[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOMEBREW THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: 1455619210994.jpg (58 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1455619210994.jpg
58 KB, 722x349
You know what time it is /tg/? Homebrew time. Sum up your homebrew setting in 30 words or less and be sure to rate the homebrews of others
Galactic empire declares war on heaven and hell because reasons, 6 and 2/3 of the species in the empire break away, and the galaxy is thrown into an immense war
pic unrelated
>>
>>46167238
Feels hard to make it right, but damn it if I'm not a sucker for heaven vs hell scenarios/settings. You get a thumbs up/10

My homebrew; creatures of scandinavian folklore* live in a forest realm, and can no longer reach the world of humans

*not norse mythology, but including talking animals
>>
>>46167238
D&D but with only five stats and we make everything up as we go along
>>
>>46167238
pretty metal OP
>>46167739
intrigued/10, tell me more
>>
Very 80's merchandise themed cartoon. Heros transform into powerful animals like lions, rhinos, crocodiles, and big eagles. Villains are rip offs of Cobra, Soviets, or people polluting the environment.
>>
File: 18j2d5gr6hr0ojpg.jpg (41 KB, 800x458) Image search: [Google]
18j2d5gr6hr0ojpg.jpg
41 KB, 800x458
>>46167238
fantasy NotMedievalEurope.jpg but with Japan and mexico added in for flavour also there is a jungle island that is basicaly wizard vietnam
>>
>>46167238
A game where the players build a guild and send rubes on quests for glory and prophet. Larger skirmishes than typical TTRPGs, and less focus on roleplaying 1 individual character per player.

Combat is d6+combat stat vs armor, and you use group tactics to add more d6s to overcome armor. Failing to overcome armor results in counter attacks, ranged attacks are for support at long range and attacking other ranged players, and magic is very powerful but very expensive with gold = experience for the guild.

It needs a lot of work, but I might finish one day.
>>
You're trapped on Mars. You can make your way in the overcrowded city, the rough-and-tumble frontier or the total anarchy of the wilderness. Choose wisely.
>>
>>46168669
Hmm sounds ok is there much interplay between the 3 or are they very distant
>>
>>46167238
Greek myth meets Final Fantasy meets Forgotten Realms meets Legends of Percevan meets Fire Emblem meets Tolkien, except there are so many components it ends up becoming something different somehow.
>>
>>46168669
The majority of Mars has been so utterly terraformed with genetically-altered life and pervasive nanomachines that, while the atmosphere isn't breathable for humans, it is very alien and unexplored. Warring tribes struggle to survive here.

The less altered frontier areas have been settled by city-folk who struck out generations ago. With their own brand of harsh, vindictive justice, they make their livings farming, exploring and dungeoneering in the massive machine ruins across the planet, selling their goods to the cities. They suffer frequent barbarian raids, but slowly expand across Mars' surface.

The cities are overpopulated to the extreme, filled with crime and debauchery. They struggle to exert control over provincial territories as they learn more of Mars. After a devastating war between the four major powers of the planet resulted in damage to one of the colossal terraforming Towers that no one understands, things have settled into a tense cold war.

Also, no one can leave Mars but refugee shipments from Earth arrive regularly.

Mad Max
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly/Lonesome Dove/Tombstone
Blade Runner/Alien/1980s NYC
>>
>>46167238
Things become more powerful through adoration, so feels guy, pepe, bane, and more are great demi gods in my setting, with lesser memes being their minions.
>>
Modern-day Pest control, except instead of pests, they deal with kobolds, trolls, cockatrice's, and the occasional faerie.
>>
>>46169337
more info needed, tell me about the factions
>>
>>46169404
Is there any Ghostbusters inspiration? A Monsterbusters campaign could be really great.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (388 KB, 2541x2172) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
388 KB, 2541x2172
>>46169409
Well, the followers of Pepe for example are a barbaric tribe who worship in dark, wet dungeons. They charge into battle while raging and yelling the war cry of their deity REEEEE HUUUMIES. They perform dark magics on themselves that slowly turn them more frog like. Pepe himself I created a custom class for that combines monster attacks with his tongue, auras from his pure rage, and devastating attacks from his frog hammer. Not that the party has even met Pepe yet.
>>
>>46169481
It's basically Ghostbusters, yeah. I also expect players to do their homework to try and figure out how to disable the monster of the week, and I have them work on the logistics of spending money for monster-busting, so the team is constantly out of tools they need for certain pests, so they improvise on the job.

My favorite part of Ghostbusters was the gadgets, so I encourage players to be craftsy and try to construct homemade monsterbusting weapons that could conceivably work.

When one player developed a net that disables and kills pesky, agile fairies, and another submitted designs for a homemade flamethrower, I knew I made the right choice in setting.
>>
>>46169697
i like this a lot, got a spreadsheet?
>>
File: bane crew art.jpg (770 KB, 2550x3507) Image search: [Google]
bane crew art.jpg
770 KB, 2550x3507
>>46169409
Bane rules his followers with an iron fist, and they follow him with utter adoration. Every one of them is well versed in the ways of talking like their deity. They practice grappling and unarmed combat, and like to surprise their enemies. Bane's goal is similar to his from the comics, but now he has godlike powers at his disposal. He is currently having his followers construct a "mechanical flying device"

Btw most of these factions I have made so far rule like a priesthood, so with a rigid chain of command. The white knight faction is the exception, and while opposed to the more evil inclined memes, are a bit of a meme themselves. They usually end up saving a maiden but not letting her leave their parties, preferring instead to shower their nice guy affections on her. In one of the sessions I ran, the party had to defend one of the runaway girls from the white knights who convinced the party members had kidnapped her.

Yes its a clusterfug and no I am not proud of myself.
>>
>>46169657
>>46169928
i would play this
>>
>>46169732
Afraid not. For the most part, I just go along with what would make sense, with scant rules and a paranoia style approach to combat.

>"Alright, Jim, you've set up the perimeter and- OH MY GOD A TROLL RUNS OUT OF THE BUSHES WHAT DO YOU DO?"
>"What?!"
>"...Is what Jim says as he stands around stupidly, Bob, what do you do..?"
So on, so forth. Basically a simple combat system based loosely on DnD, with a timer.
>>
File: Bane class.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Bane class.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46170002
Here's the bane class also. And yeah its pretty fun. Another good session was the Halloween special. Plenty of dancing skeletons, spooky music, and an insane bard behind it all.
>>
>>46167238
Party dies and ends up in a trans-dimensional tavern where any closed opening opens a portal to a different world.
>>
You're a fantasy sword-n-board version of bugs sent from the kingdom to explore and find food. If you get too hungry, you go berserk. Berserk buffs fighter but you have to fight closest living thing and eat it. Game is about trying to recover as much food as you can without eating all your loot and friends.
>>
>>46168401
Sounds generic and uninteresting, but bonus points for "wizard vietnam". 4/10, would at least read the interesting bits.

>>46168969
This tells the reader absolutely nothing, and is less of a description than a vague, handwavy analysis. 0.5/10

>>46169337
>memens
0/10

>>46171404
Interesting. You lose points for describing the mechanics instead of the setting, and even then failing to discuss anything but one character class. Still, I like the premise and the straightforward motivation inbuilt. 8/10.

>>46168356
Would be interested in hearing more. 5.5/10

>>46167238
Heaven and hell in a sci-fi setting sounds interesting, but I have doubts about mixing religious conflicts and space opera in a tabletop game. 7/10 because it's not boring.

>>46168669
>>46169260
I like the sound of this. There's mystery and enough room in the setting for all sorts of games. 9.5/10
>>
>>46171840
>memens
>0/10
Sounds about right, and I am the DM
>>
>>46167238
The world fucks itself over through massive economic bust, a plague, a limited nuclear exchange, and a massive machine uprising.

Magic comes back because people do so much damage that the wellsprings of magic are re-opened across the world.

It's in Texas, and it's basically America and the Holy Roman Empire versus the Aztec Empire, with magic, demons, power armor, heavy artillery, and elephant charges.

God and the Devil are real, and the whole thing is a massive struggle between the two of them.

I realize this isn't 30 words, but its really the bare minimum I can do to explain this extremely complex setting I've been working on.
>>
>>46167238
Meritocratic imperium dead set on maximizing individual human potential, united under a super-state to create an collective god-head fights against traditionalists who believe in concepts like liberalism, individual freedom, and the superiority of nature.
>>
File: black guy meme.jpg (5 KB, 240x204) Image search: [Google]
black guy meme.jpg
5 KB, 240x204
>>46168401
>Mexico added in for flavour
mfw
>>
File: 1415655694791.jpg (102 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1415655694791.jpg
102 KB, 1200x800
WWIII happened in 1947, and now 43 retro-futurist years later you and your team of astronaut commandos are being launched on a nuclear rocketship into an unstable wormhole over the Bermuda Triangle so you can either sabotage Space Soviet bases or acquire alien artifacts to help break the interplanetary technological stalemate in ATO's favor.

In actuality you're just serving your Ancient Alien overlord by bringing his creations back to Earth to aid his reemergence so he can save the rest of the Orion Arm from rampaging infernal silicon lifeforms while twisting mentally and physically the human race to his ends, but better dead then red, am I right?
>>
Sci-Fi/Fantasy with Humans, AIs, and GELFs coexisting and fighting sentient undead. Lots of artifacts and legends, with music being the underpinnings of the universe
>>
>>46172949
Tell me about the Sentient Undead and their music.
>>
>>46172976

The Undead and their Music are both referred to as The Dirge. It is considered different and aberrant from the normal cosmic symphony. You must actively seek out it's beat to go down the road to becoming undead. While you do retain yourself, you generally take on somewhat alien habits and general contempt for life in the galaxy as the Symphony of the Spheres now sounds discordant to your ears. The universe itself attempts to reject you, leading to a decay of your body and the lands you inhabit. Your soul is retained, but you continue to decay as long as it stays tied to your body. This is why many of the Dirge attempt practice some form of magic, with the hope of attaining Lichdom (That is, binding one's soul to a phylactery) to halt the decaying process before they wither into a fragile skeleton.

That's what I've got for the most part on them. I've been working on the setting in fits and starts as bits of inspiration come to me.
>>
>>46172796
He wants a fuckoff huge wall in his setting but doesn't want chinks
>>
Really rough general idea but
Humanity learns FTL tech and terraforming/colonizing other planets but it takes a dickload of resources/time and communication through space is near impossible, so colonizing is set up in a way that allows the colonies to be completely self sufficient and then an interregnum happens
Colony world humans have evolved different ways in (relatively) short amounts of time and live in a difficult power struggle with their former fellow man, whether it be through war or political intrigue

Aesthetics of Dune, Technology like Halo, Starship Troopers, other Military Sci-fi
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 1000x1000
>>46172796
I do it all the time anon.
>>
>>46172600
I am interested in this. The god-head figure and imperium goverment reminds me of Dune and more settings need to take a page from that book
>>
>>46167238
Declining Interdimensional Roman Empire uses Crystal-Powered Flying Fortresses and Ancestral Artifacts to fight back Thunder Crustacean Collectivist invasions.

PLOT TWIST: It's not interdimensional, it's all in the same galaxy
SHITTIER PLOT TWIST: It's our galaxy
>>
>>46173565
Well, yeah. Of course the Romans would be in our galaxy
>>
>>46173603
It's not literally Rome.
>>
>>46173457
I actually didn't take it from Dune, but I can see where you're coming from.

Basically, the end-game of the Imperium is to create a super-network of its citizens; each human to the network as a neuron is to the human brain; a gestalt super-intelligence which, in their minds, will effectively be a "human god".
While they are inherently collectivism, individualism still plays a roll in controlled and defined competition between citizens.
The best way to describe its philosophy is "real nature and whatever gods do exist are absolute shit, so we're just going to make our own nature and our own God"; among other things, they're in favor of eventual trans and post humanism to the extent where they don't need nature at all beyond raw resources and energy.

The traditionalists understandably see this as a threat to humanity as a whole (while the imperials see themselves as humanity distilled to its purest essence), and consider the imperial quest to remove themselves from nature as a total war on everything that makes the traditionalists human.
>>
>>46173677
Again, I still like where you're going with this. Collective consciousness is one of the few under utilized subgenres of science fiction(assuming this homebrew is sci-fi?)
Keep at it lad
>>
>>46171840
I was tentative of making specific statements because I was in a hurry and you gave a 30 word limit, so I threw together the most generic answer I could think that fit.
Here's a more complete answer.

>This fantasy medieval world's current age is going to suffer an age-ending cataclysm in about sixteen years, brought on by the goddess of madness and chaos.
>Nearly every major faction knows about it, and this has caused political issues and power grabs by every faction to ensure their chosen group comes out ahead in the age to come.

I'll expand more if that's worth something.
>>
>>46172600
That sounds pretty nazi-ish actually
>>
>>46167238
Alternate history Europe where working mad science is a thing, also it's a wargame.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.