[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /tg/ not like, freeform roleplaying? why? why not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Rp.png (399 KB, 1027x610) Image search: [Google]
Rp.png
399 KB, 1027x610
Does /tg/ not like, freeform roleplaying? why? why not?
>>
>>46085823
So this is what Richard looked like before he met Nicole.
>>
With a bit of exclusiveness, extensive character creation constraints, and a mod that hates *teleports behind you* tier stuff it can work. Otherwise it just becomes a shitshow of teenagers's special snowflakes trying to one-up everyone.
>>
There's no challenge to overcome when you can do literally everything.
>>
What are some good rp forums or there arent?
>>
>>46086063
so you mean regular rpg games.
>>
Hi my name is Lord Willson and i have a hammer the size of my leg *looks at your face*
>>
Roleplay without a system and structured order is merely playing make believe. It is shallow wish fulfillment coupled with teenage tier power fantasy.

Yuck.
>>
>>46086280
>
Your GM fudging things for you doesn't count.
>>
File: freeform roleplayers.png (75 KB, 800x907) Image search: [Google]
freeform roleplayers.png
75 KB, 800x907
>>46085823
I don't like freeform. It feels like anyone over 16 who still does it is probably mentally and emotionally stunted. I think freeform is something people should grow out of over time and either stop roleplaying altogether or join the rest of the adults and build a solid set of rules around our make believe elf games.

In that sense, it reminds me of fanfiction: something you start with to develop your skills, but then grow out of when you want to do something serious with it, and if you're past your teenage years and still do it, you should probably be ashamed of yourself.

>>46086307
>shallow wish fulfillment coupled with teenage tier power fantasy
This is correct. Freeform has a reputation for being full of half-demon half-angel half-dragon half-elf half-drow half-demon heterochromatic half-fey catboys with masamune keyblades and dark tortured souls and dark powers from the darkest depths of the darkest dark, and where fights are all *teleports behind you* all the time.

My experience has been that freeform IRC channels and forums are full of people whose characters just sit and preen and try to look cool without actually doing anything, where everyone thinks their character is the main protagonist and everyone else is their supporting cast. It's horrible and I don't know how I put up with any of it.
>>
>>46086567
Wuh-oh, looks like the autismo-patrol decided to roll in.

Freeform roleplay is a lot of fun, as long as it's within well-defined retraints and you're not playing with retards like this guy. Properly done, it more resembles collaborative fiction than a tabletop game.
>>
>>46086686
No need to get offended, I agree with you. Thing is, put enough well-defined restraints on freeform and soon you find you've written up a homebrew system and it's not really freeform anymore. Freeform, at its best, is just a loose homebrew system.
>>
d10 vs d6 when doing something against a NPC
d10 vs d10 versus a player
>>
>>46086746
"Constraints" =/= "rules." Ideally there is no "system" in place, just a predetermined understanding of expectations and standards between players.
>>
>>46085823
The campaign my party has done has been going on for about 4 years has been overwhelmingly online as we've all spread out for college. All the RP we do is "freeform" in that there is no handholding or creative control beyond the pressure of your peers. As it stands, as a DM, I have seen truly incredible scenes happen from hours of really solid RPing. You just have to make sure everyone understands what is expected of them. I plop them into situations, subject their characters through shit, and generally, after a couple combat sessions, we have a handful of sessions that are hours of typed RP. You need to apply peer pressure to ensure quality, realistic, non masturbatory RP. RP has become the primary function of the campaign.
>>
>>46086318
Well then neither does a freeform in which everybody agrees that you auto succeed on your 'nothinpersonnel' maneuver.
>>
I've actually had a bit of fun playing freeform (mostly because I don't have any friends who live close enough to game with)

Honestly, it's better than nothing, usually. . . And it can be fun to deflate people's power fantasy. It might not happen often, but when it does it's rather satisfying.
>>
FFRP is fine, but FFRP is not just the shit you'd see on IRC.

FFRP sound pretty spiffy if certain limitations are in place.
I swear there was some sort of system floating around that utilized a limited retro-active character creation.

It worked with a point-buy system where you made a fairly blank character and then allowed certain character aspects, like merits and flaws, to be implemented during the game.
>>
File: 1458219293004.png (93 KB, 459x630) Image search: [Google]
1458219293004.png
93 KB, 459x630
>these are the people who start beastman threads
>>
>>46086686
>freeform
>within well-defined restraints

>>46086862
>no "system"
>just a predetermined understanding of expectations and standards

This? This isn't a gun. It's just a handheld bullet propelling device.
>>
>>46089186
If "predetermined understanding of expectations and standards" is what defines system based roleplay then persistent existence of That Guy phenomenon means tabletops are not system based roleplay.

Look m8, it's simple. Systems exist in attempt to prevent some powerwanking asshole from going on a god mode bender.
If you remove that guy, then the system is not strictly necessary.
>>
>>46089186
If that's how you feel about it then there's no such thing as truly freeform roleplaying, and if based on that you can't figure out why, you're honestly too young or too stupid for me to want to bother explaining it to you.
>>
>>46089213
Perhaps you should try making it known to me in clear detail, rather than explaining it.
>>
>>46086264
There are, its just that you have to know where to search them to avoid the furries.
>>
>>46089240
You define "freeform" as "absolutely nobody has any capability to object to or resist anybody else's actions"; and the moment the ability to say "fuck off asshole, no godmodding" appears you claim that it's not freeform.

You are working at incredibly blatant strawmen.
>>
>>46089265
How else would you define "freeform", other than "free of form"?

Add any sort of structure or standards, and bam, there's your form. Mutually masturbating over how nice freeform can be while actually talking about an extremely rules-light system is retarded.
>>
>>46085823
I dislike it because it attracts the *teleport behind and stab you* guys and other shitfucks that I'd rather not deal with.

With friends, I could see it working perhaps...
>>
File: bullet crossbow.jpg (68 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
bullet crossbow.jpg
68 KB, 640x361
>>46089186
I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves bullet crossbows.
>>
>>46089279
System is not the only element of a game. Gentlemanly conduct is not part of the game system, it's its own thing. And good freeform doesn't ditch that.

If you are a wizard, game rules say that you totally can firebomb the inn your party is sleeping in at any moment. Conduct prevents it.

In freeform, you skip straight to the conduct without checking your spell slots.
>>
>>46089279
Woow that's some extreme autism we're dealing with here.
>>
>>46085823
not to change the thread-subject, but this is just way too weird.
One of my friends is named Benny, is very overweight and is a furry. I don't think he's on facebook, but this is a big god damm coincidence
>>
File: Hobbes-Leviathan.jpg (1 MB, 1549x1181) Image search: [Google]
Hobbes-Leviathan.jpg
1 MB, 1549x1181
>During the time players RP without a common ruleset to keep their autism in check, they are in that conditions called freeform roleplay; and such a roleplay, as if of every Mary Sue, against every Mary Sue.

>No creativity; no restraint; no resourcefulness; and which is worst of all, continual egotism, and danger of overwhelming autism: and the life of a player character, solitary, self-absorbed, nasty, autistic and cringeworthy.
>>
>>46085823
It's mostly good for the likes of Richard Fontaine, or James Bond the crab
>>
>>46085823
Like anything in tabletop, it depends on your group.

Got a shit group? RIP in peace, but you'll get full mileage from That Guy threads.
Got a good group? You're relatively set for fun, staying within comfort zones.
Got a fan-fucking-tastic group? You could probably have a good game of freeform.

As an example, I had a pretty fun game of freeform years ago because my then group was almost entirely fucking amazing, and the edgemaster broodlord left a short way in because he chose to sit in a dark corner being all cool and alone for most of the character interactions, and got himself killed trying to nothing personal with necromancy beyond his skillset.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.