[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you like to present your dungeon maps? Do you prepare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: saeji-il ruins.png (2 MB, 2560x2560) Image search: [Google]
saeji-il ruins.png
2 MB, 2560x2560
How do you like to present your dungeon maps? Do you prepare a big map in advance and reveal it? Do you sketch it as the party explores?

For online players, how fancy do you make your maps?
>>
>>45869024
We usually used only verbal descriptions in dungeon crawls, and the characters had to draw their own maps.

Towns and villages were different, we had maps for these (or the number and location of the buildings weren't really important).
>>
File: redbrand draft 4.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
redbrand draft 4.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
In person I like to make 1 inch/5 feet maps out of chipboard and construction paper.
>>
File: 1427315634191.jpg (4 MB, 2550x2850) Image search: [Google]
1427315634191.jpg
4 MB, 2550x2850
Reveal as per line of sight, describing as it goes. Maps are as detailed as to keep the players from thinking it's just cookie cutter/drag and drop shite
>>
>>45869024
>Do you sketch it as the party explores?
i find this to be the most anger inducing practice.

if you didn't prepare anything, then just describe it correctly. Don't waste our time drawing squares.
>>
>>45869024
Gridmat made of lego, for more repetitive areas, lego renditions including scenery
>>
File: Desert 2.png (95 KB, 3500x3500) Image search: [Google]
Desert 2.png
95 KB, 3500x3500
MS Paint is my greatest ally.
>>
I use to draw meticulous maps on grid paper, and then reveal them on a Chessex vinyl mat bit by bit as the party explored using a marker.

Now that I play 5e, I just sketch maps on a piece of paper and describe the layout to my players, keeping the design simple enough that they only need to remember a few key junctions, or sprawling enough that a general direction is more important than a specific path.
>>
I just draw maps when an encounter is going to happen, necessitating a tactical grid. It's rarely important to get into bigger stuff like the actual way rooms connect to each other - description gets the rough feel, and players can just say "I go to the armory" and you get there and it's assumed the character figured out the way even though the GM and player don't know shit.

Also in Rogues to Riches players get to fuck with combat maps, so I use one of those dry-erase grid mats.
>>
File: 5e maptool screenshot.png (443 KB, 993x650) Image search: [Google]
5e maptool screenshot.png
443 KB, 993x650
>>45869024
Maptool supports vision blocking, light sources, and fog of war, so I've been using those recently.

I don't make them that fancy, but I try my best.
>>
>>45876133
Aren't those super buggy
>>
File: 312weopPBEL.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
312weopPBEL.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
One of these.

I made them on the spot, but I fake it by looking often at my secret notes kek
>>
I make a rough map for myself so I remember how everything goes, and then describe it to my players so they can make their own map.

Also, I spend way too much fucking time and effort on something that's not going to be seen by anyone but me.
>>
>>45878004
It's a massive crapshoot to see if the program will work for everyone and start up okay, but features seldom break on their own.
>>
>>45874960
>MS Paint
my nigga
>>
>>45869024
>For online players, how fancy do you make your maps?
I make them in Photoshop, and then people share them on /tg/ sometimes >>45871517
>>
I use a graphing whiteboard and whiteboard marker.

I sketch my maps on graphing paper before the session though. I reveal as per line of sight.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.