[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>everyone's faces around the table when, eight sessions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: DIVE DIVE DIVE.png (167 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
DIVE DIVE DIVE.png
167 KB, 400x300
>everyone's faces around the table when, eight sessions into what must be your twentieth campaign together, one of the players casually says all those years he's been imagining "gnomes" as wearing pointy hats unless stated otherwise
>>
File: 1451774809469.gif (796 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1451774809469.gif
796 KB, 500x281
>>45961326
What a coincidence, me too!
>>
Do....Do all gnomes not wear pointy hats?
>>
>>45961354
Sometimes they wear pointy helmets.
>>
>>45961380
Over their pointy hats, yes.
>>
>>45961326
I always imagine the gnome race extinct unless stated otherwise.
>>
>>45961326
Is this a bad thing?
>>
>>45961326
Maybe it's a religious think, like yarmulkes. God only knows gnomes are Jews in all but name in half the settings already.
>>
>>45961453
That's dwarves, Billy Bob.
>>
>>45961424
Sometimes I imagine it extinct even when stated otherwise.
We must be the change we want to see in the world, after all.
>>
>>45961698
Kek
>>
Gnomes are cute. I prefer them to halflings.
>>
>>45961326
I once played a cannabalistic NE Gnome Druid in a 3.5e game.

I always made a point to have a nuce and pointy hat at all times, even making a somewhat impromptu sidequest to find one after I had lost mine.

>>45962138
Gnomes>Halflings.
>>
Tis where they hide the gold
>>
File: gnome garden.jpg (851 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
gnome garden.jpg
851 KB, 849x565
>>
I always imagined their skulls were conical.
>>
>>45964208
Did you like coneheads?
>>
I like Victoriana's depiction of them. There's a surprising bit of thought gone into explaining their evolution (as burrowing nocturnal scavengers, originally), and it adds the nice bit mentioning that despite having one of the longer lifespans among races (pretty sure they're only beaten by elves), they APPEAR to age very quickly. Which is to say, even relatively young gnomes look old. They just shrivel up completely around 30 or so and stay that way for the next couple of centuries.
>>
File: tumblr_nri7dgzHQk1t01ojso2_1280.png (807 KB, 670x918) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nri7dgzHQk1t01ojso2_1280.png
807 KB, 670x918
>>45962138
>>45962217

I just fold them together in my setting. Redundant short-arses are redundant, after all.

It's just that some like living the quiet life with stability and safety (a la hobbits), while others are quirky, clever, and more adventurous.
I'm avoiding the whole "wacky tinker" trope though. A whole species doesn't need to devote itself to gears and cogs.

There are also forest gnomes, are more fey-like than the regular kind, but seldom seen/interacted with as a result. Hats are a direct symbol of their station- some of which are pointy.
>>
>>45964500

Yeah, same here. In my setting gnomes and halflings are the same species with cultural differences, mostly based on how much they have to do with the fey.

The scale doesn't stop at gnome, of course. Gotta have redcaps.
>>
D&D gnomes are objectively superior to D&D halflings.
>>
>>45964274
Why would anything evolve these traits?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.