[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DnD General/Noob thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Hey /tg/

I used to be into Dnd, and trying to get back into it.
My friend told me to use 4.5e books but I Don't know which ones to get or where I can get them for cheap (or free, I have no money, so pdfs are welcome)
Also, if you have any good crash courses I'd appreciate that.
Also: general discussion.

Thanks.
>>
Bippity bump
>>
Don't play D&D, it's shit. What kind of game do you want?
>>
go to the 5eg thread.
>>
>>46276227
D&D editions, the short version.

2e and older are all fairly similar (relatively speaking), and unless you play with a bunch of extra books you need to have the DM ad-lib rules and such for a lot of things.

3e, 3.5 (because "3rd edition revised" wasn't cool enough) and Pathfinder are all pretty much the same as each other. They allow for a lot of flexibility in character creation and leveling up, but have some pretty serious problems when you get to actually playing them. Overall they're a lot like Legos; fun to build, but that's most of it.

They can be fun, but you should probably know what you're doing and actively work toward everyone in the group being the same power level.

4e caught a lot of flak for not "feeling like D&D" because it's focused very heavily around balance and making it so that you can't accidentally nerf yourself like you could in 3e. I had a lot of fun playing it, though it felt to me more like a very complicated board game than a proper RPG (though that was partially due to the group I was playing with).

I haven't played 5e, but from what I've seen and heard of it they were shooting for something along the lines of a cleaned up, modernized version of classic D&D (2e and earlier) with some bits taken from newer editions.

Though, at the end of the day, it comes down to what this guy said >>46278382
>>
>>46276227
5E has the core rules (4 races, 4 classes, general rules and equipment, DM guide, simple monster list) all for free off their site. It's simple and flexible, a nice blend of the older editions in my opinion.

4E is still one you need to "buy" (or torrent). The system is really punishing for new players though without access to the web-based character builder which costs money to have. Being a DM though is super easy.

3/3.5/Pathfinder have extensive websites for their main rules, errata, expanded rules that aren't tied directly to a published setting. The systems though are very rules heavy and can either be broken (your character is useless) or broken (your character can slay that red dragon in one series of attacks).
>>
>>46279511
>The system is really punishing for new players though without access to the web-based character builder which costs money to have.
I found that simply flipping through the character creation section of the PHB (and restricting things to only the PHB and maybe one or two other books) had it be pretty simple to make an initial character.

The thing I had the most trouble with was all the vocabulary. What's the difference between a Burst and a Blast, and so on, though that wasn't too tough (I did write down the relevant stuff for each of my powers, which helped).
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.