from actual astrophysics, like galaxies, stars and real astronomical distances. When you do that you open up those aspects of a setting to scrutiny.

I mean you could have just made the setting a Dyson sphere or swarm and have a nearly identical end result while not being physically nonsensical.
>>
>>46308537
This is why anonymity is confusing. I'm not the same person as OP, and find their elevator-pitch of a setting unpromising, underspecified, indicative of a lack of sense of scale, and lacking in any actual interesting details. ("Really big" is not an interesting detail. Usually it implies the opposite, in fact.)
>>
>>46305551
>no mechanism for a day/night cycle
Holy shit you suck at this
>>
>>46307127
This right here, would be rad as shit.
>>
>>46308191
Once you start accepting impossible things there is no reason to not accept other impossible things
>>
>>46306525
Realistically speaking, would you seriously react differently if he actually did an infinite plane? If you're willing to call this "infinitely boring," I'd imagine you'd say the same to your other suggestions as well.
>>
>>46310548
When you have a literally infinite plane, nobody expects you to fill out everything so you are less likely to fall into the trap of turning humongous sections of the world into silly monocultures.
With an infinite plane, you just draw up a map of whatever you currently need and then you write HERE BE DRAGONS around that.

Of course, that doesn't make such huge worlds any less stupid. Earth is big enough for most purposes.
>>
OP here, posting revised/rebooted version:
>Same basic structure as before, except only 1 light year across.
>Is explicitly a fantasy setting
>Has a number of mysterious objects that look like stars, but don't produce heat, only light, and all orbit the centre so that they're 1 au above ground.
>Has an incredibly bright and hot object at the centre, is implied to be the prison of the setting's fire god, also everything magical in this world draws energy from it.
>For every cubic kilometre, there is a heat emitting pillar about fifty metres tall. They're made of an indestructible metal, and extend downwards forever. >They only work when they have line of sight from to the centre.
>Because of the ambient heat, many of the areas that never see much light are covered in forests of giant luminous mushrooms
>Other objects with the whole "indestructible, extends downwards forever, needs LoS to centre to work" thing: paired teleporters, teleporter hubs that are also giant fortress, and pillars that can snare star things and force stars to stay within 1 au of that point until it shuts down.
The other objects are much rarer, with teleporters being about three times rarer than the heat pillars, but unpredictable until charted, and snares and hubs come paired with one of the other, and both cover massive areas on their own.
>Races: Humans: come in two varieties, nomads and those who've found how to use the ancient devices on the surface and have snared a star thing, allowing them to settle down in a single area.
>Mushroom people that live in the darkness and burn to death if they ever see light.
Anything else I should do to make it better?
>>
>>46312614
Bumping so that people see this
>>
>>46312614
Abandon it and use a premade.
>>
>>46306619

>I still don't know whether someone in my setting can look straight to another continent or not.
I might be wrong, but I think looking straight up through that great volume of air would just look like our sky.

Consider that the ISS is only a few hundred miles above the surface, and all they can see from there with the naked eye is a hazy outline of continents, and maybe the glow of city lights. You'd be maybe 7,900 miles from the opposite side of the sphere.

One weirdness you might see is that, instead of a sharp horizon, the distant landscape just bends into a hazy distance.

>no night
Aside from being a little eerie to think about, it does mean that ghosts, vampires, and other common spooky creatures of the night probably won't feature much in your setting.
>>
>>46312614
More additions I just thought of:
Magic in this setting requires access to a source of power you can draw line of sight to, usually one of magical heat pillars, teleporters, snares or hubs, or, of course, the giant prison with the god of fire trapped inside, though portals to other planes powered by/imprisoning gods(yes, I plan on making several absurd settings). The more powerful the source, the more powerful the spell, but the greater the chance of killing yourself in the process, and spells work better when they're similar in use to the use/spheres(things associated with a god)of the source.
Dwarves and Elves are in this setting, but the Elves are almost entirely extinct, and the Dwarves are obsessed with fire magic and build their underground fortresses around heat pillars.
>>
>>46312614
>Mushroom people that live in the darkness and burn to death if they ever see light.
> burn to death if they ever see light.

That's a bit excessive. Just five them penalties or something. Make it related to water loss or something. Otherwise it's much too reminiscent of vampires and instant death is just kinda stupid.

Also, how you handling a day/night cycle?
>>
>>46313100
>Consider that the ISS is only a few hundred miles above the surface, and all they can see from there with the naked eye is a hazy outline of continents, and maybe the glow of city lights.
That is mostly because of the speed though.

Also, why would there be a uniform distribution of atmosphere throughout the entire thing?
>>
>>46313218
If a star is close enough to provide light, it's day, otherwise, it's night.
>>
>>46312614
>>46313145
There's nothing really wrong with your setting, but I think what you're missing (or just not conveying) is how this makes a fun game.

After you convey enough of this greebly detail to your players to make any sense of the setting, their eyes will have glazed over before they even start thinking of characters or situations.

You might try describing your setting from the point of view of someone living there, instead of tossing around units of measure that people simply can't grasp.
>You belong to The Tribe, a group of nomads who must follow the great light as it travels across the sky or freeze in darkness.

Your ideas are bizarre and unique, but that doesn't make a "good" setting. You have to describe it at a level that your players can engage with, and populate it with interesting people and situations. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter whether you have an infinite sphere or an island floating on an ocean of souls, or a dyson ring, or a pocket universe inside a giant's eye.
>>
>>46306525
>even the biggest empire will be absolutely irrelevant as it will never control more than 0.000000000000000000000000000001% of your universe
How is this different than real life?
>>
More things on the setting:
>All but two of the gods are batshit insane, and the two remaining sane ones have constructed a number of prison planes, each containing one major or several minor gods, and most of each plane is an anathema to the god(s) imprisoned there, and the rest of the plane constantly draws on the imprisoned god's power, making escape impossible. For example, the god of fire is trapped on a plane that's 99% near absolute zero, the god of earth is trapped in a plane which is 95% air, 5% floating islands, etc.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.