[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got finished watching "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: photo-original.jpg (790 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
photo-original.jpg
790 KB, 1536x1152
Just got finished watching "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising"

Did people actually like this, or am I missing out on some sort of joke?
>>
>>46129807
I liked it
>>
>>46129807
It was great.

People who don't like this movie take themselves too seriously.
>>
>>46129807
I liked it. It was funny.
>>
>>46129807
It's a tabletoper thang. You wouldn't understand as a non-tabletoper.
>>
>>46129807
KICKSTARTER
STAFF
PICK

The fucking autism. man. Jesus christ.
>>
>>46129807
So what is this movie about? Us gamers?
>>
>>46129807
>Did people actually like this
Yes.

>am I missing out on some sort of joke?
Maybe.
>>
>>46131636
A parody of 3.5 D&D, powergamers, etc. Some of the writing is sophomoric, and the acting is community theatre tier, but it is a genuinely decent RPG camp film, like Knights of Badassdom. Journey Quest is more of the same, and was made by the same production crew, if you find you like Gamers 2.
>>
>>46131636
Failed writer GM is way into one-true-way-ism, but his players all have badwrongfun and don't enjoy his terrible railroad adventures.
Thankfully, a Normal Girl comes along, minmaxes together a better character than the (incredibly ineffective) Rules Lawyer, and teaches them that just doing whatever the DM wants is the best way to play. And don't forget, bards suck.
If every opinion you've ever had about DnD was spoonfed you by the internet, and you've never actually been in a gaming group where people had something like a modicum of respect for each other, then yeah, it's funny.
At least the joke about the teenager's character just being his teacher doesn't completely fall flat.
>>
>>46132074
>a Normal Girl comes along

Lost all interest.

Thanks the movie backlog is big enough already.
>>
>>46132074
That sounds awful. Like that sounds completely awful. Why would people kickstart this?
>>
>>46132135
Because this is only some of the contents of the movie handpicked by anon to shape your opinion to be the same as his.
>>
>>46131636
Group continually fails to complete an adventure (same one, different characters). Rules Lawyer convinces them to try once more but only if they get more players, his former fling deciding to join. DM goes all gaga for the girl and panders (slightly) to her. Doesn't help she is actually interested in the story of the adventure and not just being a full-blown murderhobo. DM also self-inserts a Paladin and plays him like a white knight.

Teenager is playing a lolchaoticrandumb (read: Chaotic Evil) sorceress but keeps forgetting his character is a girl. Store owner decides to try being a Bard for the first time (and then makes 50+ copies of the same character since their characters always die). Girl tries to keep group moving forward story-wise, party keeps murderhoboing. They are advancing though and starting to get more and more into roleplay and less rollplay.

Yadda yadda, story ends and the girl does something that everyone at the table thinks is awesome only for the Rules Lawyer to flip shit because "you should have done it one specific way not the way you did it" and ragequits. Rest of party wants to keep gaming though.

Fast forward, the adventure is published (it actually was too, it's published by Goodman games for their 3.5 line of Dungeon Crawl Classics #20.5 The Mask of Death) and Rules Lawyer talks his way back into the game.

Not bad. I particularly enjoyed it (even used the villain's name in a one off I ran once). Could have used a bigger budget and little else imho.
>>
>>46132902
>even used the villain's name in a one off I ran once
Ummm... The Shadow?
>>
>>46132135
He's being pedantic and purposely trying to make it look bad.

The -100xp scene still remains my favorite, just because I've seen so many people do essentially the same thing.
>>
>>46133379
The Shadow ??
>>
>>46133776
The Shadow.
>>
File: Uninvited Guests.jpg (162 KB, 1918x1080) Image search: [Google]
Uninvited Guests.jpg
162 KB, 1918x1080
Your goddess cannot help you..... here

Hilarious film. Probably the best film about playing D&D. The production isn't hollywood tier, nor it the acting, script, etc. but its all we have. I laughed and enjoyed it thoroughly. The BBEG is so over the top he becomes a caricature, but I love that melodramatic style and find it very amusing.
>>
>>46134150
The Shadow!
>>
>>46134150
>>46133379
>>46133776
Goddamn it you guys, my sides.
>>
>>46129807
Coincidently, did you or anyone in this thread watch this film because it was brought up and linked in the thread the other day with that guy who wanted advice on what to play in a PF campaign and everyone pretty much just shouted Paladin at him to undercut the party That Guy who was going to use fear based touch attacks to torture the rest of the party?
>>
>>46129807
>missing the joke
Probably. You have to tabletop and not be a cunt to get it.
>>
I liked it, but were there some missing scenes? Like some romance sub-plot that went beyond two characters walking together? The DM and the girl are a couple in the next movie and I was wondering when that happened. She also aged horribly, like she's a meth addict.
>>
>>46129807
Looks horrible.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.