[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good set of rules to play a space/starship RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: mmwmap6rd_zps743a1ee2.jpg (234 KB, 571x402) Image search: [Google]
mmwmap6rd_zps743a1ee2.jpg
234 KB, 571x402
What's a good set of rules to play a space/starship RPG in /tg/? Combat would probably be the most important part, maybe even vechiles at that. I've checked Edge of Empire but the dice really just confused me and Stars without Numbers seems far too brutal.
>>
>>46195320
SWN is also too oversimplified to even be useful for this kind of thing. Space combat is not something a rules-light system will be able to pull off because there's too many factors in play.
>>
>>46195335
>too many factors in play
Well I'm guessing you don't actually want to realistically simulate physics, so what parts of space combat DO you want to emphasise?

Diaspora has some cool stuff for information warfare and a nice abstraction for vector movement that doesn't actually involve plotting ships in 3D.

In case you do actually want to simulate space accurately there's Vector: Full Thrust or whatever but its a wargame. Add RP on top, I guess?
>>
>>46195320
Maybe run Savage Worlds with the Sci-Fi Companion? Back in the day I played Star Frontiers, which has a really cool setting, but the mechanics are kinda meh, in my opinion. Traveller is pretty much the gold standard of sci-fi, but it never really suited me. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>46195320
What do the players actually DO during a space fight?

Like...
- Everyone is a fighter pilot, protecting the fleet/mothership?
- Everyone is on the damage control crew, prioritizing what to fix?
- Everyone is a different station, yelling at the others to do shit?
>>
>>46195498
Well I would imagine they could:
- Get on board an enemy vessel
- Fire back with their own vehicle
- Or work on keeping their ship alive so they aren't stranded.
>>
>>46195530
>>46195498
Its kind of similar to the "what does the rest of the party do while hacker hacks" in Cyberpunk games.

Its up to the GM to make sure each PC has something to do. Proactive players help, of course.
>>
>>46195530
If you're going to have people in all those places at once, you want to use a system with really loose rules about positioning, like FATE's zones.

For the rest you just want to have HP/damage for the major pieces of your ship. You can't go into too much detail or the action will get spread too thin.

If you like FATE, you can model each ship as around 1 to 3 zones, declare that ship zones have wound tracks, and the rest falls into place pretty naturally. Someone needs to be standing in the weapons room without it being horribly broken if they're going to fire weapons. Scene tags like "On Fire" make damage control spicy enough.
>>
>>46195320
Just go play FTL heretic.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.