[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eldritch knights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: spellsword.png (569 KB, 565x668) Image search: [Google]
spellsword.png
569 KB, 565x668
Hey teeg, what are your favorite martial / caster combinations? They can be spellswords, Eldritch knights, or even simple rogue/sorc or Fighter/wizard blends.
>>
>>46081317
I like 4E Swordmage in theory. Haven't gotten to play one just yet but being able to teleport people around willy-nilly while stabbing people pleases me.
>>
>>46081317
I always found battle-mages fun. I played one in a GURPS game and it was great.
>>
>>46081413

4e swordmage was one of the most fun classes that I played. It was an Eladrin loaded down with support powers and the one class feature that let you grant temp hp to allies. I'd mark an enemy and then bum rush a squishy on the other side of the board. Felt great, DM was super salty about it.

He was running pre made modules and had no idea how to up the difficulty.
>>
Kensai/Mage
>>
File: Sword mage.jpg (37 KB, 550x777) Image search: [Google]
Sword mage.jpg
37 KB, 550x777
I like full on martials that learn spells that make them better at being martials. Like in skyrim, learning oakflesh and other defense raising spells just to compliment your heavy armor. dont have many ttrpg examples though,
>>
>>46081317
I've always likes the concept of a Sorcerer/Monk. Sorcerers are probably my favorite casting class from all the bloodline fluff, and mixing it together with unarmored combat skills seems like a really stylish mix.

Only issue is that it won't blend together in a game very well.
>>
5e swordlock/paladin multiclass.
>>
>>46081317
>>
Not exactly /tg/, but my favorite take on martial-caster hybrids was the Herald of Xotli from Age of Conan. Spellcasters with bigass swords and axes that called upon the powers of an elder god to spit hellfire and transform into demonic beasts.
>>
>>46081578
What I like even more than this is when a pure martial learns magic that has no combat application like divination or creating magical objects.objects. Dont have a lot of good examples off the top of my head
>>
Barbarian Illusionist

>suddenly angry guy with huge axe OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE
>>
>>46081317
Ive always liked the idea of having a huge ass shield to hide behind while you sling spells, like a centurion formation but made up of mages.
>>
>>46082134
Those guy were fuckin sweet. I loved that they wore only cloth armour. Robes and giant weapons are my jam
>>
>>46081989

We got to fight Amilia in her human form, I don't see why they can't give us a bone and let us see/fight Ludwig as well
>>
File: 1457842620761.jpg (120 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1457842620761.jpg
120 KB, 600x600
>>46082309
>fight amelia in human form
>>
>>46082253
Its a shame that you don't see it more often.
>>
>>46081317
I remember one guy who in a epic one shot game built like a wizard 5/Eldritch knight10/Abjurant Champion5/Archmage5/Ur Priest5

I think he like stuck practiced spell caster on the Ur priest later on. Seeing this in action gave me a love for the Eldritch knight/Abjurant Champion combo.

I think spellswords are okay but for some reason I can't really get interested in them. Though a Sorcerer/spellsword combo is fairly fun at the mid levels.
>>
Bards
>>
Warblade
>>
>>46083924
You mean hexblade? Or swordsage? Or Jade Phoenix Mage?
>>
>>46081317
RuneQuest. Literally Gish: the Game.
>>
I prefer my spellswords styled as a mage in armor, who also happens to use a sword.
>>
File: magicalknight.jpg (97 KB, 740x1020) Image search: [Google]
magicalknight.jpg
97 KB, 740x1020
straight weeb magical knight
>>
File: 1429129939341.jpg (451 KB, 1000x1415) Image search: [Google]
1429129939341.jpg
451 KB, 1000x1415
BLOODRAGER
ALL THE FURY ALL THE TIME
SO MAD IT'S MAGICAL
MY HATE IS FUCKING MIRACLES
>>
>>46086032
Gish?
>>
>>46090936
Gish was the title/group name of some rule breaking Githyanki Wizard Fighter Paladins in an old 2E D&D adventure module. The term has since become synonymous in D&D fandom with characters seeking both Martial and Magical prowess in their builds.
>>
>>46081317
For 3.5, I would have to say I am quite partial to Mystic Ranger with Arcane Hunter, Magical Training regional feat for first level, and then Sword of the Arcane Order.

5E I like Bard of Valor and Bladesinger Wizards but have yet to play either.
>>
>>46081578
I like utility spells, that don't directly increase damage but offer an advantage, like Blindness/Deafness or Mirror Image. Access to these spells offers fantastic advantages to melee fighters.
>>
>>46087471
made me giggle
>>
>>46081695
It won't blend well because monks aren't straight up half-casters or 1/3d casters despite most of their features being magic both lore and game-play wise.

Why they aren't just an arcane tradition or a fighter archetype with some spells is beyond me.
>>
>>46091632
I believe they fixed that a bit with qinggon monk, since it is pretty much compatible with any and all other monk archetypes.
>>
>>46081317
I'm just sad EK is Int based instead of letting you choose a casting stat and corresponding spell list.
That'd make spell sword/rune spear/hex axe builds actually viable with every single class.
>>
>>46082332
Hunter's Nightmare, the church hunters you fight before the lift. One wears the same outfit as her, and if you come closer before aggroing them, you hear the same prayer in the same voice. It's basically Amelia. Both prayer at altars that contain skulls too.
>>
>>46081557
This is how 4e swordmages are intended to be played.
>>
The only thing my ideal combo would want from the martial side is the armor but it's the one thing they never want to give you, at least not without significant cost on the magic side.
>>
>>46091693
Except that's a PF monk, and he was talking about 5e monks. Also, even though most of their abilities are straight up spells, a qinggong monk still isn't a spell caster, because they use ki instead of spell slots.
>>
>>46092201
5e finally fixed that, if you're proficient with armor you can cast in it with no penalties.
>>
File: ranger-brigand.jpg (130 KB, 730x1095) Image search: [Google]
ranger-brigand.jpg
130 KB, 730x1095
>>46081317
I actually quite like the archetypal ranger, like the Ithilien Rangers, but who is also good at magic that helps him survive. Like, he knows divination, illusion, and nature magic and can do some basic combat stuff, but he's a professional tactical badass so he doesn't worry about using magic to compliment that.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.