[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Confessions Thread? Confessions thread. >want to run post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: divine-1.jpg (102 KB, 640x464) Image search: [Google]
divine-1.jpg
102 KB, 640x464
Confessions Thread? Confessions thread.

>want to run post apocalypse game
>want to start the players off being held captive by bandit dudes
>can't think of a way for them to escape and get their stuff
>fuck it, the bandits just forgot to take their equipment after they kidnap them.

What are your sins /tg/?
>>
>>45886688
>first time gm
>dont want to dissapoint anyone
>7 players
>whathaveidone.png
>>
>>45886688
Hundreds of films showcase prison escapes.

>>45887172
>7 fucking players
You're already a disappointment. Drop at least two of them. It's for their own good.
>>
> Railroading
> I don't let players take the easy way to advance the story
>>
I really don't like the game I'm running. My friends have always struggled to keep a game for more than two sessions, our record was 3 before shit just fell apart. I used to try hard but now I just gave in, I give my players exactly what they want all the time even though it's stupid weeb shit and they gobble it up. I've successfully been running the most boring ass anime campaign for like 10 weeks and there's no end in sight. I let my player be a masked sexy lady assassin bounty hunter who's also a dragon blooded magical girl and who's concept art was from a magic card.
>>
>>45886688
I haven't written a stat block for a monster in months. I just let the players hit it until I decide it dies, and have it hit the players when I think they should take damage. To keep each encounter different I'll make up a different mechanic, like one monster has a multitarget attack or can only take damage from behind or something.
>>
>>45887703
That's how you're supposed to GM. You just keep track of how many hit points it's supposed to have lost and just think of when it's a good time for it to die.

Remember to write down the number in case you use the monster again or else the fucking autist will call you on it.
>>
>>45887451
It never lasted beyond one session.
>>
>>45887661
You need to see a social worker because I think you were just raped.
>>
>>45887729
I haven't been called yet, and if I do I'll just say they all have different amounts of health or something. My players aren't autists, I don't think they'll ever catch on.
Oh yeah, I haven't decided the difficulty for any skill rolls in months either. I just wait to see what they roll and decide if that's good enough.
>>
File: X84nn[1].gif (197 KB, 210x131) Image search: [Google]
X84nn[1].gif
197 KB, 210x131
>>45887795

I hate DnD so much buts it's all they play, I don't even like d20! all I want to run in my cowboy bebop homebrew d6 system. or at least like torchbearer...
>>
I playtest/proofread a certain published RPG's modules a good 3-4 months before they are released to the public.

I play them with my first group, and then reuse the stories for the most part with my group I GM for, and no one is any the wiser.

I've been playing with my group, who have expressed approval with the oh-so original plots for a good half a year now.
>>
>>45888097
I would do it too if I had the chance
>>
>>45887703
I do the same shit.
>>
>>45888152
>>45887703

Fuck, I just realized I can do this. I've spent so long writing statblocks when half the time they die after an arbitrary amount of time.

Don't suppose you know any other time-saving but a little bit scummy tricks?
>>
>>45888202
An adage that I come back to often is "The trick to DMing is letting the characters win without them realizing that you could kill them all at any time." You're the DM. You can't break the rules because you're the one making them. As long as you don't let the players on to the fact that you're deciding everything arbitrarily, nobody's getting wronged.
That said, how I write adventures is always know what's going to happen, but not how it's going to happen. For some adventures this is easy. A peasant says some goblins stole his shit, they're holed up in an old tower, go take my shit back. Now you could spend hours drawing maps of the tower and each of its floors and the surrounding terrain, you could decide how many goblins there are and each of their statblocks, you could decide the goblin's patrol path and what order they take watch in, etc. Or you could just describe the outside of the tower, listen to the player's planning, and improvise from there. If the party has a good climber, he's probably going to wand to climb, so you can put a few goblins on the roof to ambush him. If they have a lock picker, the doors are locked, and you just wait to see what he rolls and decide if it's good enough. If they have a big heavy hitter fighter who's been wrecking the goblins, you can say there's an ogre leading them and say that he hits harder and is tougher. This is a simple example, anything more complicated is going to demand more forethought, but basically if it has anything to do with numbers or dice rolls or mechanics, you can make it up as you go along.
>>
>>45887451
>Implying any DM worth his salt can't handle 8 players at once.
>>
>>45889128
It's a lot less fun having more than 4-5 players. Sure you can handle too many players but there will be so much less screen time for each person resulting in a much slower, less fun game. Roleplaying is not a good avenue for hanging out with ten people at once. At that point I'd recommend basketball instead.
>>
>>45889439
>You make a good point and have the best intentions for your players.
>I dig that.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.