[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to be more deadly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
I am now gm-ing a dark heresy campaign (6 sessions)
Before we started i warned players that this will be a wery hard campaign. A lot of deaths etc.

I tried, but in first five games no one even needed to burn a fatepoint. Everything went rather easily for them. And now they are complaining.

Last session heretics managed to throw a fucking building on players heads. Only one burned fatepoint. Yeah.

So, how can you be more deadly as a gm but still be fair? I am not a fan of «Rock falls everyone dies», so that is not a variant
>>
>>46220763
"You enter the corridor and you find a creature, made from molten magma and with death painted in its eyes staring right at you.

"Give me Will checks for Fear 4 and then you can fight the Charnel Daemon."
>>
>>46220802
This is completely fair
>>
>>46220763
Ambushes will sort it, overwatch and suppressive fire, pinning checks etc.
Just because you're playing 'fair' and the combat is an appropriate matchup, doesn't mean you have to fight clean.
>>
>>46220763
>Do your NPCs use cover to get those AP bonuses?
>Do they work together to keep the PCs pinned while the others wind up their aimed shots?
>Are you utilizing Autoguns to their full, horrifying effect or are you ignoring it in favour of seemingly better weapons?
>Are your NPCs using grenades if applicable, if they are, are they utilizing the full range or just Frag?
>>
>>46220802
>>46220830
>>46220840
These.

And look for more bullshit of this flavor to throw at your players. The reason being 'it's Dark Heresy, the bad guys are supposed to be REALLY fucking dangerous.'

Don't fish for TPKs, because that's no fun, but very expressly make it clear this is not meant to be a power fantasy for the players and ram it home.
>>
>>46220875
One of the tips this anon offers is more valuable than any other anon. And it's the third one.

When you see boltguns, plasma guns and needle rifles it's oh so tempting to dole up your NPCs with them. But then what happens? If they hit a PC and they fail their dodge there's a really high chance of the PC just outright dying. 100/80 to 0 just like that. It's not fun for players and it feels cheap.

The Autogun is a reliable weapon and I struggle to think of a situation outside of needing heavy weapons or a sniper rifle that I'd be outclassed in if I had a tooled up autogun.
>>
>>46220802
Sounds like ye old Catobeplas.

Wait no, that was instant death with no save. Oldschool D&D was dickish.
>>
>>46220875
Every time
They try. But flamethrower makes it hard
I guess i don't
Only frag and smoke ones
>>
>>46220915
>Every time
Good, keep it up, just remember to ensure that your NPCs never allow their position to be compromised if they have half a brain and a choice in the matter.
>They try. But flamethrower makes it hard
Flamethrower should be focused down, hard. Sounds pretty harsh to single out a PC like that, but it's the drawback of being the big scary guy with the big scary weapon, he's asking for aggro.
>I guess I don't
See: >>46220902
>Only Frag and Smoke
That's fine, you'd only really see more dangerous and exotic grenades with proper military forces.
>>
>>46220915
Fire grenades anon! They're like flamethrowers and they're cheap and easy to get, even gangers would have a few!
Choke Grenades are also really powerful.

If you want to be the worst person in the universe, use snare weapons. I absolutely hate snare weapons. I've had Plaguebearers, Daemons and Chaos Marines be bought low by Snare weapons. Some hick throws a net over a Daemon and it can't escape. It's like fucking scooby doo.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.