[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remembering Sir Terry Pratchett
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: lilac.png (2 MB, 779x1000) Image search: [Google]
lilac.png
2 MB, 779x1000
Because a man is not truly dead while his name is still spoken.

It's the 12th where I live, lets have a toast, /tg/.
Any beverage will do.
>>
>>45946936
I thought his habit of explicitly basing parts of Discworld off our reality wasn't as funny as he thought it was.

Nor did I like his pushing of multiculturalism and multiethnic cities and their alleged "advantages".

That out of the way, his comedy could be pretty good; I remember the creation of the platypus in his novel about Fourecks.
>>
>>45946936
Damn, you're making me sad.

Frankly, I've been putting off reading the Tiffany Aching books just to not have it all end. But I know I have to. Everything has to end.
>>
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x5wqvb2rpekwulo/GURPS_Discworld.PDF
http://www.mediafire.com/download/avk15g6ms3gz3z1/GURPS_Discworld_Also.pdf
>>
>>45947498
The Tiffany Aching series, from what I remember, is great.
>>
Around the time of Christmas, the film of The Hogfather was being shown on television.

I never read much of the original book and I never knew it had got a film.

What was the first Discworld book you read?

I think for me it _might_ have been Monstrous Regiment.
>>
>>45949188
I started with The Colour of Magic, and worked my way through.
>>
>>45947436
I actually thought that just that was, what made those stories so great, together with his incredible characters.

Theres just something about gnomes and dwarfes opening up the first modern bank or the golem thinking about theoretical physics.
>>
>>45946936
Thanks OP - Rest well Sir Pratchett.
>>
>>45949188
Eric.
>>
>>45949188

It was Interesting Times with the european cover art.

Not a highlight of his career but I happened to be re-reading it this week.
>>
>>45949188
Fifth Elephant.

I also recommend anyone who hasn't (especially if you're partial to the Wizards) check out The Science of Discworld series. It's really fucking good.
>>
I just poured out a bottle of liquid sunrise in his honor. Rest well, sweet knightly prince.
>>
>>45949188
Men at Arms
>>
>>45949188

Feet of Clay, and moved on to Thud!. My sister lent me those books, and started me off right.
>>
>>45949188
A translated version of Equal Rites. I think I read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic only several years after that, since I'm pretty sure I read Equal Rites at 9 of something.
>>
File: in memoriam.png (237 KB, 989x2197) Image search: [Google]
in memoriam.png
237 KB, 989x2197
>>45949188
>What was the first Discworld book you read?
Thud.
Must have read it six or seven times.
Was always planning to get it signed one day...
>>
File: 1386216795757.jpg (71 KB, 397x359) Image search: [Google]
1386216795757.jpg
71 KB, 397x359
>>45957935
well I'm sad now
>>
>>45949188
To me, it all started with Mort. Oh, the double irony that it ended with it, too.

He was a pretty fly guy, if a bit apologetic to foreigners. I remember him apologising to my Malaysian cousin when I met him for writing a couple of lines about "terrible islander curry with sultanas and things in it" in one of the books with the Moist books.

Dude had a pretty awesome hat, too. He highly recommended his hatmaker, too.
>>
File: strata-2.jpg (118 KB, 510x878) Image search: [Google]
strata-2.jpg
118 KB, 510x878
Although he is best known for the Discworld and Good Omens, I have to recommend everyone to pick up Strata.

>“Finally, a planet is not a world. Planet? A ball of rock. World? A four-dimensional wonder. On a world there must be mysterious mountains. Let there be bottomless lakes peopled with antique monsters. Let there be strange footprints in high snowfields, green ruins in endless jungles, bells beneath the sea; echo valleys and cities of gold. This is the yeast in the planetary crust, without which the imagination of men will not rise.”

It is still in his early phase, so not his best writing, but you can see glimmers of it and I'd say that it is quite interesting regardless. Also, If you've read Niven's Ringworld, you'll enjoy it even more.

>>45949188
Men at Arms, at 12 or 13.

Five years later, I had read everything he had published, with the exception of The Dark Side of the Sun and The Carpet People, that now that I'm 25 and he's dead I'm saving for a rainy day.

>>45957935
>those feels
GNU Terry Pratchett.
>>
>>45947436

His earlier books were a hell of a lot better than the more recent ones in my opinion. The books became more simplistic and preachy some time after Night Watch.
>>
>>45947436
I disagree with the cnflicts between races and the modern approach.
For me it is the best setting for his character interaction and showing how hillarius modern things could be looking on it from a different angle or context.
>>
Part of what I found interesting about Discworld is that Pratchett didn't shy away from advancing his world. Most universes don't change nearly as much as Pratchett's, and that's something very refreshing.

>>45958175
Earlier? As much as I like The Colour of Magic, in quality is nowhere near say, Thud!. The latest ones aren't great either, Dodger and the one about steam felt a bit flat, you could see the Alzheimer's taint.

However, Nation is also one of his latest works and is just amazing.
>>
>>45958222

Haven't read Nation. I did try to read Judgement Day recently and thinking what the hell happened to all the wit and humor ?
>>
>>45958378
Alzheimer's a bitch. But Nation is easily among his best, give it a shot.
>>
HE IS IN A BETTER PLACE

I HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF THE BUT WRITING ON THE DOOR CLEARLY SAID "A BETTER PLACE"
>>
>>45958222
Thud! was masterful.

Unseen Acadmicals felt a little strong on the petty revenge.
I shall Wear Midnight is strange to me because I was never comfortable with Prachett writing teen impulse contrasted with the general methodical thinking everywhere else.
Snuff was when I felt the signs.
Raising Steam just made me feel bad. I felt more for the writer than the characters in the story in that book.
>>
>>45946936
I respect everyones opinions in this thread, but i just want to say that i love all his books, and that the day he died i felt great sadness.
>>
>>45949188
The colour of magic. From there, i started devouring his books, and i must say with his books i staerted my little home library.
>>
>>45949188
Mort.

Guards Guards was when I felt there was Something.

Colour of Magic was when I understand why I liked it.

Going Postal and Witches Abroad was when I fell in love with the concept of "stories", of acting the part to make something larger than yourself happen.
>>
>>45949188
>first book
Soul music, i picked it up during the yearly book sale in march some time 10ish or more years ago, following that i scoured every single library nearby for more of them.

I still have The thief of time left as well as some of the newer ones, i am saving it for the last just to have one final book to read from his prime, when there still were footnotes
>>
https://www.change.org/p/death-bring-back-terry-pratchett
>>
>>45958451
Aye, Unseen Academicals definitely is among the weakest, and then in both Snuff and Raising Steam there was something missing. I think I somehow didn't care enough, in Snuff I just knew that Vikes was going to make it and save the day, and Steam... sometimes entire pages didn't read like him.

I've never been entirely into the young adult series, but Wintersmith I liked quite a lot.
>>
>>45949188
I think it was Hogfather, I wanted to read it before I saw the TV movie

>>45958451
Thud was damn good.

I actually liked Unseen Academicals, I thought it all played out fairly well. Maybe the Romeo and Juliet thing could have been riffed on more, but everything else seemed okay. Though the Evil Empire stuff was a bit weak and tacked on - it's a good fantasy trope he could have worked with really well in his hayday, but without prior development it seems a little jarring. So I can see the book's flaws, but I still liked it.
>>
>>45949188
Maurice and his educated rodents translated to Swedish.
>>
>>45949188
My first exposure to Discworld was the Hogfather movie. My first book was The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents because that was the only one in my high school library until I took a job as library assistant specifically to try and get them to order more.

The next one I read was Nightwatch because that was the first one they got in.
>>
>tfw Ankh Morpork is one of the few non-casual board games that my dad will play
I'm still kinda pissed off that he laughed at me for pronouncing Mr. Teatime's name properly
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqCbOJc6RU
>Let others boast of martial dash
>For we have boldly fought with cash
>>
>>45948317
I've been looking for these for ages... thanks, man.
>>
>>45949188

Guards! Guards! Was my first. I'm glad it was the one I started with, the watch stories tend to be the best.

I actually just started rereading them, start to finish. It is clear that his writing ability was waning in his later years. A shame really.
>>
>>45949188
Same as one of the anons below, I got hooked thanks to Mort.

When Sir Pratchett passed away, I just felt really... numb, when reading the news. It didn't actually hit me for about a week.

Then I read Mort again for the hell of it, reached the very last part (where Mort and Death discuss the nature of goodbyes), and I broke down and cried like a little bitch.
>>
>>45954140
my nigga
>>
>>45946936
Though regretfully, I didn't grow up with Sir Terry, nore really knew his story's well till The Hogfather graced my netflix, I'd be honoured to toast my last.
To Terry!
>>
>>45949188
Guards Guards.

I've gone through the City Watch, Death and Witches books yet for some reason I've been sub-conciously avoiding the Rincewind books.

Maybe I don't want to deal with the different characterizations in the first 2 books, maybe.

I'm also putting off getting Shepherd's Crown, because I don't want to say goodbye yet
>>
Nation was good. I liked Unseen Academicals for the closure/interweaving it added to wizards, guards, moist plotlines, etc.
Strata, Truckers/Diggers/Flyers or whatever that trilogy is called, is pretty solid.

Still need to get my hand on the third Science of Discworld book. they're real good.
>>
File: 1426182354380.jpg (148 KB, 425x600) Image search: [Google]
1426182354380.jpg
148 KB, 425x600
>>45949188
Thief of Time or Night Watch, I'm not sure which.
I haven't read everything yet, mostly because I save them for times when I'm feeling like shit and have no idea what I want to read. His books solve both those problems.
>>
>>45957935

I remember I saw a signed copy of it once at a bookstore. The day of his passing I cried all day, but my commute to work the next day would take me to around that store. When I went inside I saw it still perched high on the shelf, price still the same as it was months ago. I deadpanned my way through asking for it and the transaction, trying not to cry. From the expressions on the cashier's faces, they were either masters at poker or they hadn't heard the news yet.
>>
>>45964664
God, that picture makes me feel all kinds of things...
>>
>>45949188
The Colour of Magic. I'm quite new to Pratchett, frankly. I only learned about him 4 or 5 years ago, thanks to a book indication thread here on /tg/, and ended up growing really attached to his writing style.
>>
>>45948317
Oh, I remember hearing about this... wasn't Pratchett kind of strong-armed into doing this?
>>
>>45962376
I cried for almost an hour. In fact, just reading this thread, remembering the pain, is almost bringing me to tears again.

It doesn't help that the books often touched on death, endings and goodbyes, and how we must know that they eventually come. How even what we love must one day end.

I grieve for a man I've never met. I head an anon in one of the megathreads back when that it meant he succeeded in touching something in my mind that just resonated. I read Harry Potter as a child, but I wouldn't shed a tear if Rowling bit the dust. Pratchett just... clicked.

And now I'm crying again. I think I'm going to bed.
>>
>>45968728
It's okay anon. Not only are we all here for you, but his books will be too. Always.
>>
Shepherd's Crown was some of the best closure I've seen in a series. It's a rough book in spots, but all the more valuable for that, I say.
>>
>>45946936
I can't remember the first book of Sir terry's I read. I think it was either the Fifth Elephant or the Colour of magic. It might have been Good Omens. I only started reading his books a few years ago. But I barely remember when I first came into contact with his work. It was a cartoon. It had the Witches and Susan in it. I remember the Witches critiquing the actors in a play wondering why all the female parts were played by men. And Susan standing near Deaths cottage with Binky. I only ever saw that little bit of it. I had no idea it was Discworld until I got to that scene in the book. Fuck he was a genius.
>>
>>45959053
The Amazing Maurice was one of the first Discworld books I read. I haven't read it for years.

>>45958540
I thought Soul Music was weak, though I might not have read it the whole way though.

>>45958522
Going Postal was one of the early ones I read. I've never read the banking sequel.

>>45964664
I've never read either.

>>45958146
I enjoyed The Carpet People. I've never tried Strata.
>>
>>45949188
Guards! Guards!

I remember when he died. I cried, reread all the books with Death in, and cried like a bitch.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.