[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: tumblr_mc1wy2fzco1r2bd8io1_500.jpg (103 KB, 500x682) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mc1wy2fzco1r2bd8io1_500.jpg
103 KB, 500x682
>Official /5eg/ Mega trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, SRD, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Community-generated Character Sheet, courtesy of charsheetanon
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5m5afrklabpz5aj/tgCharacterSheet.zip

How's Barovia treating everyone so far?
>>
>>46079655
I just TPK'd my first group in Death House. All died except the tiefling (who had gills) to the ghouls, got back up and died again. Tiefling died from exhaustion, having jumped in the well.

Let them rewind, then they died shortly after to the mimic door. Get to do it to another grou on Saturday.
>>
>>46079789
I nerfed most of the encounters in deathhouse. The players had fun and they never felt like it was too easy.
>>
Does anyone make up prayers and stuff that their Cleric says when healing someone or before they go to battle or anything like that? What are they?
>>
I ran Death House. Everyone died on the way out, Paladin got decapitated by a doorway.
>>
That /5eg/ Discord server is still semi-active if anyone's interested. Good for more real-time homebrew and rules talk, at least.

https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
Anyone save those photos of CoS that based anon uploaded last night?
>>
>>46080250
> too lazy to check the archive
Also, no.
>>
>>46079789
>>46080083
Beautiful.
>>
>>46079789
My party died when they rooted around in the "trash pile"and didnt think to run away
>>
>>46079655
My group managed to escape death house with no one dying. The fighter in our group managed to get a 20 AC before we fought the mound so he was able to tank it while everyone else worked on escaping and pelted it with magic and swords until we escaped and it fell.

Then we had to make a mad dash out of the house after it it became a giant death trap. We basically bashed down every wall in the house in order to avoid the damned door trap. That thing almost killed our paladin, who then fell to poison, but I managed to save him with a potion of healing we found.

Overall, very fun, and we have another CoS adventure planned for tomorrow. Looking forward to it personally.
>>
File: gao.gif (204 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
gao.gif
204 KB, 500x492
You've done it! You've cleared the kobolds out of the mountain, snuck past their traps and killed the dragon. A huge pile of gold lies before you, its splendour only somewhat marred with dragon innards...

How are you going to actually get this treasure home? It must weigh tons and the mountain roads are filled with bandits.
>>
>>46080406
raise the kobolds as zombies and use them to carry the gold for me
>>
>>46080406
Hire the bandits to carry it out for you. Turn them into your very own mercenary band.
>>
>>46080406
> Kobolds
> Mine
> Gold
Daily reminder that Garl Glittergold is the worst.
>>
>>46080455
Now that's good thinking. Be sure to have the strongest in the party lug the dragon's head around to show that you mean fucking business.
>>
>>46080406
Make the cave my base and buy the bandits
>>
So I wanna make a fey-pact bladelock, I figure it should be drow or some other elf. For stats I kinda want to throw a lot in dex so i can get some AC and use mostly finesse weapons, that and Cha would be the main stats, Anything I'm missing or I should account for?
>>
Can anyone with a Twitter account here ask Crawford if the aging effect from the Wild Magic Surge table can be reversed?
>>
>>46080406
Bags of holding. Other magics that allow for inter-dimensional storage. Hire a Goliath mercenary or buy several donkey or war horses and carts. Stuff like that.
>>
Anons, my players might walk into a dungeon, and if they do the wrong thing, awaken 70+ zombies. They're level 8, with a cleric and paladin. How fucked are they?
>>
>>46080250

https://mega.nz/#F!4hxnmbbC!b4VJCYBTKvNN4FJ1zQU2uQ
>>
>>46080564
Oh, and one revenant spellcaster.
>>
>>46080564
Do they also have a ma- >>46080590

Well, they'll probabily be fine then
>>
Anyone else play Ravenloft more as a monster-hunting Castlevania type setting than straight horror? I just don't think you can really scare a guy in a tabletop game, but I think a lot of the players I know leap at the chance to kick a Dracula's ass.
>>
>>46080608

As long as that spell caster has fireball.
>>
>>46080647

I think you can set the mood and if the players let their imaginations go, it can be frightening. But it really takes a lot of buy in.
>>
>>46080608
I should have mentioned the revenant will be a monster, not an ally...in case it wasn't clear. According to the math, it's roughly twice the Deadly value for their level.
>>
Okay /5eg/ I need some help.
My group is doing some really fucked up shit in the kingdom of the rat people in my setting.
How do you stat a Vermin lord from Warhammer in fifth addition.
>>
>>46080564
>>46080590
If the revenant spellcaster in the party or in the zombie hoard? Either way the party should probably be fine since 70 zombies is more of a mild inconvenience for an 8th lvl party than an actual threat. Plus the cleric can easily destroy a fair chunk of them with his destroy undead ability.

Now, believe it or not, 70 kobolds would be much more lethal. Mostly because of ranged combat and advantage on every attack means that the kobolds would hit alot more often and the fight could easily turn into death by 1000 cuts. Not likely but more plausible than the zombies being a legit threat.
>>
>>46080564
Lichway or DFD?
>>
>>46080608
>>46080655

Fairly certain >>46080590 is a bad guy.
>>
>>46080720
Lore-wise, it's a dungeon where a cleric allowed himself to be interred alive to guard a magic item, along with dozens and dozens of volunteer worshipers.

>>46080717
>>46080752
Correct. The Revenant is a bad guy! Should have made that clearer.

>>46080720
Don't get the reference...
>>
>>46080774
The Lichway is a module from White Dwarf 9 (?) where there are a huge number of undead held in stasis by a monster. When the players kill the monster, the undead all rise.

Death Frost Doom is basically the same thing remade for Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
>>
Scan when?
>>
>>46080774
Ah ok then. It won't be that great of a challenge still but the revenant spell caster can sit behind the literal shit-ton of meat-shields and blast the party to death if they play it wrong. This encounter more seems like a test of their cleverness to weave through the hoard and kill the caster fast rather than a test of strength which sounds like a very fun encounter to me personally.
>>
>>46080919

It's not even worth asking anymore. It's not happening. go home.
>>
>>46080933
Upload the schematics of the dungeon. Show where these fights will be. One huge horde is boring AF.
>>
why do you plat 5th edition? what does it have than other edtions/rpgs dont?
>>
>>46080455
>>46080477
>>46080496
How are you going to keep the now-unprotected gold safe while you go do these things? (and why won't bandits betray you?)

>>46080437
This might just work, depending on the local town's assessment of the trustworthiness of a man with a horde of very wealthy zombies.

You've got the gold back to the local small farming town; what now? Where can you store it? Where can you use it?
>>
>>46080919
>>46080986
It's not a question of if. Only when.
>>
>>46080564
Assuming the cleric has just maxed out his wisdom, his Destroy Undead would instantly destroy approximately three quarters of the zombies within range. At 8th level, you can do this twice.

They'll be fine.
>>
>>46081016
hollow out the insides of the kobold zombies and smelt chainmail to their bones. They are now literal walking bags of gold.
>>
>>46081014
Well, it has a distinct lack of ruleset elitism endemic to so many other systems.

Not that you've ever had to worry about that, Anon.
>>
>>46081016
>why won't bandits betray you?
Because the first person who threatens to do so gets their hand swiftly cut off.
>>
>>46081273
> You just killed Opposite Steve! He has a rare mental disorder, making him think every day is Opposite Day.
> Let's kill these adventurers and take their gold!
>>
>>46081300
Good luck killing us. We already killed a fucking dragon.
>>
>>46079915
Pretty generic ones. My character's a cleric of Tempus, so I'll say little prayers like "Tempus protect you" or whatever.
>>
Amazon is annoying me. Apparently my Curse of Strahd book won't arrive until April 15th. What the hell.
>>
>>46080933
This sounds like a job for a monk!!!
>>
Amazon dropped the ball with delivery dates.
>>
Why are all those people talking about shit that is not CoS Scan related? Can you fucking stop and start the begging again?

That said, SCAN WHEN?
>>
>>46081014
I'm starting to hate it, seems to attract the worst kind of GMs, been in five different groups, and each had worse GM than the previous
>>
>>46080406
>not bringing a caravan to a treasure hunt
It's like you don't even want the treasure. Every party must have at least a cart.
>>
Sunday it looks like.
>>
Where do you find people to do this stuff with? All of my friends say DnD is a waste of time (while they ask me why I don't play Battlefield instead).
>>
>>46081520
Roll20.net
>>
>>46081480
> Not recognizing the most common denominator.
>>
>>46081538
Doesn't online play lack consistency?
>>
>>46081520
I met my group because they put up a flier in the local game shop.

That was like 3 years ago.

I also recruited among my friends.

you in college? there might be a club on your campus
>>
>>46081484
Gold is pretty damn heavy, better be a good cart.

How big is a gold piece anyway? Is there any sort of banking system, or do you literally have to lug thousands of gold coins somewhere whenever you want to buy a magic sword?
>>
>>46081622
Offline play can be just as consistent. It's all about the people and tone of the group, not the medium.

The only thing I can say about Roll20 is that there's more shit players and GMs by sheer number because the player pool is bigger than any IRL pool you might run into..
>>
>>46081638
>>46081665
Thanks for the better information, I'll try to expand my search than just among people I know.
>>
>>46081014
>what does it have than other edtions/rpgs dont?
The interest of my gaming group.
>>
>>46081601
>implying it's me
Yep, I'm the one who bans monks because they're op, the one who uses DMPCs that render players useless, the one who gives 1/8 CR creatures action surge, cunning action, reckless attack and extra attack while with cero penalty and without increasing the CR or xp, etc. Sure is me the one who does all of that.
>>
>>46081775
Sounds like you've had a string of bad luck anon. Hang in there!
>>
>>46081775
Memes/10, confirmed never played
>>
I've looked into Tyranny of Dragons, Princes of the Apocalypse, and Out of the Abyss, and I have noticed something. The plots are terrible cliche garbage. There's no way I'm running these things. How is CoS, does it actually have a plot?
>>
>>46082128
Curse of Strahd's plot is basically the same as the original Ravenloft adventure. The party gets trapped in Barovia, and they need to kill Strahd to escape. The greatness of the game lies in all the side little missions, as well as Strahd's backstory. It's not the most original thing in the world, but it's good for what it is. I can clarify more if you'd like.
>>
>46082128

No more than Dracula had a cliche plot since it feels very much the same. Its all about how well the DM plays as Stahd.
>>
>>46082128
>Complaining about Cliches
>D&D is literally 'Cliches: The Tabletop Game'
Are you retarded?
>>
>>46082267

This.
>>
What would you like to see in the next Unearthed Arcana?
>>
>>46082334
Actual content.

Some of the races people wanted in the poll about races a year ago would be nice, though.
>>
>>46080999
>>46080933

They'll actually be assailed in two direction; the revenant from behind--the magic item is in his tomb; its removal triggers the animation of the zombies--and the zombies come from burials at the front of the dungeon.

In addition, if the magic item moves past a certain point in the dungeon, the floor collapses, leading to a 200 foot drop into a subterranean lake filled with a very nasty monster.

I've also set the plot hooks to warn them from going into this direction--I know they're going to, but that's part of the campaign.

>>46081080
That was my assumption, as well, but my players have been known to do odd things before.

>>46081775
No game is better than a bad game, anon. Bail, bail, bail. Wait patiently; it'll happen.
>>
File: Cagliostro.jpg (497 KB, 782x1200) Image search: [Google]
Cagliostro.jpg
497 KB, 782x1200
Clone spell

This clone forms inside as a sealed
vessel and grows to full size and maturity after 120 days; you can also choose to have the clone be a younger version of the same creature.

>>younger version of the same creature.

mfw
>>
>>46082334
The destruction of Israel and pan-arab unity.
>>
>>46082334

Expanded weapons and armor. Or just a few more feats. Both are top on my priorities list.
>>
>>46082267
Just because the races and classes are derived from classic fantasy doesn't mean the settings and stories have to be uninspired and completely predictable.

For fucks sake, the first three official 5e adventures all use "cultists" as villains. Two of the first three adventures start with "So you're guarding a caravan when..." And what do the villians want? Why, to "destroy the world" of course. Its boring.

Look at OSR games like DCC and LotFP. Look at OSR settings like Yoon Suin, Slumbering Ursine Dunes, the Anomalous Subsurface Environment, A Red and Pleasant Land. All of this material is rooted in D&D traditions too, but unlike the official 5e content, this shit is actually interesting and new.
>>
>>46082946
>LotFP
>As an example of non-cliched writing
Here's your (you), anon.
>>
My players keep starting fights, then deciding they don't want to fight them.
Like, on several occasions they've tried to negotiate with an enemy in a hostile situation with absolutely no leverage. I warn them in character every time that the enemy will give them 'X' but if they keep pushing it they're going to get into a fight.
An example:
They tried to negotiate a hostage situation and offered nothing. The hostage-taker told them to back off and leave the building, but they kept walking forward towards him. So he killed a hostage.

All of their 'social' plans have absolutely no thought put into them, if they put on a disguise they just assume it's going to work. If they try to persuade someone, they just roll and ask for what they want.

Also, the rogue keeps trying to shove and grapple people with his 6 str and then gets butthurt when he fails.
>>
>>46083178
Sounds like your players are just stupid.

Can't cure stupid. Can only cure ignorance.
>>
>>46083178
Sounds like they might be happier with a straightfoward dungeon crawling campaign.
>>
>>46083178
Perhaps they are not very creative people or they come from a system oriented mindset. The game is designed around set rules and mechanics. If the players want to wear a disguise the rules state the player makes a Charisma (Deception) check. The rules do not explicitly state that the player has to role play the disguise, that is something that you as a DM would desire, unless you claim Rule Zero (GTFO).

I have no idea what a Wisdom of 20, an Intelligence of 20, a Dexterity of 20, a Charisma of 20, a Constitution of 20, or a Strength of 20 would look like in the real world. Nor do you. Nor do you know what those related skill checks would look like. Your posting on 4chan, come on now.

Now if you as a DM desire more role play you can give advantage for the player if they are creative, or auto-pass them. Do not penalize them because YOU are not creative enough to deal with it.

There are limits, but they do not seem to be hitting those limits by your example.
>>
>>46083651
I do give them advantage if they come up with a clever idea or get a good roll on a not-so-clever idea. I like the idea of dumb luck and thinking outside the box.

I'm just struggling to find ways to make obviously bad ideas backfire without seeming like I'm railroading them into the "accepted" ways of doing things. Like when they fail their negotiations some of them will claim that I always planned for that to happen.
After the last session I just sent them all the PHB and told them which parts to read, because despite most of them already having it I know none of them have read it.
>>
I need a good map for an adult green dragon's den. Anybody got a good link for one?
>>
>>46083849
see
>>46083641

Forget espionage, forget gathering information, forget exploration. Have a bunch of gnolls come out of fucking nowhere and start raiding the town, and when they beat the gnolls to a pulp have one of them carry a bounty notice on them that has a payment site listed on it. Have them go to the payment site, interrogate that dude, who leads them to a different part of the world. In between, throw in a shit-ton of random encounters. These guys don't care about role-playing, they only care about being tough for once in their life, and by stifling their ability to blow things up or HULK SMASH shit up, you're not going to get anywhere.

They're a dud group. Don't penalize them for being duds if you can't exchange them.
>>
>>46083951
I don't know what's worse, not being able to DM or having to DM the plot of a typical shounen.
>>
File: 1454571339088.jpg (33 KB, 313x762) Image search: [Google]
1454571339088.jpg
33 KB, 313x762
Almost all of the lycanthropy forms are easy for me to visualize my LG character contracting, but i'm struggling with an idea on how he might contract the werebear strain of it.

Seeing as how they're good creatures, and probably not keen on sharing their curse with others even if they're willing, and i'm not keen on attacking another good creature if I can avoid it.
>>
>>46082582
Muh nigga
>>
>>46084066
Have sex with one without protection.
>>
>>46084066
An evil dickhead gets a bunch of lycanthrope blood, decides to infect the local inn's kegs of ale. Unbenownst to him, some of it was werebear blood, which happened to infect you. Meanwhile, the other patrons are turning into wererats/wolves/sealions/ect, and it's a huge mess.
>>
>>46083949
uh sure use the map of Chuths lair in the mega under the Dragon Queen maps. Chuth is an adult green dragon. (He also has a badass title the Emerald Assassin. )
>>
>>46084113
so i'm supposed to go find some werebear sugar momma and fall into that ass for that virus? this sounds like a bad plan anon.

>>46084120
>sealions
i'd be pissed
>>
>>46084234
>so i'm supposed to go find some werebear sugar momma and fall into that ass for that virus? this sounds like a bad plan anon.
There are people who do it in real life with HIV. Is lycanthropy really any worse?
>>
>>46084234
Are you telling me you don't want to bang a woman who could crush your head when her thighs lock around your ears?
>>
>>46082267
>>46082333
tell me again, why are you in 5eg?
>>
File: 1444441994455.jpg (26 KB, 510x476) Image search: [Google]
1444441994455.jpg
26 KB, 510x476
>>46084120
>everyone around me is turning into a badass werebeast
>bears, tigers, giant rats, wolves, and even fucking boars
>realize i'm going to turn too
>start to get a little bit excited
>turn into a fucking sealion
>fall to the floor
>>
>>46084276
Dangerous proposition, considering that every werebear attack has a good chance of insta-gibbing commoners ^-^
>>
>>46084335
You forgot about the ravens!!! The new form from CoS
>>
>>46084343
Just have a high linguist skill ;^)
>>
File: 2013060.jpg (95 KB, 327x600) Image search: [Google]
2013060.jpg
95 KB, 327x600
>>46084276
I retract my previous statement.
>>
>>46081014

Comparing it to other editions of D&D, it's more that it's not awful in the ways that other editions are. It doesn't have the enormous list of zomg suepr rad powers that 4e has. It doesn't have the ridiculous amount of crunch and bloated catalog of splat books that 3e/PF has. It doesn't exist just to screw Gygax out of royalties, like 2e did. It doesn't have the wonky list of different subsystems all working in different ways that 1e did.

Comparing it to other fantasy rpgs out there, it doesn't make my dick quite as hard as Warhammer 2e. Unfortunately, my players aren't as interested in being rat catchers as they are in being Paladins with holy avenger swords. Dungeon World wants the GM to be making the world as they go along, but I'm more of a high-prep GM and like to have most of the world they'll be interacting with set down ahead of time. Fantasy Craft looked at 3e and decided it needed even more rules, which is the exact opposite direction from where I'd want to go. Warrior, Rogue and Mage, Old-School Hack, and other rules-lite games don't scratch my players' itch to make 'builds'—most of them have played 3e/PF for many years and enjoy that sort of theorycrafting nonsense. I'd run Sword World or Meikyuu Kingdom, but none of my players can read Japanese well enough to make that feasible, and I'm damned sure not going to translate an entire RPG just for one campaign. Basically the same story for Das Schwarze Auge, except that we live in Japan and not Germany, so absolutely none of us can read the thing, myself included.

Comparing it to RPGs outside the high fantasy genre, it's really nothing special. But right now old-school modules are my thing, so D&D5e is what I'm running. When I want to do something else, I'll run a campaign with that. Probably Noumenon will be next, or maybe one of the many Cthulhu Mythos games.
>>
>>46084205
Is that in Rise of Tiamat? That's the one 5e module I didn't run, because Part 1 and 2 are shit...
>>
>>46084456
Isn't the latest edition of The Dark Eye going to have an english release?
>>
>>46084495

That's what I hear. I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out.
>>
>>46084467
Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Rise of Tiamat's prequel.
>>
>>46084467
Yeah it's a Tiamat map. Part 2 is actully pretty good by my veiws. (I also think the first part is ok.)

But if you have not run it then nothing is stopping you from using a map from it.
>>
>>46084544
No it's in Rise of Tiamat. But that was my fault for saying Dragon queen.
>>
>>46084335

I was about to say that sea lions aren't that bad, then I realized I was thinking of Leopard Seals... So... At least you're not an elephant seal?
>>
>>46084588
It's cool, I found it. Not as complicated as I'd like, but should work for my purposes. It'll be a while before they encounter her anyway.
>>
>>46084548
>Part 2 is actully pretty good by my veiws. (I also think the first part is ok.)
I mean, you're wrong. I only point that out though so that you don't mislead people into getting/playing it. If you figured out a way to have fun with it, more power to you though.
>>
>>46084456
>It doesn't exist just to screw Gygax out of royalties, like 2e did.
I don't see why that would still make you not play that edition now that Gygax is dead. He's not getting any royalties for anything now.
>Probably Noumenon will be next
>actually running Noumenon
Are you a unicorn?
>>
>>46084673
Oh, I read it when it came out, since I worked at a bookstore at the time (fuck I miss that job). Laughed at the entire thing, since it's so shit. I played it for a while, since that was the only game I could find. DM was awesome, but the adventure was crap.

IMO; if you get it for free, it's not bad having it around to steal from.

Don't pay even amazon's price for it, though. To make it good, you'd basically have to rewrite the thing from scratch.
>>
>>46084673
I have had too man issues with it and had fun runing it for my group who also enjoyed it.

I know Hoard is not to good by any means but I do think people are overly hard on it. Still it's not for everyone.

Rise of Tiamat however is perfectly decent.
>>
>>46080564
Cleric casts destroy undead ggwp zombies
>>
>>46082946
Boring people tell boring stories anon.
>>
>>46084685

More like I don't see any reason to play 2e over 1e or BECMI. The fluff was incredible, but the crunch isn't all that great. It started the whole "rule for everything" pattern that really peaked with 3.5. I'd definitely rather play 2e than 3e, but I'd just cut out an awful lot of the optional rules and homebrew solutions for things players want to do.

Noumenon is amazing and I'd totally run it. I'm a massive Jorge Luis Borges fan, how could I not love it?
>>
>>46084359
There's a ton of ridiculous lycanthropes in AD&D to pull from. Those were just off the top of my head.
>>
>>46085029
>Noumenon is amazing and I'd totally run it. I'm a massive Jorge Luis Borges fan, how could I not love it?
I'm not saying that you shouldn't. Just that it seems fucking impossible to find anybody who'll run it near me or online.
>>
File: 5e fags WILL defend this.png (56 KB, 714x205) Image search: [Google]
5e fags WILL defend this.png
56 KB, 714x205
>>
>>46085048
I thought you were referring to the ones currently stat-ed out in 5e (which would explain why those were the first you thought of!)
>>
>>46085074_(You)
>>
>>46085048
For example: Were-raccoon, were-possum, were-weasel. There's some really silly shit from AD&D. Ravenloft has some really neat unique monsters though, like the greater Animator, or the fleas of madness.
>>
>>46085074
>Once again posting EveryThreadUntilYouLikeIt.jpeg
>>
File: 1412127474975.jpg (24 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1412127474975.jpg
24 KB, 400x462
>>46085074
>old memes
>>
>>46085029
I must be super out of the loop...wtf is Noumenon?
>>
>>46085074
>guaranteed replies
>>
File: 1366578662696.png (129 KB, 640x683) Image search: [Google]
1366578662696.png
129 KB, 640x683
>>46085299
That's 3!
>>
>>46084456
Where in Japland are you at, anon? I'm stationed over here.
>>
File: Simpler times.jpg (66 KB, 730x260) Image search: [Google]
Simpler times.jpg
66 KB, 730x260
>>46085074
Could be worse
>>
>>46079915
I had a DM once that required verbal gibberish from players when their character casted a spell with verbal components. Does that count?
>>
>>46085294
It's a heavily symbolic RPG where you play as a bug-person with no memory and no name in a house that may or may not be the afterlife.
>>
Yo /tg/ I'm brand new to DnD. I've played a bit of Rouge Trader but other than that I'm also new to table top. Any basics I should know?
>>
>>46085401
never dm it will give you depression
>>
>>46085422
Noted.
>>
>>46085401
games with a bit of RP are much better than games with none, games with too much RP are much worse than games with none.
>>
File: my torch has burnt out.jpg (62 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
my torch has burnt out.jpg
62 KB, 450x450
>>46085422
Joke's on you, I had depression before I started DMing!
>>
File: 1421459093840.jpg (139 KB, 1024x942) Image search: [Google]
1421459093840.jpg
139 KB, 1024x942
>>46085462
I'm so sorry brosif
>>
>>46085401
When in doubt, stab everything!!!
>>
What's so depressing about DMing? I haven't DMd 5e but I've DMd good systems and that was fun.
>>
My party ran through death house with minimal injury while occasionally complaining about its ease.

You guys need luckier powergamey-er players.
>>
>>46085354
Those weapons all have different stats though
>>
>>46085511
I imagine it comes from player incompetence or general PC railroading of the story. I'd be pretty bummed if my planned campaign got derailed by some bullshittery.
>>
File: rage.gif (960 KB, 300x403) Image search: [Google]
rage.gif
960 KB, 300x403
goddamnit I want to run curse of strahd but my players won't shut the fuck up about making it more like bloodborne
>>
>>46085551
>planning
C'mon step it up
>>
>>46085511
Sometimes you just wanna be on the other side of the screen
>>
>>46084066
>Werebears are powerful lycanthropes with the ability to temper their monstrous natures and reject their violent impulses. In humanoid form, they are large, muscular,and covered in hair matching the color of their ursine form's fur. A were bear is a loner by nature, fearing what might happen to innocent creatures around it when its bestial nature takes over.

the last line implies they can still lose control and maul innocents. Being Neutral good just means they feel super bad about it.
>>
Does Purify Food and Drink effectively keep food from ever spoiling? The spell removes poison and disease, but food spoils because of bacterial growth, which is neither of those things. Or am I just being too autistic.
>>
>>46085511
For me is finding someone that is obsessed with ttrpg like me, i have read about 9 different systems this week just to find the one, cant seem to find it. my players just like 5e and its not bad but you know the grass is greener on the other side and that shit
>>
>>46085593
Oh I know, I'm foreverDM forever. But once you realize a DM can do everything a player can do and more, it can be fun. I still dream of playing, but there is happiness in DMing too.
>>46085602
Have you tried Fantasy Craft? It's so good that I shill it for free.
>>
>>46085602
why not just homebrew in some things you like from other games? in a basic way, not like, rewriting the phb way
>>
>>46085544
I think that's the point. He is stating that the simplified weapon chart of 5e is still preferable to the mess that existed in 1e.
>>
>>46085653
But the different stats make things more interesting
>>
>>46085653
He's wrong as fuck too.
>>
>>46085597
In D&D worlds, food spoils because of an arrangement between the god of nourishment and the god of decay. Or something.
>>
>>46085653
>>46085662
I think the point is that none of the weapons on the mess chart are the e x a c t same. Sure, it's a garbled shitheap, but at least there is variation.
>>
>>46085662
But looking every weapon up on a several-page table for every attack (because they do different damage depending on what type of armor the victim has) is annoying.
>>
>>46085597
how else would food be "diseased"?
>>
>>46085708
True as well. But halberds and glaives bro.
>>
>>46085662
Agreed. I would like more variation than 5e gives, but it is better than un-readable gobbledygook. What we really need is a happy medium.
>>
>>46085074
Here, I'll fix it for you.

New property: Brutal (dice are explosive on max roll)

Spear: 1d6/1d8
Trident:1d8/1d10
Pilum:1d8, thrown 20/60, brutal
Pike:1d10, brutal
Longsword: 2d4/1d10
Battle-axe: 1d8/versatile (1d10 brutal)
Warhammer: "
Flail: 1d8, brutal
Morningstar: 1d8 brutal
Warpick: 2d4
Mace: 1d6 brutal
Light hammer: 1d4 brutal
Quarterstaff: 1d4/2d4
Greatclub: 1d8 brutal
Halberd/Glaive: 1d10 brutal
Great sword: Same
Greataxe/maul: 1d12 brutal

All other properties stay the same.

Bonus new simples:

Billhook: 1d6 slashing, reach, heavy, two-handed, brutal, polearm
Scythe: 2d4 heavy, two-handed, polearm
>>
File: blunt weapons table.png (115 KB, 1035x857) Image search: [Google]
blunt weapons table.png
115 KB, 1035x857
>>46085738
I always feel bad about shilling in threads about different games, but do you think this weapons system would be good imported to 5e? This is blunt, there is also edged, hurled, bows, black powder, and siege.
>>
>>46085597
I would say yes.
>>
>>46085812
It's definitely better. More variation than 5e, but easier to keep track of than 1e.
>>
>>46080801
Isn't White Dwarf the Warhammer Magazine?
>>
>>46085597

I would say that it restores spoiled food to edibility, but not permanently. More bacteria and mold would collect on it eventually.
>>
>>46085812
What is this from, it look like RuneQuest with stupid shit tossed in.
>>
>>46085572
So you don't want to add Far Realm shenanigans infecting the Plane of Dread?
>>
>>46085622
is it 3.5 with more rules?
>>
>>46085572

>bloodborne

Jesus christ, kids don't even know about castlevania anymore, do they?

Fuck this new generation.

(That being said, the 3.5 version of castle ravenloft actually did have a 'le epin cthulhu aliens' plotline)
>>
>>46086007
Yes, don't let anyone lie to you and tell you otherwise.
>>
File: fc1.jpg (124 KB, 1030x638) Image search: [Google]
fc1.jpg
124 KB, 1030x638
>>46086007
3.5 with all the shit rules taken out, good rules added in, and balanced. Y'know the tier system that was made to organize classes in the 3.5 days? In FC, everyone is tier 3. Great at what they do, okay at other things.
>>
>>46086061
isnt this what PF is?
>>
>>46086092
In a word?

"No."
>>
>>46086092
PF is 3.5 with all the shit rules taken out then added back in, where casters still shit on everybody and martials have nothing to do but full attack.
>>
>>46086061
tell me a good rule in BF, i might give it a try when my players involve themselves in a TPK
>>
>>46086092
PF a literal bad copy/paste of 3.5, but with new shit subsystems, more caster supremacy, and a design team dedicated to nerfing the shit out of martials down to changing 3.5 rulings on the same word-for-word OGL feats to be worse (and SKR typically said it was always that way in 3.5 despite it being a lie).
>>
>>46086107
Where the only reason mages haven't taken over the world is that they must periodically be cleansed by an envious, non-magical population. Either that or they manage to kill each other off (very likely, if they are anything like some PCs I've seen...).
>>
>>46086152
Skills are used frequently in combat for a wide variety of worthwhile maneuvers.
Proficiencies are chosen by the player. Mages for instance get 2, while Soldiers get 6 (both at level 1). Proficiencies are divided by weapon type (ie: blunt, edged, bows) which removes the unnecessary martial/simple split. A second proficiency in a category gets you the exotic weapons and a +1 bonus. Extra proficiencies can be spent on tricks, which are like the 5e fighter's maneuvers.
Each weapon type on that table (ie: whips, flails) has a feat chain associated with them, making a significant difference in how different weapon users play.
>>
>>46085364
...........that doesn't sound fun at all..........
>>
I'm working out an idea for a homebrew magic item type (like a wand or a staff) that is essentially a magic automaton. Requires attunement by a spellcaster, and requires that the attuned spellcaster feed it spell slots in order to activate it. Automatons have abilities that can be used by consuming energy, causing them to deactivate sooner, but otherwise act in a similar manner to skeletons or elementals where they follow orders and do nothing but defend themselves when they have not been given an order. After a period of time the automaton deactivates unless it is fed more energy from its spellcaster.

I'm intending them to be like golems, but smaller and more utility focused rather than combat focused. i.e. a Tiny humanoid with skeleton key for a left hand. Can consume 2 hour's worth of energy to replicate the Knock spell without making any noise.

Does this sound like an interesting idea? Would you consider it at your table?
>>
>>46086251
would you say is it easier to learn compared to 3.5? how deadly is it? how is high level play?

pls 5eg dont kick i am a little sad, will go to the general after this question
>>
>>46086331
Less deadly I'd say, there's a cool (optional) system for cheating death if a character dies in a shitty way. Characters grow more horizontally than vertically, in that rather than having insane health and damage you have tons of options and tricks, so high level play is pretty fun.
The rule book is laid out pretty poorly so it can be tricky to pick up, but the rules all mesh together really well and it's simple when you get down to it. One thing I really like is that the action economy is two actions of any kind instead of D&Ds "one move, one bonus, one attack". You can move twice or attack twice or one of each or whatever. Oh and magic isn't spells per day paperwork and is really easy to learn and use.

Sorry for derailing 5efags.
>>
>>46086399
thank you, i will look forward to learn another rulebook and hope to play it one day
>>
>>46086427
Good luck.
>>
>>46080919

one of the scan bros said he's working on it. He posted 20 pages yesterday.

https://mega.nz/#F!4hxnmbbC!b4VJCYBTKvNN4FJ1zQU2uQ
>>
>>46081645
It says in the PHB that 50 coins weigh 1 pound, so not that much. It also says that transactions that require many coins don't actually use them, they use trade bars, letters of credit, or other goods
>>
>>46081645
Why would there be a banking system to support the handful of people who are in a position to be trading/selling/gifting magic swords?

Anyhow, I personally just bumped everything down a step so anything listed in pp is actually valued in gp, gp in sp, sp in cp. Because historically none of my players could be assed to give a shit about any quantity of copper coins when they can buy so little in RAW
>>
>>46086527
this seems really light. so 0.02 pounds per coin, or about 9 grams. usa half dollar coins that are about 90% silver weigh about 12 grams. the american silver eagle (99.9something% silver) is a bit bigger and weighs about 31 grams.

idk maybe that makes sense. i just always pictured d&d coins as being pretty big.

i know this doesnt matter in a make believe game.
>>
>>46085724
Poison. Somebody threw up on it.
>>
>>46086669
In my more evil, grim moments, I toy with the idea of making my players keep track of the individual weight of their loot.

Not often, but sometimes.
>>
>>46086669
I think it's less realism, and more the ability to carry enough money to actually buy things you might want past character creation. It's somewhat awkward to insist on non-coin payments from PCs who travel, and the value of items fluctuates wildly from reality.
>>
File: 1455511196747.jpg (42 KB, 495x636) Image search: [Google]
1455511196747.jpg
42 KB, 495x636
>>46086723
>tfw the DM knows Harkos can life 480 lbs so he makes all the enemies Harkos tries to throw 500
>>
File: 1268122024444.jpg (18 KB, 314x277) Image search: [Google]
1268122024444.jpg
18 KB, 314x277
so, /5eg/.
I went AT rogue for my OotA campaign, and I'm regretting it now.

due to many shenanigans, I went from 6th level to 9th level in one session.
Is there anything I can start multiclassing in after 7th or 8th that would be good? I'm not particularly fond of trying to get all the way to 13th versatile trickster and finally 3rd level spells, or even 9th for magical ambush. Reliable talent sounds really nice, but that would require 3-4 levels in the class with relatively nothing else gained.
If I had gone assassin, I would be going full ninja shadow monk right about now, but I highly doubt the DM would let me change archetypes after being an AT for 3 levels.

I'm open to dips, or just the full 12-13 levels as a different class.
>>
So my favorite lovelies, I know CoS is a rendition of the classic and original Ravenloft setting, and only encompasses Barovia, but what if I want to somehow inject the rest of the newer AD&D Ravenloft setting into an already in-progress adventure? I want to inject the whole shebang into the current land that is around Barovia, the whole Lands of the Core and the Islands of Terror.

After Strahd is defeated, could I say 'for some reason' the world around them only expands? perhaps it's the Dark Powers's unwilling response to Strahds defeat? A sort of merging of many pocket Planes of Dread?
Help me make this a little less cheesy sounding /5eg/, preferably within the laws that AD&D 2e Ravenloft provides.
>>
>>46086265
You very much have to have the right type of group with a heavily creative GM, and even then it's not something you want to play regularly forever, but when those conditions are met, it can be really cool in a trippy-as-fuck way for a campaign lasting one to ten sessions.
>>
>>46086774
>6th level to 9th level in one session

Either you took a shit ton of "home base truck stops" after 30 minutes spergs of hack n' slash, or your DM foolishly allows experience points earned on one level add to the next one's progress..
>>
>>46086774
i mean i would just tell your dm you don't like being an AT and can you make a new character

if you multi its probably best to either go fighter for that sweet sweet archery style, or wizard because its also an int based caster.

you could also start going shadow monk, assassinate doesnt really synergize with shadow monks especially better than what other rogues get. shadow monk mostly just synergizes with regular sneak attack.
>>
>>46086669
It's possible that Toril is a smaller planet than Earth, and thus has less gravitational pull?
>>
>>46086749
I don't think it'd be too difficult to have a little of both. Maybe you could make it possible to have trade unions to visit and exchange vast numbers of coins for the appropriate sized bars, or have a simple banking system to allow players to write letters of credit if there is a particularly obnoxious NPC who doesn't accept 1500 individual coins for a suit of armor
>>
>>46086669
I would think that even if they're called gold coins they are only part gold like most coins irl. 24 carat coins would get deformed by handling if they're thin enough as well.
>>
>>46086774
What's so bad about going full Rogue?

OOTA goes to level 15 so with full Rogue you end up with proficiency in Wisdom saves, 8d6 sneak attack damage, blindsense, Reliable Talent, plus spells and advantage every turn (if you weren't using a familiar for it).

Bar maybe MCing Wizard after level 9, and thus ending up a level 7 caster overall and so getting a 4th level spell slot with no 4th level spells to cast, I can't see the benefit. Maybe you could go Wizard right now and end up an 11th level caster, that'd net you 5th level spells and a 6th level spell slot but you'd miss out on Evasion, a few ASIs and Reliable Talent.

If you disregard spellcasting level and go to 8 Rogue you could take a dip into Fighter for a fighting style? 2 for Action Surge isn't bad but it doesn't get you more sneak attack so I dunno if I'd bother personally. Going Ranger would mix your casting stats so I wouldn't recommend it but Colossus Slayer is an extra d8 once/turn to add to your sneak attacks.
>>
So. Uh.
I made a PC to try to learn the system, and he's carrying more weight in equipment at creation than he can actually carry. What exactly do I do about that? Do I pick what to not have? Do I just ignore it?
>>
Will probably finish Death House tomorrow so the group will move onto CoS

With the deck readings. Man, some of Strahd's enemies are not created equal. You can get Van Richten, Mordenkainen, etc... or you can get a Vistani commoner with 2 hit. So Harsh!
>>
>>46086927
How low is your strength?
>>
>>46086927
Tell me more, tell me more
>>
>>46086943
>>46086954
8. I made a gnome wizard. Strength is his lowstat because wizard.
>>
>>46086967
What's adding all that weight? Wizards aren't equipment dependent in the least.
>>
>>46086967
And his equipment?
>>
>>46086923
>>46086984
He has the Wizard equipment and the Hermit equipment, and I think it's the stuff in the explorer's pack and that scroll case mostly that are weighing him down.
>>
>>46087019
You didn't lower your capacity due to size, right? Because if you did you made a mistake, only Tiny and smaller gets penalties.
>>
>>46086855
>>46086905
well idk a 200 BCE roman denarius was 95% or more silver so says wikipedia, and weighed 4 grams, plus or minus a bit, so half of what a silver piece weighs, about in d&d, and that was 19mm in diameter, smaller than a modern day quarter (roughly 23 mm across).

so that was pretty small, and also all silver.

europeans also even used all silver coins (well, as pure as they could get all silver) even into say the 1500s so says wikipedia. and for example a Charlemagne new penny says wiki is 95-96% silver and weighs 1.7 grams, so thats about what a d&d silver piece is. and i think thats supposed to be 20mm about across.

do what you will with this shoddily researched information.
>>
>>46087040
Yeah, I might have screwed up.
>>
File: Hobbes is happy.jpg (22 KB, 149x310) Image search: [Google]
Hobbes is happy.jpg
22 KB, 149x310
>>46086831
He basically threw absurdly powerful shit at us that there's no way we should have won but did because magical items and constant crits are bullshit. I literally just started 6th level. This campaign is weird. I don't think we've even gotten to short rest once, it's all basically been long rests between sessions. The warlock and fighters are getting twitchy.
>>46086854
I might. I'll ask him. I really do like playing a rogue, I just realized I dislike "mage hand and maybe an illusion spell or two" the archetype.
>>46086923
it goes to 15? huh. thought it might end at 13 or something.
I'd be MCing wizard or any other class after 7 or 8, I don't see the point in going to 9.
I'm not missing out on evasion, that shit's too good.

Colossus slayer+fighting style is something to think about, we are consistently fighting big fucking demons or other large monsters at this point. Thanks. Didn't really think of ranger. I'd consider fighter if we didn't already have 2 in the party, one of which who put one level into rogue for some reason.
>>
>>46087057
Yeah, tiny dudes halve it but small dudes are just as good as mediums at lifting.
>>
>>46087073
>I might. I'll ask him. I really do like playing a rogue, I just realized I dislike "mage hand and maybe an illusion spell or two" the archetype.
yeah its never appealed to me. my rogue is a thief. i highly recommend it.
>>
>>46087019
Are you using normal encumbrance rules or the alternate encumbrance rules? With the normal rules you should be relatively fine. 8 X 15 is 120 ibs. the wizard starting gear shouldn't be that heavy.
>>
>>46087085
>use magic device
He's got some fixation on having really good items be alignment locked (stuck on earlier editions, I guess)
but could one argue that UMD gets around that and that the just didn't want/expect people to alignment lock stuff?
Cause I might ask him about switching to that if so. I haven't cast anything in 3 sessions outside booming blade or GFB.
>>
>>46087135
>I haven't cast anything in 3 sessions outside booming blade or GFB.
this is why rogues have magic initiate
>>
>>46087173
yeah. If I do manage to go pure thief, I'm 100% giving up an ASI for that.
>>
Charsheet anon here, have some time to kill. Anyone have any special snowflake character sheet layouts they want? As long as it doesn't involve a ton of work, I can spit out a one-off for you.
>>
>>46087223
You could do class specific sheets. Start with Barbarian and go all the way down the line. Most would be the same except for some sections that are specific for class abilities and stuff.

Or do class specific spell list sheets.
>>
File: p1v4.jpg (201 KB, 783x1013) Image search: [Google]
p1v4.jpg
201 KB, 783x1013
ok /tg/ i think i pretty much finished this OC homebrew race. they are aquatic merchantile cosmopolitan skill race that replaces the half elves in my campaign.

i made a thread yesterday and added some things that people suggested. it might be done. only thing i need is an opening quote like the ones in the PHB. i think the quote should involve something about the unknowable horrors of the deep.

what do you think?
does anything need to be added?
any writefags have ideas on what to make for the opening quote?
>>
File: p2v4.jpg (212 KB, 782x1014) Image search: [Google]
p2v4.jpg
212 KB, 782x1014
>>46087298
i wish this chan allowed multiple images in one post
>>
File: p3v4.jpg (214 KB, 781x1011) Image search: [Google]
p3v4.jpg
214 KB, 781x1011
>>46087298
>>
>>46087247
Would you do a page for psionic disciplines (as opposed to spells) please?
>>
>>46087314
>>46087298
>wht is a pdf
>>
File: p4v4.jpg (189 KB, 782x1011) Image search: [Google]
p4v4.jpg
189 KB, 782x1011
>>46087332
>>46087338
is it possible to post PDFs on 4chan?
>>
>>46087356
Maybe.
>>
File: p5v4.jpg (194 KB, 784x1012) Image search: [Google]
p5v4.jpg
194 KB, 784x1012
>>46087356
>>
>>46087356
Hello, newfriend. Welcome to /tg/! Here we literally quite literally have pdf share threads about once a day.
>>
File: shadow knows.jpg (64 KB, 402x277) Image search: [Google]
shadow knows.jpg
64 KB, 402x277
>>46087356
dude
>>
>>46087090
I've still found encumbrance to be a bit of a bitch with starting gear; I think my Str17 PC (highest unless the barbarian lucks out when he builds his char) is the only one not HUGELY troubled, and I'm still boned if we use the advanced encumbrance rules.

Explorer's packs are 59lb straight away. All those damn unnecessary torches and arguably rations.
>>
File: Thalassian.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Thalassian.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46087369
sweet, here is a PDF then
>>
Anons, will you help me build a character? Let's start with a name?
>>
>>46087396
its been several years since ive been on this chan. when did they start allowing PDFs?
>>
>>46087421
Jester.
>>
>>46087421
Doyerown Homwerk
>>
>>46087432
Ok...Jester

roll me a d8 for class?
>>
>>46087421
Tyler Do'Urdenn.
>>
>>46087448
but there are 12 classes
>>
>>46087421

Cockswelter Nugblum.
>>
>>46087448
No.

You're a Barbarian.
>>
>>46087421
Xnamesme, thats a great name.
>>
>>46087463
Ok. Jester the Barbarian.

Roll for level?
>>
>CoS under Humor
>when a hero, villain or monster rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, describe a humorous mishap that occurs as a result of the low roll

FUCK YOU WOTC FOR PERPETUATING NATURAL 1 ON SKILL CHECK BULLSHIT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>46087487
>rolling for level
you'll start at level one and like it, anon.
>>
Rolled 20 (1d20)

>>46087487
>>
File: panic.jpg (60 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
panic.jpg
60 KB, 600x600
>>46087504
o-oh
>>
File: 123905412391.png (220 KB, 736x502) Image search: [Google]
123905412391.png
220 KB, 736x502
>>46087504
>>
>>46087504
Jester the Barbarian
Level 20

multiclass?
>>
>>46086787
anyone mind helping a brother out?
>>
>>46087512
Get on it, faggot.
>>
>>46087522
Become a savage technologist.
>>
>>46087522
Yup.

Barbarian 4. Bard 4, Fighter 4, Monk 4, Ranger 4.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.