[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Arthurian epics are part of modern pop culture because of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1429283729038.jpg (392 KB, 1516x1236) Image search: [Google]
1429283729038.jpg
392 KB, 1516x1236
>Arthurian epics are part of modern pop culture because of a Romanticist revival in England
>There was no equivalent revival of Carolingian epics in France or Germany
How would the fantasy genre be different if there had been a Carolingian revival as well? Or maybe only a Carolingian revival instead of the Arthurian one?
>>
>>46217880
Read "Three Hearts and Three Lions" by Poul Anderson.
>>
File: 58651199[1].jpg (115 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
58651199[1].jpg
115 KB, 500x361
>>46217938
>The novel influenced the role-playing game, Dungeons & Dragons, especially the original alignment system, which grouped all characters and creatures into "Law" and "Chaos".
I didn't know that. Neat.
>>
>>46217976
Trolls, Paladins, and Law/Chaos alignment seem like a pretty diverse and palpable legacy for a book to leave.
>>
>>46217938
How is that Carolingian?
>>
>>46217880
Is this a joke?
Italians wrote an entire fanfiction on the character of Roland
>>
There is a French rpg about Charlemagne.
I learn about his existance when checking for games set in the Early or High Middle Ages. Sadly it was only in French and I did not find any scan, so I cannot tell more, but maybe some Frenchanon knows more.
>>
>>46218641
>Italians
See, You found the joke all by yourself
>>
>>46221092
The only joke here is you northen barbarian not having read The Rolando Furioso, like the semilitterate pikefodder you are.
However i must contradict >>46218641 : the period and the books he means are way too early for influencing modern fantasy, might as well talk about how the old dolce stilnovo influenced twilight. It would make no sense.
>>
>tfw no setting based on Germany after the Treaty of Westphalia
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.