[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your all time favorite system? I'm not talking about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8
File: 1456612700538.jpg (61 KB, 680x454) Image search: [Google]
1456612700538.jpg
61 KB, 680x454
What is your all time favorite system? I'm not talking about the best, or most fluid-- what is the system that you consistently have the most fun with?
>>
I remember when that picture was mildly amusing, and not just a banner for the worst kind of faggots to wave. It's kind of gross when people on /tg/ try to emulate people on /r9k/.

I almost feel sorry for the picture, because there's nothing wrong with it, only that it was chosen by a group of fags as their choice for mindless spamming.
>>
Exalted 3E, though a large part of it is a deep love of the setting. I enjoy the mechanics, but teaching them to others is an absolute nightmare.
>>
I'm not a weeaboo, but I absolutely love samurai stories, so my answer is Legend of the Five Rings. You just have to avoid the people who take it autist level of serious and it's great.
The mechanics are solid but simple, the lore is exceptionally plentiful, the character possibilities are giant, and all the plots the gm can have are limited only by his cunning.
>>
The Dark Eye because it has rules for everything (that you actually are encouraged to disregard if you are still too casual)
>>
>>46034194
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.
Ryuutama is nice, but nobody plays slice-of-lifes, and I would say Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard if I knew where to find non yiff players who wanted to play it.
>>
Paranoia. Every time, I'm having a blast.
>>
I really like the cypher system and OVA
>>
Anima and fc.
>>
WHFRP 2e
> easy rules
> playing normal guys (peasants, rat catchers, charcoal burners and the like)
> great setting
>>
Feng Shui
>>
GURPS
>>
Fallout PnP. It feels like Fallout, and that's basically all anyone could ever need.
>>
Storyteller/Exalted 2e.
I just... like dice pools (even though there are some problems, but we were talking about feel here). Too bad I'm not a big fan of d10s
>>
>>46034239
>implying forced maymay spam isn't /v/, /b/, and /tv/'s thing

/r9k/ pls go
>>
Eote hands down. The dice are fun to use and intuitive (I love rolling a fist load of colorful dice), I think the obligation system is great, and all the talent trees are really fun to level up in. Not to mention it's Star Wars, one of my favorite settings, even if it's mostly nostalgia at this point.
>>
>>46034194
Talislanta. Simple rules, five minute chargen, actively encouraging trust and cooperation between the players and the GM, fucking glorious magic system, huge and exotic setting with just enough detail. I never had a bad or even meh game with it.
>>
It's absolutely not suited for every type of game, but I really admire Dread for it's simplicity.
>>
Apocalypse World
>>
>>46034194
FFG Star Wars.
It is also the only system I've ever used, cuz first pen and paper, so take that preference with a grain of salt.
>>
>>46034194
In a Vacuum, Anima.
Otherwise, whatever system I get to play with the collection of psychopaths and jackasses I call my friends.
>>
>>46039583
wich edition?
>>
blood bowl
rogue trader/DH2E
>>
Dread.
>>
>>46034194
GURPS 3e/4e.
>easy to teach
>no crazy dice
>emphasis on creativity
>>
>>46040864
4th edition best edition, confirmed by the author. Plus it has everything you need in one book.
>>
>>46041001
>GURPS
>easy to teach
>>
>>46034239

Please kill yourself you miserable poser.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 200x232) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 200x232
>>46034194

>>pic very very related
>>
>>46038223
Prefer OpenSix, but this is seriously a close second.
>>
Call of cthulhu anyone?
>>
>>46034194
exalted 3e
>>
Pathfinder
>>
Don't Rest Your Head.

I love how well the rules reinforce the storytelling and setting, and its light enough you can run pretty much anything in it if you wanted
>>
TMNT and Other Strangeness mixed with GURPS to cover the shittier parts of the Palladium system.
>>
>Mutants & Masterminds

I love systems that let you be whatever the fuck you want, and M&M does that and does it good.
>>
File: image.jpg (298 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298 KB, 752x1063
>>46043601

Over here!
Cthulhu is great! 6th edition is in my collection!
>>
I deserve to get shit for this, but I appreciate all the content for Pathfinder. It helps that the other GM of my group keeps trying different additions of D&D so my players groan when I mention other games. They're always starting fresh runs in unfamilar formats by the time new stuff sounds fun.
Some day I hope to try Engine Heart.
>>
>>46038763
Fallout PnP is garbage. It directly and literally translates everything from the games in a terrible way. It makes it a very janky system to use. Imagine GURPS 3e but (somehow) immensely worse in every single way.
>>
>>46034194
Did a few sessions using some rules for a Buffy the Vampire Slayer setting that used Fudge as its backbone. We did it as a break from 3rd edition (and to give our DM a break; I swapped him out cause I had the right dice), and it was the best decision ever. Brought out some great RP, some great improvisation on everyone's part, and is still talked about fondly.

>10/10, would play Fudge again
>>
>>46034194
Runequest 3rd Edition, the Avalon Hill blue box. Endless fun.
>>
D&D original red box
>>
File: 4e DMG.jpg (51 KB, 318x416) Image search: [Google]
4e DMG.jpg
51 KB, 318x416
>>46034194
D&D 4th.

I actually prefer DMing to playing, and 4e is by FAR my favorite system to DM, because of how it bends over backwards to help you do it.

Balancing and creating encounters is a dream its so easy. The sweet spot between lethal and squash-match is a cinch to hit.

Combat is fun enough as a game to justify doing it is as easy as.... having an encounter, because the combat mini-game is fun enough to be a game all by itself.

I like my games to feel like fantasy novels, and 4e goes out of its way to make the protagonists/PC's feel like protagonists, while still having the diminishing resources to keep the tension up.

I encourage out-of-the-box character concepts, and 4e's fluid refluff allows nearly any concept to come to fruition. Other systems CAN refluff, but 4e is so good at it that someone playing a refluffed character doesn't cause role-playing hiccups.

Similarly, monsters can be refluffed just as easilly, making it easier to custom fit the encounter to the situation, while not sacrificing fun or challenge. Similarly, this cuts down on the "oh, I've read that MM entry" factor, and allows truly unique encounters with non-standard creatures in settings that aren't Faerun or notFaerun.

The optimization community and problem players have largely moved on to PF and 5e, leaving only players who mesh with my GM style very well playing 4e.

No fiddly XP penalties for death, or XP costs for enchanting. This makes it easier to just throw XP out the window in lieu of "party levels when the plot requires it, or they've really earned it" without having to re-balance a subsystem.

Almost no mechanics are tied to setting assumptions, save for one that I get rid of anyway (dragonmarks.) This gives more freedom for making settings unique and surprising.

Alignment is easier to throw out the window than in any other game that even bothers to have alignment.

Prep time is reduced SIGNIFICANTLY compared to other games.
>>
File: the absolute psycho.jpg (12 KB, 350x296) Image search: [Google]
the absolute psycho.jpg
12 KB, 350x296
>>46041962
>struggling with basic addition
>>
>>46034194
AD&D Second Edition
>>
File: Imyonigga.jpg (263 KB, 573x1941) Image search: [Google]
Imyonigga.jpg
263 KB, 573x1941
>>46048968
>>
>>46048992
<3
>>
world of synniabarr
>>
>>46034194
>What is your all time favorite system? I'm not talking about the best, or most fluid-- what is the system that you consistently have the most fun with?
Only know 3.5 so far (playing by the book and one homebrew variation), so obviously it's the one I had the most fun with. Pathfinder and CoC sound pretty interesting as well, but I can't seem to find people interested in it.
>>
>>46034194
Traveller

Because you can have fun with it without actually being in a group. All on your own.

;_;
>>
>>46049167
"What's your favourite ice cream flavour?"
"Well, I've only eaten shitcakes all my life, so I guess it's shitcakes. Turdburgers and chocolate sound pretty interesting as well."

My answer:
I like Apocalypse World and its derivatives - but only when done well. Not a big Dungeon World fan at all.
>>
>>46049384
>"What's your favourite ice cream flavour?"
>"Well, I've only eaten shitcakes all my life, so I guess it's shitcakes. Turdburgers and chocolate sound pretty interesting as well."
And then there's this faggot.
>>
Savage Worlds.

Even though I somewhat agree, this guy is being a super dink. >>46049384
>>
Svenil. A Swedish humor/satire rpg. So silly and just amazingly fun.
>>
>>46049456
>Swedish humor

This is my favourite oxymoron
>>
>>46048915
t. fired 4e designer
>>
>>46034194
13th age
>>
lasers and feelings variations are a blast, and so easy that you can play them with normies instead of UNO or whatever.
>>
>>46049513
Do you even bork bork?
>>
Probably the WoD storyteller system it was great to run games for and repurpose as I liked.

Most interesting that I'd like to play again though would be puppet land.
>>
>>46043643
*chuckles*
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (46 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
46 KB, 1280x720
>>46043643
>>
>>46034194
I want to say GURPS, but that would be a lie because of Paranoia.

I fucking love paranoia.
>>
>>46044147
My afro-american familia
>>
>>46049384
Why don't you DM an amazing system for those less fortunate that haven't had the opportunity to play them yet, Dickhead?
>>
>>46034194
I have the fondest memories of Mage: The Ascension. Without other WoD books.
>>
>>46034194
AD&D.
I started with it, many good memories.
Like the Dead Hawk story.
>>
>>46034194
>what is the system that you consistently have the most fun with
D&D 5e.
>>
Savage Worlds.

Say what you want about generic systems but the combat is so unique, intense, and really fun.

Paraphrasing from another anon "in no other game could the GM give my character a knife, and tell me to take out a room full of 20 dudes, and make me think it was possible"
>>
FATE by a mile, though I've also had a blast with Star Wars D20, though that had almost nothing to do with the system.

It's a shame that my game time is like 85% D&D iterations, 10% Dark Heresy and related stuff, and 5% everything else. Not that I can't have fun with D&D, but my group is stagnant as fuck and I'm the kind of guy who loves to try out a new system every once in a while.
>>
I've only played Dogs in the Vineyard once because it's weird and I've found its premise almost impossible to sell to most players, but damn that one time was amazing. Maybe it was just the group I was with then, which wasn't my regular group, but still.

Always been meaning to play it again sometimes, but never had the opportunity.
>>
>>46034239
>nothing wrong with it
it's pretty poorly drawn m8
>>
Played 3.5, Pathfinder, V:TM, Eclipse Phase, Zodiac, Legend, Dungeons: the Dragoning 40K 7th Edition, and Fantasy craft.

Fantasy craft is my favorite by far, although I also really like Dungeons the Dragoning, even if it isn't particularly well balanced.

Anybody who likes 3.PF but hates its total lack of balance should try Fantasy Craft.
>>
>>46055774
>I've only played Dogs in the Vineyard once because it's weird and I've found its premise almost impossible to sell to most players

Nigga if you can't pitch "Cowbow Paladins in the wild west" then either your pitch sucks or your group is a bunch of fedoras
>>
File: fc3.jpg (130 KB, 1011x699) Image search: [Google]
fc3.jpg
130 KB, 1011x699
>>46056633
My Fantasy Craft nigger.
I finally found a game to play in rather than just DMing all day and I am having F U N.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.