[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paladin of Death
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 8
File: knight_by_aobtd88-d7kzg3g.jpg (373 KB, 800x1556) Image search: [Google]
knight_by_aobtd88-d7kzg3g.jpg
373 KB, 800x1556
Okay guys. Here it is:

We have a very generic high fantasy setting with a lot of player world building. If you want it, you'll get it. Mostly. We have very decent players so it won't end up in erp or magical realms.
We have no pantheon of gods. If we need one we build it together. We have an underworld were souls of the dead go and the Reaper as the "guardian" or god of death. The very common picture of it. Black robe, bleak skull, scythe. To make it a little more interessting she's a very polite woman. The personification of death (duh) but also mercilessness, mortality and finality. She's not really decadent or gleeful. She just IS. A little of Pratchetts DEATH (THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST ME.) and Marvels Death. It's also common for her to make deals with unnaturally dying mortals to sent them back. "Kill ten innocent people until the next full moon." "Build a shrine in my honour." She doesn't do that out of mercy. More out of... boredom idk. She doesn't interfere with the mortal realm directly, only through deals. But she realise that there is a natural order and she can't sent warlords and mass muderers back again and again to kill everyone.

Now the opinion part:
I thought of a paladin of her as my next character. An undead. We have no alignment restrictions for paladins as DnD and the char wouldn't be by no means "good" but by all means "lawful". In a way it would be a very martial heavy cleric with the death domain and little magic. The best way to describe it is he's a devoted paladin of Death.

Pic related.
Also I would also like to see more undead paladin or fighter character art.

So, is this an interesting char concept or is it just to edgy in your eyes?
>>
File: ud_warrior_by_operion-d4zl9o7.jpg (183 KB, 900x1274) Image search: [Google]
ud_warrior_by_operion-d4zl9o7.jpg
183 KB, 900x1274
How about: Death actually hates necromancy and any undead she didn't create herself. necromancer-hunting is therefor one of her paladins top duties.
>>
>>46115400
http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Knights_of_Morr may lend you some inspiration to flesh your character out.
>>
>>46115473
>How about: Death actually hates necromancy and any undead she didn't create herself. necromancer-hunting is therefor one of her paladins top duties.
Of course. As I said: very generic fantasy. Every second accounter is versus undead or practicer of dark arts.

>>46115582
Thanks mate.
>>
File: 1452703375915.jpg (881 KB, 1600x1434) Image search: [Google]
1452703375915.jpg
881 KB, 1600x1434
>>46115400
Things like "kill ten innocent people" don't seem lawful at all to me. There is no logic or order in there IMO.
I believe that a being of mercilessness and mortality would rather do personnal things (like killing a mortal that is really too lucky and should have died ten times already), or doing more subtle non-immediately lethal things to keep the balance (like cursing/ruining the crops of a village so the winter claims a correct amount of peasants)
Boredom makes it sounds like a god of randomness rather than a immuable foreign being.

Also, don't forget tom ake her the goddess for bags of holding.

>>46115473
Sounds good. Would she hate magical healers too, since they aren't really part of the naturl order ? What about doctors ?
>>
>>46115851
I'd say Death is probably ok with healing and doctoring, but not Resurrection. She might have to grudegfully accept it as part of a bargain with other gods, tho.

Do you think a Death-Paladin would occasionally do things to stop too many people from dying at the same time? Keeping Deaths workload even, so to speak.
>>
>>46115851
>Things like "kill ten innocent people" don't seem lawful at all to me. There is no logic or order in there IMO.
The law in this would be: second chances come with a price. You WILL not deny her a soul. And if you want to free you own or other, you have to pay the price.
>I believe that a being of mercilessness and mortality would rather do personnal things (like killing a mortal that is really too lucky and should have died ten times already), or doing more subtle non-immediately lethal things to keep the balance (like cursing/ruining the crops of a village so the winter claims a correct amount of peasants)
Nah, I guess she isn't a being of balance. She knows that in the end everything is hers. She's Death, not Murder. There is a codex after she operates but balance? That sound more of a concept of Life.
>Boredom makes it sounds like a god of randomness rather than a immuable foreign being.
Boredom might be wrong. We never articulate that part. I think sometimes she just grant second chances to she what would happen. To keep things running. To make an interesting turn.
>>
Killing innocents sounds more like paladin of crime encouragement rather than death.
>>
File: 1458036509303.jpg (331 KB, 1200x1819) Image search: [Google]
1458036509303.jpg
331 KB, 1200x1819
>>46115948
>keeping Deaths workload even
Noice. I think it reinforces the fact that everything will be hers in the end. Order (tidiness, even) and very long-term goals would be her prime aspects.
You can even work that as karmic retribution. Killing warmongering monarch after some conquests would ensure that her workload doesn't increase too dramatically, and that he reaps what he saws. Nobody is the master of death after all.

And keeping a steady rhythm works like a hourglass metaphor, which is nice imagery for Death.
>>
File: 1458037301901.png (1 MB, 780x900) Image search: [Google]
1458037301901.png
1 MB, 780x900
What would be Death's opinions on suicide ?
Good, bad, or doesn't care ?
Would her priests kill themselves as an act of faith and be brought back as undead (or end not being brought back and serve her on the other side) ?
Would her cult perform sacrifices ? Ritual assassinations ? Snatch priests of Life's deities and murder them.

What are the elements related to death in various cultures ?
IIRC hindus and asians associate White with Death.
You should define your psychopomps too. because psychopomps are cool
Are they clerics or spirit servants ? Does Death let another god take care of that part, or does she come in person for everyone ?
Are they differents psychopomps depending on the cause of death ? Actually important because different spirits may carry you a different afterlife.
For example, in Fereus, they are spirits that snatch the souls of those that were burned. So you have to burn the dead so they can't be reanimated, otherwise it's quite easy to recall their spirit.
The Ankou from Britanny regularly passes next to burial grouds with his cart to collect the souls of the departed. It's the only example of public transportation to the afterlife that I can think of. And seeing him ensure that you will die within the year.
On that topic, there should be a lot of supertitions going about your character.
>>
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.