[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me, or is plenty of the "Waaah, why are my players
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1458540985713.png (752 KB, 700x840) Image search: [Google]
1458540985713.png
752 KB, 700x840
Is it just me, or is plenty of the "Waaah, why are my players murderhobos who just wander around trying to kill things and get rich?" from GMs caused by those same GMs being lazy and telling their players at the start of the game to "Go and make whatever characters you want. I will figure out a reason for them to be together"?

When you have a group of ridiculously disparate characters who would never naturally come together or share common goals, like an LG paladin sworn to both a monarch and a god of honor and justice, and an anti-establishment CN rogue who wants to swindle everyone out of their goods, the only thing left to do is reduce the group to the lowest common denominator of "Go around on generic murderhobo adventures."
>>
I think there are plenty of shitty games advertised on /tg/ and it isn't just the fault of the players.
>>
Sometimes, I'd imagine it's more a problem for first time GM/DM's and new groups than it is for experienced GM/DM's.
>>
Why not offer up a plot hook at the very beginning, before character generation?
>>
>>46299361
>>46299284
Yeah, I tell all my players about the plot hook at the beginning of character creation and tell them to make characters that will bite down on it.

"Why does your character hate the Whatstherename criminal organization and want to see them toppled?" etc.
>>
File: 1446698100890.jpg (20 KB, 480x341) Image search: [Google]
1446698100890.jpg
20 KB, 480x341
The Gm has the responsibility of providing something that the character care for, but the player is the one that decides how they're going to act. It's a balance that's required. If the majority of the participants aren't interested, it is doomed to fail.

Players that turn into murderhobo's are either in the hands of a boring GM/setting or aren't interested in tabletop at all and would be better off playing video games. Your player base should be mature enough to work together and create an interwoven story without finding joy in backstabbing each other for a laugh.

I personally never have this problem because I'm playing with a group of close friends that all appreciate a good story, some action, and being social in a fantasy world. I almost cannot believe any that guy stories on /tg/. My players never metagame, never complain, stay within the setting and we all make a story together. I'm almost always the GM and I'm firm, but fair. I respect them as players and they respect how I run things. I don't understand why it's so difficult to make a decent group.

You have to have the same interest and the same goals. It's always about the communication and making compromises. I don't run settings unless all of them are willing to try it, so by me giving them that they always make characters that they're able to roleplay and immerse themselves in with the setting. If they have conflicting character stories, we never take it personally if they grind against each other or one of them alters their concept at character creation. Every time we have been able to make it work due to good attitudes.

If it feels at ALL like a power game between GM and player, there is something wrong. Stop immediately and fix it before you continue.
>>
>>46299519
Aye, the game that I just joined and am about to start is like this - all the PCs are supposed to have a serious grudge against a local crime lord and are out to topple him and bring him to either ruin or justice. My character has a younger step-brother that's been kidnapped and probably sold into slavery or something. Gotta save the lil' shota.
>>
>>46299611
>playing Curse of the Crimson Throne
Why.
>>
>>46299531
I dunno, my group is close friends but the desire to not be left out drives them to come play and be shitty, disinterested players.
>>
>>46299628
Because I want to play some kind of game and nobody else is interested in Eclipse Phase.
>>
>>46302376
>Choice is between Eclipse Phase and Curse of the Crimson Throne
>Correct answer is death
>>
>>46299195
It's a problem yeah, because it could much more easily be done from the player side. There's very little difference between the lawful good paladin someone wants to play and the lawful good paladin that has to be interested some particular goal or ideal. Player is much more able to make those minute adjustments. I would also generally give everyone an alignment range (even if game has no alignment, most people have a general idea of where they'd fall) and say they had to be capable of playing well with others in that range.
>>
>>46299195
Of course it's your fault, you've made a blind assumption with nothing to back it up because you needed an excuse to make this thread.
>>
>>46299628
Whats wrong with Crimson Throne?
>>
>>46302316
You're going to have to make two seperate hangouts for different days. Like I said in my previous post, a disintetested player will break the game. All of them have to be interested. An uninterested player is a broken cog in the game machine.

They have to leave.

I know it's easier said than done, but if the game is shit just because they want to be involved, everybody is just wasting their time. The GM is disappointed, the players that actually want to play have their immersion and fun broken, and the people just joining in to not feel left out could be doing something else.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.