[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ - Shadowrun General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: the_deal_by_adamkuczek-d7vco83.jpg (212 KB, 1280x735) Image search: [Google]
the_deal_by_adamkuczek-d7vco83.jpg
212 KB, 1280x735
Connecting to JackPoint VPN...
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>>Enter Passcode: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to < ERROR: NODE UNKNOWN >

>Pastebin:http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
>Chummer 5:https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
>Issue tracker:https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/issues/

Old Thread: >>46244312

Street Vendors Edition.
>>
Does Black Market Pipeline provide discount at chargen?
>>
>>46283847
i think it just gives you a free item
>>
So, /srg/, if I wanted to run a "street level" game in 4th edition, what sort of character generation rules would I be looking at? I know I don't want to lower maximum availability, so as to keep the good cyberware in theoretical reach. I don't want every to just default to being a mage.

So, how do I do it, what sort of character generation rules should I impose? I am doing the free contacts and free knowledge skills, because those are all nice things for players to have (And what sort of streetpunk doesn't have contacts?)
>>
>>46284485
>in 4th edition
Just reduce points/karma.
>>
>>46284512
What would you recommend? 600 karma?
>>
>>46284586
What would be the recomended karma for highschool level game?
>>
File: Capture.png (26 KB, 420x172) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
26 KB, 420x172
>>46284586
500-600 karma seems reasonable enough.
>>
>>46284485
600 (or perhaps 650) karma, maximum availability 10, max karma on nuyen is 70, max Magic is 4, one skill at 5, or two at 4, free knowledge skill points as per BPgen, metatype costs equal to BP*2, metatype attributes as a modifier rather than a base

Should work nicely.
>>
So, anons, to celebrate Easter and Christ's resurrection, I decided to create a Charismatic Christian Magical Tradition, to allow PCs of Protestant organizations who don't recognize the Pope's authority to use the power of God to destroy the forces of darkness.

Christian Charismatic
Combat: Guardian
Detection: Guidance
Health: Water
Illusion: Man
Manipulation: Task
Drain Attributes: Charisma + Willpower

Preferred Spells:
Detect [Shadow Spirits]
Slay [Shadow Spirit] (or Slay [Shadow Spirit Type], if your GM thinks that's too broad a spell)
Heal
Cure Disease
Astral Armor

Preferred Adept Powers:
Empathic Healing
Astral Perception
Mystic Armor
Pain Relief

Charismatic Christians see the world as a spiritual contest between the forces of darkness and light. When humanity Fell, they gave the Devil spiritual authority over the world, and as the king of the material world, he brought all pain, suffering, and death. It was only by Jesus's suffering and death that the Devil's grip on the world was broken, and it is through the efforts of Jesus's followers that the Kingdom of Heaven is built, and suffering washed away. However, the Devil does not take this affront lightly, and pushes back strongly against those who work to build a Kingdom in God's name. It is in this context of spiritual struggle that humanity exists in, in this current age: a cosmic battle between Good and Evil, played out inside men's hearts, and carried out through their words and deeds (though that is not to say that angels and demons are not real, spiritual forces at work). God gave to the followers of Jesus spiritual authority to cast out demons and to heal the sick, and he often grants prophetic words of knowledge to those who seek them, and it is those gifts that are most often found among the Awakened of this tradition; Illusion and Manipulation spells that violate free will are all but nonexistent (though magic that calms people by banishing "spirits of anger" and the like is not unknown).
>>
>>46286493
Virtually all Awakened Christian Charismatics possess the Mentor Spirit advantage to represent their personal relationship with God; while they are all in communion with the same Holy Spirit, they all have different talents, approaches, and spiritual callings, and this is represented by allowing them to take different Mentor Spirits based on this; common Mentor Spirits include the Dragon-Slayer, the Oracle, the Peacemaker, and the Wise Warrior; Mentor Spirits such as The Adversary, Chaos, Seduce, or Doom are all but unknown, as they represent the many faces of the forces of spiritual darkness.

Christian Charismatics can be found throughout the Western Hemisphere (and, given how many often feel a calling for missionary work, can occasionally be found in the strangest places outside of it). They are often found running charitable organizations, sometimes in even the worst neighborhoods; an Awakened pastor who is known to run a healing ministry often has nothing to fear from the locals, even in the worst parts of the Redmond Barrens - God protects them, and noone wants to shoot the guy that'll heal their bullet wounds with a smile and a prayer.
>>
>>46286493
>>46286573

I actually really like this concept. I think I'll use it for an NPC. Thanks for sharing, chummer.
>>
>>46286493

>Task
>Man
>Guidance
>Guardian

Jesus, did you want to make the most powerful tradition out there?
>>
File: 1339209115632.png (19 KB, 400x431) Image search: [Google]
1339209115632.png
19 KB, 400x431
>due to needing the lay low, group only sends one person to collect the (unknown to them) massive payoff so that they can all get cybered up.
>the mage gives everyone ~100k and keeps 500k for himself
>>
>>46286493
>>46286573
Bleurgh, never liked Magicians who think they get their Magic from a high power.
Especially when their tradition just so happens to provide access to Guardian, Guidance, Task and Man Spirits.
>>
>>46286698
What, did the Johnson all of a sudden decide to pay them more?
>>
>>46286698
Were you that dude who asked a couple days back about giving your players a ton of money?

That's funny as fuck though. Dude's gonna buy SOOO many Foci.
>>
>>46286573
Isn't Doom like a Toxic mentor spirit? So like, NO one healthy has one?
>>46286723
Higher power more like higher power GAMER! HEH!
>>
>>46286723
>Bleurgh, never liked Magicians who think they get their Magic from a high power.

I personally like it but then, I'm biased. My favorite Shadowrun character of all time was a Shinto Mage and Priestess.
>>
>>46286747
Yes
>>46286734
I worked in them inheriting an estate so that they could cyber up and cover their shitty initial builds. Literally no one except the mage has any initiative boosting
>>
>>46286775
Yeah, but they think they get their powers from their relationship with the actual beings they actually interact with, all of the time.

Christians can't summon God.
>>
>>46286778
>cover their shitty initial builds
Next time, offer them store credit with various Aug installation companies.
EVO for example is able to provide payments 2-3 times as large as simple cash in augs, which is a MAJOR benefit from working for them.

EVO best Corp.
Buttercup is mai waifu.
>>
>>46286787

No but they CAN summon what (They think) are angels.

Funny thing: Actual Christian Theurgy in shadowrun doesn't think that.

The official line of the catholic church is that 'Spirit are natural beings, just ones of a different nature to most others. They are just like animals or humans. Magic is god's gift in the same way that Science or Music is'.

The reason they use Christian Symbolism is because the feelings and knowledge of that symbolism is comforting and easy to draw power from.

4e Already HAS a tradition for crazy protestant Faith Healers like that guy is making. It's called Miracles and is generally mocked like crazy by both mages and Catholics. There is a reason it turns up in the same part of the books as Psionics and other discarded theories.
>>
>>46286801
>Accepting augs as payment.

Risky. Better have your hacker and a friendly street doc go over them afterwards and check them for hidden surprises. Corp gonna be Corp, even EVO.
>>
>>46286831
Then what purpose does this tradition serve?
What makes it so special, so different from Christian Theurgy?

You don't have different traditions for each branch of Hermeticism. Well, bar Druidic Hermeticism.
>>
>>46286696
That's the whole point of custom tradition. And the reason why GM should never let players make it themselves.
>>
>>46286836
Well yeah, if they bug your augs, then leak information about the Johnson to the news or the Shadow community.

They fuck with you, you fuck with them.
>>
>>46286847

Not a clue. I'm not the guy who made it.

I'm just pointing out that one already exists for what he made. That and that Catholics will laugh at him. A lot.
>>
>>46286696
No, I haven't actually played Shadowrun in years. I have no idea how strong the different spirits are; I just wanted to pick the ones that made sense for the tradition, based on their themes.

Guardians are the combat-oriented angels. I suppose you could use Fire for God's burning wrath, but Guardian works the best - generally, they're not destroyers, they're protectors.

The link between Guidance Spirits and Detection Magic should be obvious.

Manipulation summons Task Spirits because they're the spirits of creative energies; the angels that help keep gears of the universe turning and the ones that help advance God's creative nature, or who help build the Kingdom of God. Basically the idea is to summon the angels who helped put the stars in the sky, in order to manipulate the physical world.

Healing Spells are associated with Water Spirits, because water and/or honey imagery is often used in prayers of healing. Calling down the cool waters of God's mercy, and so forth.

Illusion is a tricky one, because honestly I can't see Charismatic Christians using it that much; however, the point of it is to affect the senses of Men, so summoning the spirits of the principalities and powers works fine there. If you can think of anything better, I'd be happy to hear about it.

>>46286723
The idea is that God gave unto all Christians the power to exorcise demons and perform works of healing; it just doesn't work in obvious ways for all of them.

>>46286755
>Isn't Doom like a Toxic mentor spirit?
Is it? I was just reading through the list of Mentor Spirits in Chummer 5e and went "No, that doesn't sound right."

>>46286787
>Christians can't summon God.
Of course they can't. God is their Mentor Spirit; he's already inside them, and when he physically manifests, well, picking fights with manifested Mentor Spirits can be summed up as "Rocks fall, everybody dies."
>>
>>46287029
>exorcise demons and perform works of healing
Every Mage can use Banishing, and cast Healing spells. I don't get how that justifies those Spirit choices.

>manifested Mentor Spirits
Is... Is this a thing in 5e?
Please tell me it isn't.
>>
>>46287061

>Is... Is this a thing in 5e?

Not as far as I know. Though I've used 'Avatar of a Mentor spirit' (Though not the full spirit itself) as the fluff behind a force 10+ spirit before.
>>
>>46287061
There is a flavor for "mentor spirit can directly affect anything", basically it's justification for gm fiat.
>>
>>46286831
>Funny thing: Actual Christian Theurgy in shadowrun doesn't think that.
Yeah, I know. My intent was to show how actual Christians who actually believe that they have supernatural powers actually think they work. I should know; I go to a church where this stuff is doctrine, and I've literally felt the physical presence of the Holy Spirit as a weight on my hands during prayer; one night a couple weeks ago, I actually physically *saw* a manifestation of the Holy Spirit - and not as a vision in my mind, but with my physical eyes (I prayed for protection, and then a bird like a sparrow or a dove flew into my bedroom through a window I knew was closed).

I doubt that the Charismatic/Evangelical Protestant churches in movements like the one I go to belong to would change their doctrine just because the Pope decided to invent something found nowhere in the Bible, when they already have a perfectly plausible explanation for it already in the Bible, especially when members of their congregations begin manifesting powers that work much they way they think they should.

>4e Already HAS a tradition for crazy protestant Faith Healers like that guy is making. It's called Miracles and is generally mocked like crazy by both mages and Catholics.

Yeah, I know, I just decided to write it out as a proper Magical Tradition, since judging by the numbers of people who attend these churches, there'd be more Protestant Faith Healers than there would be Mages and Shamans put together, at least in places like the UCAS.

>>46286847
>Then what purpose does this tradition serve?
To let you play a Christian miracle worker.

>What makes it so special, so different from Christian Theurgy?
Christian Theurgy is a hybrid of actual Christian doctrine and Hermetic magical thought; it's magery in Christian trappings. Charismatic Faith Healing would be an unadulterated strain of Christian spiritual thought.
>>
File: Anderson.gif (760 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Anderson.gif
760 KB, 500x281
>>46287204
>actual Christians

...are you implying that Catholics are not Christians?
>>
>>46287204
>an unadulterated strain of Christian spiritual thought
So new age make believe entirely unfounded in any kind of trappings.

Chaos Magic.
>>
>>46287239
>who actually believe that they have supernatural powers
My understanding is that Catholics tend not to believe in people with healing hands and such, they prefer their God to be a bit more subtle.
>>
>>46287061
>Every Mage can use Banishing, and cast Healing spells. I don't get how that justifies those Spirit choices.

It's an especial focus for them, though, because those, along with the gifts of prophecy, are the gifts that God explicitly granted to the Apostles (and through them, the rest of the Church). That's why their Preferred Spells include two healing spells, "Detect Demon", and "Kill Demon". The spirit choices are mostly related to how they'd go about thinking about how those sorts of magic work. Combat magic is for protection, so Guardian Spirits; Detection magic is prophetic blessings, so Guidance Spirits; Healing Magic is the blessed waters of God's mercy flowing on the person, so Water spirits; Manipulation magic is affecting the physical world, so you get the spirits that helped build it/maintain it; Illusion magic manipulates the senses of Men, so you get the angels that rule over groups of them. Illusion is the weakest association of all of them, and while Guardian could be replaced by Fire (representing God's burning wrath that burns until nothing remains of the wicked), they usually see combat as more about protecting the just than scourging the wicked.

>Is... Is this a thing in 5e? Please tell me it isn't.
Street Grimoire, p. 202. "Avatar Spirits". Basically "If you're dumb enough to fight one, hand your character sheet to the GM, and prepare roll up a new character."
>>
Sorry for being late to the party, but I only just got around to reading Rigger 5.0. It's a fun enough book, but something came up while I was rolling up a new character:
Why would I buy the Yamaha Kaburaya for 17k when I can get the Suzuki mirage for 12k while it has better stats?
As I said, I only just read it, so if I missed something forgive me.
>>
>>46287312
You should google for "rigger 5 errata". No, it didn't come out yet. But it will remind you about traditional CGL quality.
>>
>>46287239
Not my intent, no, though once you've started dabbling in Hermetic magic, you probably aren't, no, what with worshipping a false god (Hermes Trimegistus) and all.

>>46287271
>So new age make believe entirely unfounded in any kind of trappings.
No. Firmly planted in the Bible. Here's a link to the Statement of Faith of my denomination:
http://www.vineyard.org.au/_literature_149250/Statement_of_Faith

Note that there's 166 Biblical references in a five-page document. This isn't wishy-washy New Age stuff, here.
>>
>>46287380
>Hermes Trimegistus

Hermetic Magic, despite the name, doesn't worship any gods. It's a scientific and reasoned study of magic.
>>
>>46287380
>hermetic
>worshiping anything
nigga what
next you are going say that scientists worship newton or what?
>>
>>46287409
>>46287425
Dude, do you even know where the name "Hermetic" comes from? The word "Hermes", as in "Hermes Trimegistus". The Hermetics were originally a Mystery Cult dedicated to his worship, and since he was a god of knowledge and magic, they worshipped him through study.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes_Trismegistus
>>
>>46287469

Yes? Hermetic Magic has nothing to do with that.

Much like a lot of Charismatic Christians have no charisma.
>>
File: 20 aeons in mspaint.png (49 KB, 373x369) Image search: [Google]
20 aeons in mspaint.png
49 KB, 373x369
>>46287469
>>
>>46287538
>>46287488
Hermes Trimegistus is a hybrid of the Greek god Hermes and the Egyptian god Thoth. Both of them were gods of magic, knowledge, and writing, and both of them were psychopomps. Now, Hermeticism, as a philosophy, is based on a series of forty-two books that they wrote, collectively called the Hermetica.

Now, how do they scientifically study magic? They read the Hermetica, and put its rituals and theories into practice, in order to refine their spiritual nature in accordance with its proscriptions. So, if the Hermetica was written by a pagan god, then that makes following the practices contained within it paganism and idolatry.

Do you understand what I am saying? They might approach said spiritual practices scientifically, but the nature of what they're working with is anything but scientific.
>>
>>46287656

Except Hermetic mages don't have anything to do with the Hermetica. The name is chosen due to the overlap in 'Study' and the fact that the word hermetic means 'Occult'. Not due to them literally following the Hermetica.

Or do you also think that anything Hermetically Sealed is Idolotry? As it's literally got the same source.
>>
>>46287656
that might be cool and all but this is shadowrun
and in shadowrun all the shit you wrote is absolute bullcrap

hermetic mages are magic scientists. They use the scientific method to find out rules about magic and get a better understanding of it. They don't follow some ancient book by Hermes Trimegistus. The only connection between them is the name
>>
>>46287656
I get what you're trying to say, you're just wrong.
>>
>>46287701
>Except Hermetic mages don't have anything to do with the Hermetica.

LOLwut. Do you know anything about the occult IRL, bro? Hermetics still exist, and they follow the Hermetica. In Shadowrun, those Hermetic groups wound up forming the core of what became the corporate Hermetic magical tradition. What's more, when the Shadowrun books detail what the Hermetics actually believe, and the principles behind their magic? It's pretty much exactly what Hermetics believe IRL.

>Or do you also think that anything Hermetically Sealed is Idolotry? As it's literally got the same source.
The Hermetics were involved in Alchemy, back when it was a spiritual endeavour as much a physical one, before Chemistry really took off. They invented the Hermetic seal, which they naturally named after themselves. Using one is only idolatry if you're using it as a part of those spiritual practices.
>>
so uh, i started my campaign with food fight since its my first time GMing and its everyone in the groups first time playing SR. anyone have their players instantly think about drugging, kidnapping, and selling the gangers organs? cause thats what i had happen on friday.
>>
>>46287781
>IRL
nigga what
>In Shadowrun, those Hermetic groups wound up forming the core of what became the corporate Hermetic magical tradition
really? because I can't remember any book saying that. Could you give me a source for that? For the other shit you wrote as well?
>>
>>46287783
> anyone have their players instantly think about drugging, kidnapping, and selling the gangers organs? cause thats what i had happen on friday.

Well, I guess it's time to introduce them to Tamamous! Either as their customer, or as a crime syndicate that's pissed off about people horning in on their territory.
>>
>>46287781
Real world occult practices are irrelevant in Shadowrun, the name of the Hermetic tradition is all that Hermeticism in Shadowrun has in common with real-world Hermeticism.

If you want to claim otherwise, show us a damn book excerpt.

All that Shadowrun Hermetics believe about their Magic is that it can be treated like a scientific study.
Calculations, measurements, experimentation, observation and the application of the scientific progress.

Anything else? 100% up to the practioner themselves.

>>46287783
It's a lucrative business.
Tanamous is always looking for fresh meat, and Gangers are fucking scum who nobody important will miss.
>>
>>46287822
>>46287854
im pretty incompetent at tracking rules but im more focusing on trying to make everything fun. this actually opens up this path for them when i was reluctant initially due to not know what to do. this sounds perfect, actually. where can i find more info about them?
>>
>>46287869
I... Don't remember.
Vice? The 4e book about crime?
Sounds about right.

All I can really remember about it is that it taught me Chaos Engine are a bunch of malware-using cuntbags, and that using skin-absorbing drugs for fake-magic-healing-sation handjobs are a thing, and people to to MASSIVE extents to erase all evidence of their passing from stolen vehicles when a mere Incinerate spell followed by a purge of all astral signatures usually worked well enough for me.
>>
>>46287896
vice mentions tanamous once and its in the description for the pied piper, which conveniently helps me for another idea, but nothing in detail.
>>
>>46287954
>>46287896
Underworld sourcebook.
>>
>>46287999
i think that pdf is broken. it errors when trying to open it.
>>
>>46287854
>nigga what
Ever heard of Aleister Crowley, or the Order of the Golden Dawn?

>really? because I can't remember any book saying that. Could you give me a source for that?
"Hermetic magic was studied widely even before the Awakening. The reasoned, intellectual nature of thaumaturgy appealed to corporate and government interests, who fostered hermetic magic even as society at large retained its skepticism." - Shadowrun 4e core rulebook, p. 170.

As for what they believe in, I can't find a page reference for that, but I distinctly remember a passage in one of the in-character segments when they were talking about that and someone says something to the effect of "Even if they study magic scientifically, what they're studying isn't very scientific." They were talking about things like the Principles of Contagion and Sympathy, IIRC, and the fact that be believe that magic is worked through force of will is also something that Hermetics believe IRL.

>>46287806
>Real world occult practices are irrelevant in Shadowrun,
No, they're not. Shadowrun just says that they're all mechanically equal, not that their beliefs don't have an effect on how their powers manifest.

>the name of the Hermetic tradition is all that Hermeticism in Shadowrun has in common with real-world Hermeticism.
And, you know, the fact that they're said to descend for pre-Awakening (read: IRL) magical organizations, and the fact that they believe in many of the same things...

>All that Shadowrun Hermetics believe about their Magic is that it can be treated like a scientific study.
And in the Principles of Contagion and Sympathy, that "As above, so below", that symbols have power, that magic is worked through force of will, alchemy in general, et cetera. Frankly, the only thing that Shadowrun Hermetics are lacking is the (often homosexual) sexual rituals.
>>
>>46288084
>and the fact that they believe in many of the same things
again, can you show us where they tell us that. Because you never gave a source where it said, that the hermeticism they talk about is the RL hermeticism
>>
>>46288042
looking at the table of contents it doesnt look like its a big section. if anyone who sees this post could and wouldnt mind screenshotting the section and posting it. that would work for me.
>>
>>46288210
I just quoted the corebook saying that they had continuity, from the IRL pre-Awakening organizations to the post-Awakening organizations.

Also, have a wiki page. http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Hermetic_Magic
>>
I want to play the game but I'm also the GM. Is there a way I can make this work?

I'm thinking about making a really dumb character that can't communicate. That way he won't interfere with the role playing.
>>
>>46288269
yes but again you just said that there were organizations before the awakening that researched magic NOT that those organizations were exactly the IRL Hermetics nor that the hermetics did descend from those in the way you said

also the wiki points out that there are dozens of sub-traditions in hermeticism. I think it's not hard to imagine a hermetic that hasn't even a bit of knowledge about Hermes nor his book but is full hermetic mage
>>
>>46288333
>yes but again you just said that there were organizations before the awakening that researched magic
Yes. That's what the Hermetics do IRL. God of Magic and Knowledge. How do you *think* they'd worship him? Building a giant throne of skulls?

>NOT that those organizations were exactly the IRL Hermetics
Other than the stated changes in the timeline (i.e. court cases that lead to the megacorps, the Awakening, Immortal Elves that didn't seem to have changed anything between the end of the Fourth World and the beginning of the Sixth, et cetera), it's safe to assume that Shadowrun's timeline is the same as ours. Their Hermetics were the same as our Hermetics, up until the Awakening happened.

>nor that the hermetics did descend from those in the way you said
What? It's explicitly stated! Shadowrun 4e core rulebook, p. 170. Once the Indians set off the volcanos, people went, "Hey, maybe there's something to this magic stuff", and Hermeticism became popular.
>>
>>46288435
You wrote:
>They read the Hermetica, and put its rituals and theories into practice, in order to refine their spiritual nature in accordance with its proscriptions
where does it say that?
>>
>>46288295
Generally playing in your own game is a no-go, you've got knowledge the players don't and no matter how hard you try that will influence how you do things. This should only be done if the party is missing a huge role (for example, a decker) and even then they shouldn't be a main focus of much.
>a really dumb character that can't communicate
An even worse idea.
>>
>>46288523
>An even worse idea.
how so?
>>
>>46288557
What's the point of playing a character in a roleplaying game if you can't even roleplay?
>>
>>46288503
Because that's what Hermeticists *do*? I mean, why do you think they're doing their rituals? Purely for material wealth and power? The magic's a means to an end, namely that of becoming more like the divine (Hermes Trimegistus).
>>
>>46288581
just for the combat basically
>>
>>46288604
Then make your own combat scenarios and run them?
>>
>>46288598
>becoming more like the divine (Hermes Trimegistus)
again where does it say that? Hermetics just want to gain a better understanding of magic. I can't recall it saying that they want to be closer to hermes.

I mean, I can totally understand your viewpoint but hermetic mages in SR aren't what hermetics are in RL. Of course you can say they are like that if you are GM, but it isn't canon so you can't say that the others are wrong because their hermetics don't give a flying crap about Hermes or his books or something. And the Corps also don't give a shit about him because they don't care what you do as long as it increases their profit.
>>
Hey /srg/! What's in your bolthole(s)?
>>
>>46288684
You know, except for all of the ways that they are. I'm sorry, I know you're attached to "muh scientistist magicians", but they're a very spiritual philosophy.

You know, just like the Voodoo Houngans are the same in Shadowrun as IRL. And the Shinto priests. And basically every other faith group. Why are you so fixated on the Hermetics being the only one that's different?
>>
File: 1442262650550.jpg (160 KB, 723x983) Image search: [Google]
1442262650550.jpg
160 KB, 723x983
religion is a bunch of stories.

how about we talk about something more real, like shadowrun?
>>
>>46288913

Man, a smart phone does all of the things listed here, doesn't it?

Except for the briefcase full of actual tools and the laser pointer, I guess.
>>
>>46288956
>Stun Gun
bro, you gotta tell me what app you use
>>
>>46288688
Enough AK-97s and ammo to fuel a sustained gang war, with 100 grenades, no explosives, all gas. Half of those grenades are Seven 7. Each house has five armored jackets with chem protection, gas masks and filters, and antidote slap patches, plus medkits and toolkits and such.

I have four places like this. Shit has completely gotten out of hand. If my team fucks up and we get tracked down when we use one of these places we're all sort of caps-lock fucked. On the plus side I can turn this game from mirrorshades criminal operators to Iraq-Iran War tier levels of chemical warfare at the drop of a dime.
>>
File: Sheeeeeit.png (216 KB, 508x383) Image search: [Google]
Sheeeeeit.png
216 KB, 508x383
>>46289119
>Enough AK-97s and ammo to fuel a sustained gang war, with 100 grenades, no explosives, all gas. Half of those grenades are Seven 7. Each house has five armored jackets with chem protection, gas masks and filters, and antidote slap patches, plus medkits and toolkits and such.
>>
>>46288870
as I read through the wiki again I noticed something:
Your hermeticism is one of the subtraditions of hermetic mages. HOWEVER it is apparently becoming rarer. The modern hermeticism is the one I am talking about and the one that's the most common

So I have to admit that your hermeticism really exists in SR. This I totally give to you. HOWEVER: the hermeticism I was talking about also exists and is far more common than yours
>>
>>46289119
>>46289157
Pick of a Fed-Boeing Kull (the one with the two supply drop crates on the wings) and fill them with Seven-7/Not-Sarin gas
For when you really need to kill a whole city block.
>>
File: channel hatred.jpg (22 KB, 217x269) Image search: [Google]
channel hatred.jpg
22 KB, 217x269
>>46289119
>mfw our elf shaman has enough dragon dildos to fuel a sustaimed gang war
That's not what I expected from a bolthole.
>>
File: adept centering.png (78 KB, 314x170) Image search: [Google]
adept centering.png
78 KB, 314x170
does centering turn on and off with a free action or do i need to keep spamming free actions every turn i want to center myself?
>>
>>46289180
or you could use that smoke machine drone, filled with gas
>>
>>46289498
You need to keep spamming it. See the sniper praying to the Lord in the beach scene from Saving Private Ryan? That's a good example of adept centering.
>>
>>46289602
>See the sniper praying to the Lord in the beach scene from Saving Private Ryan?
that's a great way to explain it; thanks anon.
>>
>>46289602
Would Jackie Chan trying to feed a crying baby while fighting goons count?
>>
>>46289157
You never know when you're gonna need it.

>>46289180
I was debating on doing something similar as one of our plans. We were going to clear out this one hangout for reasons, so what I was going to do was send these mercs donuts. But instead of donuts it was Seven-7 gas grenades set to detonate when they open the box.

Scratched the idea because it would've been easier to just throw the gas grenades at them anyways... also it would be a waste of Seven-7. I'm stock piling this shit for when I just absolutely positively need to commit a terror attack or something. That's what I keep telling myself, because in all honesty I have no idea why I have so much Seven-7.
>>
>>46290886
>That's what I keep telling myself, because in all honesty I have no idea why I have so much Seven-7.
That sounds like one of my players who had some spare cash so he bought 200 high explosive grenades.
>>
>>46288688
Medical supplies and instant noodles.
>>
File: Screenshot_89.png (60 KB, 274x157) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_89.png
60 KB, 274x157
If you have a character take cyber enhancements to up their agility but their paraplegic, does their movement speed come from their base agility or total agility?
>>
>>46291725
Total.
>>
>>46291725
>Shadowrunning in a fucking wheelchair
What a concept
>>
How do I determine say, Manaball's, damage? It just says damage is physical but it doesn't tell me how much physical it does.
>>
>>46291820
APC is a perfectly capable paraplegic combat junkie streetsam orc, mind you.
>>
>>46291962
And apparently the defender does not get a free defense (REA+INT) and does not get to resist (BODY+AV)??
>>
>>46291988
What edition, chummer?
>>
>>46292017
>>
>>46291962
>>46291988
Manaball is a direct mana spell (the M for type) that deals physical damage (the P for damage).

As per page 283, the caster rolls Spellcasting + Magic [Force] against the target's Willpower (because its a mana spell). The damage is equal to the caster's net hits, unresisted.
>>
>>46292040
ok so they don't get a free defense either.

Is there a difference between adept and mystical adept besides the obvious stat difference?
>>
>>46292082
The differences are covered on page 69.

Mystic Adepts are really Mages that cannot project, have the option to buy power points at character creation, and have access to all the adept-specific stuff mages don't normally get (like qi foci and power points as an initiation bonus).

Note that the errata bumped the price of power points at chargen to 5 karma per point instead of 2 karma.
>>
>>46291820
I guess you could say he's.... Shadow-wheeling
>>
>>46292133
I see.

Then isn't Mystic Adept just better than Magician? Since Mystic Adept can use both Adept and Magician spells?

At character creation, both Mystic Adept and Magician get spells. So can a Mystic Adept use Lightning Bolt? Mystic Adept is confusing to me as far as the game rules are concerned. I get what they are flavor wise.
>>
>>46292269
thing is that you have to split your magic attribute
if you have 3 MAG you can use
>3 MAG for spells but no PP,
>2 MAG for spells and 1PP,
>1 MAG for spells and 2PP or
>0 MAG for spells and 3PP

also after creation it apparently is very hard to progress, so you start really strong but can't keep up with the others
>>
File: 1457899509933.png (296 KB, 497x259) Image search: [Google]
1457899509933.png
296 KB, 497x259
Looking for players for a shadowrun game. Everyone else is either no shows or flakes

>skype: fucking.fuck45
>gm's skype: spyros.kotteas

5e game. sundays on EST time at noon
>text as GM has thick accent
game is set in Seattle, paranormal animals are heavily involved along with tons of other side quests. currently finished a practice session to catch people up on the mechanics.

>we also have a google doc for down time RP for between sessions and solo stuff.
>we use skype for OOC/IC
>roll 20 for the rolls
>RP heavy
>>
>>46292420
What's a MAG?
>>
>>46292420
That is not true in 5e.
You have to buy the power points using 5 karma each up to your MAG. If you take priority A for Mystic Adept, you still have 6 starting MAG if you spend 30 Karma on PP.
>>
>>46292611
what is your definition of a flake
>>
>>46292625
>>46292625
>If you take priority A for Mystic Adept, you still have 6 starting MAG if you spend 30 Karma on PP.

Jesus fucking Christ. Now I'm more confused than I was before.

Thanks baby Jesus.
>>
>>46292611
Neat. So this is a text based campaign?
>>
>>46292612
MAGIC SON
>>
>>46292698
yup
>>
Question about the Matrix.

If my teammate's gun's being hacked. What can I do as a decker that can stop the opposing decker? Like, specifically what skills/actions I can do to stop a decker from hacking someone else's wireless shit?
>>
Hey /srg/, I have an important question:
Is there any way I can get my players to GM? I love this game so much, and it's so cool, but I wanna shoot bad guys in the face once in a while, and not always think up adventures (hello burnout my old friend). But my friends have literally no clue about the world.
If I try to "educate" them on anything in the game world I need to repeat it ten times for them to get anything. At least I got them to know that Aztechnology is big and bad...

Is there ANY chance I can get them to do GM without having them read the entire book? We tried the pre-written adventures once, but those were basically "Fuck you, the game" so nobody wants to try them again.

An help at all is appreciated.

Also a side note, how can I get them to keep meta-gaming to a minimum? I can't FORCE them to roleplay, but sentences like "I have 5 reaction, I can do this!" break the game for me.
>>
>>46292852
The opposing decker needs at least one mark on your gun. Remove the mark. Put his gun as a slave to your deck if it is good.
>>
>>46292852
Option A (easy way out): Send Message to your teammate and tell the moron to turn all wireless off immediately.

Option B: If your buddy trusts yo, use Erase Mark to remove the other hacker's Mark. (You can also hack your pal's gear yourself to do that if you want.)

Option C: find the motherfucker trying to hack your pal and brick his fragging deck.
>>
Is there an official answer to the question "can you initiate/submerge as a mage/technomancer during char creation if you have enough karma?"
>>
>>46292909
>Is there ANY chance I can get them to do GM without having them read the entire book?
no. sorry bro.

>Also a side note, how can I get them to keep meta-gaming to a minimum?
have you talked to them and told them how you feel? besides that i got nothing.
>>
>>46292956
no. it's up to the gm; i would argue that 1 level of initiation is almost necessary for mages so they can mask themselves.
>>
>>46292953
ok I see. But if I went with option B, then it will just me him placing a mark then me erasing the mark, and the he'll put the mark back on and so on...

So it'll just be a stalemate?
>>
>>46292965
Forreal? I mean I know the rules, I could help them out. How can this game be so impossible to play for starters? I won't be able to convince them to read the entire book =(
>>
>>46293033
>So it'll just be a stalemate?

Yes. Sometimes it's enough. Other times it's a temporary solution until you can implement A or C. (Or D, Street Samurai murders the shit out of the idiot trying to to mess with his gear in meatspace.)
>>
>>46293033
Yes. That being said, you should also use the time to make matrix perception checks, find the enemy decker, and engage in cyber-combat
>>
Does Noise being a thing make it impossible to be an off-site decker? I've always wanted to play a character like Oracle who runs stuff behind the scenes.
>>
Under Running Silent on page 235. It doesn't tell me what the advantages are. It says "makes it easier to avoid detection...", but it doesn't give me any numbers. Is it only to make others matrix perception tests harder?
>>
>>46293235
The real problem of the off-site decker is that he must go up against the target's Host and its ginormous dice pool whenever he tries anything. Noise (which can easily be reduced) is a n added complication but not really significant.
>>
File: 1442276623673.png (259 KB, 440x488) Image search: [Google]
1442276623673.png
259 KB, 440x488
>>46293126
>I won't be able to convince them to read the entire book =(
they'd need to be convinced to read the core rule book, run faster and chrome flesh. those are the 3 main books imo.
if there's deckers/mages/riggers involved, that's 3 more books they're need to read and digest (data trails/street grimorie/rigger 5.0)

gm's are born, not made.
>me, waiting for my "backup gm" to finish reading the rulebooks so i can play one of the six chars i have on the backburner
>>
>>46293285
Running silent turns any Matrix Perception test made to spot you into an opposed Computers+Int (DP) vs. LOG + Sleaze test rather than a simple one with a treshold of one net hit.

On top of that, the one doing the test must have reasons to doubt there's something running silent in the "vicinity".
>>
>>46293336
Exactly my problem. I have a fucking folder full with unplayed characters =(
>>
>>46293394
i don't feel like i'm going out on a limb when i say 100% of gm's have that same folder.
>>
>>46293376
I see. Also, on page 231 under "illegal actions" it says "some matrix actions are illegal...". But it doesn't say specifically which one?

It also says that any Attack action can come back and do matrix damage to you. Meaning that if I use brute force, and my target successfully defended with WILL+FIREWALL, that means that I will take matrix damage equals to the net hit. Which I think matrix damage = meatspace damage (Stun if coldsim; Physical if hotsim)??
>>
Why is 5e's AI rules so completely shit? Why do AI's not have an attack or sleaze characteristics without having to do bullshit like posses a cyberdeck?
>>
>>46293433
>But it doesn't say specifically which one?
All actions whose Limit is either Attack or Sleaze are illegal actions. Those with Data Processing or Firewall as Limit are not.

>Which I think matrix damage = meatspace damage
No. Matrix damage = damage to your deck, resisted by Device Rating + Firewall. You suffer from biofeedback equal to whatever your deck doesn't resist.

Example. You fail an Attack catastrophically, and whatever you were attacking gets 4 net hits on you. Your deck must now resist 4 matrix damage. If it resists only two, you take two biofeedback damage.

The only moment where both you and your deck must resist the full damage is when hit by a hacker/IC using active Biofeedback programs
>>
>>46293433
>But it doesn't say specifically which one?
All Sleaze and Attack actions are illegal.
>Which I think matrix damage = meatspace damage
Matrix damage = matrix damage. Your gear is damaged. You only suffer Stun/Physical damage if there's biofeedback involved or if you are dumped.
>>
Can you put IC on your deck?

Who/what can use IC?
>>
>>46294142
>Can you put IC on your deck?

Not in 5e. You can put programs that give your actions some of an IC's attributes though.

>Who/what can use IC?
In 5e, only Hosts can deploy IC.
>>
>>46294142
>>46294187
If you're an AI, you can put IC on your home device, which could be a cyberdeck
>>
>>46294187
But like, I'm the host of my own cyberdeck, isn't it?

Also, how can I have IC for my home computer then?
>>
>>46289066
I think there's actual phone cases that will do that. Almost the same thing
>>
File: iphone-5s-black-grid.png (42 KB, 163x301) Image search: [Google]
iphone-5s-black-grid.png
42 KB, 163x301
>>46294378
damn, it's a 1.3mA stun gun
http://www.yellowjacketcase.com/
>>
>>46291059
The best part about it though is that I've used the Seven-7 maybe twice. It's so expensive, but I'm an Adept and I don't really have anything else to purchase. I'm essentially our teams gun dude.

Is there a way to make your own chemical weapons? Maybe that way I can make like chlorine gas or something so that I have a smoke screen + chem weapon that is cheap but useful.
>>
>>46293305
There's not really noise when hacking into hosts, is there? I thought it was only physical devices, guns and commlinks and the like, since hosts aren't physically anywhere.
>>
File: exfiltration.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
exfiltration.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1414
Help, omae! I know 5e but have been invited to a 4e game. What's the main differences?!
>>
>>46292611
What kinda characters you lookin' for and what sorta campaign theme you planning on?
>>
>>46294932
No Limits.
>>
>>46294932
Limits aren't a thing, Initiative Passes are separate from high how your Initiative is, hacking instead of decking, and no CFD or whatever
>>
>>46294949
well, currently we got a ghoul street sam, a human decker, and an elf mage/face

>potential recruit is going about making a tool box mage

there are still options open.
>>
>>46294932
Limits aren't a thing, the matrix doesn't suck (as much), char creation is better and you can play a spirit
>>
So a character in my game took 6P from a ghoul, and looking at the disease rules he has to get 6 hits on a BOD+WIL test 10 times over 5 days (once every 12 hours)? So he's basically ghouled unless he burns edge?
>>
>>46295231
if he has less than 6 BOD+WIL? yup
no? he could (theoretically) make it
If he really wants to make sure he can burn it
>>
>>46295057
>the matrix doesn't suck (as much)
>I want my private sessions back mommy
>>
>>46295292
>>46295057

Both Editions have shitty matrix rules. The golden rule of Shadowrun is 'The matrix rules always suck'
>>
>>46295292
>>46295337
I just liked it was an extended test with user/security/admin accounts instead of a bullshit mark minigame.
>>
>>46295269
Getting six hits on six dice is a 1/729 chance
Doing that ten times in a row is a 1/4.2e28 chance
>>
>>46295397
as I said, with 6 dice it's theoretically (not practically) possible
with more dice it gets more likely
>>
Once a MAD scanner got 7 hits on 7 dice in my game
Needless to say security found the pistol.
>>
>>46295503
I hope it wasn't hid somewhere embarassing
>>
>>46295554
Please, my group is far too "okay I roll to X" to actually say where they are hiding things.
>>
What counts as a "Host"? Can my home computer be a host? Can my gun be a host?
>>
>>46293178
>engage in cybercombat
>not format and reboot
Fucking script-kiddies on my bbs
>>
Is there an action I need to do to enter to the Matrix?
>>
>>46296049
No, if you have at least a commlink you are always connected to the Matrix in AR mode.
>>
>>46295882
>>46296049
Dude, how about you read matrix section and then start asking questions?
>>
So I'm watching a video about a group of blokes playing shadowrun and there's this technomancer in the team that keeps bricking weapons. Why the fuck would anyone connect their weapon to the internet, can someone shed a light on that? To me it's like increasing the chances of a major fuck-up happening.

I mean I could barely understand it if it was just a connection between the user and the weapon, but to connect it to a global network? Why.
>>
>>46296125
apparently you get a dice pool bonus if you do
it's there so the decker has something to do in a firefight
>>
>>46296125
+2 dice to shooting with a smartlink.
Basically, DRM for everything and offline mode fucks you over.
>>
>>46296125
Because it provides a major benefit, and because Deckers are comparatively rare.

The actual justification for how that benefit arrives is utterly fucking stupid, but it is what it is, I guess.
>>
>>46296152
Bricking guns is an awful use of a deckers time.
Deckers are force multipliers that hack security drones, wireless grenades, cars, etc.
>>
>>46296123
the host section gives you examples of what can be hosts. But doesn't say exactly what can and cannot be hosts?

Also, the second question's answer is implied. Not explicitly said in the rules.
>>
>>46296152

I get that, but I can't understand the reasoning behind some organised gang connecting their weapons to a public network. Or anyone else for that matter.

>>46296175

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding something here, but isn't smartlink supposed to be a simple connection between the user and the weapon? I can see the attraction in an ammo counter or a way to change firemodes with a thought, but connecting the weapon to a network seems extremely counter-productive.

>>46296183

Could you shed a light on what this major benefit is supposed to be?
>>
>>46296261
the smartlink connected just to the user still increases the accuracy (limit) with the weapon. Having it connected to the matrix gives a di(c)e bonus.
Think of it as its connected to a server somewhere that is calculating and adjusting the shot, and the gun does not have the computational power to do it alone.
>>
>>46296261
Yes, but connecting it to the internet gives you weather, gps, locational data etc basically BECAUSE REASONS
Offline smartlinks give +2 accuracy
Online smartlinks give +2 dice to shooting and +2 accuracy
>>
>>46296315
>>46296326

So a public network gives computing power to guns to calculate external ballistics and adjust angles? You're right, that is utterly fucking stupid.

I personally wouldn't even consider it honestly, if techologically proficient people could see that I'm armed and potentially fuck with my weapon.
>>
>>46296261
>Online Smartlinks
Cloud-based ballistics computing, taking into account local humidity, temperature, etc.
Or some other similar nonsense.
>>
>>46296388
Slave it to a rating 6 commlink bam you're good.
No spider worth his salt will have individual guns anyway.
>>
>>46296540
Will hack*
>>
File: image.jpg (246 KB, 866x917) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246 KB, 866x917
Cyberguns: How much would they be able to turn if mounted in an obvious cybertorso and fully enclosed, like so? Having to rotate your torso to aim would blow. Even a fairly small action (machine pistol sized) would have to be more than a few inches long.

You could have them pop out, I realize, but that seems like a liability in close quarters.
>>
>>46293652
>Example. You fail an Attack catastrophically, and whatever you were attacking gets 4 net hits on you. Your deck must now resist 4 matrix damage. If it resists only two, you take two biofeedback damage.

I believe that's untrue? Wouldn't your deck suffer 2 Matrix damage? I don't think Matrix damage can become biofeedback damage.
>>
>>46296868
Not very far at all. You're probably better off putting them in somewhere else which can articulate, or just using them if you need a trump card in close-range, almost melee combat.

Nothing fucks up a cocky sword-Adept more than liberally dousing him with bullets from your nipples.
>>
>>46296388
change it to "a public network gives access to a server that gives computing power" and your not far off. That kind of method only really comes up when you also have a massive amount of input data that needs to be consolidated. The gun is not going to have that level of input.
>>
>>46297001
That's kinda what I was thinking. The guy would be ex-corrections, specializing in handling heavily cybered or adept inmates. Lots of grabby punchy, so locking a limb and unloading a burst of nonlethal ammo seems good.

>machine gun nips
Maybe I need to rethink this before a nickname sticks.
>>
>>46296868
That's why you also install cyberboobs.
>>
>>46295503
MAD scanners don't generally care how many hits they get. One and done is their rule. That said, they don't give much information, either - metal here, in this shape with visual output.
>>
>>46286801
You are wiafu isn't total shit, congratulations. She is a filthy weeb, but at least she has ambition and solid goals in life.
>>
>>46297367
I changed it so it's basically YO NIGFA METAL so the guards search people after, so you can still sneak stuff through if you're good enough.
>>
>>46297203
Not a single server. Every wireless device is set up to contribute processing power. 4e uses words like "ubiquitous ad hoc mesh network", and then explains what they mean by that. 5e changes the concept slightly, but doesn't go into much detail.

So rather than asking a specific computer for the best way to murderise that street scum, your smart link sends out various innocuous calculations to work on, asks for weather data, etc - from that you get to lower the wind environmental modifier one rank, use the dice and limit bonus from Take Aim, plus the standard 1 or 2 dice to attack.
>>
>>46295361
Pro tip: any edition with a matrix flow chart is running a mini game on the side.
>>
What are some good ways to compensate for a lack of a core team member?
The lack of a decker?
The lack of a mage?
What is the best role to compensate for a lack of one or both of these?
Any information would be valuable.
>>
>>46297625
N P C
P
C
>>
>>46297625
Riggers
>>
>>46297625
"Looking for decker, must have good sense of humor and supply own deck."
>>
>>46297625
Technomancer
>>
File: shutupandmoney.gif (581 KB, 364x212) Image search: [Google]
shutupandmoney.gif
581 KB, 364x212
So a player of mine pulled an eye out of a dragon while it was grappling with their helicopter and has managed to preserve it. What kind of price can he expect to sell it for supposing he doesn't draw unwanted attention?
>>
>>46297653
And can ride a scooter.
>>
>>46297952
Although it is an extreamly powerful magical reagent, and to the right buyer it could be quite valuable, Dragons have spent 60 years making unpleasant examples of the family and friends of talesmangers who deal in drakoform body parts, so finding a buyer will be extreamly hard.
>>
>>46297952
>Pulled out the eye of a dragon
He's already dead. Trying to sell it would probably just kill all his family members.
>>
>>46298034
>>46298042
But suppose the player asks me how much he can get, I need to name a number that is not too crazy, but enough to get him to try so that he draws that attention and we all have fun trying to cover his horrible, horrible mistake.

What's a good number for that?
>>
>>46298175
250,000?
That's including a reduction for no questions asked, and selling it quickly.

He's still fucked.
>>
>>46298175
is there anything besides money that the player covets?
>>
>>46297952
>>46298175
I strongly recommend you inform your player that "dealing with dragons" includes dealing with their body-parts.
>>
>>46298241
Mostly just 1 use of a Thor shot so he can finish it off.
>>
>>46284485

Just tell them it's street level and vet the characters.

That's really all you need to do - specialized characters can be world-class, but when you go for a more realistic spread, it evens out pretty well.
>>
>>46298337
The dragon burns edge, what you need is the help of a great dragon to negate the edge.
>>
>>46296125

Same reason why having your environmental suit connected to the awesome power of the cloud lets it work properly, among many other retarded bonuses.

Shitty design decisions.
>>
>>46298449
don't forget a silencer that tells you if anyone heard your gunshot
>>
is there a bigger douche spell than wreck (cyberdeck/rcc)?
>>
>>46298511
It uses geolocation and looks for tweets in your area tagged #shotsfired immediately after you pull the trigger, duh.
>>
>>46298427
>negate edge
Wait what? Dragons can do that?
Like, I know that they could do some crazy powerful things, but can they really negate burning edge?
>>
What's the best way to shitpost on the matrix?
>>
>>46298603
With sprites
>>
>>46298576
Not burning, only spending.
And it's only Great Dragons.
>>
>>46298576
Great Dragons, yes. In the fluff it's because dragons are partially outside reality as we know it, and perceive reality differently than other creatures. I think it's mentioned that Big D had a hobby where he met with people able to either perceive of conceptualise reality in different ways because of this.
>>
>>46298603
500 rating 1 agents on metalinks
>>
>>46298603
By not, there is no good shitposting.
>>
File: daf14159110a4dc2a75fb726133ccb27.png (554 KB, 1000x1145) Image search: [Google]
daf14159110a4dc2a75fb726133ccb27.png
554 KB, 1000x1145
>>46298603

Gratuitous Cybercatgirls.
>>
>>46298603
Poetry jams.
>>
What is the best way to ensure a "do not open" package gets opened mid run?
I sort of have the mid-run curveball stored in that package.
it's like 500 ghostbusters style captured ghosts
>>
>>46301249
Your wild-card player will open it anyways
>>
>>46301249
Just make it say 'do not open under any circumstances.' Also, make the package move slightly, as if something is banging on it from inside and trying to get out.
>>
>>46301249
Tell them to don't open it. Usually it's enough.
Sending someone to steal it from them may also helps. And weird labels on the box. And cracks. And broken lock.
>>
>>46301249
Have it make strange and worrying noises.
Maybe the sound of a person screaming.
>>
>>46301249
Someone forgot/didn't know how to fully secure it. It's not unlocked by any means, but the work's already half done for the PCs, should they decide to try their luck.
>>
>>46301303
No way in fuck I'd let anyone open that mess. No goddamn way.
>>
>>46301361
I am now imagining some cyberpunk doing a slowmo dive to prevent some dumb troll from opening a box
>>
>>46301332
>players have to disconnect the box from a system of pipes to steal it
>pipes were vital stabilizer fluids
>the box starts rattling and dissolving through its lock system over the course of the run
>players now on a time limit
>>
>>46301249

If all else fails, have the opposition shoot it open while attempting to prevent them from escaping with it.

One of those "If we can't have it, no one can" situations.
>>
Is there a better cover for using LARGE amounts of chems as standard weaponry than actually owning a medical clinic?
I am struggling and I can't think of a more airtight one.
>>
>>46301694

Being a chemical manufacturer?
>>
>>46293394
Gm checking in.
I too have such a folder
>>
Our play group is not playing with magic. Is there a way to get rid of Physical damage fast. Or do you have to heal naturally, always?
>>
>>46301944
first aid kit in combat, a good doctor for extended stays.
>>
>>46297952
>supposing he doesn't draw unwanted attention?
It's always going to draw unwanted attention. Drakes and dragons have spent the better part of the 2070s getting very serious about that shit, offing anyone involved in trading or using draconic reagents - even those who got out early.
>>
>>46298511
> select sound filters are fine
> miniature microphones with select sound filters are fine
> putting a low rated version of both on a silencer / suppressor causes people to lose their shit
>>
>>46301944
>>46301969
Could always have a mage contact do your healing, for a price of course
>>
>>46302035
None of that explains how the device detects if a shot was heard
The #shotsfired quip is the best explanation I've heard
>>
Does an internal router allow you to benefit from wireless gear that is immediately on your body WITHOUT revealing said gear to a decker?
>>
File: 181.gif (67 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
181.gif
67 KB, 300x100
>>46301895
>Started learning shadowrun months ago
>25 characters that will never get played because I know the most about the system so I have to GM it
>>
>>46302217
yes, thats the point. You can have your individual non-matrix stuff still function, like activating your grenades, but not benefiting from things like the smart gun wireless bonus.
>>
>>46302217

As I see it:

I think it allows you to get wireless bonuses, even if you have the wireless turned off. And if the wireless is off, it's not on the matrix at all.

But keep in mind shit like a smart link needs internet access in order to work properly
>>
>>46302248
I feel your pain anon, I may try to get a rotating GM arrangement going if I ever finish the current campaign arc.
>>
>>46298551
In 5e this seems to do jack shit in terms of actual damage to cyberdecks/rccs unless you're running a Witness my Hate direct damage mage. Decks/rccs would roll 15 dice to resist your Spellcasting roll.
>>
>>46288216
i made this request very early in the morning, going to request it one more time. anyone who has the 2e PDF underworld mind screenshotting the Tanamous section for me? everytime i attempt to download and open that PDF it errors up.
>>
>>46301780
perfect cover, but start up costs are super high compared with medicine.
>>
File: organlegging.png (854 KB, 1234x1080) Image search: [Google]
organlegging.png
854 KB, 1234x1080
>>46303084

I got you, omae.

Had the same problem with the pastebin Underworld Sourcebook, but I was able to dig up another copy. Not a great scan, but here it is.

Also, Hatefish, I've uploaded this pdf to the 2nd edition mediafire link. Might wanna replace the busted one.
>>
>>46303548
my mainest of main motherfuckers. theres always someone willing to help with these situations. many thanks, chummer.
>>
File: catgirlcomputer.gif (158 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
catgirlcomputer.gif
158 KB, 320x240
>>46303564

You're welcome!

What else can I say? I've got a specialization in Matrix Search and the Data Liberator Quality. It's what I do.
>>
>>46303654
would you know of any other info i might be able to use with the context of players kidnapping the gangers from food fight? one of my players instantly pointed out organlegging is a thing when the gangers came into play. only thing i got when i brought it up earlier yesterday morning was Tanamous. they wanted organlegging, so i want to give it to them.
>>
File: organlegging2.png (286 KB, 842x1080) Image search: [Google]
organlegging2.png
286 KB, 842x1080
>>46303685

Whoops, I forgot this page in my earlier post.

It's important, because it reveals that Tamanous is a bunch of ghouls who forcibly impregnate captive women to get valuable fetal tissue.

Pretty dark overall.
>>
File: 1336679480623.jpg (23 KB, 474x355) Image search: [Google]
1336679480623.jpg
23 KB, 474x355
>>46303744
as a fan of death metal and someone who wanted to implement death metal in some way, you've just given me my campaign. you are literally the best right now.
>>
File: awshucks.gif (490 KB, 380x230) Image search: [Google]
awshucks.gif
490 KB, 380x230
>>46303830
>>
What are some overarcing campaign plots you've had?
I can come up with runs, but I need some inspiration for an actual storyline.
>>
>>46304091
Long story long.
>Toxic Shaman causes an all-out gang war in Sydney
>Thousands die and the Manastorms go crazy
>He is defeated by the players (for mundo cash) and the day is saved
>Players start getting into Outback exploration Runs
>Make contact with the Children of the Rainbow Serpent
>Magical terrorist attacks are performed in major cities
>These all included surprise Manastorm activity
>Players are hired by Wuxing to find out how the murderer is directing the storms
>Players uncover a Toxic Koradji group with its roots deep in the Children of the Rainbow Serpent
>This group knows the secret Koradji techniques for Song Line manipulation
>They're trying to perform a massive blood rite in order to summon gigantic (Force 18+) storms in the middle of all Australian cities in order to kill the invaders who occupied and ravaged their country and killed their peoples who they needed to maintain the Song Lines
>They perform this ritual deep in the outback, at a nexus of the now ravaged Song Line network
>Turns out that the storms aren't just a murder tool, they're a harvesting tool
>The Koradji want to raise an Australian Dragon from its slumber
>Players would defeat them, but not before some moderate catastrophies in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne
>The ritual partially succeeds, and a Rainbow Serpent emerges from the Metaplanes, weak as shit, but probably with knowledge of how to fix the Song Lines
>Party are offered the choice to subdue it and hand it over to Wuxing for about a Billion Nuyen... Or help it save the country.

Probably not the kind of inspiration you were looking for.
There is the other plot, where the Bugs try and perform Chicago 2, Astral Boogaloo with Sydney, using the natural defence of the Mana Storm to stop people from fleeing, and people from entering, summoning the Insect Queen into the vacant body of the Great Dragon sleeping deep beneath the city.
>>
>>46304091
We were given a chance to prove our innocence to Lofwyr, who accused us of stealing from him (we obviously didn't). He said he would 'forgive our crimes' if we helped him secretly Aquire some magical artifact in a pirate ship at the bottom of the baltic sea.

Problem was, The Great Leviathan also wanted the artifact, but was being blocked from entering the baltic sea thanks to Saeder-Krupt's rather impressive navy blocking the straights near Denmark. Undeterred, TGL decided to hire his (her?) own runner team(s).

To make a long story short, we had to do favours for the Russian mob in return for a magically-warded submarine they had stolen and that we needed. These favours involved...
>diffusing a Chechnyan bomb before it killed the Russian president (and without the world knowing that the Chechnyans were even trying to kill the assasination in the first place)
>inciting 3 simultaneous prison riots at the exact time at 3 different siberian prissons
>stealing an 800 year old bottle of vodka for a mob-boss' dinner-party
>much more

The campaign ended with the recovery of the artifact, fending off a shadowrunner boarding party in our submarine, freaking the fuck out when the artifact we recovered opened up and released shedim, killing the shedim-possessed corpses of the shadowrunners we had just killed, and learning that Lofwyr didn't need the artifact; he just wanted to fuck over TGL, and he never really suspected us of stealing from him.
We were obviously pretty pissed at that last part, but the unexpected payment of 1,000,000 nuyen and the offer of jobs at Saeder-Krupt (with 6-figure sallaries) did a lot to ease our tempers.
It was only once we accepted that we realized that high-paying jobs like that meant doing more crazy adventures for Lofwyr's mad schemes.
>>
>>46304522
>Cutting a deal with a dragon
Literally off yourself, chummer.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.