[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/ General Part 3825: YOUR FAVOURITE CHAPTER IS SHIT Edition.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: 40krpggeneral.jpg (18 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
40krpggeneral.jpg
18 KB, 345x146
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War. Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk. ROLEPLAYING.

Book Repositories (If you're planning o downloading any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file I put in the RT directory.)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
Shield of Humanity PDF
https://mega.nz/#!xlRWBaiI!MmOEkMse0wHVsyLDGbZJVGUXgVEuB9lWSyVl6ZhvgGM

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2zfoc5jo7s7vrb5/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

>Previous Thread
>>46216684

Best blaze of glory a PC/party went out on? Or on a happier note, best story that ended in a PC being retired without death.
>>
WE MARCH FOR MACCRAGE

AND WE SHALL KNOW NO FEAR
>>
>>46284867
Premium shitposting there, ultrafag.

Contribute in a meaningful way, or gtfo. Last thing we need is some Ward-loving fuckstain shitting the place up. Go back to the wargame general, I'm sure they'll just love you.
>>
>>46284936
Someone needs a hug.
>>
Are 'Keep shooting and GTFO' missions a la L4D fun for more combat-inclined groups?
>>
>>46284988
What I need is an aspirin, and also insecure shitheads not to drop trow and shit all over a resource I take time out my day to provide and maintain, when even glancing at a monitor makes me want to bash my head against a wall, in the vain hope I can blot it out for five minutes.

>>46285066
Depends on the group. If they can keep up the banter, and the Emperor favours their dice, then yes. But be careful, push it too hard and its less "Hey guys, keep moving" and more "stop trying to TPK us, asshole."
>>
>>46285119
You sound like an insufferable cunt, mate. Take care.
>>
>>46285172
Oh, I most likely am. I can never really tell. But I've been called worse than anything you'll ever come up with.

Now go bother someone else.
>>
File: 2ce99c_4855548.jpg (262 KB, 1200x1440) Image search: [Google]
2ce99c_4855548.jpg
262 KB, 1200x1440
Anyone new to the setting, here's a good primer.

Remember, people are cheaper than automation. If your character has issues with that, then by the Throne, avoid the AdMech as much as possible.
>>
>>46285249
That's actually pretty awful.

Ships run on Plasma Drives not Corpse-Furnaces, the Gellar Field is a reality shell it's antithetical to the Warp rather than a psychic construct, Navigators guide ships rather than Astropaths, and Navigators are not blinded and their eye shields themself from the effects of the Warp seeing it through a filter, they're also quite mentally sound, if gigantic uppity assholes, and the duration of Warp Trips and inaccuracy of re-entry is grossly exaggerated, the danger of Gellar Field failure is not, however.
>>
>>46285066
You'd better give them something worthwhile to run for or they're just gonna stop and kill everything you throw at them, but yeah the potential for fun is there and having objectives different from "kill everything" in combat can be nice once in a while.
>>
>>46285467
>and the duration of Warp Trips and inaccuracy of re-entry is grossly exaggerated

I wouldn't say grossly. Moderately at best. Hell it's possible to leave the warp at a chronological point *before* you entered it.
>>
>>46285492
17 months would be a trip across the entire Galaxy
Plus arriving before you left is a relatively minor occurance once you get past the immediate questions of Paradox.
>>
>>46285492
ships carry 6 month worth of food supplies. After 17-month warp trip, only a lifeless tomb would translate back into realspace.
>>
>>46285932
>ships carry 6 month worth of food supplies

Oh, I'm sure the ratings will find a way to adapt and overcome. Now, how about some fresh ploin juice.
>>
>>46286242
Indeed, there might be a hundred or so left alive, breaking the bones of their fellow crewmen.
>>
>>46285932
Sounds like fun idea for a RT campaign. Party hears rumor of an ancient spacehulk reentering realspace just a few lightyears away, thinking it's full of archeo or xenotech goodies the party goes off to search fo it/information about it.

They find it and discover that around halfway through the trip through the warp the crew mutinied and tried to capture and kill the navigator, hoping that would drop them out of warp, the lower decks all turned to cannibalism and walking through the hab decks is like a scene from a plane of oblivion, just sacks of raw human flesh everywhere.

Roll willpower to avoid wrenching your guts up from the smell.
>>
>>46285226
18+
>>
>>46284829
I think this is relevant to this thread. Just made a fully editable, printer friendly DH v1.0 Character Sheet. It is not perfect, as is based on another already printer friendly Character Sheet, but I don't have the time to make it from scratch.
>>
>>46284936
>>46285119
You need to stop taking a game of pretend so seriously.
If you can't, the Pathfinder thread is here
>>46287138
Go and take your faggotry with you.
>>
Great source for character art:
http:// wh40kart .im/

>>46286799
What reader are you using ? Editing it with Adobe causesa lot of clipping issues.
>>
In Only War, against vehicles, do they have too much armor or to anti-vehicle weapons have too little pen or somewhere in-between?
>>
Anyone got a idea on some tyranid paint jobs
>>
File: x gon give it to ya.jpg (3 MB, 2352x1600) Image search: [Google]
x gon give it to ya.jpg
3 MB, 2352x1600
>>46284829
>Best blaze of glory

Team winds up in the Jericho Reach, on a desperate op to a rescue a Tau commander from a Tyranid onslaught so that he can provide us with vital intel on a heretic hiding in Tau space (there was a truce on at the time, and yes, we were upset at having to work with xenos).
Long story short, we had to make a last stand with him while waiting for evac. Our noble born assassin wound up taking on a massive horde of Gaunts BY HIMSELF, his twin powerswords shimmering in the morning light as he hacked away at the scuttling horde. Scores of vile aliens died at his hands, his chest was pierced, his leg split half open, yet he kept fighting with not but a grim smile upon his face. Finally, through sheer weight of numbers they dragged him down, but not before he had slain dozens of the horrors and gone toe-to-toe with the Hive Tyrant itself.
My techpriest, who had struggled with his emotions all campaign, died striking a mortal blow to the self-same tyrant while trying to secure his friend's body. Everyone else got out fine. It was the first real set of deaths in the campaign.
Their bones now rest upon that dry and nameless planet, hidden beneath the sun-bleached carapace of the xenos dead. None save the God-Emperor and the Machine God shall remember if they were good men, or bad. All that matters is that here, few stood against many.
>>
So guys, could I get some help? I can't seem to find relevant rules.

In Only War, how does weapon switching work? I know Quick Draw makes it a free action: is it a half action to, say, drop your lasgun and draw your sword?
>>
>>46288984
Dropping something is a free action, for the rest you use the ready action
>>
>>46288923
>Their bones now rest upon that dry and nameless planet, hidden beneath the sun-bleached carapace of the xenos dead. None save the God-Emperor and the Machine God shall remember if they were good men, or bad. All that matters is that here, few stood against many.
>he thinks they're not Tyranid shit now
>>
>>46288999

Does a low tech Shield stack with flak armour?
Do you need a free hand to use Psyker powers or to toss nades?
>>
>>46288838
In between.
Most dedicated anti-armor weapons have too little pen because armor is balanced around what infantry wear, so they will just ramp up the damage.
What you, and a lot of people, are ignoring is that the rpg will not be the tabletop, where a lucky melta shot can ohko a landraider. A tank is a terrifying thing to face, and to be IN one is to be a terrifying thing to face.
>>
>>46289146
>Does a low tech Shield stack with flak armour?
Depends on your system.
I believe it was RT forward that began counting shields as stacking armor for the areas listed, while in DH1e, they were mobile cover that followed the rules for cover.
>Do you need a free hand to use Psyker powers or to toss nades?
Yes to both. You need to have your psy focus nearby to make the focus power test, and you need to Ready a grenade before you use it.
>my turn
Looking at Threat Threshold in DH2e, and don't get it. Use the arbitrator for example, with it's 8 threshold. Does that mean it's worth 8 pcs, and could be presented to challenge that many, or that it's 8 TT means that from 2.3k-4.5k XP, they are an appropriate threat equal to a single PC in power?
>>
>>46289146
a shield adds flat ap to the holding arm and chest, so yes. You obviously need a free hand to toss grenades unless you're holding something that can be held with one hand until you're done, like a rifle. Can't find anything on psyker powers though, but I'm guessing you'd need to hold onto your staff as a conduit at least?
>>
>>46288838
I've been blowimg the fuck out of Chimeras with my Melta in OW, so there's that
>>
>>46289237
>I don't understand Threat Threshold because I haven't read the rules for it.
Read page 382
>>
>>46288984
>>46288999
Is there a sling or something so that when I drop my weapon I don't have to actually drop it?
>>
So what's next in the pipeline from Ffg?
>>
>>46291143
My players have them in OW for their basic las carbine, getting more wouldn't be difficult. Make a point of asking for one when you look for new weapons?
>>
>>46291335
Makes sense. Thanks.
>>
Man, I gotta say the DH 2e book is a migrane to read. Whose bright fucking idea was it to use black script on a tan background?
>>
File: 1449444836507.jpg (115 KB, 1024x872) Image search: [Google]
1449444836507.jpg
115 KB, 1024x872
>>46289107
;_;
>>
>>46291206
No-one knows, but the nay sayers believe that they're done with Dark Heresy 2 due to uncited sales figures being bad.

A lot of us are still hoping they'll put out a few more books for it. I want a new IH and a bestiary.
>>
I'm going to be starting a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition game later this week. I'm a Whaler/Navigator/Explorer. Which means I've got lots of maritime skills, and start with 1000 gold in a setting where an average peasant's total yearly income is equivalent to 10-15 gold, before any taxes or expenses. I've got pretty good stats, but no combat skills or special weapon proficiencies:
WS:46 BS:50 S:41 T:51 Ag:71 Int:55 WP:45 Fel:12/39 (conditional, more info on that later)

But in addition to all this, a die roll determined I'm a mutant, and a skeleton, which lowered my strength, raised my agility, and MURDERED my fellowship, but the DM ruled that's only in contexts where being a hideous skeleton would be socially detrimental. And I can use my money to buy fancy masks and wigs.

Any advice on playing this game, though? Whether I should focus on melee vs. ranged combat? for some reason WHFRP2ndEd has dodge as advanced but im going to see if the GM will rule it basic, so I can put that 71 ag to good use keeping me alive.
>>
>>46291945
Your BS is good, lowered strength will hamper you if you're melee unfortunately. Pick up a bow or a crossbow and faff about being a horrific skeleton from the shadows. Let the Naked Dwarf sort everything out, WFRP2 didn't exactly fix NDS.

Also, when wouldn't being a hideous skeleton be socially detrimental?
>>
>>46291945
How are you a mutant skeleton?

That's pretty cool senpai.
>>
>>46292011
A. what does NDS mean?
B. Rules As Written says being a skeleton is just a straight -3d10 Fellowship hit, but it's not like losing your skin gives you aspergers. Fellowship governs things like torture and ventriloquism, but being a scary monster would make torture more effective, and would make ventriloquism trivially easy since I have no lips and might not even need to move my jaw to speak.

The adventure starts in Skeggi, a Norscan settlement in Lustria, so there'll be lots of Chaos worshipping or Chaos-agnostic vikings who know that sometimes shit happens and you get mutated, and lizardmen and dark elves probably wouldn't want to kill me and more or less than any normal person.

I lack the disguise skill, so I probably can't hide that there's something off about me, I'm spending some of my starting money on a big hat, wig and a fancy Carnevale mask for when I don't want to cause everyone around me to roll a WP check or be literally paralyzed in fear. Also boob-stuffing, since I'm a lady skeleton.
>>
>>46292186
Dwarven toughness bonuses can take you up into levels where you barely need armor.
>>
>>46292113
WHFB 2nd edition's Tome of Corruption's mutation tables are almost excessive. it's a 1d1000 chart, with special charts only including the thematically apropriate ones if you're devoted to a particular chaos god. And lots of the mutations have sub-charts, like, your X body part is covered in extra, vestigal Y facial feature, roll for which limb it is and for whether it's a dozen eyes/noses/eats/mouths.
Or, you're now a furry, role for what animal you get the features of.
Or, you're a mermaid who can swim well but has to crawl on land, but but roll 1d10 and on a 10 you're a reverse mermaid who doesn't get the penalty to walking but needs to be immersed in water once every few hours or you die.

Oh and the "uncontrollable flatulence" which has a chart showing the range and direction your farts will waft from you if you're playing on a grid, and the varying effects your farts can have.

It's about as meticulous as FATAL but with enough good taste to (mostly) ignore or only very vaguely imply sex stuff.
>>
>>46292296
oh, WFRP 2e. You insane, insane bundle of awesome roleplaying.
>>
>>46292296
My DM was planning on using this to run a game.

I want to be a Questing Knight chasing after some big ass monster to make myself worthy.
>>
>>46292590
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He-gassen
>>
>>46292758
I don't think he was planning, specifically, to run a flatulence game.

Though now I can only hope that he doesn't discover these rules.
>>
>>46292186
NDS is Naked Dwarf Syndrome. A problem that began back in WFRP1e was that Dwarfs without any armour tended to be tougher than humans in armour.
>>46292296
Tome of Corruption is what Black Crusade should've been.
>>
>>46292507

Rolling on tables does not constitute roleplaying
>>
>>46292939
Hmm. If i have 70 agility, should I go for studded leather armor, which gives 2 armor, or mail, which gives 3 but also lowers agility by 10? I'm imagining i want to press the advantage of my agility as much as I can.
>>
>>46293114
Studded Leather should do you fine, lets you keep that crazy high agility.

If you're an Estalian then you're off to a great start, load up on pistols if you can and dance around every combat in clouds of smoke as you fire off your bracer of pistols.
>>
File: 1457677286542.jpg (211 KB, 867x1249) Image search: [Google]
1457677286542.jpg
211 KB, 867x1249
Here's a rather obscure question:
I dimly recall reading somewhere in either Book of Judgement or the Radical's Handbook about an infamous fallen noble house in the Calixis Sector, that was basically exterminated except 3 members who were off world at the time of the purge. Does anyone happen to know their name? I know I could just make something up, but I'm perversely fond of the canon npcs FFG comes up with.
>>
>>46292946
Playing out the results of what you get on the tables no matter how ridiculous certainly does.
>>
>>46292939
>Dwarfs without any armour tended to be tougher than humans in armour.

Isn't that fluff-accurate?
>>
God damn, I slept for awhile.

And wow, that's alot of WHFRP stuff ina 40k thread.

Eh, whatever. I'm finding it hard to give a shit, go wild. As usual, if anyone has copies of RT material that open properly in pdf viewers other than Adobe, let me know, I'll swap them out as I get them.
>>
Rogue Trader 2 fucking when?
>>
>>46294642
I would *love* an update to Rogue Trader with DH 2e rules.
>>
>>46289237
>>46289240
I thought a psy focus only gave +10...not that they were in any way necessary
>>
>>46294642
When it outsells Deathwatch.

So never.

Because it's shit on a stick carried by pirate memes.
>>
So uh, what do you actually do in Rogue Trader? You're the chief crew of a ship that has a small city worth of personnel, you have underlings to do everything for you. Is it just talking and rolling a D100 to determine how well you bark orders at the plebs or do you captain Kirk your way around and personally fight every xeno on every planet you come across?
>>
>>46295737
>do you captain Kirk your way around and personally fight every xeno on every planet you come across?

You can absolutely do this. Also hunt pirates, BE a pirate, invade planets, explore the galaxy and find strange new lifeforms and new civilizations...and exploit the shit out of them for profit, etc...
>>
>>46295906

Right, but how does that stuff manifest in the gameplay itself? You're giving orders from the helm of a superstructure, are you just rolling to make sure your engines don't blow up, that kind of stuff?
>>
>>46295737
The other games have you subservient to the inquisition/dark gods/high command. Rogue Trader is about being taking command of your own life and living with the consequences of your choices
>>
>>46294995
Last I checked, a psy-focus doesn't need to be held anyways.
>>
>>46295954
Shipboard combat and operations have their own systems where you can be giving orders from the bridge, yeah. Other sorts of things you'll have to take a teleportarium or shuttle down to somewhere or another and show up personally.
>>
>>46295954
Here's a good rule of thumb
"Your underlings are entirely inept, they require your direct assistance and instructions in order to get anything actually done"

So when the engines need to re-route power to the thrusters to increase your speed when trying to catch someone, you send the Explorator down to direct them.

When you're scanning the shit out of the planet to try and find the ancient downed ship full of treasure, anyone with any kinds of analytical skills heads down to the Augur Array systems (or they feed that data to the bridge) so you can look for yourself and instruct your workers about what to look for.

When you're storming the enemy ship to try and capture the bridge and perhaps even take it for yourself, you're right at the head of the charge, because no matter how "good" your armsmen are, they won't stand a snowball's hope in hell of defeating your opponent's best figters.

Also if you don't do that, you're not really a Rogue Trader, more a boring noble sitting around letting your men do everything for you. You're a heroic space-born action hero, you're damn right you'll be the first into the breach.
>>
>>46296016
Yeah, I read something about a pressed flower in one's pocket acting as a suitable focus
>>
>>46296085
I think my party's rogue trader never once got into combat. He always had members of the party handle it for him.

My favorite was the one time he was shot at he said;

>"That man has fired his weapon at me. Tinhead, draw my pistol and cut him down."
>>
>>46297004
That's actually awesome.
>>
Could use some good imperial navy art. Characters, gear, whatever. Mostly for inspiration at this point.
>>
File: 1365914978528.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1365914978528.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
>>46297342
It's the best way to play RT

The only pic I have, and I don't think it's actually warhammer.
>>
>>46289164
What about in vehicle on vehicle combat? For an anti-tank shell, the Vanquisher cannon has a pretty underwhelming pen.
>>
I have a question. In Dark Heresy second, how do I handle progression in a satisfying way for the players?

Also, for players wanting to be psychers. Do I really give them an elite class right off the back?
>>
>>46299755
Its only under Elite advances because they made that part of the system first, so it made it easier to slot in a whole other subsystem on top of the backgrounds and roles. Remember, you can only get the Psyker trait in very specific ways at chargen.
>>
>>46299859
Ah. Alright.
>>
>>46299114
It does, though since the Vanquisher Cannon gets the same benefits from its Accurate trait as a personal-scale weapon, it can suffice against a lot of vehicles.
>>
>>46300978
Only if the one firing it has the Versatile Shooter talent.
>>
>>46301018
Did they change the errata recently? Last I checked you didn't need a special talent to get the Aim bonus from Accurate on a Vanquisher Cannon, it was a special rule for the weapon innately.
>>
>>46301066
Oh it does, I was looking at the vehicle description for it, not the one in the weapon section.
>>
>>46301145
In the early versions of the OW beta, it didn't gain the damage bonus; they changed it somewhat late in the beta IIRC.
>>
so I just hosted my first dark heresy game for my group of friends. none of us have ever played it, two have minimal exposure to 40k. i'm sure we fucked up a lot of the rules, but it was fun. my biggest question is this: is it always so fucking brutal? 4 combat oriented characters against 6 ork boys almost got them killed so many times i lost count. had to have nearby guard medics keep them from bleeding out and whatnot.
>>
File: Agor_the_Mad_-_Ork_Weirdboy.jpg (145 KB, 541x543) Image search: [Google]
Agor_the_Mad_-_Ork_Weirdboy.jpg
145 KB, 541x543
I just read The Navis Primer supplement for Rogue Trader.

How the fuck do Ork Weirdboys work?
>>
>>46303353
That's the question that makes the greenskins interesting after you get tired of making hooligan jokes.

Something to do with why Ork weapons work when they have no right to. They have something, not quite a hive mind like the Nids, but a group connection, that the Weirdboyz can manipulate similar to a psyker manipulating the Warp, but its not the Warp. Tends to have similar results when their rolls fail, too.
>>
>>46303243
Yes. Even more so if you don't actually know what you're doing.

>>46303353
They add 1 to their psy rating for each Ork within 10 meters and can only unfettered.
>>
>>46303353
Orks are more psychically active than humans, but very few can use it directly. Ork Weirdboys are born with the inherent ability to tap into that power.
So they have some power on their own, but they become much more powerful when there are other Orks nearby for them to draw power from.

In gameplay terms?
They're weak Psykers who get stronger by purchasing more Minderz and increasing their Psy Rating a couple of times.
They have access to few abilities, but can learn more as they increase in rank, or they can take a risk and cast a random power.
>>
>>46303461
>>46303460
>>46303431

Oh, cool. Yeah, I didn't really get how their psychic crap works because I am used to the normal psyker routine. They seem fun as fuck to have around though.
>>
>>46303506

Sure. Less stable than human astropaths, though, so most sane (human) Rogue Traders avoid them. Now, if you play an all-Ork party, they will be a blast.

>>46303243

Orks are nasty in close combat, and tough as hell so they stand a good chance to get there. Starting characters will have a serious problem versus boyz of greater numbers.

I presume you played second edition rather than first, but it is sort of the same in that regard. Generally, at low level your PCs are pretty much regular joes/janes working for the Inquisition (AKA SS + Mosad + The Vatican).
>>
What's the furthest you've bent the rules to fit a character into your campaign? Like a blind man with high perception, as an example. Where do you, as a GM, draw the line between story and rules?
>>
>>46305234
Isn't that fine by the rules though? They'll miss with anything that uses BS unless if they're an astropath.
>>
>>46305841
>They'll miss with anything that uses BS unless if they're an astropath.
How much does that help? I'm looking at it now; astropath unnatural senses gives a few metres, warp perception gives psy * 10m.

It's really fucking short either way.
>>
>>46305989
Take a closer look at that passage. It isn't Willpower bonus, it is willpower characteristic.
>>
>>46291945
Keep in mind that not only is Dodge advanced in WHFRP2e it's also melee only. You cannot use it to evade ranged attacks. If you plan to fight at range then Dodge isn't as mandatory as it might seem.

I'd recommend some stealth skills over Dodge. All that agility can make for a really murderous cutthroat and cat burglar.
>>
>>46306003
Well shit. Thank you for pointing that out.
>>
>>46306078
If you wanted to use RT astropaths, they could just flatout see except they were unaffected by things like blind grenades and cameleoine and couldn't see untouchables.
>>
>>46299755
>In Dark Heresy second, how do I handle progression in a satisfying way for the players?
2 ways:
1. By remembering that the setting does not "level up" alongside the players. Npcs that may have been challenging in some ways before do not get better for reasons to remain challenging.
2. Making their influence and effects have some weight, at least in the areas they have been to before.
>>
I am bored so i kinda feel like dumping a small tale of our first OW campaign. Some great stuff happened by virtue of rolls entirely, and it emerged into something like a buddy cop film between the psyker and comissar.

We were running the Against the Savages adventure from the OW rulebook to start. I think i let them have too many specialists, but we were kind of a snowflake scout ops regiment anyways so it worked out okay. We had a commisar, psyker, stormtrooper, ogryn, weapons specialist and medic. We blow through the prefab content pretty easily so i start homebrewing the rest of the conflict on Kulth.

Party has to recapture a long abandoned listening post and auger array that links up with a bunch of sattalights, as well as escort a techpriest there so that he can repair it and get it working. This is so that the guard reginents can have some good intel for launching an assault on Drusus City.

On the way to the listening post they run in to a couple Ork trukks, and a high speed jungle chase ensues. Everyone is trading fire but no one is really able to hit shit. The Comissar (who is a strong independant black woman who dont need no man, and is also a complete hardass) gets fed up with the lack of progress, grabs a lasgun from a trooper (which she was not skilled with) leans out the top hatch, aims, and shoots at the driver of one of the trucks. Gets a goddamn 04. Anything more and she would have missed, since it was pretty much two fast moving vehicles weaving in and out of trees. Shoots the greenskin right in the face, and the truck spins out and explodes in proper action movie fashion.

Still one truck to go, the psyker decides he wants to help too. The Stormie who was driving the chimera decides to slow down and fight this one head on, and thank the emperor that he did. Psyker goes for an unfettered lightning attack on the truk, rolls phenomenon and gets the "You and everyone in d5 meters get lifted d5 meters into the air and dropped back down.
cont
>>
>>46308496
So the Commisar and psyker are lifted out of the still moving chimera and slammed on to the jungle floor. If the Chimera was not decelerating they would have both been turned to paste, or at least forced to burn fate. The party kills the last truk, but the commisar is livid and comes a hairs bredth from blowing off the psyker's head. After some terse party interactions the situation is defused, but the Commisar makes no secret of the fact that the psyker is on thin ice and any more slip ups will equal a solid blamming.

Anyways the party gets to the listening post, and two squads of Brontian Longknives are already there. Due to the usual imperial beurocratic fuckups. noether squad knew the other was coming, and the Brontians are adamant that they were to let no one else in the base. They were a little pissed, as they fought and died to take the damn thing and the way they saw it the party was here to steal the glory after the fact. Commisar goes up to "reason" with the sargent in charge. She fails her intimidation check, but makes a very convicing ballistics skill roll. Blam, emperor's justice served. The rest of the Brontians are scared and pissed, but they grudgingly fall in line.

Techpriest investigates the machinery, determines that he can fix it but cannot complete the rites of repair and reactivation without the holy girding panel (the hatch). Party goes off to scavenge the part from an even more derelict listening post nearby.

This post turns out to be occupied by a particularily mad ork doc and his horrid experiments. Party is able to fight through them, but the Commisar takes critical damage and nearly dies in the process. Party gets the hatch they need and gets back to the outpost.

cont
>>
>>46308602
The techpriest gets to work repairing the relay, and the Commisar is bedridden from her injuries and being treated by the medic. Party is kind of just killing time and waiting for new orders. I tell them all to make perception checks after a day passes. Only ones to suceed are the Comissar and the psyker. Commisar wakes up to see the Brontian Corporal who was next in charge enter her chambers with a bigass knife, looking to get a little payback for his sarge. Who should happen upon this scene but the psyker. He slams the corperal in the back with some Emperor Palpatine level lightning, toasting the bastard but not quite killing him.

Despite her injuries, the Comissar has the psyker drag the fried and near death soldier out to the courtyard, and limps after him. She loudly declares that this is the fate of traitors and dissidents, and makes a show of blowing his head off in front of his friends before going back to bed.

After that the remaining Brontians were too terrified to rebel any further, and the Comissar developed a grudging respect for the psyker despite his previous fuck ups. It was a really neat emergant relationship, and i was impressed with the Commissar player's ability to play the part so well, as they were not terribly familiar with the 40k universe on the whole
>>
>>46308602
>makes a very convincing ballistics skill roll. Blam, emperor's justice served

I house rule that close range commissar executions always hit, I think it reflects the tabletop better, and I've never heard of a commissar missing his BLAM in lore. Is this heresy?
>>
>>46308892
I guess the gun COULD go click, but you would at the very least have +60 on the test (+20 for aiming, +30 for Point Blank, +10 for it being a Standard Attack), and possibly some other modifications as well. So unless it's an incompetent commissar with BS<25, you WILL auto-hit with it (unless the gun jams).
>>
>>46309023
Wouldn't it be a +10 for the half action aiming?
>>
>>46309129
I would judge that he could do a full action aim at an execution (unless there's a combat going on at the same time, in which case it's rarely an execution). In either case, that's still a respectable +50 to the BS test.
>>
>>46309203
Really, you could houserule a way for Commissars to benefit from a full aim with only a half aim when using a pistol if you want.
>>
>>46308892
I usually just make them successful as well, but the player, after seeing the clearly failed intimidate check kinda just went "Welp, time to execute" and rolled it before i told him not to
>>
What is the best skill progression for a raven guard tactical marine sniper
>>
>>46310141
The Tactical Marine advances have some really great skills for that sort of thing.

Sort of look through it, you can't really go too wrong.
>>
I know I'm being OC but is there a version of Enemies Beyond pdf with the same table of contents format as Within and Without?
>>
>>46311214
Not unless FFG is holding out on us.\
>>
Stranded in feral world for a few months. Our warbands Ministorum Sage about to give birth. How to keep them alive?
>>
>>46311320
Storytime. Now.
>>
>>46311392
Basically she didnt know her goodbye sex with her husband before Inquisitor took her would lead to a kid. We were intercepted by some dark eldar and we were forced to do an emergency landing on the jungke feral world. While holding off D Eldar hunting parties
>>
>>46311887
Do you have a chiurgeon in the party?
>>
Hey, I've been writing flavor text in 1d4chan for some of the homeworlds in DH2.0 and I haven't gotten any feed back. Which I would like.
Also, nobody has added the enemies beyond homeworld. Am I going to have to do that myself?
>>
>>46312440
>Am I going to have to do that myself?

Go for it. Also if that was you, the Garden World description is probably my favorite I've seen.
>>
>>46312440
Man, thanks for doing that. Half that page has been cloned off the 1E page for too long.

Also, question for everyone. Is the new Crusader role as tanky as its 1E counterpart?
>>
>>46312578
>>46312711
aw shucks you guys are making me blush. I still have a lot to do though.

Anyways, I got all the manuals so I could fill in the new stuff. But first, I have to write up a pitch for a DH2.0 campaign that I'll be hosting for a college rpg club.
>>
Alright, I got a situation.
Due to shenanigans, my warband is stuck either assaulting fortified Enforcer garrison that has been infiltrated by cultists, or waiting for our boss to show up and drop the hammer on EVERYTHING, including us.
I have been cramming ideas together, but due to lack of intel and time, I'm stressed to the max.
So time to comb anonymous for ideas.
Foreword: explosives are right out, so don't even mention them. The closest thing I have on hand is promethium.
The garrison is located on the far end of a middle hive block, the entire area on raised platforms. The real problem is that they are in a killzone, a 200 some meter long, 10 meter wide walkway leads to a landing it is situated on, and we are on the other side of it, with no other real avenues of approach outside of flying.
The garrison itself has 2 heavy bolters in front of it, and the building is reinforced, with kill slits on the first and third floors.
We have at our command the aid of the noble commanding the platforms (used for drilling promethium), presumably the Admech in the habblock, 40 armed troops, and an unknown number of loyal enforces outside the garrison (6>), along with whoever within is loyal.
Your most outrageous ideas are appreciated.
>>
>>46313540
>assaulting fortified enforcer garrison

Your boss is right, nuke it from orbit is the best course of action, those things are made to last
>>
>>46313599
>nuke it from orbit is the best course of action, those things are made to last
Either we are in the nuke, or we pay the price afterwards.
>>
>>46313540
Can you hijack a shuttle or a guncutter or something? You could fly in perhaps
>>
>>46313540
Have the men lead a frontal assault, then your warband attacks from either above or below. There is no other way without a long term siege or explosives.
>>
>>46313688
We have 22 hours to get it done.
As far as I know, this hab is entirely enclosed, with the underhive below it. That said, I'll doublecheck come game day.
>>46313721
This is what I am fearing. My plan hinges on loyal men inside opening the doors. Secondary plan is using an uparmoured autocarriage loaded with barrels of promethium to blow the front doors open.
Tertiary plan is using utility servitors to cut them open.
Attacking from below is impossible, above MIGHT be possible.
>>
>>46296085
Bullshit. On a tens-of-thousands-men-strong scale this simply does not work this way and looks laughable.

>>46297004
This is how you do it.
>>
>>46313540
Are there any underhive creatures you could let loose in the enforcer station? Maybe they could cause a distraction.
you could use some critters from v1.0
>>
>>46314434
The underhive is literally a 1 kilometer drop down from where we are. We'd have to bring in things by trucks, and we haven't seen anything on the level we are of that sort.
>>
>>46314417
>On a tens-of-thousands-men-strong scale this simply does not work this way and looks laughable.

Plenty of examples of it in the fiction though. Some Rogue Traders are highly militant and capable killers. Others less so.
>>
>>46314845
But all of them forge their fate by making strategic decisions and putting what resources they have to good use. Those who lead the charges simply have lower average life expectancy - and that's it.
>>
>>46314920
And have the resources, and ennui, to have the best toys with the drive and wherewithal to use them.
You are, perhaps, misunderstanding the mindset of a lot of Rogue Traders, I think.
>>
>>46294642
I want an "Exo-Imperium" expansion/version/splat-book.
I mean chaos gets a manual, the imperium get several manuals, but where the hell is the manual for being xenos?!
>Getting to be a Kommando wiff flashy dakka
>Being an eldar playwright on a craftworld out on a research trip for his latest script
>infiltrating imperial society as an 80%-human kroot infiltrator
>Flying on a radically cool hoverboard as a D.Eldar Hellion
>>
>>46315005
Not at all. You do have money to buy yourself best toys, indeed. But you also have money to equip a whole batallion of men with hose exact toys - it's called best quality stormtrooper detachment. With best weapons money can buy, superior training and small, but at least scaleable numbers, they indeed can affect the tide of battle, while a single warrior, no matter his skill or armor, won't change a thing.

Rogue Traders are there to lead, not micromanage.
>>
>>46315138
>Rogue Traders are there to lead, not micromanage.

Eh, different temperaments lead to different approaches. A lot of the ones who dive headlong die quick, yes...but the ones who don't die quick tend to achieve awesome things.
>>
>>46315300
...if they also have leadership skills, ability to forsee and strategize. In the end, that's what matters when you are building a trade empire.
>>
>>46315352
Also if they have the luck, skill in combat, and right wargear for the job. Including a ship that isn't a pokey POS.

Also keep in mind that, despite the title, building trade empires isn't the only thing Rogue Traders are tasked with. Some just go forth and fill in the map and occasionally haul back whatever swag they managed to pick up over the trip. Still others just go privateering or finding alien worlds to conquer and burn.
>>
>>46313721
>>46313688
Well, just checked.
The area hab we are in is entirely enclosed.
Fuck, this is going south fast.
>>
>>46315488
Warship and weapons, on the other hand, are not absolutely nessesary to achieve greatness. See Saul dynasty.
>>
>>46315732
They are if your aims are militant in nature. Again, full mercantilism is A way to operate as a Rogue Trader, not THE way.
>>
Guys and Gals, I am planning to run a RT game for a few friends. One wants to play a juvenile astropath. I know that Dark Heresy had an age and cosmetic traits table, which I to be honest enjoyed, but I cannot find anything such in Rogue Trader. Did they remove it or just chuck it somewhere else?

A few other questions on Astropaths - I have previously played the game, but we did not have a PC with that career. First, for focus tests, is psy rating changed when the psyker uses the power fettered or pushes it, i.e. if you are normally PR 4, do you only add +10 to focus power tests if you focus fettered, and +35 if you push for +3? Second, are all astropaths supposed to be blind and if yes, would it be a big heresy if an astropath has their eyes regrown via psychic powers or grafts?
>>
>>46315793
Cosmetic things are in dark heresy 1 core buddy
>>
>>46315793
Unsure

You wouldn't be asking this question if you read how psychic powers work.

They can see fine really. Read the special abilities section at the end of the career chapter.
>>
>>46315793
And astropath dont need to be blind, they are fragile and may be blind, may be disabled (not walking, on chair), depends how your buddy wants to fluff it up.
>>
>>46315763
Using military means at all is also but one path to greatness amongst multitudes of others, not a must-do for every aspiring captain. And even there, your ability to plan and execute strategic operations will matter, not the fact that you slain a few dozen enemy troopers personally.
>>
>>46315916
I think revitalizing a decrepit sub-sector would make for a fun and uplifting RT campaign.
>>
>>46315864
Astropaths specifically are blind though. Besides, RT astropath blindness it gives more advantages than disadvantages.
>>
>>46315985
Oh. Personally I thought that it really depends
>>
>>46315971
There you have a subsector Periphery which is torn apart by civil war, bleeding, starving, and just happends to have lots of resourses and the only available route to Scarus Sector.
>>
>>46316031
If you get soul-bound, but not as an astropath, then it does.
>>
>>46315556
Are there any utilities leading to the building? Sabotaging a gas main with your limited explosives may work.

You could try sneaking up and climbing in too, if you are really, really desperate.
>>
>>46315916
>Using military means at all is also but one path to greatness amongst multitudes of others, not a must-do for every aspiring captain

Never said or ever meant to imply it wasn't, only pointed out that there's more than one valid tack.
>>
>>46315793
Fun fact, your PC Astropath can be whatever age he wants, as he's an "Astropath Transcendant" which basically means he's strong enough to ignore the burnout that the rest of the face.

Practically every Astropath dies young.
>>
>>46316094
>Are there any utilities leading to the building? Sabotaging a gas main with your limited explosives may work.
Blowing the place up isn't an option outside the very last of the line.
Our primary objective is to capture the Enforcer captain for interrogation, terminate if unable to capture.
Secondary objective is to retrieve a captured member of the warband, dead or alive, which is rapidly falling to a tertiary objective.
End point, we need to get in to get our work done, and there are no ways in without requiring explosives; the place is basically a rockcrete box.
I will doublecheck the plans we have though.
>>
>>46315854

I know they can see, he was just asking about the cosmetic issue of not having functional eyes. The book itself gives it as a feature at p.72, so I was curious if someone had dealt with it - I could imagine some of the more dogmatic people at the Adeptus Astra Telepathica not liking it if influential astropaths find a way to reverse the physical marking of the soul-binding, thinking it prideful or even blasphemous.

As for the focus power action - hm, this is actually clarified in the living errata, nevermind.

>>46316306

Yeah, I was planning on letting him be 16-17 if he feels he really wants to, as it was almost possible by the DH table anyway. I like the idea of tables with weird s**t in 40k, I guess.
>>
>>46316685
>if he feels he really wants to
Remind him that means he would likely have been taken on the Black Ships when he wasn't even a teenager, and then subjected to the horrible trials of the Psykers at a ripe young age.
>>
>>46316518
Use Molotov cocktails on the bolters to buy you time, the heat should drive them back. Though your GM seems like a bit of a dick so that may not happen.

If the door isn't opened by loyalists inside, you're a degree of fucked.
>>
>>46317359
>Use Molotov cocktails on the bolters to buy you time, the heat should drive them back
We have to cross a 200 meter cattle shoot to GET to the HBs. They don't even begin to be the actual problem until we get there, and even then, we have our own HBs to use.
>>
>>46317431
You said you had men. They will die for you, spend them wisely for it is your duty as agent of the Emperor. Use them to get close.
>>
>>46317559
Yes.
40 men. I'm not gonna burn them just to get to the heavy bolters, anon, then find myself doing a hall by hall urban assault against an entrenched foe with a percentage of the forces I started with.
I ain't Cherenkov, here.
>>
>>46317644
Just use fucking rocket launchers and chimeras. Who the fuck uses acolytes and throws them in situation like this, you are not fucking expendables or imperial guard, Inquisitior should call up some leman russes or pull some strings to call in heavier support like killteam or sobs
>>
>>46317746
Anon, I'm gonna take a breath, then tell you to read the fucking thread, or at least click up the response chain to see what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>46317644
Have thirty men hold back and fire from fortified positions at the heavy bolters. Have ten of the fastest runners charge forward with molotovs in each hand to throw. Once done, move 15 additional men forward to the wall with the rest keeping any defenders suppressed.

At that point, you only need to worry about breaching.
>>
>>46317797
>Have thirty men hold back and fire from fortified positions at the heavy bolters
Already planning to crank up some impromptu cover and fire down the lane.
I have a plan in mind to get our heavy bolters into a forward position, but that depends on getting more structural plans from the admech.
>Have ten of the fastest runners charge forward with molotovs in each hand to throw
You think 10 guys are gonna charge 200 meters thru heavy bolter fire and MAKE it?
Hell, a pinning checks alone would bust that wide open.
>>
>>46317794
Hey, you are ona fucking planet, use your fukken inqusition authority and hire some mercs/contact local arbites to help you. Either way your GM is making you stand in a railroadish situation, which is clearly the sound that its going to be worse.
>>
>>46317857
Yeah, because "ten fastest runners" can dodge fucking mg42 in spess with explosive shells.
>>
>>46317857
Alright. We're just brainstorming here. But hopefully the massed fire on the guns would have kept them down.

Shit. You need a way to get to that wall, or an assault is dead in the water. If you get really desperate, requisition a car and armor it up. Then drive right towards the gate with it with as much ammo, grenades, and fuel you can get out of people with that badge of yours.

Or, start a fuckload of oil fires and fill the area with more black smoke than they can see through.
>>
Promethium mining sounds like it involves a lot of machinery, have you considered drilling in?
>>
>>46317893
Read >>46313540 and shut the fuck up, jesus christ.
>>46317911
You can't dodge suppressive fire.
>>46317979
I had thought of both of these things, and both are on the docket of shit to do.
The hab block we are in is part of a drilling operation, so getting barrels of promethium wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>46318031
No shit sherlock. Just pointing that out that even if it wasnt suppresive fire then it wouldnt be possible. Railroadish situation as fuck.
>>
>>46318017
The drill platform itself isn't mobile, it is the equivalent of a deep sea drilling platform.
>>46318077
Your contributions are admirable, your commentary asinine. I know why we are in this situation, and why we chose this route, I just don't feel like storytiming the entirety of our events to justify it to a random chucklefuck.
>>
>>46318031
That's two good plans then. I say try them in conjunction. The smoke first, then the car-o-fun.
>>
>>46318159
Actually, it's just been my dumbass coming up with ideas.

But you're being a cunt to three separate people. So I hope you manage to win, try the truck and smoke method, and go fuck yourself.
>>
>>46318173
Depending on what I can kludge together, I am mulling over sending a forward squad up by clambering underneath the central gangway.
>>
How can I convince the dm to not be so damn tightfisted with equipment? There is lots of stuff in the books that seems to not exist anywhere.
>>
>>46284829
I need help /40krpg/, I want my players to be able to encounter a variety of threats in space, but the one threat I think would be the most terrifyting, and most fun to throw at them, are the Tyranids.

Are Tyranid ships statted in any of the books or fanmade supplements?
>>
Anyone have any good gallery/art sources? I need design inspiration/reference images so I can pop over to the drawthread and set up a request for this character I'm making. Of particular interest are naval characters. Any rank will do for basic inspiration though my character I'm intending to have a decent rank (not officer though, more like "been here way too damn long" enlisted). Thinking E-8 ish at least in American military rankings. So Master Sergeant (Army) or Senior Chief Petty Officer (Navy) equivalent.
>>
>>46318967
What are you playing?
>>
>>46318967
What are you playing, how powerful is the party, and what gear is he withholding?
>>
>>46319490
>>46319595
Dark Heresy.
The group is scattered in XP, some around 2k I think, others near 9k.
Basically, anything that is Rare and worse is simply unavailable. We've even made inroads with the Admech and other movers and shakers politically, but if we ask for almost anything that isn't common bits, it's just not there.
>>
>>46319789
Is he letting you roll for it, or just shooting you down? Is there a story reason for it, a planetary blockade, black market crackdown, etc?
>>
>>46319871
I'm asking because if he's Rule Zero-ing it, thn unless its tied to a major plot point, its really bad form to not give a reason as to why you're invoking rule zero. Ask him why, and if he says "Because I said so," tell him to stop being a dickbag, or he'll be a GM without a party.
>>
>>46319915
And no, I'm not saying good GMs hand their players lots of toys, but at 9k experience, with friends in the local government and AdMech, and you can't get a single piece of Very Rare gear, is kinda fucking stupid.
>>
>>46319960
hear hear
>>
>>46319789
>>46319871
>>46319915
>>46319960
>>46320011
What they said.

As for how to convince him to stop it by using in-game measures... well... Start making it. Hereteks are the best at that, but anyone can theoretically make anything with enough pips in in the right places. Since he won't give it to you, be creative, make it, and then laugh when he flips his shit because y'all found a loophole. That's if negotiating doesn't work that is.

I guess that solution depends on how Puritan your group is, but seriously, you're the Inquisition! You can get away with damn near anything for a while especially if you lie about it. Also, rally your warband, discus this gear problem with them (without the GM), then bring in the GM when the whole group has a consensus.

If one guy is whining, he's "that guy". If the whole group has a gripe, it's on the GM.
>>
>>46319789
What do you need those rare items for? Are you a sleeper agent cell, or a cleanup warband?
If the only job your superiors are asking of you is to lay low, investigate and infiltrate - that could be a perfect reason not to use rare items at all.

>>46320353

Rare items are called that way for a reason. Without templates, zealously guarded by admech, difficult to acquire materials, and advanced manufacturing equipment which doesn't exist outside few existing forges, you ain't gonna craft yourself something very rare.
>>
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on how to stat a homebrew chapter for deathwatch. I've never touched the game before, and looking through stuff, I have no clue what I'm doing
>>
>>46322219
General advice is avoid using homebrew chapters.
Other than that, think of the most look-alike chapter out of those represented, and make a few changes, but be sure not to make it unbalanced.
>>
>>46323253
Not mine, /tg/ homebrew
>>
Would anyone be interested in playing a short Rogue Trader campaign? I'm thinking something on the scale of 4 or 5 sessions, following a tight story arc and feeling like a small section of the party's adventures.

Game would be either afternoons on weekdays or evenings on saturdays, PST. Looking for 3-6 players. I'm a pretty casual GM, and this won't be a very long campaign, so feel free to break out that character concept you thought was too snowflakey for a big campaign. Material from other 40kRPGs is okay long as you can justify it. Probably around 9500 XP

Contact is drrobert14 on skype.
>>
In your opinion, what are weapons and ammo types that are over/underpowered for what the listed rarity is and why?
>>
>>46323315
go on 1d4chan
>>
>>46323315
>/tg/ homebrew
Avoid at all cost
>>
>>46322201
>What do you need those rare items for?
The players should not need to justify wanting equipment to better do their jobs.
If you look in the books, anything that isn't exceedingly bog standard is rare quality, unless you are going to argue that a BOLAS is admech property, advanced manufacturing, or difficult to acquire. It's clear that some items are only less common for interest of artificial balance rather than setting logic.
>>
>>46324919
>under
Hotshot las
Power weapons
Plasma
Grenade launchers
Heavy bolters
Most/all alternative ammo not named manstoppers
Almost all primitive weapons
Most specialty/named weapons

>over
Flame bombs
Autocannons
Great weapons
Combat shotgun
A very few specialty/named weapons
>>
>>46326395
The issue with hotshot weapons is that their high pen makes them godlike against guards in carapace armour or even Astartes, but the unimproved damage means TB is just as much a barrier as the armour. Which is a damn shame.
>>
>>46284829
>Best blaze of glory
>campaign finale, we are clearing warp infestation in a ruined chapel of a battleship plunging towards the hive to make sure less daemons spill out when it crashes
>Inside there is a daemon of tzeentch, a renegade inquisitor whose soul was bound to astartes body following the pact with the aforementioned daemon and -surprise, surprise- a former psyker PC, whose vagaries caused untimely demise of our inquisitor's best friend and colleague when they were working together as mere acolytes
>the psyker is now fused with his.buddy daemon he'd summoned by the end of the last campaign and caused ruin of another PCs noble house
>final rounds of the battle: the inquisitor stops shooting and walks up to the wounded PC/daemon creature
>"Here's the trick I've learned from you!" - blasts the daemon with his digi melta eyes
>It must be noted the PC was a pyromancer
>Daemon stumbles backward, tries to gloat - do what you want, his soul (gesturing at the noble PC) is mine
>Inquisitor, fuming, leans in and plunges his palm in the daemons chest, ripping the heart out in one swift motion
>HIS. SOUL. IS. MINE.
gg wp no re
>>
File: Lord_of_Change_warp_power.jpg (74 KB, 546x829) Image search: [Google]
Lord_of_Change_warp_power.jpg
74 KB, 546x829
>>46327199
I'll get you next time!
>>
File: Glitch Doctor.png (462 KB, 902x996) Image search: [Google]
Glitch Doctor.png
462 KB, 902x996
Hey guys,

So I'm starting a Dark Heresy 2nd Edition campaign. I'm doing a Feral World Tech Priest. Since he's from a very primitive society we went with the whole witch doctor theme... so he's the tribe's Glitch Doctor.

So instead of a servo skull he has a servo spider, his mechadendrites end in snake heads, he has what looks like long dreadlocks that end in USB plugs, etc. Think Witch Doctor class from Diablo 3 with a 40k Adeptus Mechanicus twist.

His background on his homeworld was raising machines from the dead (fixing them) and creating undead zombie servants (servitors). As such he has high tech use and medicae.

Anyway our GM is giving use a house-rule ability. It's going to be a powerful once-per-session free action that goes with the theme of our characters.

Our first idea was an EMP blast to shut down all machinery nearby a-la Neo in the Matrix 2 when he shuts down those Sentinels.

I figured there's gotta be a cooler, more horror-witch doctor-jungle themed ability. Imagination is the limit, fun and powerful without being game-breaking.

Any ideas?
>>
>>46326363
Unless everyone and their mother knows that they work for the Inquisition, they really fucking should have good reason to walk around with toys which drop subtlety every time they go anywhere public.
>>
>>46328228
Try telling my players that.
>>
>>46328038
as I've mentioned in the thread you started: Electrical cables freak the fuck out, pull themselves out of their housings and try to grapple and electrocute every enemy around.

I'd say either target one specific apparatus that freaks out and grapples everything nearby, or an area where everything just goes haywire.
>>
>>46328038

You carry an old, feral machine spirit that can make electronics go haywire. Doors slam shut and swing open. Wiring overloads. Etc.
>>
>>46328038
Haywire field but not in the RAW sense. You spit a curse, it may give an Insanity Point or something as you're harming and hurting the machine spirits in your vicinity, but everything that can go wrong does go wrong. Electronic doors slam open and shut with force to break a mans arm, lightblubs explode, wiring almost seems to come alive as it thrashes about ensnaring everything it can. That sorta thing.
>>
>>46328284
You tell them that, by adequately portraying world's reaction to their choices. Wanna walk with bling? Your enemies now know you're coming and, depending on their resourses, will safely remove them or simply disappear. Then, portray an adequate reaction of their master.
>>
>>46320353
This. Make it the parties objective to seek out the gear you want to try and make acquisition rolls or barter with hereteks or Admech for. Your GM can't keep Rare+ gear from falling into the parties hands forever if your party is actively seeking it out, negotiating with the right factions and so on.
>>
>>46326395
>missing off multilaser
literally the dumbest fucking thing ever
>>
>>46328228
>I'm going to assume the absolute worst because everyone except me is stupid!
>because y'know, shit like stummers/screamers, wilderness gear, outlands capable autocarriages, bionics, NONLETHAL WEAPONS, anything that modifies a weapon at all, any beneficial drug that isn't Stimm, DISGUISE KITS are all incredibly obvious items
>nope, players don't want to run around in flak cloaks and lasguns the entire game, so they MUST want power armor and plasma guns for everyone, including the sage
So if the game isn't dirtbag scumsuckers, we must be playing it wrong.
>>
>>46329117
Multilaser isn't mentioned ANYWHERE as an infantry capable weapon, only mounted on chimeras, while the autocannon is mentioned more than once, in more than a few sources, as being as manportable as the heavy bolter.
Learn your shit before you talk shit.
>>
>>46329230
>Learn your shit before you talk shit.
and fucking yet you wanker, everywhere it has rules its heavy NOT vehicle only, its even given to one of the classes in only war. It SHOULD be a vehicle only weapon , but isn't, which is why its so fucking OP

check yourself before you rek yourself
>>
>>46329206
It very well might be, if your enemies are hiding among thousands upon thousands of dirtbag scumsuckers.
>>
>>46329279
>>46329230
Mom, dad stop fighting

Has anyone ever run something like Only War Feudal World edition? I kinda think imperial guard fighting feral orks with laslock muskets would be hardcore and fun as fuck. Like a modified tech heavy WHFB roleplaying game
>>
>>46329778
dont worry little timmy, this defintly isnt because you have autism
>>
>>46329778
>as anyone ever run something like Only War Feudal World edition?
yes, fucking yes. i would play it
>>
I swear, 40kfags are almost worse than D&Dfags these days.

Why can't we all just get along and enjoy our shared interest? Why do we have to flip tables and get all butthurt over stupid shit every damn day?
>>
When is gw going to update tyranids ? Kinda bored of running 3 flying tyrants
>>
>>46330314
wrong bread friend
>>46330294
People love to argue, and the internet gives us a nice avenue for that. However some times it goes too far and shits up a nice chill thread like this one

Is it worth taking stub revolvers as a side arm simply for the coolness factor of using badass revolvers? Or should we go with autopistols like a sane individual?
>>
>>46330366

There's still shitposting about homebrew, even though most of us left after the homebrew cancer metastasized.
>>
>>46330366
Wait so they wont get updated .-.
>>
>>46330508
Not sure if shotposting or senile old man. I will admit though, flying hive tyrant spam is not fun to play against in the slightest. In fact the whole rock/paper/scissors style flying unit system kinda killed my enthusiasm for the 40k wargame. Either you are completely prepared to deal with flying units or you are fucked, it is like a list tax to bring some sort of anti air and i feel like it is a cancer on the game.

Not that it is at all relevant to our thread about warhammer roleplaying games though
>>
Anybody got any nice somewhat generic overworld maps? I want to track the progress of my OW group's planetary invasion for a campaign i am running soon, with like battle lines and stuff. Bonus points if it contains a city or a couple
>>
>>46326395
How to fix?
>>
>>46331213
I mean, a lot of those things are not underpowered so much as they are just niche. Hotshot las for example, pretty good against anyone with an annoying amount of armor but not an amazing toughness bonus.
>>
>>46330508
>>46330691
It used an emote, it's shitposting.
>>
>>46330969
Try this if you're alright with hex stuff http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/
>>
So I'm trying to come up with an interesting homeworld for my players to be from, since they're probably gonna be there for 2-4 sessions before they get picked up by one of the Great Crusade's expeditionary fleets.

They're going to be Knights Questoris, so I might put their world at the edge of a small alien empire.

Other knight worlds are shit like Dark Haven where the place is basically inimical to human life and covered in massive, fungal forests and arthropod god-monsters.

I'm drawing a total block on what I could possibly make the planet like. Something like Kharak from Homeworld could be cool.
>>
File: fug.jpg (47 KB, 600x797) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
47 KB, 600x797
>yfw you realize you're the only puritan in the party
>>
>>46335592
Do your duty to the emperor anon, purge them all
>>
>>46335592
Redeem them all anon. Redeem them in the eyes of the Emperor.
>>
>>46335592
Lead by example. Be the beacon of light in a galaxy of darkness. Guide them back to the God-Emperor's grace.
>>
>>46334757
Spooky swampy death world filled with ruined hives and radioactive fog leftover from an ancient war.

The players need to protect the last human fortress(es) from giant acid frogs, plasma spitting dragolizards, mutant hordes, etc.

The alien empire might be harvesting the local beasts to use as servitor war machines or using the planet as a dumping ground for undesirables.

That's what I managed to pull out of my ass.
>>
>>46335592
Speaking from experience these guys know what's up
>>46335988
>>46337066
Being the good cop to a series of progressively worse cops was cool, but not as cool as pulling them back from the edge
>>
>>46337085

I like it.

Nice one, anon.
>>
Anyone here ever successfully done a survivalist section of their campaign? Like, on a Frontier or even worse, Feral/Death world, where in addition to their mission, they have to do subsistence hunting, purify water, and secure transport off world after the mission.

Yes, this question brought to you by FO4 Survival mode update and the Gereon 12 arc of Gaunt's Ghosts.
>>
>>46340614
A good while back I was in an OW game where our regiment was a Guerillas team; we had several scenes where we were doing survival shit and dealing with local nasties as much or more than fighting the actual enemy.
>>
File: Savoury.jpg (43 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Savoury.jpg
43 KB, 250x250
>>46340614
>a survivalist section

The concept sounds a lot like rolling dice for the amusement of the GM until he- I mean, "the environment" inevitably - and ignominiously - kills your char.

Pass.
>>
File: 1310790138712.jpg (21 KB, 479x359) Image search: [Google]
1310790138712.jpg
21 KB, 479x359
>Black Crusade
>DM introduced Xenomorphs
>Not something like a Xenomorph. Straight up face-rape-you-in-the-ass xenomorphs
>My character is a Heretek obsessed with learning fucking everything
>We found them on a planet with boatloads of Archeotech
>My character is not aware of Facehuggers or how they take on traits of those that they infect
>Just that they have acid blood
>Our party really needs a way to get through locked blast doors and this would be perfect for it
>Our ship is full of Slanesh worshipers and shitball Space Marines.
>Shitball Space Marines do not wear helmets because "Then they'll have a face and we all know if they have a face then they gain plot armor"

/tg/ how fucking boned is my party
>>
>>46342608
>Space marine gets facehugged
>Xenomorph tries to chest burst
>Rams its head full force into the fused rib-cage all space marines have
>Dies of cranial trauma
>>
>>46342662
That is fucking great.
>>
what one-shot would you recommend for Deathwatch? i'm looking for suggestions besides extraction.
>>
>>46342662
Couldn't a sm just eat the egg?
>>
>>46342662
>Space marine gets facehugged
> face hugger isn't strong enough to choke a marine
>>
How explosive would a single mag's worth of bolt pistol rounds sized for humans be if used as a makeshift explosive cluster?
>>
>>46345872
That would be eight .75 HE rounds.

If I had to, I would stat it as a frag grenade for damage and blast purposes.
>>
>>46346052
.75 caliber is just under 20mm. I'd rate it at two, likely three frags, for a whole mag going up.
>>
>>46342608
Realistically? Exceedingly so, especially if he has them on par with genestealers.
Your entire ship is ripe for hiving, and if you run into locked blast doors, just have your utility servitors use lascutters on them, fuck.
>>
File: 1343752449277.png (227 KB, 415x357) Image search: [Google]
1343752449277.png
227 KB, 415x357
>>46342392
>Battle encounters
>The concept of rolling dice for the amusement of the GM until he- I mean, "the mooks" inevitably - and ignominously - kill your char.
>>
>>46348410
This.
>>
>>46340614
My OW players are on a death world now, the last sessions have been about getting in a position to observe orkish movements from and then regroup and fall back to base as it became clear that something big was going to come their way during the night. Navigate and survival checks were rolled, failures involved getting out of position and encountering local threats in the form of predators, critters, killer trees or poisonous mud pools.
>>
What's the overall best, multitasking weapon for a variety of targets and situations?
I was thinking chainsword, honestly.
Balanced for parrying, respectable damage and pen (unless you are against SMs, but fuck, Cain did it), tearing for RF fishing and extra damage in case you need to rip/tear hordes, single hand so you can dual wield or hold a shield for more defensive options.
>>
File: g1336025193516941317[1].jpg (55 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
g1336025193516941317[1].jpg
55 KB, 550x412
>>46329778
>When you're being hailed as a hero and given an ancient and powerful relic, the only laspistol on the planet.

>>46337085
Hive ruins are very cool, you can play with verticality and offer different environments without making them travel a lot.
Also, spires and giant swamp vegetation emerging from radioactive fog makes for nice pictures.
>>
>>46285932
No, they can carry up more, usually a year with moderation. Even in RT, six months is just the first "limit" for when you get out of Fresh Grot tenderloin, which is disgusting, but not enterely lethal.
>>
GM is talking about starting a DW campaign.
Is there anyway to start with a Powerfist? I know assaults just get a shitty chainsword, and both the requisition and renown are too high for a level one marine to afford it.
>>
>>46349722
>chainsword
>shitty
I hope you get faceraped by a genestealer.
>>
>>46349737
Well, ok it's not shitty. But I want to punch things in their stupid face, not hack them to pieces.
>>
>>46349808
Your 1d10+10 unarmed attacks as a DW marine are nothing to laugh at, Anon.
>>
>>46349828
Christ are they really that good? I'm guessing DW was before the Primitive overhaul?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.