[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to actually voice act characters/NPCs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE SERIOUS.jpg (151 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE SERIOUS.jpg
151 KB, 1920x1080
How do voice-anons do it? Were you able to do it naturally or did it take practice? If the latter, what can I do to not suck dick at it?

pic unrelated
>>
>>46267050
Change inflections, sentence structure, vocabulary, etc.
Don't try and make your voice gruff for a dwarf or shrill for a lady, you only end up looking retarded.
>>
>>46267050
Just keep practicing your impressions. I find a fun way to do it is watching comedians do impressions and then try to do impressions of their impressions.
>>
>>46267148
Don't listen to this boring, self-conscious faggot. As long as you do stupid voices with conviction, it will be more entertaining and fun than just speaking with the same voice and changing your voice slightly
>>
>>46267184
This meme again?
OK, OP, go full monty python when speaking as the princess. Just pray that nobody was taking it seriously.
>>
>>
>>46267239
>Hey man, this game of pretend we're playing right now is super serious, man!
>>
Accents are great and all, but keep in mind the NPCs emotions too. Make nervous characters stutter and pause and angry ones become aggressive and loud etc. A solemn priest might speak low, slow and deliberately, but a frantic mobster might speak quickly and stumble over his words.

Don't be afraid to use gestures and expressions too. A tough guy might cross his arms and furrow his brow, while an old hag might wrinkle her nose and give the stink eye.

My players seem to grow attached and remember characters that had their own defined ways of talking, so it seemed to work out.
>>
>>46267343
If you can't play a serious game, I can only hope you'll never get into horror.
>>
>>46267050
Learn from the master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_0etXWuTPM
>>
>>46267415
If you're good at doing accents/voices, you can play it serious. It just takes practice
>>
There are some talented people who can do the NPC voices at a whim, but for the lest talented practice is really the only way to catch up.

I for one practice delivering monologues in my car on the way to work. I found that latching onto a speech pattern, not necessarily accent, makes your characters more memorable. For example if you remember Drake and Josh from Nickelodeon, Josh had the habit of repeating words after his sentence for emphasis.

Another thing you can employ that the Animal Crossing series does is give characters catchphrases or mannerisms. Like a character who suffered a neck wound in the pass would always clear his throat when speaking or a character that calls people petnames. An example of the latter would be when I played a very flamboyant seamstress that called everyone "Dahling". My players got extremely attached to that seamstress.

On the other side of the argument, sometimes bad voices take away immersion more than it grabs players. For this reason, I do not do female voices. My voice is not that low but it's definitely not woman-like and if I do attempt to do a woman voice, people laugh more than they get immersed so I told my players that I would still do female NPC dialogue, but I won't do the voice. I still make sure to give the female NPC's a unique way of speaking as much as possible.

It would also help if for especially important NPC's to have a dialogue tree. This allows you to practice their lines and make sure they have the most well written dialogue and therefore the most memorable.

I also found that it helps if you straight up rip off some form of popular media. For example, when I run my Deathwatch campaign, the Techpriest in charge of the Deathwatch Armory speaks like the Merchant from Resident Evil 4.
>>
File: no hope.png (181 KB, 1920x386) Image search: [Google]
no hope.png
181 KB, 1920x386
>>46267050
anyone who does voices is a cringy autist retard
anyone who doesn't do voices is a self conscious tryhard who puts in minimal effort
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.