[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critical Fumble
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: bad idea.jpg (100 KB, 358x464) Image search: [Google]
bad idea.jpg
100 KB, 358x464
Alright guys, we've all had it happen. Toss out your stories.

Naturally I'm greentexting mine in.

Pathfinder
>Got 3rd watch
>Roll good on perception
>Wake up ranger for second opinion
>Army of about 100 seems to be coming up towards our camp
>Ranger says "Time to strike camp and GTFO"
>Wake everyone
>Get all our things packed up and start heading
>get pushed onto another pathway
>Pathway has lots of dangerous things, hence why it is the road less traveled
>We all decide to ride the night through til we hit the edge of the range
>Ranger says we need to make a riding order.
>Other people roll well, Rogue rolls nat 20
>I roll a 3.
>3.
>Have -2 on paper for riding.
>GM laughs.
FUCK ME
>"Failing to ride your mount, you have now not only fallen off it, you failed to hit the ground on your way down. The world has split open underneath you and swallowed you whole. Roll a new character."
>>
>>46277422

Probably shit that never happened. Probably b8. But if it were real then that is terrible GMing.
>>
>>46277555
We're on /tg/, when has it ever mattered if the story was true?
>>
If this is bait it's pretty bad. The worst I would do for that guy I don't like is combonation of a 1d6 fall damage, can't see because dark, caught in a tree, and party is 120-240 feet away- enjoy the return to the party.
>>
>>46277584

Since the beginning. It's only shitposters and b8ers who think otherwise.

But for the sake of argument, let's say it doesn't matter, and that the thrill of the narrative rollercoaster is all we're here for. Well if so then OP fails hard, since his story just rambles on pointlessly up until we reach a single failed roll followed by a lolsorandumb.
>>
>>46277422
That's not even a Critfail roll. You don't take modifiers into account, it's only on a roll of 1.
>>
Don't use crit fails, normally. I DO alter projectile attacks based on the roll, but it's just to keep the archer from firing into the crowd.
>>
OP here
Nah, not really a bad GM, trust me. I've played with some pretty shit-tier GMs.
This game was started as a shits and giggles sort of thing.
The rambling is indeed rambling. I'll control from now on.

Back to GM stuff, though.
GMs played with that I hate:
>"I'm always against the players" mentality
>Furry loving GM who always tries to get your character seduced by some kind of fox girl
>Self-righteous GM who doesn't allow any sex in his game because it's against his personal views, so obviously everyone else must cater to his views.

Current GM is actually a huge improvement for me because here in NC there's a small crowd, if any, to play with.
I know he's not the greatest GM in the world, but he's better than anything else I've found and I'll admit, we end up with more laughs at the table with this guy. He's a safe place to stay til we find something better.

I guess I'd like to ask for Good GM tips considering I'm currently realizing I have only one frame of reference since the best GM I ever had moved to Florida.
>>
>>46277555
>Probably shit that never happened

I dunno. This seems like the sort of thing my DM would say as a joke, but wouldn't actually make it happen IC. It's implausible, but I could see a sufficiently lolrandum group doing it for a oneshot.
>>
>>46279161
>tries to get your character seduced by some kind of fox girl

I have never gotten into a group that had any magical realms, ERP, or waifus forcibly thrown on me or anyone else. Similarly I've never had /v/irgins suddenly try to ERP with me after I add them on Steam. I wonder how it keeps happening to anons.

I secretly want some of it to happen to me.
>>
>>46279161
>>Self-righteous GM who doesn't allow any sex in his game
Oh no I can't force the group into terrible ERP, what a bad referee.
>>
>>46283011
Trust me, it's actually not fun. I usually turn those games into massive cock-blocking sessions or I just ditch and don't come back until they start a new game.

Aside from that, having your character having to check for will save against seduction rolls is really annoying when it gets in the way of every conversation you have while trying to get your next quest.
>>
>>46284557
Having a player rules lawyer with the GM and the GM doesn't know the term "GM's Fiat" gets old fast.
Especially when your GM is only denying whoever it is whatever action they want based on his personal views.
When sitting in a pub/tavern/bar/whatever-the-fuck-you-want-it-to-be and there is no alcohol, only milk, you must ask, "Are we playing a Legend of Zelda campaign?"
>>
>>46283011
You have to understand that the people who have the mental deficiency to think to unironically initate that sort of thing in a group of friends is 1) going to do it poorly and 2) is going to be a real ugly son-of-a-bitch, a definite 'neckbeard'.

>>46284614
You only mentioned sex, dipstick, I get it.
>>
>>46279161

>"I'm always against the players" mentality
I've never understood the players vs gm mentality. Mainly because I can't help but see that the GM shouldn't be able to lose if they are actually trying to kill the players. The GM can always throw whatever he likes at the players. The closest the GM can get to losing is failing to kill the players with one attempt. But the GM can always pull the 'I win' move of putting the party against two copies of themselves.

>Furry loving GM who always tries to get your character seduced by some kind of fox girl
Furries don't worry me. But I can see how the constant seduction would get annoying really quickly. But, if the rest of his GMing was decent, I'd probably respond by trying to get the seduction over with as quickly as possible. Maybe even try to have it happen in the backstory to reduce how much time the GM can talk about it during play.

Though I would be pushing for the sex to happen during a "fade to black".

>Self-righteous GM who doesn't allow any sex in his game because it's against his personal views, so obviously everyone else must cater to his views.

Some people are just uncomfortable about having certain things in an RPG. If it's easy to avoid mentioning them during play, then I consider it polite to do so. Though if removing one element does harm how much you enjoy the game, quitting the game is also polite.

Sex is something that's easy to simply not mention in a game.

>>46284614
>When sitting in a pub/tavern/bar/whatever-the-fuck-you-want-it-to-be and there is no alcohol, only milk, you must ask, "Are we playing a Legend of Zelda campaign?"

Yes, that would be annoying. If it were me, one of two things would happen:
- My character would drink something from the bar, without going into detail about what it is.
- If the GM wants me to select a specific thing to drink then, between sessions, I'd ask the GM about why there is no alcohol. I would force the GM into making it a plot point.
>>
I'll post a story. It did happen. It was pretty silly, but in line with the entire campaign.

>Social-traditional rules of 20 = success and 1 = you probably suck dick as a profession
>Mr. 20 proceeds to roll 20s on just about everything that matters.
>Narrative begins to bend around character's existence and will.
>Party encounters "unsolvable puzzle"
>As in: one character gets it; and the others refuse to play along.
>Stongk character decides to smash a hole around barrier.
>Mr. 20 proposes a bet.
>I'm going to convince the barrier that it is instead non-existent.
>DM: okay, well if you roll a 1 instead, you convince yourself that you are non-existent.
>This bet becomes more interesting than solving the puzzle.
>Begin breathless awaiting of one or the other's existential crisis and deletion.
>Strongk character wins and dungeon collapses on players.

Fuckin' players man. Good times tho.
>>
>playing wizard
>making swim checks to escape water trap
>crit fail swim, start drowning
>crit fail three saves
>wizard dies as his body is used to birth a water elemental
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.