[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Balrum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: Balrum.jpg (501 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Balrum.jpg
501 KB, 1280x720
Let's give it some love, as it's one of the best Classic RPG released lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb2-CtoeYBY
>>
Thanks for bringing my attention to this. Wishlisted.
>>
What's a classic RPG in your interpretation? I was interested when I saw it in Steam suggestion the other day, but I don't want to jump in just now.
>>
>>45959667
Somewhere in the whereabouts of Fallout 2 / Diablo 2
>>
>>45959738
>Fallout 2 / Diablo 2
That's a very huge whereabout.
>>
>>45959377
>turn-based combat

Man I dont know, it looks good, not the usual pixel stuff and it also seems to have quite a lot of content but the last turn based game I enjoyed was JA 2.
>>
>>45959750
too bayd
>>
>>45959738
That's a fucking gulf sized where anon
>>
>>45959771
Man i loved Jagged Alliance 2... and totally despise the remake :(
>>
>>45959837
There was a remake?
>>
>>45959837
1.13 is what made an already good game great, shame the AI is still somewhat lackluster and the best strategy is still to hide behind a corner and lure them into your Mercs.
>>
>>45959377
I think Pillars of Eternity is a way better cRPG
>>
>>45959850
The strategy works well in all scenarios, even in real life... why storm in gun blazing when they have the advantage of being prepared and in cover. Just wait for them to get exposed and therefore vulnerable and in the sight of as many mercs possible,
>>
>>45959377
> Crafting

Fucking makes me leery, every turn based RPG with a crafting system seems to wank the fuck over it and skimp on actually being fun.

Like how they shove multiplayer into every goddamn FPS.

So, I'm pretty skeptical about the quality here.
>>
>>45959847
Jagged Alliance Flashback but i don't recommend it at all
>>
>>45959873
In real life six guys would be stomped by any kind of royal army. You are grossly outnumbered, any real life situation would see you encircled and destroyed by attrition if nothing else.
>>
>>45959850
Back In Action.
Dont even try, if you can buy a weapon DLC which gives you straight up top notch weapons right from the start, the game loses all credibility

>>45959873
Sure, but when you already SEE 5 dead corpses of your comrades around that corner, why even bother checking?
I do have to say they advanced the AI and the enemy even climbs roofs.

>>45959882
Thats my problem aswell, you could get good stuff out of it, like weapon crafting.
But at the same time it might only try to lure in the mninecraft/terraria people
>>
>>45959882
I agree. Crafting never seemed fun, unless the game is all about production chain to begin with.
>>
>>45959908
Crafting is not fun at all, and the whole idea of building yourself a house i find pretty useless. The only advantage is that you can have all crafting equipment in one place but that's not a big incentive to do it.
>>
>>45959952
Mixing genres together has gone too far. I want a game where I can kill orcs. I don't really want game where I need to balance books and manage production chain, but I can see that some would want it. What I can not see is how anyone would think a game about killing orcs where you need to balance books and manage production chain first is a good idea.
>>
>>45959908

Crafting like how it's handled in the Witcher series is barely tolerable, and even then only because it's pretty irrelevant unless you're powergaming.
>>
>>45959377
Thanks for shilling this, genuinely interested in it now. Gives me Spiderweb Software vibes, and those games are fantastic. Time to torrent away and see if it's actually any good before buying. I'll never understand why indie devs don't do demos when they're the ones that need to convince consumers to purchase it moreso than AAA games with their massive PR machines.
>>
>>45959894
>Sure, but when you already SEE 5 dead corpses of your comrades around that corner, why even bother checking?

I don't know man, there was this tale by one of the guys who fought at Ia Drang: he was holding his position and suddenly he sees a face peering from behind a rock, he shoots it and it disappears, only for it to appear again a moment later, so he shoots again. This goes on for something like a dozen times. After the battle he went and checked behind the rock, and there was a mess of dead bodies there.

This applies to western troops as well, like the ones who just came to the italian front during ww2 and, despite being warned by vets all the time still kept poking their heads out to be killed by snipers.
>>
File: 20.jpg (227 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
227 KB, 600x400
>>45959988
>>45959952

Agree with you both. Only way having to build a house could be interesting is if it took the dwarf fortress route and you had to design it to withstand attacks, add traps etc. rather than just being a place to dump your loot
>>
>>45959894
>>45960130
Newbies always get killed by snipers no matter how obvious the position is.

If you play some slow FPS like Red Orchestra you´ll notice how easy it is to pick them out. Oh man, a set of stairs with a corner at the end and a pile of corpses of my team laying right there? Gotta go see what killed them!
>>
>>45960421
Personally, I would like to see building a house as a testament to my progress and plot choices.

Like let me build a fort and allow recruiting of allies, who would occupy the rooms and see the fort grow. That would be gratifying. But most of the time is just shell out some cash and do irrelevant shit.
>>
>>45959738
Putting Fallout and Diablo anywhere near the same genre is like saying There Will Be Blood is the same thing as Blazing Saddles because they both take place in the western United States towards the end of the 1800s.
>>
>>45959377
This is one of those RPGs that are overrun by marauding slav hordes, right?
>>
File: 1448485470763.jpg (880 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1448485470763.jpg
880 KB, 2048x1536
>>45959893
>>45959894
I never understood how it was supposed to make any sense to have the mercs start out with handguns, which are much more strictly regulated and have shit for reach. I'd at least expect them to start out with some type of hunting rifles or some other type of longarm that won't set off all the alarms at every port.
>>
>>45960551
It would make more sense if they didn't bring their own equipment and you'd have to order it all from gun runners, but whatever.

I assume they don't fly commercial airlines and are apparently perfectly legal in JA-verse.
>>
>>45960568
>I assume they don't fly commercial airlines
They are deployed by helicopter every time in the beginning.
>>
>>45960610
I know. I was thinking more in terms how they travel from home to helicopter.
>>
>>45959882
This. Crafting is cancer.
>>
>>45959893
>six guys
>not having several squads on one battlefield
>>
So it's Harvest Moon. Why would I want to plant trees and herd pigs in my CRPG? Looks like casualized shit desu.
>>
>>45960737
Fine, it's 18 guys in unmodded game. Due to how it handles circling through squad having them all in one spot is inconvinient, although I see a point in bringing them in.

Usually bring from different directions so they could cover more spots more easily.
>>
>>45960786
Shadow and Ivan in a team can take out the whole Drassen airport even at night.
>>
ITT: hijacked by JA2, which i don't mind at all
>>
>>45959882
Couldn't agree more. Can't I just buy the weapons, instead of all the grind?
>>
>>45961100
I prefer Scope and Sidney, personally. Trevor is pretty handy to have around but damn that cunt gets expensive with levels.
>>
>>45959377
And where is roleplaying in this game? For trailer I see another 2D Minecraft clone.
>>
>>45961322
The only merc I always insist on using is Spider. Abort game if she's not present at the start and reload if she dies (Everyone else is a fair game as long as it doesn't ruin my game long-term)

>>45961100
And it's unrealistic. But it's not supposed to be realistic, because realistic it would be different kind of game.
>>
Played the game and it's pretty nice for a few hours, after that it gets boring
>>
>>45962901
Tell us more on what's it like.
>>
>>45963054
try it yourself, full version here http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/825q39ES/file.html
>>
>>45963246
thanks anon
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.