[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>play only cheap aggrodecks >borrow a $1500 legacy deck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
File: emracool.jpg (124 KB, 396x554) Image search: [Google]
emracool.jpg
124 KB, 396x554
>play only cheap aggrodecks
>borrow a $1500 legacy deck from richfag friend
>suddenly realize that I only enjoy playing expensive magic decks

Why is this game so pay to win? Limited isn't even that fun to play either. I mean the actual draft is fun, but playing shitty 4/5s for 6 with some underpowered ETB effect is dumb

Is there any reason to play magic if you don't have the skrill?
>>
>>45868601
Pay to play*

Because a shit player with an expensive deck will still lose a sufficiently sized tournament

Also, legacy is the sweetest way to play magic because you have the biggest pool of interesting cards available
>>
>>45868601
>I don't enjoy the game
>Therefore the game is bad

git gud and draft more.
>>
>>45868601
>suddenly realize that I only enjoy playing expensive magic decks

Now you understand why RDW is always cheap, even if it's good.

Some decks are just more fun.
>>
The deck I played kinda looked like this

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/legacy-bg-midrange/

>$3000+
>>
>>45868601

>try out a deck that actually does stuff in the first couple of turns
>be exposed to REAL mtg
>wonder why everything else feels like shit

Also, $1500 is not an expensive legacy deck. That's mid-level cost.
>>
>>45868745
Yeah it was actually about 3 grand

I was literally sweating just holding it in public.

Last time I played was durning caw-blade, and I would still rek people with some shitty kuldotha rebirth deck that was only $40.

Those richfags were literally crying when I would rape them with some shitty red deck.
>>
>>45868601
draft more, get better. There are tons of draft sims and content to help you get better. Limited is basically the only way I play now, outside of casual EDH games with some friends.
>>
>>45868601
Name one game, no, name one thing in life where spending more money doesn't give you an advantage over someone who spends less money.

And don't even try saying Chess or Go. If you spend money on a Chess set so you can practice Chess you will be better at Chess than someone who didn't buy one.
>>
>>45869540
rock-paper-scissors
>>
>>45869960
fuck
>>
File: tumblr_lp38x8klvV1qgr8tu.jpg (15 KB, 400x313) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lp38x8klvV1qgr8tu.jpg
15 KB, 400x313
>>45869960
>implying
>>
>>45869540
Blackjack, Roulette, Craps, basically gambling in general.
>>
>>45870147
Fuck beat me to it
>>
>>45868601
>Why is this game so pay to win?
It isn't, you're just playing the worst format. Legacy should just fucking die already.
>>
>>45868601
There are multiple formats for a reason. You're playing the wrong format for you. Play a different one.
>>
>>45868601
>he hates pay to win
>he simply hasn't gotten a good deck that he traded a fuckton of pieces off of over the years
OP is a casual learning the fun of a real format.
>>
>>45870147
dont know the context here
>>
>>45868745

I remember the first time I really played Legacy. I borrowed a friend's Fish for a tournament, and I had a fucking blast. I lost one round to infect, and I didn't even care. The best part? The people were cool as fuck. Modern players are just shitty fucking people (in general). Not just the ones in my store. I have been to a few GPs, and they're all just holier-than-thou Shitters. Meanwhile, everyone I've talked to in the legacy side events were just chill as fuck.
>>
>>45870216
>Legacy should just fucking die already.

You mad poorfag?
>>
>>45870338
It's Kaiji, a manga/anime about gambling. The first story involves a life-or-death gamble based on Rock Paper Scissors. I believe richer players were at an advantage in that gamble, but it was all very convoluted.
>>
>>45870619
Don't you have a swimming pool full of treasure you could be diving into instead of shitposting on /tg/?
>>
>>45870147
kek
>>
>>45870152
If both of you play till one busts starting with more money gives an obvious advantage
>>
>>45870748
A couple thousand dollars is not that much money for a hobby, if you're in such a sad place that you cant do even a little saving I pity you.
>>
>>45868601
Git gud
>>
>>45870874
>a little saving
>A couple thousand dollars
You must not have been paying attention in Econ 201. If everyone else was as rich as you, money would be worthless. Some of us were born to the middle class parents whose businesses you bought, sold off, and pocketed the assets of, you fucking kike. What do you even do for a living aside from tons of cocaine and your secretary?
>>
>>45871640
>i can't buy shit piecemeal because that actually requires thought instead of immediate gratification~the post.
>>
>>45871695
>I'm literally drowning in the jizz of ten thousand nigger dicks - the post
>>
>>45871778
>being this mad because i'm right
anon plz.
in the meanwhile while you try to ease into legacy via piecemeal on throwing spare money by getting one staple at a time, try some EDH or modern, its a good taste of better stuff to come really.
>>
File: IMAG0109.jpg (3 MB, 5376x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0109.jpg
3 MB, 5376x3024
>>45871640
He's right though, dude, just fucking take your time with it. I've been building my first legacy deck off almost nothing but trades, the excitement is killing me, but spent less than $100 so far and I have 41/75 cards.
>>
>>45871851
>in the meanwhile while you try to ease into legacy
The fuck gives you the impression I'm trying to play legacy? Have I not expressed a vehement disinterest in your pay-to-win format? Maybe if my daddy had been born rich like yours I'd play it. As it stands, I play the only good format: scarred puma :^)
>>
its perfectly possible to trade into legacy. I made a good call on desecration demons, and bought something like a hundred when they were a dollar rare. Now, I'm playing death and taxes, and waiting for wizards to reprint my entire deck, and tank the value.
>>
>>45870476
Yeah, at my shop we joke about how legacy is the most expensive casual format. At least most vintage events are proxy.
>>
>>45868653
Pay to play means you have even footing if you pay X dollars (usually a set amount).

Pay to win means that you can't compete unless you play at least X dollars (sometimes even more depending on certain factors).

Q: Can you play an extremely cheap magic deck that is uncompetitive because of your unwillingness to buy cards when you have already spent money on the game?
A: Yes

Therefor magic is pay to win.
>>
>>45871985
It's not pay to win dipshit it's pay to play

You would get your shit stomped if you borrowed a legacy deck because you're trash
>>
>>45872978
Wrong

Player A spends $2k on miracles
player B spends $2k on miracles

Player A wins 98 out of 100 games because he is joe Lossett and player B is you.

Pay to play, fuckwad.
>>
> $1500 legacy deck
>expensive
>wouldnt even cover the landbase
Back to fucking standard with you
>>
>>45868601

Because people are really slow at catching on to the fact that if both players print out their cards you can play whatever deck you like at the cost of a little ink.
>>
File: 1431209543311.jpg (69 KB, 498x482) Image search: [Google]
1431209543311.jpg
69 KB, 498x482
>>45876101
>Player A spends $2k on miracles
>Player B spends $10 on booster packs
>Player A wins 100 of 100 games
>>
>>45876197
And jerking off is the same as sex but cheaper
>>
>>45876211

It's little sheets of cardboard, anon.

In this analogy, Magic the Gathering is $4000 for a disinterested handjob from a Russian dwarf.
>>
>own expensive legacy cards
>most are restricted

I'm not going to use my Time Walks, Ancestral Recalls, etc.,etc., for kitchen table games. That's crazy. I will use all my dual lands though.
>>
The real problem isn't how much better the eternal formats are, it's how shit standard and modern are.
>>
>>45876207
Not really. Have you ever seen miracles play against a deck that's just trying to make 4-6 drops?
>>
>>45876207
>Person A spends $2k on a ski
>Person B ties planks to their feet intead
>if they race, Person A will win 100 of 100 time
>>
>>45876101
>tfw cant afford a miracles deck in the forseeable future
>>
>>45871860
If I may ask, what are you building? I have a lot of those pieces in a casual shitter eldrazi deck myself.
>>
>>45876539
12-post. Definitely not top tier, but I think it'll be fun.
>>
>>45871860
hahaha my sides
>trades
>Candelabra

your deck could as well be 0/75

also
>building decks that revolve around a single reserved list card that costs $$$
alsoalso
>fuck the rl
>>
>>45876780
alsoalsoalso
>not top tier

it shits on the current t0 deck aka Miracles
that alone makes it top tier in my book
>>
>>45877181
Unless I don't have single reserve list cards that cost $$$, and I don't plan on getting them.
>>
>>45876242
Anon, those are Vintage cards, not Legacy.

>>45872198
Uhh... isn't Desecration Demon like a 2 dollar rare now? Whoppy-doo.
>>
>>45868601
>Why is this game so pay to win? Limited isn't even that fun to play either. I mean the actual draft is fun, but playing shitty 4/5s for 6 with some underpowered ETB effect is dumb
Only because MaRo is a faggot who knows his best days are over and is trying to delay the inevitable by rethreading +1/+1 mechanics every year and saving his few good ideas for when people start noticing.

Power Cube drafting is the most awesome magic experience.
>>
>>45877225
Did you not play during mono black devotion?
>>
>>45876287
>person A spends $2k on a ski
>person B spends $10k to get the latest ski/jetpack technology that didn't even exist a year ago
>>
>>45868601
Limited is the best form of magic.
>>
>>45871985
legacy is the least pay to win format there is in magic. play sligh.
>>
>>45877225
Standard only cards always drop to worthless when they rotate out.
>>
>>45877277
thats why the yankees and dodgers win the WS every yeah
>>
There's a reason why sports like golf try to standardize equipment...
>>
I'm thinking of building esper deathblade as my first legacy deck. Mostly because I want to play with bob's and I like the control elements
>>
I am trying to build Dredge to save legacy from all this degeneracy! I have the LEDs already!
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.