[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about tabletop that is so appealing for women, that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: 1456884128476.jpg (118 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1456884128476.jpg
118 KB, 800x600
What is it about tabletop that is so appealing for women, that makes them stick with it longer than other "nerd hobbies" like comicbooks and videogames?
>>
>>46075813
The attention of being some of the few women in that particular clique, and the appeal of fantasy allowing them to live out their desires.
>>
Woman table top gamers?

THIS IS NOW AN ERP THREAD
>>
board games

but the actual nerdy tabletop shit isn't exactly what I'd call a chick magnet.
>>
That table looks really smelly and obnoxious.
>>
>>46075813
>shitty DM screen
>carbonated jew
>not a d100 system
i can feel the casual from here
>>
>>46075813
Probably because the men who play tabletop are both charming and ruggedly handsome.
>>
>>46075813
It isn't more appealing, it's less appealing. It requires more effort to get into, so the only ones who do are doing it because they actually are interested instead of just caring about the hobby as a fad. That's why they're more likely to stick with it.
>>
>>46076644
And I can hear you reeing from there.
Scratch that, I can smell you reeing from there.
Good god.
>>
>>46075813
1: It's cooperative, not competitive.
2: It's social
3: Escapism.
4: you generally play it with friends and plan it in advance, it's not like going to the store and squaring off with a smelly social retard for a game of MtG.

In short, it ticks off all the boxes that war-gaming or card games don't. They'll run off real fast when they meet their first "system mastery" neckbeard though.
>>
>>46075813
They don't. Your premise is false.
>>
>>46075813
Cool mirror trick
>>
Adventures are fun and it's easy to hide your powerlevel
>>
File: mahboisheev.jpg (189 KB, 1529x1200) Image search: [Google]
mahboisheev.jpg
189 KB, 1529x1200
>>46076657
>>
They like the attention they get from thirsty betas.
>>
>>46075813
>like comicbooks
Most comics are awful AND overpriced. Dropping them quickly isn't exclusive to women.
>>
File: 1456685195474.jpg (51 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1456685195474.jpg
51 KB, 680x680
>>46079293
I'd fuck him. It's not homo if the balls don't touch, right?
>>
>>46079403
>>
>>46075813
I dont need to see more than the dr. Pepper to know id have a good time there.
>>
>>46076886
this
>>
Maybe it's the wish fulfillment. For example, I've always wanted to have telekinesis, now I'm playing in a capes game where my character has extremely strong telekinesis.
>>
>>46076886
To be fair, everyone faces that moment of terror on their first encounter.
>>
I wish I could get more than 4 total people together for game night. Also, is she wearing dice jewelry?
>>
File: 1455925086875.png (164 KB, 646x448) Image search: [Google]
1455925086875.png
164 KB, 646x448
>hipster culture has made it cool so it's no longer associated solely with geeks and losers
>attention
>casual pastime that doesn't take much effort to enjoy if you pick the right games
>social atmosphere
>can make it as fluffy as you want if it's RPing
>can engage in magical realm

It's like cosplaying without bothering with the game. Or playing the equivalent of tabletop candy crush saga with friends. Anything that requires skill and determination or a minimal amount of competency to compete successfully tends to weed females out more quickly.

Can't say much about comics though. It's a shit hobby anyway, maybe they sense that
>>
>>46080362
>they don't have fun the way I have fun, they're wrong
Whiny faggot detected.
>>
>>46080362
>pic
That is actually more or less reasonable.
She at least played it, and played it enough to like it, even if she never finished it.

Maybe she's just bullshitting, and doesn't deserve the credit I give her, but as long as you play the game and have fun playing it, it's fine, in my opinion.
>m-muh casuals giving money to talentless developers and killing the game industry

Yeah, that is a problem, because a casual player isn't as likely to spend as much time on learning a game as a hardcore gamer, and thus, he might be unable to discern a mediocre game from a good game.
That doesn't mean that casuals are bad players. If anything, they allow you to test your product, because they aren't as likely to deal with your incompetence as a developer, and thus, make for excellent playtesters.

The only reasonable solution to the problem above is, well, make better casual games, so that people don't play bad casual games.
>>
>>46075813

Because, if the GM/other players aren't shit, it's a fun thing to do.

All of the women I've introduced to PnP had a good time. Not all of them still play, but I've more than once gotten emails from them saying how much they miss our old games.

One in particular found her old dice after moving to another country, and told me how nostalgic she felt when you unpacked them.

Another still plays with her fiance and his group. So, he lucked out.
>>
>>46080963

*she, when SHE unpacked them.

I'm beginning to wonder if my typing has always been this bad, or if I'm just getting old...
>>
Because big bang theory told them to.
>>
idk, i like to play with woman they are less autist and respect turns
>>
>>46075813
>not Mr. Pibb
plebs
>>
>>46080941
I agree that it's okay to sometimes not completely finish things and still enjoy them but Portal is a 3-4 hour game. It's literally a one sitting game and not finishing it means you played for an hour tops.
>>
>>46079958
>Also, is she wearing dice jewelry?
Doesn't look like it
>>
thanks doc
>>
2nd ed Dm screen, 3rd ed character sheets... how old is this pic, I wonder?
>>
In my experience, every girl ive ever met who played magic, videogames, 40k or otherwise was introduced to the hobby by a boyfriend, brother, or father
>>
>>46080362
go forbid someone express interest in a thing they like even though you like it more than them
>>
>>46082742
Ive noticed the same thing, except for one black girl who only shows up for 30k days and plays SoH. She said she just picked up horus rising at a barnes and noble on a whim and then got hooked from there. Everything is painted pretty well too.
>>
File: 1339040976952.jpg (69 KB, 331x331) Image search: [Google]
1339040976952.jpg
69 KB, 331x331
>>46080941
>She at least played it, and played it enough to like it, even if she never finished it.

Portal takes about 3-4 hours to beat a leisurely pace; Seven Samurai is 3 hours and 27 minutes long, Das Boot is 3 hours and 29 minutes long, and I've sat through both multiple times.
>>
>>46082871
Ooh. Look at you. You manly man you. Do you wear a sash with "7 gaymes in one blow" too?
>>
>>46082950
Are you like playing a character or something?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.