[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Peter Dickinson
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: char_63804.jpg (9 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_63804.jpg
9 KB, 210x240
Non-retarded English edition!

Peter Dickinson, the Great Denier, has come to defeat your BBEG through SCIENCE and LOGIC!

How does your BBEG fare?

Can he deny your setting's magic or Gods?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9bny88OuY
>>
>BBEG

No, thank you. I prefer to use the term "villain."
>>
File: 1286977119417.jpg (87 KB, 425x609) Image search: [Google]
1286977119417.jpg
87 KB, 425x609
If you deny the tree, does the tree vanish?
If you refuse to acknowledge the sword in your bosom, are you immortal?
Truth does not heed the faith, or the empty follies, of mortals.

So too is it with the forces of the universe. Naming the interpretations of your observations has some power, as do all Names, but it's not going to make a dragon sit there and look at you like a retard for five minutes while you wave your academ-dick around. You'll just wind up as a digesting pedant.
>>
File: tiamat.png (862 KB, 1920x1160) Image search: [Google]
tiamat.png
862 KB, 1920x1160
>>46118123
When observations disagree match theory, theory has to be revised.

Peter is about to revise many of his theories.
>>
File: 1394988611674.jpg (17 KB, 294x294) Image search: [Google]
1394988611674.jpg
17 KB, 294x294
>>46118242
Damn man, it's been a while. How ya been? Still being autistic about commonly accepted terms and abbreviations?
>>
>>46118427

Could his denial somehow be a power of its own? Seems paradoxical.

I've seen this as "I disbelieve" power mentioned in science vs magic settings before.

How much power can saying "I deny!" have?

I figured he should he have lost this battle because of the sheer fact he knows he's in a fantasy world.
>>
>>46118242
I'm sorry we aren't using your preferred pronouns. I hope we didn't trigger you too badly.
>>
>>46119820
It's funny that you think the guy saying "villain" is the special snowflake.
>>
>>46118738
The most boring fantasy hero of all time. He's job is to ruin fantasy and escapism and make any fantasy world as boring as possible by his mere pedantic non stop blabbering.
>>
>>46118677
I admire you.
>>
>>46120001
Anon, have you never seen The Flight of Dragons?
>>
File: TheOgreofGormleyKeep.gif (102 KB, 503x366) Image search: [Google]
TheOgreofGormleyKeep.gif
102 KB, 503x366
>>46118123
I don't have a BBEG but I'd definitely play his game.

And try to suppress childhood memories of being terrified by the many, many horrific things in that film.
>>
>>46118738
Reminds me of a character in some novel I forget, they could create a mundane field. It nullified all magic and made fantasy elements realistic.
>>
>>46118738
>How much power can saying "I deny!" have?
It works quite well in World of Darkness, but there it's a form of magic in itself.
>>
File: Ushiromiya_Battler.png (623 KB, 921x1219) Image search: [Google]
Ushiromiya_Battler.png
623 KB, 921x1219
>>46118123
This guy and Battler should party.
>>
>>46119919
He's the one getting all autistic about the roughly-synonymous words someone else uses. Go figure.
>>
Holy shit.

He's Numidium.

A reality warper so powerful that he unmade magic itself, simply because he did not think it so.
>>
>>46120184
I'm going through Umineko right now.
I love this logic bullshit.
>>
>>46120065
I haven't, but im my defense, I'm not american/british, and this movie seem to predate widespread internet. Back then, VCR would have to be recorded in a single language, so most cartoons were only avaiable dubbed because kids can't read. If any material was not very popular, it wasnt worth dubbing and publicizing.

But yeah, I haven't.
>>
>>46118249
>If you deny the tree, does the tree vanish?
>If you refuse to acknowledge the sword in your bosom, are you immortal?

That is precisely how magic works. This is why sorcerers cast from Charisma.
>>
>>46120521
Also that one episode of (original series) star trek where they have to convince themselves bullets are not real so they don't all die.
>>
I remember one of Mickey Mouse pocket book where Mickey and Goofy transported to fantasy world where technology act like magic.

The BBEG is evil lord who use powerful illusion magic so he can even create dragons/wyrms from pure illusion, but Goofy simple disbelieve his magic.

I don't remember the name but I know it is released something after 1988
>>
>>46120223
Well. one is actually a word, the other is a childish acronym people have kept using that lacks any humor, isn't particularly cute, and makes you sound like an idiot, all perpetuated by the worst kind of idiots hoping that that's all it takes to "fit in".

Looks like you like to get upset that someone calls you out on it.
>>
>>46121170
A villain can refer to any antagonist of the heroes. Unless someone popularizes a snappy term for the major, final villain, 'BBEG' will continue to be used.
>>
I suppose any magic based on willpower and faith could be nullified by an equal or stronger disbelief in said magic. The magic may inflict pain, but if you can deny the pain of the magic itself, then maybe you can deny all associated effects. Of course, the more excruciating the pain, the harder it is to ignore, but maybe you could tip yourself invulnerable of all magic.

Wouldn't this also make children really good at some form of chaotic magic?
>>
>>46121304
Not really, because Main Villain or Final Villain is far better than Big Bad Evil Guy, because the former actually tells you something, while the latter makes you sound like you penguin spork XD. Hell, even something as simple as saying "the" villain tells you that they're the last in the line.

Also, plenty of people just use BBEG to describe any villain, so your "distinction" is largely personal. Hell, it was used in Buffy just to refer to each season's villain.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.