[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think of Joan d'arc?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 32
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 236x304) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 236x304
What does /tg/ think of Joan d'arc?
>>
>>46089792
War Cleric.

Also a jackass. In the middle of her trial she was writing letters to Jan Hus threatening him to escape her prison to kick his ass.
>>
>>46089792

As the only readily known female knight in the public eye, she's become the archtypical mold for the generic fantasy lady knight.
>>
File: 1453903495198.jpg (74 KB, 474x750) Image search: [Google]
1453903495198.jpg
74 KB, 474x750
>>46089792
All I have ever wanted in life was to fight and die for a beautiful woman.

Bitch be baller, every setting I run includes at least one analogous character.
>>
>>46089792
Witch.
>>
Was she ever canonised as a saint?
>>
>>46089792
The original Sister of Battle.
Would fight and die for.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwseJ9eU7kg
>>
>>46089872
this. I'd probably never die for another man. A beautiful and competent woman on the other hand, I'd take a grenade for.
>>
File: JDA01h[1].jpg (466 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
JDA01h[1].jpg
466 KB, 1280x853
>>46089792
She's a pretty cool ship.

Apart from that, top-class paladin and historical waifu, basis of the SoB, banter with theologists, kills englishmen and doesn't afraid of anything.
Btw, she liked advanced technology (for the time), and insisted for rockets to be used during the siege of Orleans.
>>
>>46089792
Just read up on her a few weeks ago.
Pretty cool story, 10/10 would renounce heresy for
>>
>>46089879
beatificated in 1909 and canonized in 1920
>>
>>46089916
Removing crumpet is honourable.
>>
>>46089872
I'd probably be more likely to fight and die for someone like Jeanne de Clisson, who had the advantage of being a widow and not a borderline nun.
>>
>>46089912
Dyeing is the easy part. Would you live for your captain even after her execution?
>>
Heretic who fought for the wrong side
>>
>>46089792
>>>/his/
>>
>>46090089
Perfidious Albion spotted. The Engel Saxons were rightly known as liars and backstabbers throughout the Middle Ages.
>>
>>46089792
I kind of love her because nothing about her story should have happened. A schizophrenic French girl should never have left a mark like she did in that time and place. It's like history went off the rails for a bit.
>>
>>46090075
hmm, hard question. I don't know. That depends on how beautiful she actually were
>>
File: tumblr_mgo6152oRH1r4ocjpo4_250.gif (105 KB, 250x192) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgo6152oRH1r4ocjpo4_250.gif
105 KB, 250x192
i think she's pretty cool

she went to breast camp
>>
>>46089792
>Joan d'arc?
It's either Joan of Arc or Jeanne D'Arc, spell it right
>>
>>46089792
She's hot.
>>
>>46089792
I think the siege of Orleans is a pretty cool guy. Seh burns for heresy and doesnt afraid of anything.
>>
>>46090234
joanne d'of arc

she's interesting, but unfortunately overhyped
>>
>>46090209
Why did that show get cancelled?
>>
>>46090276

MTV didnt know what it had and a lot of idiots got upset about Ghandi's portrayal.

And rather than say fuck you and be the edgy teen voice tv channel, MTV canceled it instead.

Creators went on to make Scrubs, iirc and still want to finish the series. They had an ending in mind.
>>
>>46090276

more detailed, also fuck india

An article in Maxim Magazine depicting Mahatma Gandhi being beaten up by a muscular man sparked outrage in India.[9] Clone High was caught in a crossfire when citizens in the country conducted internet searches on the Maxim article but also found out about the show's Gandhi character on MTV's website. This sparked an outrage in India over the show's depiction of Gandhi.[9] On January 30, 2003, the 55th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi's assassination, approximately 150 protesters (including members of parliament) gathered in New Delhi and vowed to fast in response to Clone High.[10] Tom Freston, the head of Viacom (owner of MTV), was visiting the network's India branch and was "trapped in the building," according to Miller. In 2015, he recalled that protestors "basically threatened that they’d revoke MTV’s broadcasting license in India if they didn’t take the show off the air."[4]
>>
>>46090322
>basically threatened that they’d revoke MTV’s broadcasting license in India if they didn’t take the show off the air
What pieces of shit.
>>
>>46090361
such a wonderful legacy for a man of peace :^)
>>
File: 1388274476451.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1388274476451.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
SEISHOUJOYO
>>
File: joana_darc_gf_20130128[1].jpg (117 KB, 584x420) Image search: [Google]
joana_darc_gf_20130128[1].jpg
117 KB, 584x420
>>46090177
>>46090177
According to the records of her trial and testimonies of french knights, it seems that she was quite pretty, in a rural way. Also had well-formed and beautiful breasts according to d'Alençon.
Had a sweet and compelling low voice, and grave dark eyes.

Definitely not the ethereal, noble beauty depicted in most paintings, so it depends if you like black-haired tanned musclegirls or not.

Look at the movie The Passion of Joan of Arc, the director tried to find someone that looked like her and has a similar background for the role.

Bonus points for managing to stay a virgin despite being surrounded by french noblemen 24/7 because she had such a pure aura.
"Despite any sight or contact I had with the Maid, was my body moved to any carnal desire for her."
>>
>>46090399
Right up until they stuck her in a mans prison and made her dress as a woman at least.
>>
>>46089810
>Also a jackass. In the middle of her trial she was writing letters to Jan Hus threatening him to escape her prison to kick his ass.

that sounds more like a badass than a jackass.
>>
She sure did exist.
I think I got her event once on Crusader Kings 2
>>
>>46089792
She's pretty hot.
>>
>>46090172
Indeed
>>
>>46090172
That's pretty HERETIC of you to say
>>
overrated cheerleader
>>
>>46089792
Meme/10, nowhere near as important as the Frogs want you to believe.
>>
>>46090415
No she still preserved it in prison. She complained extensively about that wgole ordeal with her "guards" since it coincides with her trial over cross dressing. She just started wearing pants anyways and kicking guards in the nuts when they tried.
>>
File: bill and ted poster.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bill and ted poster.jpg
128 KB, 1280x720
>>46089792
A most righteous dudette. She even totally helped us make an excellent history project.
>>
File: images.png (5 KB, 179x180) Image search: [Google]
images.png
5 KB, 179x180
>>46089792
>>
>>46089792
Mad that tumblr thinks it can just insert their blatant politically correct OC into history like that. Everyone knows women never had any part in war, and in my campaigns we like to keep things historically accurate.
>>
>>46090366
I remember the bit where Ghandi said to walk the path of nonviolence, and also never involve yourself in licensing debates because holy shit that was like ten times worse than stabbing a man.
>>
I think she survived and someone else died for her.

Then she lived out her life quietly as someone else, struggling with the guilt of taking their place.
>>
I think she's pretty cool and one of my favorite archtypical fantasy characters, the dutiful, pious lady paladin who instead of removing crumpet removes undead and demon.

As a commander her tactics weren't too revolutionary, good cannon placement, and lots of cannon. Unlike her peers who took a more cautioned approach, she seemed to move pretty fast and decisive.
>>
She was hot
>>
File: St_Olga_by_Nesterov_in_1892[1].jpg (74 KB, 366x1000) Image search: [Google]
St_Olga_by_Nesterov_in_1892[1].jpg
74 KB, 366x1000
Idiot was a propaganda tool and got burned as a heretic witch because of her stupidity.

Saint Olga of Kiev, on the other hand was an actual ruler of a nation, and the hardest badass I know of. The only thing more awesome than her excellently executed cruelty is the fact that the Drevlians didn't realize that she was not to be fucked with, and repeatedly fell victim to her hilariously "just as planned" vengeances.
>>
>>46093092
Joan was rather competent though, and unlike Olga, she knew something of mercy and the difference between justice and vengeance.
>>
>>46089792
She was what happens when genuine idealist gets involved in politics.
>>
>>46092960
>instead of removing crumpet removes undead and demon.
Is there a difference?
>>
>>46093151
Shh, anon, let him have it.
This is the same board that glorifies Vlad Tepes, you won't get thru to him that there is more to being a great ruler than how many people you can murder because you had a bad day.
>>
>>46093151
you couldn't sound like more of a cuck
>>
>>46093092
>propaganda tool
Propaganda tool? To medieval France? And an army that, while professionalized, was still dominated by the nobility?

It'd work today, but not in those days. If they really wanted a propaganda tool to rally behind they'd want a man like Saint Louis: a man of noble birth, proven on the field of battle and highly pious without being controversial. Not an illiterate teenage girl who was simple (read: unsophisticated) in all her doings with no military experience and want as far as to claim that God directly spoke to her. The only reason why Charles the Victorious (named that post facto) even relied on Jeanne was because he was that desperate, and even then he wasn't always willing to follow her lead (the first siege of Paris failed because Charles ordered the retreat against the wishes of Jeanne, and Jeanne's capture happened in part because Charles refused to provide her with the gunpowder she asked for). In fact, she was so much the opposite of an effective propaganda tool that the English still mock the French for needing to be saved by a teenage peasant girl (yet carefully avoiding that this teenage peasant girl fulfilled her promise: no Englishmen will remain in France save for the dead).

She became a propaganda tool when Napoleon reminded France of who she was and especially during WW1.

>>46093202
>le cuck maymay
Oh, now I just feel stupid for even trying. Back to /pol/ with you.
>>
>>46090177

That's sorta shallow.
>>
>>46093419
>Charles... relied on Jeanne was because he was that desperate
This, the French were up shit creek. She was less a genius or a propaganda tool, but more like >>46092960 anon said, someone who actually got shit done without endlessly pontificating about it, which both the English and French sides were guilty of at that point in the war.
>>
>>46093189
>Not idolizing Jeanne, Olga, and Vlad
>>
>>46090496
Me to.

After crushing the rebellion I gave her a job as my marshal.

then seduced her and spawned a line of Emperors blessed by God and baptized in blood and fire
>>
>>46090234
Johanna von Arc
>>
File: 1455737351939.png (534 KB, 579x533) Image search: [Google]
1455737351939.png
534 KB, 579x533
>>46094668
That sounds amazing.

Now I want to play CK2.
>>
>>46089792
If she was a real witch she would have had fire resistance.
>>
>>46094504
>Vlad
His methods might have been ruthless, but his goals were noble.
>>
>>46089916
>random echelon on the foredeck
wut? why?
>>
>>46090172
>implying history has rails
>implying history isn't full of the strangest little coincidences and the most absurd knock-on and butterfly effects
>>
File: Viking_Siege_of_Paris.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1514) Image search: [Google]
Viking_Siege_of_Paris.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1514
>>46097740
A lot of people seem to think history is just boring events with nothing fun or interesting about them. That's why you get TV series like Vikings changing things like the siege of Paris for the worse because they probably didn't even read up on it before hand; in reality it was even cooler than depicted on the show. Or why the insane shenanigans of Captain America on Generation Kill are downplayed; no one would believe he was a real character who did all that insane shit.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that history really is more fucked up than fiction.
>>
I recall Jeanne never killed anybody personally on the battlefield, despite being the flagbearer.

So basically she played the most intense game of capture the flag every time she entered battle.
>>
File: PanO.jpg (18 KB, 236x330) Image search: [Google]
PanO.jpg
18 KB, 236x330
She's swell.
>>
>>46098089
She never killed personally, but she did threaten enemies with massacre, and on one or two occasions carried it out.
>>
>>46094504

Jeanne d'Arc represents the very best of the idealized paladin fighting for their country, while Vlad represents what the very best of rulers when faced with great calamity. Sacrificing his own morality, and possibly his immortal soul for the lives and protection of his people.

Olga was a woman who didn't know how to separate vengeance from justice, and as a result she killed and enslaved a lot of innocent people in her quest for it.
>>
>>46098431
Well, the English aren't people so it's alright.
>>
>>46089792
>What does /tg/ think of Joan d'arc?
she's a proto-Ripley...

If you need to look that up I can wait...
>>
>>46098462
>while Vlad represents what the very best of rulers when faced with great calamity. Sacrificing his own morality, and possibly his immortal soul for the lives and protection of his people.
Uh...huh.
If only he could protect him from himself.
I mean, that was back in the Ottoman's heyday when they didn't give a fuck what religion you were, just pay your Jizya and get on with your life.
What a dire fate.
>>
>>46090209

Didn't Joan historically have large, full breasts?

I recall a primary source mentioning her huge tits.
>>
>>46098462
I think you're romanticizing these historical personages too much.
>>
>>46098462
>Vlad represents what the very best of rulers when faced with great calamity. Sacrificing his own morality, and possibly his immortal soul for the lives and protection of his people.
Yeah...
...That's what he did...

Look I realize Romania doesn't exactly have a lot of National Heroes to pick from, but can we not apologize for an obvious tyrannical monster?
>>
>>46090399
Musclegirl? Well, I suppose that makes sense, she was a farmer's daughter. Seems mutually exclusive with nice chest though.
>>
>>46094668

How do you get children with a celibate woman? I thought marrying them simply didn't cut it.
>>
>>46097922

Imagine if they did a movie on the wolves of Paris.

>Pack of wolves in the dead of winter invade the city of Paris and start slaughtering townsfolk. They are later massacred when the Parisians lure them into the center of the city, meeting their end at the steps of Notre Dame.
>>
>>46098521

>Why didn't the Romanians let Muslims run their country, enslave their women and children before eventually collapsing into decadence and casual genocide?
>>
>>46098521
You're right, these people should have given up and submitted to foreigners of a different culture and religion, all it was was a little tax.*

*Also they would occasionally rape and do whatever they wanted to your daughters and wives, and occasionally kidnap young men and force them to fight in their wars. But I literally don't care about that and instead want to cry about people who died fighting a war of aggression.

>>46098636
>tyrannical monster

Not really. He was overly aggressive, and hateful, but his rule was not marked by any great evils done to his own people. This bullshit only came about because of German propaganda.
>>
>>46098777
just because someone was "useful" doesn't necessarily mean that they should be "celebrated".

Custer was useful to winning the battle of Gettysburg, doesn't mean he shouldn't be remembered as "that one blonde dumbass who charged a massive army without support for the sake of personal glory and got slaughtered"
>>
>>46098880

One man's monster is another man's patriot, culture is strange like that.
>>
>>46098875
>but his rule was not marked by any great evils done to his own people
you're joking right?
at one point he burned his own people alive in his courtyard while gloating over them from his balcony.

when the Turks marched on Tirgoviste they described it as being surrounded by a "forest" of impaled bodies. this forest was largely comprised of Wallachian people, Vlad's way of ensuring loyalty.
>>
>>46099022
People who committed crimes when they knew Vlad's schtick was "criminals get impaled in public" got what they deserved.
>>
>>46099058
so now you are back-peddling, you claimed earlier that he committed no evils against his own people but now your saying they deserved it?
>>
>>46099022

And some of the greatest Ottomans in history perpetuated rape and slavery in their society, participating in it themselves while expanding their realm to continue said rape and slavery.

And yet some of them are known as "magnificent."
>>
>>46089792
Her story led to that of Gilles de Rais, and he was pretty cool.
>>
>>46097714
Water evacuation. Prevent the wave's leftover drom washing over the base of the citadel.

>>46093151
>Joan
>Mercy
We're speaking about the girl that broke swords on prostitutes' backs because soldiers with STDs are soldiers that don't fight well. I don't remember an occurence of her being particularly nice with her enemies.

>>46098645
Actually, a reasonable of pectoral muscles help support the breasts and therefore increase their perkiness.
>>
>>46099168

>pectoral muscles give you perky boobs

No wonder people enjoyed the maidens of the fields.
>>
>>46098521
>I mean, that was back in the Ottoman's heyday when they didn't give a fuck what religion you were, just pay your Jizya and get on with your life.
>What a dire fate.
Demanding protection money in the name of your shitty desert cult deserves to be met with extreme violence.
>>
>>46099208

They also demanded sons and daughters.

And you to fight and die in their wars, fighting against fellow Christians.

There's a reason the Ottomans are basically the basis for all "evil other" in European history.
>>
>>46098521
>that was back in the Ottoman's heyday when they didn't give a fuck what religion you were, just pay your Jizya and get on with your life.
>What a dire fate.
>>46098777
>>Why didn't the Romanians let Muslims run their country, enslave their women and children before eventually collapsing into decadence and casual genocide?
>>46098875
>You're right, these people should have given up and submitted to foreigners of a different culture and religion, all it was was a little tax.*
>*Also they would occasionally rape and do whatever they wanted to your daughters and wives, and occasionally kidnap young men and force them to fight in their wars. But I literally don't care about that and instead want to cry about people who died fighting a war of aggression.

Some people had actual spines and didn't want to become modern sweden.
>>
>>46099105
Not him, but punishment isn't evil. If we want to keep it d&d related like every shitty alignment discussion on this board, it's actually a lawful act Even if Middle-Age Romania wasn't a prime example of Rechtsstaat.
And btw, impaling people is pretty tame as old capital punisment goes. Getting quartered by horses, sawn in two, or washed with molten lead were considered adequate punishment at the time. Of course, it was before Beccaria was a thing.
>>
>>46099110
so what? it does nothing to diminish how fucked-up Vlad Dracula was,

Nor did I ever claim that the Ottomans had the moral high-ground either.
>>
>>46098498
English soldiers with French civilians
>>
>>46099300
>impaling people is pretty tame
you do realize that it takes days to die like that?
not that those other ways aren't fucked-up but I wouldn't call impalement tame either.
>>
File: Kirk's Nightmare.jpg (45 KB, 367x400) Image search: [Google]
Kirk's Nightmare.jpg
45 KB, 367x400
>>46099354
His enemies were the Ottomans. He had the high ground by default.
>>
>>46099354

See >>46099677

He was fighting the Ottomans, when you're fighting the national embodiment of raw, calculating evil you have free rein on what you must do to stop them.
>>
>>46099677
>implying
He was an usurper against his brother and an empire that had more to do with the glory of byzantium than a bunch of drunk slavs in wooden shacks.
>>
>>46099387
It would matter if there where any actual massacres she ordered and you weren't just making shit up. None of the battles she commanded resulted in a massacre. Get fucked Angelo shit.
>>
>>46099110
>typical habsburgfag unable to accept the glory of Suleyman IV
>>
>>46099965

You're right, they should've been *begging* for their sons to get enslaved and their daughters ravished, because the big turban man in the conquered city told them We Wuz Rome N' Sheeiiit.

The Turks won the diadem by right of conquest but holy shit did they do nothing to improve upon it.
>>
Since this is clearly a historical discussion, can someone explain why the triangle trade is such a discussed topic in school while we hardly ever learn about the corsairs?

It took a professor at Ohio State to teach us about that and he insisted we never learned about it because teachers try to downplay what happened, that they're "whitewashing" mass enslavement and suffering.
>>
IF YOU WANNA SEE SOME ACTION
>>
File: 198672[1].jpg (55 KB, 471x500) Image search: [Google]
198672[1].jpg
55 KB, 471x500
>>46098462
>>46098636
>>46098875
>There are people who unironically believe removing kebab is bad
>>
>>46098283
Best special character in Infinity, and the primary reason why I want to run Militant Orders at some point.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 400x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 400x289
>>46100164
Guilt trip white people while downplaying the fact of it was blacks who sold their people into slavery, and ignoring all the white Irish slaves used before blacks became the prime slave in the south

That's at least how I remember it
>>
>>46100164

Ohio State has always been one of the few major colleges that never really got swept into the whole "hyper-liberalism" of other universities.
>>
>>46100120
Considering the greeks spent 500 years sitting on their asses in the ruins of Constantinople as things fell apart around them, they may not have improved, but at least the huge 1500s building projects in the city saved it from becoming a forgotten ruin.

>We wuz rome n'sheeiiit
But he was turkish, not greek

>>46100164
Corsair is literally just french for privateer
>>
>>46100164
Insufficient time and ressources for complete history courses, triangular trade being an important event (especially for a former colony like the US ; I guess that if the american civil war had been protestants against catholics, you would be learning about the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, the Great Peasant's Revolt, and all that stuff). Add to that a good amount of inertia since a good chunk early to mid-20th century USA was pretty racist and a little historical reminder didn't hurt at the time. And of course, politics.
Of course others like the irish were persecuted too, but it's more diffictult to pick a 2nd generation irish at first glance, so their plea is less visible.
>>
>>46100446
>Considering the greeks spent 500 years sitting on their asses in the ruins of Constantinople as things fell apart around them, they may not have improved, but at least the huge 1500s building projects in the city saved it from becoming a forgotten ruin.

Constantinople started falling apart after the Fourth Crusade, before that it was the single most powerful city in Europe, rivaled only by Rome.

The Byzantines commented on the state of the city when they managed to retake it from the Latin Empire, the French were the ones that really ruined it.
>>
>>46100025
Source, my fine non Angelo gentleman?
>>
>>46100856
>you have to provide a source to prove that an exaggerated claim is incorrect

Rather, find for me a single one of her battles she commanded that resulted in a massacre.
>>
>>46100679
Mostly politics from what I remember.

History wise I remember skipping a whole lot of shit. Like two day spent on Napoleon 15 on the holocaust. I think we spent like three days about the triangle trade and funny enough the teacher we had did mention it tended to be the black people selling other tribes into slavery.

I can remember one black guy in class looking very uncomfortable at that thought. Which is why I can remember this after so long. Not sure how education in history is doing these days but in mine we just flew though everything.
>>
>>46100767
It was actually rivaled by Venice, Paris, etc. By the time the 4th crusade started, Constantinople was a memory, a dream of a distant past.

The byzantines collapsed well enough on their own. Had it not been the 4th crusade, do I need to remind you that they were in the middle of a civil war? Nicea broke off before the crusaders took the City.
>>
>>46100856
Oh, no, I just like reading articles on parts of history or people that I like. Crossing ones that contradict each other will happen, but I hope to improve what I know and maybe get a straighter story.

Although it was not a massacre, per say, but Joan did threaten others, since she led sieges and made heavy use of artillery, and the town of Jargeau sufferened many english soldier and french civilian deaths after the siege finished up.

I'm just curious is all.
>>
>>46100985
Whoops, meant for
>>46100869
>>
>>46100985
>It wasn't a massacre, even though I alleged that earlier

Bombarding a fortified city that refuses to surrender isn't a fucking massacre, and any civilian casualties are sad, but unavoidable given the weaponry and tactics employed at the time. She threatened the English garrison with bombardment, and carried it out when they refused to surrender.
>>
File: Gillesderais1835.jpg (129 KB, 418x642) Image search: [Google]
Gillesderais1835.jpg
129 KB, 418x642
>>46089792
Giles de Rais
>used to rape little boys to death.
>attempted to summon a demon named 'Baron'.
>was a companion-in-arms of Joan of Arc.
>>
>>46101356
>>used to rape little boys to death.
Lies and slander made up by the British.
He did little boys and sacrificed children to worship dark forces, but those were two unrelated activities.
>>
>>46101279
If I remember correctly, the number of casualties during said seige were over 600 english, but also around 400 french. I meant the massacre was not upon civilians, but the english defenders were decimated. She did threaten to massacre the (english), however.

Then again, casualty reports from then aren't exactly recorded to a letter, so who knows if its an exageration.
>>
>>46101356
So how do the actions of a fellow soldier, appointed by the King and in no special relationship with Joan, in any way effect Joan? Especially when all the events in question that got him into trouble happened after her death?

Companion-in-Arms literally just means fellow soldier too btw. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here trying to discredit her.
>>
File: jeanne.jpg (420 KB, 1200x1120) Image search: [Google]
jeanne.jpg
420 KB, 1200x1120
>>46101356
>>
>>46098089
Seriously, imagine how much dodging she would've had to do on the frontlines. Her reflex save must've been godly.
>>
File: gothic-plate-armor-.jpg (64 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
gothic-plate-armor-.jpg
64 KB, 600x600
>>46102541
Plate armor bro.
>>
>>46102541
She got wounded twice.
>>
>>46089792
I love lady knights and I love the idea of the story, but she was a crazy person who's exploits are incredibly exaggerated and 99/100 people don't know any of the facts about her. Which I don't blame them for, really. Pop culture has changed her image forever, and it's hard to find good sources from back then. She was a fraud nutcase.
>>
>>46101356
I find it hilarious that they got him for what amounted at the time to tax evasion. At first nobody cared that he snatched countrygirls and tortured peasants in his dungeons. But as soon as he failed to pay his debts ? Gonna burn, son.

>demon named Baron
Nobility confirmed (again) for being spawn of Satan. Robespierre did nothing wrong.
>>
>>46103346
>hard to find good sources from back then
Really? The reports from her trials are one of the most available text on the net from that period. Not to mention the shitton of books covering every end of the spectrum.
>>
>>46103346
She is literally the most studied person in medieval history with a fuckton of accounts about her. The records of her trial are fantastic to read, especially when she fucking bobs and weaves theological traps like a fucking Benedictine Monk.

Though from your post, you never actually read anything about her and just wanted to shitpost.
>>
If I had a time machine the first thing I'd do is go back in time and tap that. Probably when she was captured by the British awaiting trial. Figure after her first escape, kill the guards of the tower with a silenced pistol (because you never time travel unarmed) and tell her that I'm an angel from God.

Then tell her that she will raise a son that will lead France into an age of prosperity it has never know before. Tell her how her child will be celebrated at every Street corner but still keep it a little real to not TOTALLY get her suspicious. Tell her hardships await for her. Also I'd read up on the Bible, because bitch knew her shit.

Tldr I have thought long and hard about how to put something long and hard in her.
>>
>>46103678
Her cleverness was astounding, though she was either cheating with divine help or disadvantaged with mental illness, depending on your view of her visions from God.
>>
>>46103428
>anything written by medieval clergy
>reliable
>>
I think she and Oda Nobunaga should hook up, though the anime about that was pretty garbage.
>>
>>46103780
I'm a french catholic, so I'm going to say cheating.

>>46103784
It's not all by clergy, if you printed everything written about her out it would be enough to sink a freighter.
>>
>>46103784
>what is a primary source
or, for that matter:
>I don't know what I'm talking about at all and I wasn't even aware that assessors and commisars were a thing at the time.
>>
File: bretonnia 3.jpg (140 KB, 765x530) Image search: [Google]
bretonnia 3.jpg
140 KB, 765x530
>>46103356
I cannot believe that several hundred years later we have an entire nation made in his honor! They even got the "worships an evil fae" part right!
>>
I can only imagine what would've happened if she managed to escape from her prison.
>>
>>46103760
But why?
>>
>>46100164
Because the Barbary pirates weren't white. I agree. I'd love to see a 12 Years a Slave type movie made starring their victims. Not for the movie, but for the Internet's reaction.
>>
>>46104497
Except he got nailed for his bullshit largely because he was screwing the duke of Brittany.
>>
>>46105172
I'm picturing a kill-bill-esque rampage. She's got the jumpsuit, because the lord provides.
>>
>>46089792
I want to run a campaign where people try to save her.
>>
File: 1429267371680.png (2 MB, 1414x1000) Image search: [Google]
1429267371680.png
2 MB, 1414x1000
She has amazing tits.
>>
>>46089792
Purest waifu
>>
>>46111232
DON'T SEXUALIZE THE SAINT
>>
>>46089792
She was smoking hot.
>>
>>46099022
>when the Turks marched on Tirgoviste they described it as being surrounded by a "forest" of impaled bodies. this forest was largely comprised of Wallachian people, Vlad's way of ensuring loyalty.

He made that forsest especialy to demoralize the Turkish Army. I don0t know how many of thsoe corps were already dead when he impaled them.
>>
>>46099168
>broke swords on prostitutes' backs
Googled it.

SHe actualy broke a famous sword doing this. Wow.
>>
>>46099289
IF you talk about Janissaries it was acutaly a profession that granted you social priviliges and many fought for th eright to send their sons to be a Janissarie.
>>
>>46098636
>Yeah...
>>46098521
>Uh...

Samefag
>>
>>46099677
>Cucked.com
>>
Ok I'm getting more serious on running a oneshot about saving Joan.

Any good book you can reccomend for reading deatails about her esecution?
>>
>>46103815
Drifters was made into an anime?
>>
>>46112116

Nah one of Kawamori's disciples did a god-awful fantasy anime about historical reincarnations and dragons and terrible love triangles and so forth. It had some okay mecha design but didn't go anywhere and had a crappy ending.

Nobunaga The Fool or something.

Don't bother.
>>
File: 1458082466464.png (144 KB, 380x304) Image search: [Google]
1458082466464.png
144 KB, 380x304
>>46099168
>>46111942
>Possesses a famous, alread legendary sword
>Never uses it to kill
>Breaks it trying to slap two prostitutes' shit

Not sure whether awesome, full retard or just hilarious.
>>
>>46112074
Read the official testimonies of her trials. They're easy to find in book form or on the net.
Also, if you get the time (and like non-blockbuster movies), watch the passion of jaon of arc by Dreyer. It's a powerful piece and condenses the thing quite well. Black and white with a soundtrack but no voices, though.
Made by the french during the interwar period, so it will put you in the right mindset for the rescue.
I've hard that Twain's Recollections of Joan of Arc were very good, too. It is a novellized version, but he did good research work for it.

>>46111964
devşirme can be translated as kidnapping. Plus morals and family links were differents at the time,so "selling" your offsprings wasn't considered with too much scorn.
>social privileges
Like the interdiction to marry, have children, or enter trades. They were an administrative class of slaves, but slaves nonetheless.
>>
>>46098684
She was only chaste on that playthrough.

It was either a glitch, it's been updated since then, part of the CK2+ mod or my seduction attempts were so devastatingly successful that it destroyed her celibacy.

I wasn't paying that much attention at the time because I was getting jihad-spam attack from 3 sides and my attention was needed elsewhere.
>>
>>46112788
You can lose celibate, but it takes an almost perfect storm of traits and events. I'm sure Seduction helped
>>
File: zUwqrhM[2].png (513 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
zUwqrhM[2].png
513 KB, 1280x720
>>46113024
Imagine if king Charles succesfully managed to seduce Jeanne. Their son would paternally be a descendant of Saint Louis and maternally a descandant of Saint Jeanne. The House Valois would be one favored by God and instead of the Sun King we'd end up with a God-Emperor of Europe.
>>
>>46113143

>Implying that wouldn't destroy Jeanne and Charles's reputations and ruin the nobility's support of the House Valois in the middle of the Hundred Year War

>Implying we wouldn't see the Plantagenets take control of a dissatisfied France

>>>Naming oneself a fucking God-Emperor in Christendom
>>
"Of the love or hatred God has for the English, I know nothing, but I do know that they will all be thrown out of France, except those who die there."

That's basically all I have to say. Is it a thing for the French to be hot-headed? because I'm French by blood, but not really culturally, and I'm a unhinged when it comes to that.
>>
File: 1334628464173[1].jpg (17 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
1334628464173[1].jpg
17 KB, 350x277
>>46113991
>Is it a thing for the French to be hot-headed?
Compared to what the British historically had to say about the French, this is incredibly tame. Nelson instructed his men to hate the French like they hate the devil, and Wellington said "We [the British] are, always have been and I hope we always will be hated by the French".

Jeanne's "hot-headedness" was simply a promise she intended to fulfill.
>>
>>46113991
They got to keep the Channel Islands and the title of the Duchy of Normandy, though, so Jeanne wasn't quite right.
>>
File: Cleave_And_Smite_Evil.jpg (83 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
Cleave_And_Smite_Evil.jpg
83 KB, 500x380
>>46089792
>literally a heretic
>>
>>46113991
Well France and England often see themselves as opposite. In France, we consider english as "flegmatiqe" (so kind of cool mind, slow paced). In comparison, French are hot blooded. It's a long rivalry : worst friend and best ennemy I think.
>>
File: witchcraft in the middle ages.jpg (34 KB, 324x499) Image search: [Google]
witchcraft in the middle ages.jpg
34 KB, 324x499
>>46101356
You know you're fucked up when there are two entire pages devoted to your exploits in a book on witchcraft.
>>
File: 1337841010204.png (492 KB, 587x557) Image search: [Google]
1337841010204.png
492 KB, 587x557
>>46114107
>There was literally zero evidence for heresy, even when the English actively tried to frame her
>She was burned for crossdressing after the English ignored pre-existing exceptions to this rule
>During her retrial, all involved in her execution were excommunicated
>>
>>46092840
Japan go away. The game was not even good.
>>
>>46114146

Funny how they both saw Germany rising, ended basically every dispute they had over colonial territory, and teamed up.

1810 Europe and 1910 Europe were bizarrely different. 2010 Europe too, I suppose.
>>
>>46098521
Let's not forget that by the time the Ottomans had already murdered his father and elder brother.
>>
>>46093092
Catherine the great.
>>
>>46114082
They actually didn't get to keep the title to the duchy of Normandy. It was dusted off by moronic antiquarians in the 1850s along wit a spurious claim that a female ruler of Normandy would still be a duke (the explanation for it is and will always remain retarded, Suo Juri duchesses of Brittany were duchesses, not dukes).

Bretigny very explicitly gives away Normandy.
>>
>>46114239
Gee, it is almost like it's a trend in history that powers set aside their individual conflicts to fight a greater threat. Almost like politics is driven by interests rather than /int/ memes.
>>
>>46114214
>The game was not even good.
Imagine having this shit taste
>>
>>46103780
Sometime you have to wonder if God is having a giggle using the most unfit of person and making them the centre of the story and help them succeed.
>>
>>46114640
probably to compense the facepalming.
>>
File: bacon.jpg (304 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
bacon.jpg
304 KB, 1600x900
>>46089792
Crispy.
>>
File: 1398695397310.jpg (20 KB, 625x476) Image search: [Google]
1398695397310.jpg
20 KB, 625x476
>>46089792
i think she was pretty hot.
>>
what would Joan do if the was freed from the stake?

Start a rebellion against Charles? Continue like nothing happened? hide and lead a normal life?

What would you do in her place?
>>
>>46114640

God was always about using unfit people for His message.

Such as David and the hookers.
>>
>>46117983
probably continue like nothing happened. Her mission was to fight the brits and help the French king. Doesn't matter if he's a dick.
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.