[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>want to introduce friend to tabletop RPGs >don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 1448244276243.jpg (13 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
1448244276243.jpg
13 KB, 500x259
>want to introduce friend to tabletop RPGs
>don't know any GMs
>haven't played tabletop in years

haha t-time to go spend a night memorizing rules and shit so I can do it
>>
Do what every other GM does Anon

bullshit it
>>
>have two ready friends ready and willing to play
>only one of them has played before, im kind of new
>neither wants to try GM
>i start planning it
>in a convo about it, they both end up saying that they would probably never want to be GM

am i doomed to be a forever GM if I don't get the right players?
>>
>>46267495
You kow the answer, anon.
>>
>>46267528
do i?
>>
>>46266508
>Wants to play tabletop RPG
>Gets the starter set
>Becomes the GM
>Introduces character creation to friends who want to play
>Some decide that they want to play, some don't
>We play
>It sucked
>Find new friends who like to play
>Repeat until it doesn't suck as much
>Keep learning and looking stuff up during process

There ya go
>>
>>46266508
If you're playing a system that takes all night to learn, you deserve to cry. Pick a better system ( FATE ACCELERATED, FATE is a lot to read overnight, even though the rules themselves take 3 minutes). Hell, pick a worse but lighter system so you aren't encumbered ( Dungeon World). Play an rpg like Fiasco, where there is no GM (or campaign play, or combat mechanics, I digress).

Or, you know, just leave your hand on the oven where you have it. No skin off my nose.
>>
>>46266508
Learn to GM, I have little to no social skills and the attention span of a rodent and I managed, if I can do it then it ain't that hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLQsP_F4AR0
>>
>>46266508
Are you literally me?
>>
>>46267495
I was in your boat anon, but after a solid year and a couple months my campaign is winding down to a finish and I have 2 players fighting over who gets to DM next. Just instill a love for the hobby in them and show them it's a fun hobby from both sides of the screen. They may say they never want to GM now, give it time, people change their minds.
>>
File: 1422758733477.jpg (20 KB, 259x310) Image search: [Google]
1422758733477.jpg
20 KB, 259x310
>>46266508
That's fine.
I recommend watching videos of actual in-game footage of a group who know how to have fun with the game of your choice.
I got most of my experience through playing games, so by proxy you must learn through "attending" a game to see how it actually runs.

>>46268904
A couple people that haven't played TTRPGs before did much better with Fate games than my much more game-experienced friends. Shows how different it is but proves itself in flexibility.
>>
>>46266792
This
>>
I am...very confused, /tg/.

I am playing a game right now and I just feel so bored. I am legitimately not enjoying it. I haven't enjoyed playing the game...fuck I don't remember - I don't think I ever have.

GMing, on the other hand, provides constant creative challenge, needs one to think fast and is so much entertainment. I don't know why people are so scared of gming when it is so fun?
>>
File: 1449424838414.png (159 KB, 500x1206) Image search: [Google]
1449424838414.png
159 KB, 500x1206
>>46266508
>memorising rules
Fuck that, I make sure my groups always have at least one player that did that for me and just let him do it.
>>
>>46273020
People will rip on the GM when things don't go well, solidifying the sometimes assumed Players vs. GM scenario.
I enjoy playing if I get a good vector for roleplaying and am not crushed under MURDERDEATHKILL party pressure every 3 minutes.
>>
>>46273127
Better yet, be like me and make up the rules as you go along! HOMEBREWS!
>>
File: 1391910990086-2.png (660 KB, 652x577) Image search: [Google]
1391910990086-2.png
660 KB, 652x577
>mfw playing through role-playing quest supplements alone

g-good game, you guys
>>
>>46267495
Eventually you reach the point where you don't even want to play. I've had my players try to GM and it was dreadful, I only trust myself and they seem happier to play.

>>46266792
This. When GMing you learn the best trick is to just go with it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.