[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Game General - Island Paradise Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 39
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (87 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
87 KB, 736x552
Welcome to the new /bgg/ thread.

Useful Links:
http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

Google Docs /bgg/ Games Recommendation Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1siC2-T6xJjuzNq6JDmvHfnCbo82px8JZuczv8GZgw-8/edit#gid=654023994

>Do you prefer ameritrash or german-style board games?
>Who is your favorite game designer?
>>
I prefer german-style euro games with pervasive theme but no player confrontation

my favourite designer is Stefan Feld

reCaptcha needs to learn the fucking difference between a succulent and a cactus
>>
>>46026809
Which game is that? Google isn't returning results.
>>
>>46026896
Bora Bora
>>
>>46026896
>>46026913
its a super complicated game but very fun.
>>
Upvoted
>>
Looking at my collection it's pretty much Ameritrash sans Dominant Species. Even though I like deep strategy games Last Night on Earth I got recently is one of my favorites.

N/A though I have to say PORTAL Games designers are pretty swell.
>>
Ameritrash
Greg Carslaw
>>
>>46026809
I'll take a good krautgaem over a bad
ameritrash, but on a level playing field it's no contest.

Not much of a dsigner groupie, but I've yet to play something by Vlaada that I didn't like.

>>46026836
>I prefer. . . no player confrontation.
I hope one day to understand people like this.

Finally got in some more games of world of yo-ho, for whoever wanted reports on that.
It's pretty goddamn ameritrashy, and very lightweight. Not as much serious decision making as I'd hoped, but enough to keep me fairly engaged. Game does a good job at encouraging you to go after each other and interact, though the board feels maybe a little too spacious with less than four players. Would have liked the option to go up to five, maybe even six.

Also got some plays of Deception: Murder in Hong Kong in, and I'm never going back to mysterium. PvP immensely improves the formula, and it's an order of magnitude faster to boot. Difficult for the murderer with less than 6 players, I think, but still close enough to be fun.
>>
>>46027659
I like heavier Euros, and I like the colorful board, but this one might be a little too dry even for me.
>>
>>46032262
>Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Took a look at a playthrough of this, and I think you can jury rig a similar playing format for Mysterium too, with the dream cards replacing the clues. What puzzles me though is how the heck are the investigators supposed to connect the 'Key Evidence' and 'Means of Murder' cards using the clues. Is the Forensic Scientist supposed to paint a story using the clues?
>>
>>46026809
I enjoy both american and german, as long as the game is not a mindless luckfest; a modicum of strategic planning is a must.

Not a fanboy either, but I believe persistence is what it takes, even for one-hit-wonders. Guys that carved a name for themselves usually had a lot of duds before scoring a hit. Then they can either fade away, remain relevant for a long time with a single game and spin offs, or keep adding new designs with the benefit of being a name in the industry.
>>
>>46033047
>Is the Forensic Scientist supposed to paint a story using the clues?
Not necessarily a narrative, though occasionally you can make that work, usually just direct association. Marking the means of death as something like "blood loss" lets the investigators reliably eliminate "means of murder" cards that aren't particularly likely to kill via that method, like an elevator shaft, and direct their attention towards the guy with a kitchen knife and a power drill in front of him.
>>
>>46026809

>ameritrash or German

Ameritrash all day erry day. Any game can really be boiled down to manipulate X to get Y result, but ameritrash is all about giving you a story and reason why you can get immersed in. Reasoning is generally an after thought with euros. Mindless color and number manipulation became stale for me around the time I turned 8 years old. It's always funny see people use light euros as an introductory to board gaming. I started with key to the kingdom, which while the rules were just sort of bad, the aesthetics were beautiful and the story really pulled my child self in. Had I started with a light euro I would have decided board games suck.

>fav designer
Don't really have one. If megacon could write a rulebook that isn't absolute shit I'd go with them. Literally the only thing holding them back with most of their releases is a 40 or so page booklet.
>>
>>46032262

>No player confrontation

I know people who hate black stand up comedy and radio prank phone calls because they're too "hostile" and "confrontational".

My guess is some sort of deep seated fear of people getting upset swimming around
>>
>>46033973
Maybe people just got fed up with feeling drained and angry after 6 hours of Monopoly
>>
curious for people who have played Jaipur. would you still enjoy the game if there were a separate small deck of cards that represented items in high demand? at the beginning of the first player's turn you'd flip over a card and for that turn sales of that item would be worth +1. the deck would mostly consist of the low value goods obviously
>>
>>46033793
So they're a direct clue relating 'cause' and 'means' as well as 'location' and 'key evidence' then? Hmm, I'll give a think for something that would work similarly using Mysterium cards then.

>>46035456
Seems like a bit of unnecessary upkeep for small effect, especially considering you'd ideally use the low value goods to get the 5 card tokens. It'd only have any real use during the early turns to get the 5/4 and 3 tokens, and after exhausting the tokens for a good with cards leftover, the remaining cards of the good are basically worthless, though I suppose you could still use them for 5/4/3 card tokens.
>>
>>46033973
Some men just don't want to watch the world burn.
>>
Big city outing this past weekend. Brought ONUW and Hanabi and played neither, but that's cool too.

Played Blood Rage yesterday. Only my second play. Everyone else, other than the owner, was new to it. I generally dislike how slow it can be (granted haven't yet played with experienced players). We had two players have to leave midgame due to going long. One of the new players blocked me from using my monster and ship through 2 rounds, blissfully unaware of how badly she was fucking me. She didn't even know I was there when she finally pillaged. She must have misunderstood something, because she thought playing all her upgrades would grant her more points, but it was actually masterful BM with no strategic value and extended the game by twenty minutes (she was the only one with Rage left).

Then played Blueprints. Meh, I like the scoring and the tiebreaker works, but dislike that the same tiebreaker applies to the extra achievements as well, especially given how hard they are to achieve. The fact that I denied someone else the win, but I didn't necessarily play better, left a sour taste. Might honestly be more fun without the player shields.

>>46026809
>ameritrash or euro
This question again. I like to play whatever my friends want to play, which is rarely ameritrash but it's just as often a social game as it is a euro.
>designer
Best up and coming guy is Alexander Pfister
Best big name guy? Maybe Antoine Bauza?
>>
>>46026809
I have more eurogames in my collection than ameritrash games, but my favorite games are all ameritrash. It's weird; eurogames just invoke a much more mellow response from me. I like them, but rarely love them.

Brad Talton. Guy hits the mark damn near every time.
>>
>>46033973
i'm not afraid of upsetting people, i just don't like trying to calculate player aggro whenever I do something to see if it has extra costs.
>>
In Dominion do you think you could make an engine with the only card/action provider being a card which gives +2 of each?
>>
Second sunday with a new group of players, who actually ASK to play games. So long and good riddance, "official" no-show wednesdays, you won't be missed.
>>
>>46039470
Are you the guy who complained a copule of times about his group of friends that didn't bother showing up at gaming nights (even thought they "wanted to play")?
>>
>>46039500
I did whine about that a couple of times here, but a bunch of other anons have had that same issue.
>>
File: SFB_Basic_Set.jpg (40 KB, 216x269) Image search: [Google]
SFB_Basic_Set.jpg
40 KB, 216x269
Best board game coming through, you bunch of casuals
>>
File: pic709883.jpg (145 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
pic709883.jpg
145 KB, 750x600
>>46039735
>>
>>46039598
Oh if that was several people that might explain it. I've seen it a couple of times and just thought to myself that the guy must be repeatedly having the worst day of his life because of being ignored by his "friends".

Anyway happy that it worked out for you at the end.
>>
>>46039735
>>46039905
I've got a copy of Murphy's Rules - the amount of times SFB showed up was staggering.

That said, I do miss when /tg/ had Star Trek Admiral threads every so often...
>>
>>46032532
>dry

What on earth are you smoking.
>>
>>46040622
>>46032532

Kind of agree, it's not an immersive game and theme seems a bit pasted, but it works. Solid and fun, even though it seems intimidating at first.
>>
>>46026809
Either one is fine as long as it is the mechanics that drive, and make the gameplay fun, rather than the "fluff" for instance.
>>
File: MAD-3DMarauder.jpg (117 KB, 558x757) Image search: [Google]
MAD-3DMarauder.jpg
117 KB, 558x757
>>46039905
Holy Shit! There are Romulans in Battletech? Who knew...
>>
File: before-and-after-monopoly.png (180 KB, 501x395) Image search: [Google]
before-and-after-monopoly.png
180 KB, 501x395
>>46035232
What would give you that impression Anon?
>>
>>46033910
>megacon
The Myth rule book was hilarious. The second edition wasn't much better. I know it's not easy to write a seamless set of rules but my god. At the very least you think someone would have said "maybe having the glossary on page 1 isn't a great idea"
>>
>>46042186
>Backed Myth
>Got add-ons
>Game is shit
>Can't even fucking sell this garbage on eBay
Welp, I guess my next campaign is going to have a lot of arachnids, gobbos, and roboelementals.
>>
Just wondering how the hell does /bgg/ get pushed to page 6 within 2 minutes of getting bumped.
>>
>>46043940
Because teejee only cares about their arpeejees.
>>
>>46043940
because board gamers are typically more well-adjusted than rpg/magic gamers and spend an order of magnitude more time away from their computer because they don't require a feeling of validation at all times.
>>
>>46043940
>Just wondering how the hell does /bgg/ get pushed to page 6 within 2 minutes of getting bumped.
I think there are a lot of reasons for this personally. One of them, and perhaps the most important one, being that there often times is not that much to discuss boardgame wise is it?
Let me try to change that (?) and hopefully we will get a discussion going on a particular boardgame (?). What do the people here think of Arkham Horror? It is one of those games that I personally own, but for some reason can not get into. The randomness is out of this world, and after you have played it (after maybe two times) you will immediately start to min-maxing two mitigate the randomness. I am curious. What do people enjoy about that particular game? All of them can not be "Lovecraft-die-hards" so to speak, surely?
>>
>>46044512
>>46044357
>>46044634

That makes an awful lot of sense. Also, stat me, filename, that guy & quest threads move faster
>>
>>46026809
Okay /bbg/, I'm wandering out of my usual place of dwelling in /pfg/ to ask you guys for an opinion. I have a birthday coming up and I've got family asking if there's anything particular I want. The group I normally play Pathfinder with also plays a lot of board games, so I was thinking it'd be cool to get a new board game for us to play. What are some recommendations? We enjoy stuff like Arkham Horror, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, or Smallworld, and occasionally other things like Munchkin, Bang, or Risk.

Do you have some suggestions for a reasonably priced (something below $75) board game we might enjoy adding to our collective collection?
>>
>>46044876
Since yu're already into PF, why don't you try the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game? Not too expensive, plays in a shorter time, so it's good for downtime or when a party member can't make it to a session.
You'll get a lot of play from the basic set, and there's a ton of expansions if your group likes it.
>>
>>46044876
Dead of Winter comes to mind. Fury of Dracula is also fun.
>>
>>46044876
>What are some recommendations? We enjoy stuff like Arkham Horror, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, or Smallworld, and occasionally other things like Munchkin, Bang, or Risk.
>Arkham Horror
>>46044634
>Let me try to change that (?) and hopefully we will get a discussion going on a particular boardgame (?). What do the people here think of Arkham Horror? It is one of those games that I personally own, but for some reason can not get into. The randomness is out of this world, and after you have played it (after maybe two times) you will immediately start to min-maxing two mitigate the randomness. I am curious. What do people enjoy about that particular game? All of them can not be "Lovecraft-die-hards" so to speak, surely?

As for your question, Chaos in the Old World perhaps? It is an excellent game, asymmetric, driven by the mechanics, high replay values. Highly recommended.
>>
>>46044876
If you have a core that is together most often Pandemic Legacy might be a good idea, will give you an extended story arc on nights you don't wanna go rpg. If none of you have ever played Pandemic it's prolly not a good idea as you'll get beat up badly the first few games.

My group enjoys doing dungeon crawls as a break sometimes, SDE and Imperial Assault have seen a lot of time at the table the last year, but both are pushing the upper end of your price limit.

>>46045037
Both awesome options

>>46045000
As someone who's played both, the card game is just not a good substitute, it often feels like it's playing itself, and while I can put up with that sometimes, it doesn't scratch the itch of actually sitting down to a Pathfinder session.
>>
File: 2775241-1378732_xena115.jpg (64 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
2775241-1378732_xena115.jpg
64 KB, 640x430
There's room in my heart for both American style boardgames and eurogames.

American games have progressed dramatically over the last decade and calling them "trashy" does the whole industry a grave disservice. Being theme-forward and employing random elements no longer have the negative connotations they once may have.

That said, a lot of my all-time favorites are Knizia designs.
>>
>>46044834
>Also, stat me
What system are we using?
>>
>>46045000
We've never tried it, but we're not exactly interested in doing so either. We've given thought to it, but it seems a little silly when we just play Pathfinder regularly.

>>46045037
Never heard of either before, but both sound like something that my group might like. I will look them up, thanks.

>>46045060
Well, I definitely do enjoy the Lovecraft theme, but I also enjoy the complexity of the game and, to some extent, the randomness. Not in and of itself, mind you, getting screwed by random luck sucks and so does knowing you won only because you were lucky. But the process of working to mitigate the luck factor, making decisions based on what you know about the odds and being rewards (or punished) on a more micro level is rather satisfying. The game also remains fresh due to the sheer amount of material (we have all of the expansions and use them every time).

Anyway, I'll look up Chaos in the Old World too, since I've also never heard of that.
>>
Has anyone played Forbidden Stars?

Is it worth it?

Or should I get Chaos in the Old World?
>>
>>46045443
If you want 1 on 1, go for Forbidden Stars. For multiple players, get Chaos. Forbidden will take way too long for what it is at 3 and 4.
Chaos is just a unique design, using bits and pieces of conflict and euro games. Wonderful assymetry in playstyles, while Forbidden's races are only really different when it comes to their combat cards. Once a round-use upgrade cards does not a faction make.

Forbidden has many other games just as solid out there, while Chaos stands alone for what it does. There are game similar in combat and play time (Kemet is a great one that comes to mind), but nothing really like it.

Meanwhile, you could play twilight imperium 3rd edition with 4 players and likely have it come in at the same play time as stars, only so much more shit is going down.
>>
>>46045587
Thanks anon, i´ll look into those.

Any advice on more social type games. like The Resistance?

I have several groups of friends, and some of them just aren´t made for heavier games.
>>
>>46045706

The Resistance is good
Avalon is better
Codenames is the new hotness
Coup & Love Letter are also fun.
Battlestar Galactica and Shadows Over Camelot are genre staples which are a bit heavier/more involved.
>>
>>46045340
>But the process of working to mitigate the luck factor
Does the difficulty of that particular process increase the more expansions there are? Personally I have the original and Dunwich (my favorite tale by Lovecraft by the way), and I am not sure whether the difficulty of that particular process actually increases. Perhaps our views about games make us play them differently though.

>The game also remains fresh due to the sheer amount of material
That is the other part. How many expansions do you use? Because, personally, with only the original and dunwich you still almost have to kickstart the expansion. That is, you have to get to Dunwich to get it started. Which is weird.

>Anyway, I'll look up Chaos in the Old World too, since I've also never heard of that.
Please do. It is an excellent game.
>>
>>46036384
>hits the mark damn near every time
And when he doesn't, we get stuff like 7 Card Slugfest.
Every time I see it on a different brick and mortar store shelf i feel bad they bought something they will never ever sell, even on clearance.

Mind you, during the kickstarter for devastation he put out what, 3-5 different games? The absolute madman.

If I had more money, I would certainly splurge and pick up Argent, even though I am not normally one for euros, every review about it piques my interest more and more.

Would be curious about Millenium Blades or whatever the "card game meta" one is, but I feel it will be way beyond my budget.

Ameritrash. I have realized in the past couple of months that, while I do enjoy breaking combos and abusing resource systems, I would rather do so alone on my phone. Crashing ascension became an obsession with abusing Adayu and the faction trigger abilities. ame with star realms. Even though it is a two player combat game, I would rather play a deckbuilder versus and A.I. I also am just not very good at reading the board state in point salad and economy engine games. I recognize agricola as being great, but I just cannot enjoy it.

I do not pay enough attention to play favorites, but Brad Talton makes some pretty fun stuff, as does Isaac Vega. I also love what Innovation and Galaxy Trucker bring to the table, so props to Chudyk and Chvatil.
>>
>>46045771
Thanks again!
>>
>>46045706
>Any advice on more social type games. like The Resistance?
>>46045706
>Shadows Over Camelot
That would be my recommendation. The resistance is a hard game to replace though, because of how simple it is...
>>
>>46045771
>>46045706
I personally don't like Love Letter too much, Secret Hitler is getting some buzz as well.
Mafia/Werewolf, Spyfall, Funemployed for larger groups.
>>
>>46045849
>>46045771

Ca$h & Guns is a blast
>>
>>46045771
>>46045706

I would argue some games can be social without being deduction and team vs team games. Things that just get everyone engaged and chatting while keeping everyone focused on the game at hand.

Sherrif of Nottingham is wonderful at this with wheeling and dealing types, or people willing to let loose a little and inject some roleplaying.

>what's in the bag sir?
>no hablo ingles, senor

The Grizzled is also a fun, light co-op, where most information cannot be shared, and you are all in hell together.

Lastly, there are always dexterity/reaction games, like Jungle Speed, Set (I hate how bad I am at this game!), Spot it, Disc Duelers, and Ghost blitz. People who hate having to react quickly or flick things may find them overbearing however, no matter the simplicity.
>>
>>46032262
>world of yo-ho
Thanks for the follow up on this, sounds like exactly what I was hoping it to be, family weight pirate adventures for playing with non-gamers and my sister's kids. I remember you saying the low point game was terribly short, how was it at the medium/long game victory conditions?

>>46045173
>that feel when you math trade a Knizia game for a different Knizia game
I just wish it coulda been a mediterranean trade

>>46045771
I'd argue Avalon is the lesser of the two, it's a nice option to tweak the difficulty settings, but the original is just easier to teach and get played

>>46045870
Fuck yeah it is

>>46045878
Leacock's new game is what he's calling a "social game" which doesn't lack rules but isn't a brain burner either, it looks good but I feel like that whole segment of the market is oversaturated lately.

As for dexterity, I thought Bling Bling Gemstone would be my go to forever, but Rhino Hero so great, and I don't worry about taking it to the bar and having it fly all over. For at home though, if you've got the space Pingo Pingo is the most hilarious 15 minutes ever.
>>
>>46045950
>Fuck yeah it is

Needs a Star Wars re-theme though.
Asmodee has FFG now so they could probably make it happen.
>>
>>46046209
Only for miniatures, lcg, rpg; they won't try to do a board game again with the license after the fuckery that was IA. At least not in the US/Can, might see one in Europe, where Hasbro doesn't shit everything up.
>>
File: sw03_box_left.png (330 KB, 450x453) Image search: [Google]
sw03_box_left.png
330 KB, 450x453
>>46046429

uwut
>>
>>46039106
Do you mean an actual card, or for a fan-made expansion? As far as I know there's no card that gives +2 of actions, cards, buys, and $. However, if such a card existed, it would most likely be considered overpowered unless it had a considerable drawback.
>>46044634
>Oftentimes there is not much board game wise to discuss is it?
There is, but on 4chan the community is smaller. BoardGameGeek has far more posts per day, usually with more substance, than /tg/.
>>46046209
Am I following this correctly? Cash and Guns needs a Star Wars retheme? Are you inane?
>>
>>46046459
It's another game listed as miniatures, and they might still have another lawsuit on their hands if Hasbro decides to go after them. The fact it's not available on their website makes me think they already have. Doing that for one or two big ticket items isn't a big deal, doing it for rethemes of small box? Not to mention they're already changing up their distribution model in two weeks, would they really want to have to fuck it up more.
>>
File: pic1670515_md.jpg (67 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
pic1670515_md.jpg
67 KB, 500x375
>>46046546
>Am I following this correctly? Cash and Guns needs a Star Wars retheme? Are you inane?

Are you?
You know it has some hard-ish to find expansions which include things like shotguns and ninja stars and swords?

It's a natural fit, unless you somehow don't WANT to wave around Han Solo's motherfucking blaster pistol and shoot first. In which case anyone who likes fun can go ahead and disregard your opinion
>>
>>46046547

It has miniatures. That doesn't make it a miniatures game, except maybe in some narrow legalistic sense.

It's not available on their website because it was only recently announced. They've been publicizing it heavily though - couple articles a month.
>>
>>46046546
>There is, but on 4chan the community is smaller. BoardGameGeek has far more posts per day, usually with more substance, than /tg/.
There are always things to discuss, indeed. I agree. The problem with boardgames contra RPGs in this particular way though is the fact that RPGs are that much more modular. Which is a big reason as to why they generate that much more discussion.
I did point out though that I think that was one particular factor, among many.
>>
>>46046633
That's the point, in the USA/Can Hasbro owns the exclusive license for all SW board games, FFG has miniatures license, which while perfectly legit for things like X-wing, was called for the bullshit it was on IA. This led to legal wrangling that ended up with Hasbro's distribution chain being used for IA and it not available on the website for direct buy. The same will likely happen with Rebellion, and while that isn't going to impact them as much on a big box game that retails high and has lower sales numbers, they're not going to risk pissing off Hasbro, or Disney by doing this regularly. This is why SW:Carcassonne is a Europe only release and has to be imported by the customer not the store.

Also if you're playing Cash n Guns with the Yakuza expansion you're doing it wrong, the 2nd edition is just a better game. No shotgun yet, but the Uzi promo (avail on ebay pretty easy) and the expansion with the Derringer and Magnum make up for it so far.
>>
>>46046596
It will never happen

but even if it did, I hate how so many (insert fandom here) crackheads decide to buy a game based on IP. It's either a good game or not, and IP doesn't make a game better unless it was designed around that IP. 9 times out of 10 licensed rethemes are a dirty cash grab that's designed to attract suckers
>>
>>46046783
>9 times out of 10 licensed rethemes are a dirty cash grab that's designed to attract suckers
Could not have said it better myself. Even some original games are just that, regardless of quality.
X-wing miniatures game wouldn't have made half the money it has if it had the exact same system but was themed I n WWII dogfights.
Hell even I fell for it
>>
File: 1417674512461.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1417674512461.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
Okay, how the fuck do I find somebody that I can sit and play a hard euro with? I swear to god, every time I bring a game over to game night at my FLGS and assuming I can get players for it, 9 times out of 10 the people playing will back out saying its too complicated. Fucking half the people at that store will either play Codenames or Resistance and it's fucking bullshit.
>>
>>46039106
>>46046546
No, just a card which gives +2 cards and +2 actions as a baseline.without any conditions.
>>
File: last night on earth.jpg (333 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
last night on earth.jpg
333 KB, 1500x1500
Hey!

I'd like to get a zombie game that's co-op or semi co-op. So far I've read about pic related, Zombicide, Zpocalypse, Mall of Horror, Dead of Winter.
Are there others I'm missing? What would you recommend?
Right now Last Night on Earth is the one I think I'd like the most but I'm not sure.

I would really like you to give me some recommendations and tell about pros and cons of certain games if you have experience with them.
>>
>>46040003
it's a common problem, unfortunately.
>>
File: benoit.png (219 KB, 355x300) Image search: [Google]
benoit.png
219 KB, 355x300
>>46049601

Do a better job of explaining to those other people what makes the heavy eurogame more fun & interesting than Codenames.
>>
>>46049920

I've heard nothing but great things about Dead of Winter.

A lot of (most) zombie games kind've get caught up on the zombie part and never quite make it to the game part.
>>
>>46049601
Due to Shut Up&Sit Down I can never treat the term "hard euro" as anything other than a porn term ever again.
>>
>>46045771
others already nailed the others, didn't see masquerade mentioned though. so masquerade.
>>
>>46049964
on that note, any other good channels besides Dicetower and SU&SD? I found 'Board Game Replay' which is okay but everything else I've come across has been terrible.
>>
>>46050009

I like Starlit Citadel
>>
>>46049964
>>46050009
Speaking of SU&SD, did you hear that Quinns got engaged to Leigh Alexander? Small world.
>>
>>46050067
>google the name
>oh that girl from the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective video
mmm, not surprised after watching that review. good for him
>>
>>46049920
I only played Last Night on Earth. Get it if:

1. You want to play against humans and not against AI. LNoE has a funky system where you have 1-2 zombie players. This also means that people must want to play as zombies.
2. You're not afraid of the visuals - the art style looks like a B movie or a porn set shoot. This is great for me because I love the B-movie horror aesthetic, some people think it looks cheap.
3. You're fine with randomness - LNoE uses roll to move and has random items and events from deck. This can mean that the game is swingy - we were lucky with our rolls and thought that zombies have it hard and can't win. Cue next game where we were obliterated and didn't manage to fulfill even half of our objective.

If you're looking for a deep strategy game, look elsewhere. For me the game is essence of pop-corn fun - as a player it's a blast running around collecting items, getting shafted by stuff such as "This can't be happening" or "This could be our last night on earth" coming straight out of horror clichés. As a zombie nothing is more fun than swarming the heroes and pushing their shit in.

Only complaint I have against it is that in some scenarios the Zombie player must play very unzombie-like to be competitive against the heroes. Like in Die Zombies! Die! scenario the objective of the heroes is to kill zombies. The best strategy is to wait in buildings and swarm them when they come in.
>>
>>46026809
Depends on player count and what I'm in the mood for. So, no strong preference really. Also, no love for wargames? Or do they fall into the ameritrash genre?

Don't have one.
>>
>>46045706
shit, meant Mascarade. Also Good Cop Bad Cop.
>>
>>46049926
Really? People who don't show up without calling in before the fact get a monthly ban in my group. Can't say it happens twice with the same person.

Shit happens and sometimes people legitmately can't make it so gaming nights get canceled but we know that 1 days before at least. I'd be pretty pissed if no one came and didn't call it in - I'd probably change groups after that ASAP.
>>
>>46050038
They disbanded :(
>>
>>46046783
>>46048645
Call me a sucker but StarCraft is probably my favorite board game and it's in large part due to the theme.

Sure the base game is probably good in itself (looking how it was reimplemented in Forbidden Stars) but I completely understand people who are in in the for the theme. If I wanted a good game without a theme I'd get an abstract strategy.
>>
>>46050139
>how unfortunate for him
FTFY
>>
>>46051169
eh if he can turn a blind eye to her malicious/self-centered character and even side with her revoltingly skewed perspective he's getting what he deserves either way.
>>
WHY THE FUCK IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS? Designed by fucking Eric M. Lang
>>
>>46051169
>>46051724
desu Leigh is fine and only gets a bad rep because she has unpopular opinions. She's as much of a jerk as your average internet person.
>>
File: IMG_20160316_105831.jpg (272 KB, 1024x1030) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_105831.jpg
272 KB, 1024x1030
>>46052088
I think you posted the wrong image...
>>
>>46039735
Not even the best Trek game.

>>46045950
Medium still very short, over in under an hour after setup (which mostly consisted of downloading the app). Long felt about right, took close to two hours.
>>
>>46050864
Sucker.

Seriously though, it's great that publishers recognized that a solid game must back a solid IP, instead of going for the low hanging fruit and doggedly pump out rethemed Bullshit.

Yes, Hasbro, I'm looking at you.
>>
Has anyone here played Mafia de Cuba?
I got it because it looks great (damn you susd), but have no real idea how it is supposed to work.
What are the mechanics? How can the don do anything but baseless speculation?
>>
>>46053198
Played loads of it, love it, I'll see how well I can explain it. Didn't make a lot of sense to me either until I was a play or two in.

Say you've got eight players. That makes setup
(1) Godfather
(3) Loyal Henchman
(1) FBI Agent
(1) Driver
(1) Joker
(15) Diamonds
Except for the godfather, the rest of those are the contents of the box. Godfather starts by secretly removing 0-5 diamonds from the box. As best I can tell, it's pretty much always optimal to remove 5. Then the godfather passes the box to the left. This player then has the option to remove one role chip (not a diamond or joker) from the game before he selects his role by either taking one of the chips or any number of diamonds. He's going to take a chip because if the next player sees less than ten diamonds in the box, he's going to know that the player before him is a theif, if you follow. So he's probably either going to take a loyal henchman or the FBI, and remove the other. Next guy gets the box and sees two chips missing, and ten diamonds, so he knows the guy before him is one of those two missing role chips. So on and so forth until the box gets back to the godfather, who opens it and starts interrogating everyone.
Godfather wins if he gets all the diamonds back from thieves by accusing them without making more than one mistake (since setup grants one joker for this playercount)
Loyal Henchmen are going to want to give the godfather as much accurate information as possible, since they win with the godfather.
FBI Agents are going to want to share information and behave in a manner that makes them appear as a thief, since they win by being accused of stealing diamonds.
Thieves are going to want to appear to be either loyal henchmen of FBI/CIA agents, depending on their preferred depth of battle_of_wits.gif navel-gazing.
Driver wins if person to their right wins, so take driver if you think you have guy to your right sussed and want to team up.
>>
So say the table looks like this, clockwise:
1. Godfather (removes 5 diamonds)
2. Loyal Henchman (removes FBI)
3. Theif (3 diamonds)
4. Loyal Henchman
5. Driver
6. Thief (4 diamonds)
7. Loyal Henchman
8. Street Urchin (removes nothing, wins if a thief wins, default choice of anyone who recieves an empty box or option always available to last player)
Godfather can generally pick one of three strategies, interrogate clockwise,
interrogate ccw, or cherry pick at random. Say he goes cw.
2 says: The truth, since loyal.
3 says: recieved box agrees with what 1 said, claims to have taken driver since obviously 1 would take loyal henchman.
4 says: 3 is full of shit, I recieved 7 diamonds and only two roles were missing. 2 denies it, says 3 is covering his ass and is the thief.
5 says: 2, 3 and 4's stories add up to accurate accounting of recieved box, only question is which is lying.
6 says: Recieved box with only 3 diamonds left, so 5 must also be a thief. A misplay which will get him caught.
7 says: Recieved only 3 diamonds and took the last loyal henchman.
8 says: There was still a loyal henchman when I got it, and I took it.
Godfather gets back 3 diamonds.

Right away godfather can be confident 6 is being dishonest, either because is a thief or because is FBI trying to look like one. Since he can be reasonably confident that 1 was honest and removed FBI, he decides to accuse 6. If, as 6 claims, 5 was a thief, 5 would have claimed to recieve the box with only 3 left to cover himself. Godfather accuses 6, gets back 4 diamonds. On a guess, godfather decides it's unlikely that the third loyal; henchman token made it all the way to the last player, and since 7 reports the same number of diamonds remaining as the box he got back, 8 must be an urchin. The remaining puzzle is just whether 3 or 4 has the remaining three diamonds. Since the godfather has not yet used his one joker to avoid losing on a wrong accusation, the game is in the bag. Players 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7 win.
>>
Kinda a skewed example, but I think it illustrates the point as well as some of the upsides and problems the game has. Also I'm not writing another one because holy shit.
>>
>>46054441
Oh wow, that helps a lot, thank you.
So there is a little bit of luck and knowing yiur friends involved, wasn't sure about that
>>
>>46054441
So, misdirection vs deduction. Sounds like chaos and personal charisma can derail it fast, like werewolf, where the guy that shouts loudest wins and the introvert is ignored/killed right off the bat.
>>
>>46055186
I find it a lot less chaotic and derail-able than werewolf and resistance, since there's so much more useful infomation available to be shared. The players attempting to deduce the gamestate generally have enough info for the puzzle to be interesting without pointlessly obfuscated, and the players attempting to obfuscate have interesting decisions about what lie to tell, not just NO U A SPY.
>>
>>46052088

Holy shit.
Yes please!
>>
I usually prefer ameritrash. Something about luck ramps up the tension tenfold for me. As for favorite developer, so far Slugfest Games can do no wrong in my eyes. The Red Dragon Inn is my favorite game of all time.
>>
File: 1451765442050.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451765442050.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
>>46052088
>by CMoN
fuck
>>
>>46055577
I'm not familiar with CMoN's games, can you tell more?
>>
>>46055741
Kickstart everything, use a ton of extra content as kickstarter backer exclusives.
Great models, not always great games. But they always look pretty!

It is the kickstarter portion that riles some people the most.
>>
>>46055780
>Great models,
coughRelicKnightscough
>>
>>46049920

I played Last Night on Earth a few times and thought it was terrible, one of the worst modern board games I've played. It's just a bunch of zombie movie tropes thrown into a box with no regard for synergy between the different elements.

I played City of Horror once, it was okay, don't really remember it too well.

Haven't played the others. I'm interested in checking out Dead of Winter, Plaid Hat makes solid games.
>>
>>46055813
Relic Knights was actually produced by Ninja Division. CMoN was only the publisher for it.
>>
>>46046459
Is that anything to do with the computer game of the same name? I've seen that on Steam, and I keep wondering if I should pull the trigger on it, so to speak.
>>46052088
>>46052445
... Huh.
>>46054394
One other thing to bear in mind if you're the first one being handed the box... NEVER take the CIA agent. It just makes the round play out the exact same way every damn time, which is no fun.
>>46055531
>The Red Dragon Inn
Now there's a game that has no business being fun... I'd get it myself, but it's a bit pricey in my country for some reason.
>>
>>46057086
>Is that anything to do with the computer game of the same name? I've seen that on Steam, and I keep wondering if I should pull the trigger on it, so to speak.

I don't think it is, no. But I know nothing about the PC game.

My vague understanding is that Rebellion is a bit like War of the Ring. Assymetrical wargame with imperfect information/bluffing/etc.
>>
>>46057086
First player should never take CIA, and more than they should take diamonds, especially if the godfather takes all five diamonds. You can't thieve because the second player will know. Driver and loyal henchman are equivalent since godfather is to your right. And taking CIA is an auto-lose since the only rational options are CIA or loyal, and the godfather isn't going to want to accuse either.
>>
>>46044876
I recommend T.I.M.E Stories. The narrative of the base game is well crafted and it feels fresh and innovative. It's great for a trusted group.
>>
>>46057432
any more than*
>>
>>46057498
heard it's good but has very low replayability, maybe I'd buy it, play the fun out of it and trade
>>
>>46049895
I would cost such a card at $6 (6 coins) or higher. That said I really don't see any room in Dominion for a card like that. First because it would have to cost too much (below are some examples of reasonably costed cards that had to get other drawbacks built in).

Second, why do you need +2A if you're not using terminal actions? You'd be just as well served by Laboratory if it was the only action you base the deck around ($5 +2C +1A)

I'll just assume there's a second, terminal action you're planning to one-of, so I can go through my examples

Inn is a $5 action with +2C +2A but also has the drawback of "discard two cards." There's a valuable on-gain effect, but even without it I think $5 is roughly correct for the value of Village with card churn like Inn. It's a card with a very specific use, and like most villages you want it for the utility of comboing but also finding cards for your combo without regard for some junk that may have found its way in your deck. It clearly cannot be the singular focus of the deck because of the negative card advantage. Inn would perform really poorly by itself (but really well with Tunnel and a terminal Tunnel gainer)

Lost City is another $5 action with +2C +2A and a potentially dangerous "on gain, your opponents draw a card" effect. I think this makes it clear that Donald X really wants you to weigh that extra card draw carefully against unseen costs. In order to make a deck focused around this one card, you are paying forward the extra card draw to your opponents X times (and they get instant gratification while you have to wait).

Tldr use Lab instead

>>46055780
It was semi-confirmed that most of CMoN's releases this year won't be kickstarted.
>>46057432
Solve this with a d4 or d6. Only Godfather and guy to left see the result. The result determines how many diamonds to take out of the game. I also think the first guy should take out the role chip blindly after he goes.
>>
>>46057993
I've tried that, and it's not a bad solution. I'd like to come up with a nonrandom fix, maybe involving the last player instead of the godfather, but haven't hit on anything I really like yet.
>>
>>46057086
The board game seems to be at least in part inspired by the video game. As for the video game...

Do you like slow, plodding grand strategy games with a focus on agent usage, random events, and construction, with actual combat being 2% of the game and rather unsatisfying?

It's the bottom of the old LucasArts games, but it's still an interesting endeavor.
>>
>>46059805
Ah... it's like Yoda Stories - it would've been good, except they couldn't be bothered.
>>
>>46039905
Man, I hate this image. It's not even real SFB but some fan wank which is trying to force late The Next Generation into the Original Series rules. Never going to happen.
And it plays shit too.

Original SFB is brilliant.
>>
what is best non-TTR gateway game with a physical board?
>>
>>46061453
pandemic
>>
>>46061453
Stone Age for euro, Memoir 44 for a duel, or Flash Point/Pandemic for co-op.
>>
>>46061453
Tales of The Arabian Nights. Minifig did an unboxing of it a few days ago, which was kinda neat.
>>
>>46061525
was thinking about stone age
>>46062355
what of 'above and below'? TotAN seems kind of rulsey
>>
>>46062600
>TotAN seems kind of rulsey
If you want to simplify it and make it streamlined, use the app for the story bits and lower Story/Destiny total to 10 combined, as well as add a rule that you can only have 2 Status cards at once. Some of them really fuck you over.

It's not rule heavy, the worst thing is how to use the skills, and even that's easy enough.
>>
This looks interesting. Anyone know anything about those involved?

http://pandasaurusgames.com/project/wasteland-express-delivery-service/
>>
>>46063605
Not a clue, but I'm sold on artwork and setting. Website says one of the designers is the guy behind Dead of Winter, so there's that, at least.
>>
>>46052088
I read it's described as a card game based on chalice dungeons. Excitement dispersed.
>>
>>46065977

Eric Lang @eric_lang
Bloodborne: risk management with a bit of groupthink, inventory management/upgrades and tactical play in an intense 30 minute card game.

Am I alone in thinking this sounds profoundly mediocre?
>>
>>46066026
It really sounds like the least likely translation of the Souls series to a board game I would have expected and also an odd style of Lang game.

Wait and see I guess.
>>
>>46057685
same. worse than that, I've heard it's terribly repetitive (and somewhat broken in this regard) and that the ending is pretty much 'well that's the end! you won!'
>>
Do not bump quietly into that good night.
Rage, rage, against the bumping in the night
>>
>>46063605
>IDW Publishing
I know it'll be expensive.
>>
>>46065977
You know it's just going to be the old Resident Evil deck building game with BB pasted-on, and since every weapon and most bosses have chalice dungeon instances that statement means basically nothing.
>>
>>46039735
That sure isn't Blokus
>>
Anyone else here play Homeworlds or other icehouse games? I haven't found anyone else who plays them. I recently got a 3house set just to play that one game, but there are at least another 300 out there floating around the internet.
>>
>>46070191
>tfw you love IDW as a comic book company, but you're kinda iffy on their games
They've got Machi Koro and... yeah.
>>
>>46070260
Played Zendo, it's not bad but could easily take forever if your build rules are complex. I like the idea of icehouse pyramids, but none of the games really stand out as a reason to buy them. I think the best excuse to own any would be as a design piece on a coffee table; but then again a nice Crokinole board, or a custom made Tumblin dice would do the same, and be more likely to get played around my house.

>>46071934
They've done a shit job handling Machi Koro, it could be much bigger than it is. They've got Yedo though, which is supposed to be the step up from Waterdeep, and more importantly got the distribution rights to Cat Tower.
>>
Hey BGG I got a buddy who wants me to try to learn Runewars with him. Is it worth the time to learn it, because it seems fiddly as fuck?

Also, What is your opinion on Dungeonquest?
>>
>>46072072

>Dungeonquest

Prepare to die. That game is literally just playing to see what kills your character. Approach it like it is a rougelike boardgame and accept the whole group will absolutely die almost 100% of the time and some folks will die within the first fucking move and you will enjoy it.

The absolute best tactic is to grab a random gold drop from a room reward as fast as possible and leave the dungeon right then. The player with the most gold wins, right? If you make it out alive with just 50 gold in your pocket, odds are high you will win the game because that thing just churns adventurers into paste. There is absolutly zero skill or strategy involved, but, to be fair, it is easy to reset, easy to set-up, quick to learn, and just a silly game on the whole to line up to die in.

Just don't get 3e, they made the combat needlessly complex for that one. Revised fixed it and made it Rock Paper Scissors combat.
>>
File: pic1666287_lg.png (1 MB, 1024x787) Image search: [Google]
pic1666287_lg.png
1 MB, 1024x787
>>46070260

I love Homeworlds.
One of my favorite abstract strategy games of all time. It might be one of the most elegant rulesets ever conceived. Right up there with Go.

Unfortunately my friends prefer Zendo & Volcano. Filthy casuals. :-(
>>
>>46072716
>>46070260

If you're considering buying more pyramids for Homeworlds, I would suggest just getting enough for Binary Homeworlds initially and seeing how you like it. The two player variant is a bit better than the multiplayer version, imo.

There are also a couple of options for online play, iirc.
>>
Guys I need your help. I know these are two completely different games but it's between the two... which one should I get? I watched videos and reviews and comments about both and they both sound really great. I just can't decide which one to get. And don't say get both. Only one. For now.

Which one would you recommend?
>>
>>46073033
Get both. I usually buy games according to a niche that they fill, for example at the moment I lack some filler games so that's what I'd be buying next.

With that knowledge, go for Roll for the Galaxy if right at this moment you would rather:
>roll plenty of dice
>play something thinky and figure out a strategy for both short term and long term effects
>introduce a euro into a moderately experienced (used to longer than usual rules explanation) game group or into your collection

On the other hand, go for Dead of Winter if right during this moment you would rather
>play a zombie game, with the survival and conflicts that usually come with the genre
>a chance to play as either a sneaky traitor or suss out a possible traitor
>interact more with the other players, not just by discussing or trash talking, but also observing them for chances to activate Crossroads cards
>>
>>46073033
Between the two I'd take DoW, if only because there's more player interaction.
>>
>>46072716
>those pieces
jesus christ. and people bitch about d4 dice being potentially injurious to health.
>>
>>46073488
You're not supposed to insert either into your anus.
>>
>>46073033
I own both - DoW has a lot of player interaction but is the more complex of the two games. Roll is a nice medium level Euro game that's fairly easy to teach. Both have a lot of replayability. Which setting or theme do you / your group like more?
>>
>>46073721
Don't tell me how to live my life.
>>
File: Come play with me.....jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Come play with me.....jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
Share collection time?
Sharing collection time!

How horribly/incredibly do you store your games and all their myriad expansions.
STEEV can sit this one out, his place makes me feel inadequate.
>>
>>46074665
Collection part deux, as my phone sucks at anything remotely distant.

It is missing more euros, especially of the meaty variety, but I think it can cater to a wide variety of gaming folks. Just don't ask for whatever is still in the shrink wrap.
>>
>>46074665
You don't even want to see my place right now, haven't hosted a decent game night in a month, table is a mess, covered in a weird mix of quilts and gun cleaning equipment / gun parts / ammunition.
And there's at least three guys around here with way nicer game rooms than me.
>>
File: evolution new high score.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
evolution new high score.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
What is the most impressive accomplishment you have achieved in a game?
My latest one was this blow out in evolution. Two predators at max pop getting their fill defensive traits be damned. My other species were scavenging or eating with long necks. Watering hole? No thanks bruv, there be crocs there.

Ended at just over 100 points.

Luckily, the two teens I was with were not too put down by the stomp, and we had a tight game of Merchants and Marauders afterwards. First time playing it since I used to to propose, so a bit over 2 years ago. Damn it is a good game. I feel like a damn privateer. I need to invite just two people from my regular crowd over and give it another go more frequently from now on.
>>
>>46074704

Merchants & Marauders pollutes other games on it's shelf to a depth of four boxes in every dimension.
>>
File: 1426574583067.jpg (13 KB, 251x189) Image search: [Google]
1426574583067.jpg
13 KB, 251x189
>>46074767
>no decent game night in a month

I hear ya there. I got a job retail few months back, and it means I always work Friday nights and weekends. Weekend evenings have been reserved for family functions mostly, and all my game friends now work out of town or the 9-5 weekday. So no one wants to game except for when I am working.

Gaming with my wife's cousins once removed only happened because of March break. Normally she comes too, but of course, work...

Apart from that, it has been one on one nights on the odd occasion I go visit my med school bud in Toronto, or convince someone to come over on a weeknight.

So I am still getting my gaming fix, but it isn't the same as having 4-5 people over and just shit talking over Sheriff or Chaos.

>>46074790
bwuh....huh?
>>
File: ga.jpg (257 KB, 1099x791) Image search: [Google]
ga.jpg
257 KB, 1099x791
I promised myself that I would only buy enough games to fill this cabinet, and I'll probably hit that limit when Millennium Blades comes in. They're usually more neatly arranged, but I'm procastinating removing the dividers on the right.

I have all these great games but it's impossible to get more than 3 people together at a time for one reason or another.
>>
I know leddit and all, but what do you guys think about this Asmodee controversy?

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4aqp5g/anton_torres_of_asmodee_north_america_states_that/
>>
File: Indeed[1].jpg (108 KB, 456x447) Image search: [Google]
Indeed[1].jpg
108 KB, 456x447
>>46075001
>has so many games that I have, plus more I would love to play.
>he also has millenium blades coming in

I would come over to your game night so hard
>>
>>46075018

Monopolists gonna monopolize
>>
>>46075018
>He thinks that consumers should be buying games at a higher price, that board games should be a luxury item that people commit to and invest in.

Are board games not already a luxury item? The moment you are regularly purchasing 30-60$ games on a regular basis, either you love debt or are already in an good financial state to make it a hobby. To say that it needs to be even more expensive feels like:
>fuck being an inclusive and expanding community, we only want whales in our niche.

The idea that gamers should also be going to conventions in order to demo and buy games face to face is also just silly. I have been in the hobby for around 8 years, but I have never gone to a board game convention. It is an experience with too many expenses attached. I can't afford the transportation, lodging, food, and entry prices. Same goes for probably a lot of other people. So, if I still support my local stores, but also buy online when they just don't have what I am looking for in stock, that makes me less desirable of a customer?

Fuck that twat, and it sucks that ffg is going to be happily following along.

I am still waiting for the kickstarter bubble to burst, and can see how, yea, there is an incredible glut of games. I cannot be bothered to follow "the new hotness" anymore, as it is cycling so fast. But if the market collapses, how much would that hit the titan publishers? People are still gonna buy solid, well known and received games from Z-Man, Asmodee, Games of Wonder, Rio Grande, and FFG. It is the little guys that depend on kickstarter and hype, like Lvl99 Games, that would suffer the most.
>>
>>46075229
>Are board games not already a luxury item?
As someone who buys maybe 2-3 games a year and gets another 3-5 on my b-day/Xmas, yeah it's definitely a luxury. However I do go to 2-3 cons a year to demo games and it's completely worth it. It helps my sister lives in Indy, and I can pick up extra work down there when taking a few days off for a local con, or a week for Gencon, but I spent $100 on all 3 cons I went to last year (badges and event tix for Gencon, and two local free cons) demoed maybe 20 games and of those 20, realized that I only really "needed" to own 4, and wanted another 3 or 4. It cut my buy list by more than half, which is a whole lot of games that I no longer track prices, shipping, expansions, etc for. If there's a con in your town (I live in a metro area of 150k people and there's one that's free) it's well worth going. If not, try to convince the local meetup group to start one, renting a community center is cheap, or partnering with a store, and it'll get people who normally don't go to a meetup to show, with games you might not've seen before.

All that said it's clear ANA is being run by fuckwits, and hopefully this doesn't spread to our Eurobros, or other companies. I've only been back in the hobby for 5-6 years after a 12-15 year break, I'd rather not have to give up gaming because everyone thinks their new microgame should have an MSRP $24.99

Side note: I wanna buy Chaz Marler a beer for being the only reviewer constantly needling them for this. The rest of the Dice Tower guys were calling everyone chicken little for crying over a policy not yet enacted and everyone else seems to have taken a wait and see, get raped, wait some more, and not say anything approach.
>>
>>46073033
Neither desu, but that's because DoW hasn't hit the table in over a year, and I don't really like Roll. I'm in the minority on Roll, but I know several people who got Dead of Winter (including myself) and fell out of love with it quickly
>>46075018
The arguments they're making don't make sense because they're being disingenuous about who they're protecting. They're protecting their own brands from looking like bargain bin trash, but mostly they're trying to win over LGS's to get more shelf space. It could amount to very small changes in price of Asmodee products, but the perception of fighting for B&Ms will generate enough goodwill that stores may devote whole shelves to Asmodee products, grateful that they're "finally competitive" on price. Within Asmodee, there's probably a perception that we are whales who will buy their products at any price, despite the controversy, and they don't foresee any actual drop in units sold.
>>
I am personally goycotting asmodee editions / asmodee owned publishers after those comments.
>>
File: image.jpg (228 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
228 KB, 960x720
>>46075001
>>46074704
>>46074665
My collection. What should I add? I need a family game that is also good with 2 player but meatier that carcassonne. Any other holes in my collection?
>>
>>46075588
>>46073841
>>46073487
>>46073395

Thanks for your input guys. I have decided to go with DoW mainly because of player interaction and the possibility of intrigue and bluffing and betrayal which is always a very fun element, especially in a group that often plays Secret Hitler.

Thanks again.
>>
>>46077607
>tfw you already own every FFG & Asmodee product you want

Wew lads, just in time.
>>
>>46078650
>tfw you will never be able to buy one of those cool FFG deck boxes because asmod(e_e) owns ffg
>>
>>46071934
Chew is actually a remarkably fun card game with great fuck-you gaming potential, but the slight issue that since all gameplay strength comes from the deck, a bad opening hand may cripple the rest of the game. It would probably sell better if it were reskinned as weird CIA rather than deliberate in-jokes of a series.
>>
>>46071934
They have machi koro which is good game.

Tammany hall which is the best area control game on the market but with a dry theme.

Yedo which is a really good WP that deserves many love from weaboo

And recently Cat Tower, which will be the new CAH.

Rest of their games are shit though
>>
>>46078349
Nobody?
>>
>>46045587
The four factions in Forbidden Stars have different amounts of units but also different total game strategies. Space Marine is focused on establishing as many bastions as possible and is a very defensive game whereas orks use their global to build large swarms of boys that are easily replaceable but can overwhelm a system temporarily while the eldar player teleports units around the map as need be while having the strongest navy, able to lock sectors down from outside.
>>
>>46075018
It was just a matter of time. This always happens when someone realises there's money in a hobby. Fuck that, fuck Asmodee, fuck FFG and that fucker who sold out.
>>
>>46080222
Dem trips.
Also, here's hoping that designers realise that this kind of business practice ends up hurting pretty much everyone in the industry and risk taking their designs to small publishers.
>>
>>46035232
>>46041666
have you even played Diplomacy?
>>
>>46080391
That's not confrontation, anon... that's lie-to-your-face-then-stab-you-in-the-back.
>>
>>46070260
fyi they announced this recently
http://www.looneylabs.com/Pyramid-Arcade
>>
File: IMG_20160317_194236.jpg (6 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160317_194236.jpg
6 MB, 4160x3120
Rate this BattleCON to-go box:

>BattleCON: War Remastered box
>2x small-sized boards from War and Fate
>all of the standard, EX, Almighty, and tag bases from all BC games
>all of the life dials, turn dials, standee clips, and asst counters
>8 beginner friendly characters
Hikaru, Luc von Gott, Vanaah, Kalistar, Eligor, Shekhtur, Alexian and Cadenza
>Borneo and Juto
For silliness and introductory games. I find intro games work better when I play Borneo or Juto, with 6 standard bases and one random unique base from their kit, and the new player plays one of the above beginner friendly characters. It tends to be less of a slaughter, as Borneo and Juto are quite weak.
>~10 more advanced characters to be rotated with time, aiming at 1 promo character, 3 'master' characters, and 6 'intermediate characters'
Currently have Raederick Blackforge, Alumis, Seth, Clive, Baenvier, Jager, Hepzibah, Khadath, Irialandradayamorella, and Lesandra loaded up
>All 6 of the boss characters, for 1 vs many play

Goal is to have a portable box that can introduce new players, support multiplayer play, have enough characters for 4 player mini-tournaments, and still be entertaining for experts to play with.
>>
>>46078650
What's some of their good stuff that I can pick up before the price increase?
>>
>>46078349
Gemblo, Mijnlieff, Dodekka... maybe Viticulture?
>>46079020
>>46079153
Good to know. I considered adding Chew to the /co/-related games list, but I'd heard it wasn't that great.
>>
>>46081131
They have a bunch of good games, several are still in my wishlist.

Blood Bowl Team Manager, Android, Rex, TI3, Shadows over Camelot, Wiz War, CitOW, Battlelore, Civilization, Eldritch/Arkham Horror, Space Hulk Death Angel, Diskwars, Cosmic Encounter, Mission Red Planet,
Their LCGs and miniatures games are mostly good too
AGoT has several editions, not sure which one is the good one
>>
Hey guys does anyone happen to have a PDF or similar with the english rules for The Resistance. and would be kind to share?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>46081449
Summary from BGG
>>
>>46072031
If Yedo were going to be the next Waterdeep it would be by now. As it is it's just Waterdeep for those with taste.
>>
>>46049920
LNoE is fantastic, but is also the most Ameritrash game I think I've ever played.

The art takes some getting used to (for some - it had to grow on me, but everyone else I've played it with just loved it immediately once they realized it was just "B Horror Movie" themed), and the mechanics are SUPER random.

But, that all said, it's easily the most enjoyed game that I've personally played. Every game, even if it was a completely one-sided roflstomp, had both sides having a blast.

Do note that Timber Peak is the "modern" starter for the game. It's probably a better stand-alone experience overall. Though I have freaking everything, and I do not regret it in the slightest.
>>
File: 100-73.png (510 KB, 422x750) Image search: [Google]
100-73.png
510 KB, 422x750
Together me and some buds chipped in for some board games galore.

Rate our haul?

Puerto Rico
Citadels
Pixel Tactics
Doomtown Reloaded
Forbidden Desert
Splendor
Upper Deck Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

So far only played Citadels and I love it.
>>
>>46081797

>that list

I suggest bringing a variety of concealed weapons to your gaming sessions from now on. You're probably going to need them.
>>
>>46081611
It was never going to be the "next" Waterdeep, but it has been the next step up in worker placement for a while now.
>>
File: post.jpg (200 KB, 600x542) Image search: [Google]
post.jpg
200 KB, 600x542
>>46081797
8.5/10 anon, breddy gud
Bonus points if cheap
>>
>>46082010
LoW came out in 2012.
Stone Age came out in 2008 and Pillars of the Earth came out in 2006. LoW was never a "step up."
>>
>>46082163
Is your reading comprehension really that bad? We're talking about Yedo in comparison to Waterdeep.
>>
>>46082252
I inferred incorrectly that LoW was the previous step up.
>>
>>46081560
Thanks anon!

>>46081797
I really enjoy Splendor, but its not the more complex game.
>>
>>46081108
If you can fit all this shit in the War box, go for it. It really depends on the situation you plan on busting it out in though.
I'd focus more on bringing in a wide variety of playstyles (do you really need Alexian AND Cadenza?), since I feel like the difficulty rating more applies to the skill ceiling rather than skill floor.
>>
>>46082681
I see the point against having both Alexian and Cadenza, but I'm not sure who to switch them out for. The goal there is to have characters that people can pick purely off of appearance with no knowledge of the game and still have a good first match with. About the only other character I can imagine that would fit that would be Karin & Jager, but I've had people actually get frustrated with the wolf management and level of planning she needs.
>>
>>46082681
>>46082773
Actually, looking at the roster, Rexan might actually be a competitor here... He is mechanically more complicated than the others (but only slightly), yet his skill floor is really low. He doesn't need to worry about his tokens at all, those are problems for his opponents. I mean, of course, a good Rexan abuses the fuck out of his opponent and makes them feel like ante'ing those tokens is never a good idea, but just to be competent with him you can treat them as fire and forget curses.

Maybe I'm just overemphasizing his simplicity, though, because he's one of my most played characters so I know him inside out.
>>
>>46081286
was considering viticulture but worried its too heavy, also looking at stone age, alhambra, and ticket to ride. TTR i just dont like because the board is so ugly.
>>
>>46081797
puerto rico is the game of the 2000-2010 decade
>>
>>46083560
It's how I got my friends into games.
TtR is barely a step up from Monopoly.
>>
>>46083518
Stone Age and Alhambra are both good intro level games with more depth than TtR.
>>
>>46081108
Damn son. I'm impressed with how much you fit but that pile of baggies is kind of shit. I shouldn't talk though because my BattleCON organization is also shit.

With regard to this >>46082773 I found a /r/battlecon thread where one guy went over the Fate characters and which ones fit in which Devastation flights. For beginner he had: Jager, Alumis, Baenvier, and Sarafina
>>
>>46084347
>Alumis and Sarafina in beginner
Really? I found those to be the second and third most complicated characters in Fate. Granted I haven't played as either yet, but at first glance Sarafina is only slightly less complicated than Tanis, and Alumis looks really prediction heavy because you have no control over how the shadow marker moves yet it determines damn near everything you do. Maybe in practice they turn out to be simple, but at a glance I find them pretty high up there.

In the end I switched Alexian out for Jager. He's a little bit more complicated than the others, as he has a couple styles with three effects on them, but I think he'll still be okay. Jager's difficulty comes from knowing when to use his signature moves, but as long as you warn the new player that they're all fairly easy to dodge and to consider that when playing them it should be alright. Probably.

I decided against Karin because she requires some ability to plan movement out across beats, which is something I know from experience new players can't do. Rexan got axed because it turns out a ton of his effects key off of how many curse tokens the opponent has, and the Rexan player has little control over that number so it requires a degree of prediction which, again, the new player won't have. It's probably for the best, anyways; having Rexan in the box would be too tempting for me, and people don't like it when I play Rexan...
>>
File: LittleEngine5.jpg (86 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
LittleEngine5.jpg
86 KB, 480x320
m8s, you gotta help me with this. You seem like the board genies of this 4chan board and I need someone to figure out the clues on how to find a game for me.

Like, it should be easy to google, but no, fuck that shit. I know it's not "Colt Express" or any of that shit. The board game in itself had no board, it had a fucking electronic train that the colorful bandits had to climb upon. They also had to get go through various buildings that were also made out of plastic. I don't fucking know what the goal was, probably getting onto the moving train and shit like that.
Since I come from Germany, it might be a german guy, but the fuck do I know, I haven't played it since 1999.

This is giving me diarrhea from not finding it (I used to have it once a week around 4pm) and I want it to stop.
>>
>>46084347
Also, for the baggies, they look ugly as shit but they're actually really well organized. I ordered some 3.5" x 4.5" zip bags online, $5.80 with free shipping for 100 count, and that should help. Big enough to fit an enormous kit like Endrbyt's, but not big enough to make a tiny kit flop around everywhere. Plus, the zip is on the top and not the side, so all that waste on top goes away.
>>
>>46084524
he actually edited his list after playing them. Before he actually tried them he put Sarafina at intermediate and Alumis at advanced. He explained why Alumis went from Advanced to Beginner like this:

>In theory, she's tricky, because a smart opponent gets to mess with your UA and, to some extent, control its movement, potentially making you whiff certain things, plus, the whole positional control game seems a bit harder to execute well- So I figured she fit where Khadath would.
>In practice, her styles are strong enough to take out a lot of the risks and guesswork, and her UA is like Karen & Jager's, except simpler, since the Alumis player doesn't have to worry about strategic implications and setting her marker for future beats, instead simply taking advantage of whatever is available any given beat.
>>
>>46084637
Huh. Makes sense. I'll take another look at her, then.

Still surprised at Sarafina, though. I had her pegged as only slightly less complicated than Tanis, and Tanis is fucking complicated.
>>
>>46074780
Good game? I always am tempted when I see it at Barnes & Noble. That and Machi Koro. Too many games in the backlog though...
>>
>getting hyped for Millennium Blades
>reading through the rulebook
>read about friendship cards
>remember Lettstrad
>read the update about Lettstrad's ability

This... this is a game, where being nice to people, IS A LEGITIMATE STRATEGY FOR WINNING. There is a character who SPECIALIZES in BEING NICE TO PEOPLE. She is EXTRA GOOD at BEING NICE, and that gives her more money and more opportunity for victory points.

I can't even. This fucking game. This shit needs to be in my hands yesterday.
>>
>>46085347
See pic related for context. It's beautiful.
>>
>>46085359
I really hate the coloring for MB, but that seems to be the artist's style. I want some nice vibrant colors on my cards.
>>
>>46084608
I'm sorry, I've spent a bit looking for it, to no avail.

My only recommendation now is to ask anyone who might have a connection to that time: Your parents, siblings, grandparents, caretakers, even friends you had at that time.

It might sound a little weird, but in general, saying "hey, I've had this stuck in my head a little while, do you remember (DESCRIPTION)? It's been bugging me" doesn't make you sound crazy. And sometimes, you'll get an answer you don't expect. One time I brought up a song my mother used to sing us to my brother, and he immediately knew what I was talking about, and had already talked to my mom about it.
>>
>>46085160
Not that guy, but my understanding is that Evolution is fairly popular. It's on the heavier end, however, so keep that in mind. Machi Koro, on the other hand, is quite light, especially if you don't spring for the Deluxe edition. It's like, Catan Jr level.
>>
Is city of iron any good?
>>
File: Motherbase RPG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Motherbase RPG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I know it's like 4am but anyone wanna spitball some shit with me?

I'm trying to pick up an old project where I wanted to create a board game. The original idea was based on Metal Gear Solid V and Peacewalker, with a bit of XCOM. Base building, sending recruits on missions, that sort of thing. Closest board game approximation I can think of is Dead of Winter. Now that I'm picking it back up after seven months, I'm changing the theme from modern future military to a fantasy guild thing.

I'm running into a problem again in that I want the game to be complex without requiring the tons of set up that games like Dead of Winter, Talisman, or Arkham Horror require.

I want there to be a system where you get Recruits that all have different statistics and you manage who gets put on missions and who gets kept behind to get put on building duty. Doing randomly generated characters is damned near impossible--tracking stats *and* tracking which token is which sheet/card would be super impossible--but something like Dead of Winter's character recruitment *also* seems frustrating. This is my main issue at the moment. How do I manage all of these mechanics?

For anyone curious, here's the original notes (or at least the ones I saved online)
http://pastebin.com/MJVhVNA3
http://pastebin.com/3CSeKArY
http://pastebin.com/6qyvPxVU
And the pdf attached. These are like super inconsistent because I updated as I went along and didn't backfill because I'm an idiot who's terrible at taking notes.

I wish I had a larger game's vocabulary. I've played more board games than the average person, but I've played few of them more than once.
>>
>>46085347
>Missed the Kickstarter
>Wanted to buy it from their website
>Couldn't

Damn shame, it looked really good, too.
>>
>>46088765
You can still preorder it. Or wait til it hits shops approximately 3 and a half days after backers get it. The KS bonuses are really minor, even by L99 standards.
>>
>>46088736
Minis with bases that have sufficient information should work. Barring that tokens would suffice, just have them be as detailed as wargame chits. It'd make it easy for players to randomly choose a recruit too, just pull them out of a bag.
>>
>>46088845
That's actually something I hadn't thought of.

I'm currently reading through the XCOM board game stuff, to see how they handle recruits.
>>
>>46088928
I heard XCOM's was just "send x recruits to do a mission", then roll to see if you pass. Though that might've been a biased comment.

Another method would be to completely use cards, maybe make it a combination of a deckbuilder and a tableau building game (San Juan, Race for the Galaxy). That would offer some interesting methods for using the recruits. Though I think I might be heading away from your original idea.

Do throw a post at /gdg/ once they're up again too.
>>
File: pic2057374.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
pic2057374.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
>>46088845
>>46088928
>>46088736
You could blatantly copy Talon and have laminated chits that can be written on with dry erase markers. It's a fuckin' genius idea, so use it.
>>
File: pic2926220_lg.jpg (589 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pic2926220_lg.jpg
589 KB, 1024x768
>>46089015
Eugh, just realized that that's a prototype board. Pic related is the final product.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (170 KB, 840x500) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
170 KB, 840x500
>>46088736
you should put a IP disclaimer so your work isnt stolen, better safe than sorry.

how many stats are you dealing with?

I would use a cards with tracks for each statistic, and place a marker on the current value, or use a dice for a value marker like biblios.

the great thing about using cards for this shit is it gives room for art and fluff text.
>>
>>46089069
to clarify, I mean one card per unit with multiple tracks for relevant statistics, not card per statistic with multiple markers.
>>
>>46089069
>>46088736
Seeing that pic reminded me of Small World's mix and match races, that could work well for randomizing stats too.
>>
File: Starting Recruits.png (1015 KB, 1262x1631) Image search: [Google]
Starting Recruits.png
1015 KB, 1262x1631
>>46089015
>>46089032
I've been wanting to avoid the whole dry erase thing. I'm not really into the whole "living board game" thing like Shadowrun Crossfire or Risk Legacy. I want the game to be variable, but to always start from the same position.

>>46089069
>>46089080
The trouble there is I'd need some way to connect the card to the meeple/token/pawn that represents the character. Dead of Winter does that decently, but Dead of Winter also has a set number of characters (which might be what I do). Still spitballing.
Also, I'm not worried about my idea being stolen. I mean, "base building and sending units on missions" isn't a new idea, and if someone stole it--especially at this point--they'd need to do the whole thing on their own for it to be workable, so they'd basically earn it.

As for stats, the original card is pic related, but I'm probably going to trim that down. No need for most of the stats. You can also see where I had toyed with the idea of making check marks to determine stat growth, but I decided against that.

>>46088984
I do definitely want it to be sort of a tableau builder. I like the way that (again) Dead of Winter and Arkham Horror and Talisman and Betrayal at House on the Hill and games like that handle that, with equipment and bonuses and all of that.

>>46089103
Ooh, that's a good idea. Draw a class and then a talent for each recruit.

I know one thing I really want to do as well is the whole Player Board thing. I really love games where you get to choose your playstyle, whether it's the Wonder boards in 7 Wonders or your Investigator in Arkham Horror or your role in games like Pandemic.
>>
>>46089144
>I'm not really into the whole "living board game" thing like Shadowrun Crossfire or Risk Legacy. I want the game to be variable, but to always start from the same position.

Not the same anon, however that's not how Talon works from what I've understood. The dry erase thing is used to continually update the state of the ships as the game goes on - shields, damage, weapon charge, etc. Then when you're done with a game you wipe all the ships clean for the next game.
>>
File: Fight on Deck Crisis.png (124 KB, 900x540) Image search: [Google]
Fight on Deck Crisis.png
124 KB, 900x540
>>46089197
Ah. I suppose that is different, although another thing I want to avoid. In spitballing with some other folks one of the things they suggested was basically using character sheets for each character. I was originally going to actually have randomly generated stats for recruits. So you'd roll on a table and then need to keep track of that. It feels like it'd be... I don't know, it's just something I want to avoid, although I'm starting to wonder if maybe that's a kneejerk reaction to writing on cards...

I think what I'm about to do now that I've got a few more ideas (from reading the XCOM thing) is to go into GIMP and start putting together designs, seeing if anything grabs me.
>>
What are some filler/relatively easy games that are good with 6 people?
>>
File: PACG Link.jpg (357 KB, 1280x734) Image search: [Google]
PACG Link.jpg
357 KB, 1280x734
You know, thinking about it, maybe I should limit it to only one character for each player, instead of having everyone control a handful of them, and the additional character cards can be treated like equipment with special abilities...

I'm thinking something like the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, or maybe even the old DBZ card game (where you had your Hero and then allies). Or even EDH/Vanguard. Or Followers in Talisman.

Each player has a Guild Champion, which is a full character, then additional characters are allies that have special abilities. Then there are your little "go send people out on a mission" thing, which are generic meeples ranked by colour.
>>
>>46089814
Gemblo, One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Word Whimsy.
>>
File: xcom board game soldiers.jpg (232 KB, 1200x804) Image search: [Google]
xcom board game soldiers.jpg
232 KB, 1200x804
More from me:

I'm looking at the XCOM board game on Watch It Played and it's giving me ideas. It's not what I'd originally thought about doing, but it is certainly a good idea, with the way you have the reserve cards.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6 MB, 1256x3151) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6 MB, 1256x3151
Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.