[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this the best codex GW made since the 3.5 CSM dex?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: de_codex_cover.jpg (136 KB, 621x1024) Image search: [Google]
de_codex_cover.jpg
136 KB, 621x1024
Was this the best codex GW made since the 3.5 CSM dex?
>>
>>46043764
Define "good"
>>
It was the best book ever since fun died in the middle of 4th.
Guard 3rd, Tau 4th, Marines 4th and Tyranids 4th were all boatlosds of fun.
>>
>>46043764
No.
That would be 5e Necrons.
>>
>>46043764
...and now they are back to 3rd ed codex uselessness

FUCK YOU GEE DUBYA
>>
>>46043764
Yes, it was fluffy, fun and a damn good book.
>>
>>46043993
good
ɡo͝od/
adjective
adjective: good; comparative adjective: better; superlative adjective: best
to be desired or approved of.
"we live at peace with each other, which is good"
synonyms: healthy, fine, sound, tip-top, hale and hearty, fit, robust, sturdy, strong, vigorous More
antonyms: poor, ill
pleasing and welcome.
"she was pleased to hear good news about him"
expressing approval.
"the play had good reviews"
having the qualities required for a particular role.
"the schools here are good"
synonyms: fine, superior, quality; More
antonyms: bad, inept, unconvincing
appropriate to a particular purpose.
"this is a good month for planting seeds"
synonyms: convenient, suitable, appropriate, fitting, fit; More
antonyms: inconvenient
(of language) with correct grammar and
>>
>>46045498
it wasn't useless just a bit one trick. At least HQs could take jetbikes.
>>
>>46045498
What happened?
>>
>>46044853
Say what you want about Newcron fluff, the options that codex had were amazing. All those cryptek specializations were great.

It was a shame that MSS and te flying croissants were so OP.
>>
File: 00307477.jpg (149 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
00307477.jpg
149 KB, 600x800
>>46043764
Considering I view "good" as having many fun viable different armies while keeping to the lore...

4th edition Space Marines : Chapter Tactics, fucking beautiful.

Dark Eldar 5th edition: cool army, cool units, Between wrack lists, raider gunboating, and beast lists there was great variety.

Blood Angels 5th edition: after playing with the white dwarf book this one was the SHIT! Lasplas fast vehicle lists, Jumpack lists, Storm Eagle drops, REAL Blood talon Dreadnaughts were fun as hell.

Space wolves 5th edition: there were like 3-4 tournament viable lists in that book alone, each entirely different. Logan wing, 70 marine zerg rush, Thunderwolf charge, spammerback.

6th edition Eldar: All of the craftworld themed armies could easily be made, from Iyanden to Ulthway to Biel Tan to even Altioc and Saim Hann. Never have I seen all main craftworlds playable out of the same book. Had an old player re enter the game with his Black Guardian army from the 13th black crusade list and it fit right in and actually worked, I ran Iyanden, and another friend played Saim Hann, it was awesome to see the lists actually work. Even Wraithknights weren't that bad in those days., before the current codex shat on all of that internal balance, making Jetbikes broken as shit and only Saim hann and MAYBE Iyanden viable.

Harliquens: holy fuck, a cool side faction with the some of the best models, coolest wierd niche rules AND a super easy method of integration in Craftworld or Dark Eldar lists to make up for their weaknesses, fuck yes.
>>
File: SM traits.png (3 MB, 1270x1822) Image search: [Google]
SM traits.png
3 MB, 1270x1822
>>46051578
>4th edition Space Marines : Chapter Tactics, fucking beautiful.
this
>>
>>46043764
>9 obliterators and 4 defilers
>good codex
>>
Reminder that no one exists in GW who cares for the lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oatGPbCSIU
>>
>>46044853
The start of powercreephammer.
>>
>>46051205
Removed/simplified a lot of fun options, got rid of a lot of special characters. I don't have a one-for-one list of changes, but the one that bothered me was that Hellions used to be able to literally grab an enemy character and drag him away from his squad, and now all that item does is give you a little boost in challenges.
From a design perspective it's not a bad call to simplify, but that rule was just so silly and fun I'm mad it's gone.

Also, general rules question: Would giving Dark Eldar the ability to fire splinter weapons at full BS when their transports move 12" be too good?
>>
>>46043764
yes
>>
Depends on what edition..5th edition necrons in 5th-6th edition were fun.
Tyranids 4th edition in 6th was fun rage.
My favorite is 4th edition orks, forever. Sure they were weak compared to the other new super codexes, but the new ork codex sucked ass.
>>
>>46051838
>1 of 9 legions plus corsairs
>only used by waac tourney chimps
>blames the book

Fuck off, and take your forced meme with you.
>>
File: BrotherChav.jpg (63 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
BrotherChav.jpg
63 KB, 250x250
>>46043764

It's hard to pick just one, since the Hainesdex came out when 40k had reached peak bro-tier.

The Hunter dexes and the EoT dex all came out the same year as the Medusa 5 campaign, iirc, and the Bitz Wagon was still a thing. The scene in my area was all about customizing and personalizing armies - the creative end of The Hobby before sanctioned "competitions" gutted the community in the US. After that, things turned to shit and steadily got worse until the scene was so toxic, GW abandoned the practice. I still kinda feel bad for kids who think 40k is just that space game with the grey plastic wound counters.

It was fucking magical, anons. I hope the new guy at the helm can bring some of it back, so you can get a taste too. [fingers crossed]
>>
>>46053842
>Also, general rules question: Would giving Dark Eldar the ability to fire splinter weapons at full BS when their transports move 12" be too good?

Yes, but Raiders/Venoms can take Splinter Racks to offset the snapfire.

My main complaint with the new DE codex is that the DE Independent Characters got absolutely shafted. Some examples.

>Lost as many special characters as the Tyranids (Including Asdrubael Vect, and Duke Silicus) with as many remaining special characters as the Tyranids.
>Huskblade AP-2 > AP-3
>Venom Blade (CCW with Poisoned 2+, classic and easy 5pt upgrade) for Wrack sergeants ONLY now.
>Mindphase Gauntlet went from causing a strength test AND leadership test for every HIT, any failing the tests and no attacks for the turn (Your homunculus wouldn't kill anything, but he sure could tie up characters with unweidly weapons,) to CONCUSSIVE (why?)
>Liquifier Gun: S4 > S3
>No more Power mauls or Power Axes on characters, Archons can choose between Power Sword (AP 3) Agonizer (AP 3 Poisoned 4+) and Huskblade (AP3 Instant Death)... noticing a pattern?

and so much else.

Pic tangentially related.
>>
File: ZogMeItsBootiful.png (2 MB, 1271x1725) Image search: [Google]
ZogMeItsBootiful.png
2 MB, 1271x1725
threadly reminder
>>
>>46051785
I miss the days of the "build your own faction" dexes
>>
File: chaos in a nutshell.png (61 KB, 564x334) Image search: [Google]
chaos in a nutshell.png
61 KB, 564x334
>>46061596
>>
>>46043764
>new to the hobby
>little money
>far from nearest game store
>finally say fuck it and cough up cash for a codex while I'm in town
>get the one for my favorite faction
>think it's pretty cool

>no one else likes it

O-okay...
>>
>>46053842
But of all the things to simplify they chose to lose model specific rules? Not the absolute lubed baboon hatefuck that is the psychic phase, random psychic powers and the over complexity of fmcs, vehicle movement and hammer of wrath?
>>
>>46043764
I really liked it, but for sheer fluff and fun I really like the new coven supplement too. Also the surprise Talos teleport never gets old.
>>
>>46061596
I see, back in the day 80% of ChSM unit upgrades were garbage.
Now 80% of ChSM units are.
>>
>>46062621

You should pirate the rulebook and codex and spend money on models instead.

Imperial Guard used to be extremely popular but GW's modernization of it and its current not-so-strong rules have made it one of the more unpopular armies now.
>>
>>46061285
My biggest grip is the change of the Voidraven, making it virtually useless. They made it 20 points more expensive AND flimsier, dropping it from 11/11/10 to 10/10/10 and can no longer take Flickerfields.

Sure, it's offensively powerful, but your opponent will throw everything at it, guaranteeing it'll go down the first round it comes in, even if you Jink. It's not strong enough to justify being a Distraction Carnifex, either. It just dies.

I was also kinda disappointed with the Reaver Blade Vanes change. They're pretty amazing in close combat now, but the drive-by Blade Vanes were more fun, because it was a very unique mechanic, and fluffy.
>>
>>46051578
>Blood Angels 5th edition

I liked their Rhino Rush days better. People complained about them but they never took enough anti-tank, they were still stuck in 2nd ed mindset where vehicles weren't that common and a couple of lascannons would easily handle most of them.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.