[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One Ring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
Has anyone ever played this before? I absolutely love how a post-Peter Jackson LOTR rpg isn't solely dominated by the vision of the movies.

I'm really interested in overland travel, as the journey is far more important than the destination. As far as I have ascertained, travel hexes have two values, movement hindrance & hazard DC.

Each players are assigned a role (such as Scout, Guide, Hunter, Look-out, etc) whether as a class skill or willfully volunteering for the role, the players then all roll a d12, a one (or Sauron) means that the players encounter a hazard, what hazard the party deals with depends on who rolls it.

So if a Look-out rolled it, a hazard could be that the party is beset by hungry man, or if a hunter rolled it, it could be a quarry that is in pursuit of two parties, once killed it could cause tensions between both bands. Is the difficulty of these challenges is predicated upon the territory challenge?

I like this because so many "hexploration" mechanics are so mired in simple binary logic of YES and NO, obviously hazards should be avoided, but it's a cool example of the abstract lending itself to roleplaying.
>>
I've never had the chance to play it (though I own most of the books), but The One Ring seems like the kind of thing I would bring to a game-design class - or something like that, at least - about how to make your game truly embrace the thing its trying to emulate or explore; In this case, middle earth - a setting where your ability to riddle is many-times more important that your ability to swing a sword harder than the other guy.

It also has some fantastic artwork.
>>
>>45877815
Pls share books anon!
>>
>>45878145
They're all over the web by now, use fucking google.
>>
Currently GMing with of group of IRL friends.

As far as travel goes, I've found it difficult to make hazards more interesting. The book doesn't give you much examples, and the ones you find online is "you lost trail lol, add days". There are variants like spoiled food and ambushes but if I don't put some thought into them before they end up being quite boring and a little frustrating. Most of the time I prepare hazards to turn into plot hooks, and keep a list of them so I don't waste time thinking about something not boring.

Other than that, solid game. My group is all tabletop newbies and I have come to NOT recommend it for beginners. Endurance/Encumbrance/Fatigue alone will make you weep the first couple of times you try to put it into practice.
>>
>>45877815
>>45878145
I'm on it.

>>45878247
> As far as travel goes, I've found it difficult to make hazards more interesting. The book doesn't give you much examples, and the ones you find online is "you lost trail lol, add days". There are variants like spoiled food and ambushes but if I don't put some thought into them before they end up being quite boring and a little frustrating. Most of the time I prepare hazards to turn into plot hooks, and keep a list of them so I don't waste time thinking about something not boring.

Once again, I've never actually played tor, but that seems the way to go - let the travel sections develop into little stories of there own.
>>
>>45878145
>>45878345
https://www.mediafire.com/#gvokcl1c28vvc

I live to serve.
>>
>>45878366
You're missing the bit on the end bro, copy the "Share This Folder" link
>>
>>45878366
>>45878379
Shit, sorry - only the 2nd time I've ever done this

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/gvokcl1c28vvc/The_One_Ring

There we go.
>>
File: 1318892802244.jpg (4 MB, 4306x3042) Image search: [Google]
1318892802244.jpg
4 MB, 4306x3042
>>45878389
Much appreciated
>>
>>45878420
i've never seen that map before, where did they get the east from
>>
>>45878420
oh this makes me angry
>>
>>45879175
>an artist's interpretation
>>
>>45879140
Their ass. Seriously. Any RPG published for Middle-earth is full of fanfic material.
>>
>>45876444
I've played in two games of this, and I've run one game.

The journeys and hazards are a really key element of the game; they probably affect the game far more than "dungeons", however you may define those. Travelling is going to take a long time (in game), and can really wear a PC down. Your PC may arrive at their destination worn down, weary, miserable, or even injured, all because of hazards.

>>45878247
I like to keep a list of hazards as well, for each role, just so I can give the players interesting hazards on the fly.

I think it can actually work pretty well for beginners. The rules suggest a lot more transparency and collaboration than other systems, and Endurance/Encumbrance/Fatigue is probably as complicated as the game gets.
>>
>>45880229
>>45878420

That map is not from The One Ring. I have all the books, and I can confirm that this is unrelated. Don't shit on this game due to your assumptions, it is very faithful to the lore and atmosphere of Middle-Earth (and not Jackson's version of it).
>>
>>45880275
End/Enc/Fat is as complicated as it gets, sure, but having to explain it to 5 novices at the same time was one of my personal levels of hell.

Stat-economy and not clearly indexed books made the first sessions a pain for me. Everybody else enjoyed it so no problems in the end. Highly recommend it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.