[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chaos Gate and /tg/ approved games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9
File: chaos gate.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
chaos gate.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
Hello guys. I have a problem. Got myself Chaos Gate recently, but the game always crashes when the cultists shoot at my dudes. I've read up on all possible fixes on the problem, but nothing seems to work. Is there any way I can do, to make it work? I run it on win7 in compatibility mode.

Also, /tg/ approved vidya general?
>>
>>45756838
I have no idea sorry but this looks interesting.
>>
>>45756838
>Is there any way I can do, to make it work?
Download the gog version of Chaos Gate and cry that you original disc is worth shit at this point.
:(
>>
File: lYJk7fy.jpg (138 KB, 960x899) Image search: [Google]
lYJk7fy.jpg
138 KB, 960x899
>>45756838
Set yourself up a virtual machine for those lostech games. It takes an hour and saves you all sorts of bullshit.
>>
>>45757249
Tried this, this is not an issue of compatibility.
Problem is, my dudes shoot just fine. Enemies shoot just fine EXCEPT, when said enemies are cultists. When a cultist shoots, the game crashes. Some fixes told me to edit game files to change sounds and animations of laspistol. Didn't work though. I'll try to remove animations and sounds from laspistol chart, so it either sounds/looks like something else, or has no effects at all.
Another solution, one that works is to increase ap cost of laspistol shots, but this makes the game piss easy.
>>
>>45757304
Are you using the original one or the gog one?
>>
>>45757304
What is your problem, gog version works completly fine, why dont you try it?
>>
>>45757249

not op, but that's something I never bothered figuring out. I also never really liked chaos gate.
>>
>>45757369
Original I guess. I have no way to get gog one, since no paypal here.
>>
File: k1EevlV.jpg (173 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
k1EevlV.jpg
173 KB, 960x768
>>45757489
Changing the sounds, animations, and sfx to something that you know works should do it, then.
>>
>>45756838
I've played through the original (not GOG) version several times, and it never crashed on me. If it helps, I had Windows 2000 for my OS. Chaos Gate is a fun game, anon. I hope you get it working.
>>
Pic related and associated games, I think might prove worthwhile. If you can get past how they have gotten a little crusty.
>>
File: wh40karmageddon_02.jpg (479 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
wh40karmageddon_02.jpg
479 KB, 1600x900
If you like turn based games, Armageddon is neat and works in modern computers. It's basicly 40k Panzer General.
>>
File: 1434342942394.jpg (3 MB, 2900x2366) Image search: [Google]
1434342942394.jpg
3 MB, 2900x2366
>>45759316
I'd like that a lot, but I can't handle paying $30.00 for a panzer general clone.
>>
>>45759344
I think that Final Liberation also works in modern computers, and it has a GOG version. It's an adaptation of the old Epic rules (I don't know which of them, but you get the idea). It has a planetary-wide Risk-like campaign between the Imperium and the Orks, and has some cool live-action cutscenes, thou I think that these do not work in modern computers.
>>
>>45759073
Pool of radiance, start there, enjoy 100+ hour, virtual campaign.
>>
File: EFS.png (614 KB, 557x640) Image search: [Google]
EFS.png
614 KB, 557x640
Another great old game is Emperor of the Fading Suns. EotFS is a turn based hex strategy game which mixes Master of Orion 2 with Panzer General and Crusader Kings 2, and puts it in a Dune-like setting, with royal houses, a powerful chuch (which can send inquisitors to burn your research facilities if you develop things like chemical weapons, by the way) and powerful but isolate aliens. It's avandonware, so you can get it for free pretty easily.
>>
>>45759471
Should I play this or chaos gate?
>>
>>45759593
chaos gate is XCOM 40k edition
final liberation is grand strategy

Personally I found chaos gate was more enjoyable
>>
>>45759593
Choose your next game with exceptional care.
That said, Final Liberation. It's still one of a kind due to scale and variety. Also, 2e Orks.
>>
>>45759585
It also isn't quite complete without mods that restore full functionality to AI. That said, it's a pretty great MP title if you play around its quirks.
>>
>>45759607
>>45759625
Think I'll try chaos gate, considering how much I like X-COM, and my only passing familiarity with Warhammer40k
>>
>>45759676
You'll miss out on glorious live action ham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi3CzZjV0M
>>
>>45759716
He can just watch those online. And Chaos Gate has plenty of ham of its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DlxqWk0dHs
>>
>>45759728
True, but it's not the same without context and CGI, even this bad, isn't quite the same. What I'm saying is just get and play both.
>>
File: COMMISSAR! Holt.gif (1 MB, 245x155) Image search: [Google]
COMMISSAR! Holt.gif
1 MB, 245x155
>>45759676
If you like X-Com, then you are gonna love the game. But check the Final Liberation sooner or later. It has the best memes, like >>45759625 and it's great in its own way. And the cutscenes are awesome in a cheese old Doctor Who kind of way, like in pic related.
>>
>>45759793
Also, giant robots vs infantry on the same map.
>>
>>45759778
>What I'm saying is just get and play both.
Well, yeah, he should. Final Liberation does have the better intro, too.
>>
Anyone played Templar Battleforce? It's literally not!40k with Space Hulk elements but I actually really like it.
>>
>>45759923
I haven't but it looks cool.
>>
>>45760079

It's super satisfying to unlock the flamethrower troops (called HYDRAS) and start chucking napalm bombs everywhere.
>>
>>45756838
So, in the order.

+ Install all the patches.
+ Run in compatibility mode.
+ Run the installer in compatibility mode.
+ Rename the cultist laserpistol soundbite or mod the game to disable the laspistols to fire.
+Buy the GoG version. Easier.

Chaos Gate is a rather temperamental game, and in three different PCs I've installed it on I had to match and mix different solutions found in the Net. Check the forums threads you find on Google, some of that shit works.

>>45759923

It's a nice game. Cheesy as hell, but it's pretty much a love letter to Space Hulk in all regards. You see, done by people that LOVE the idea of sci-fi power armoured goons killing alien and want to make a good game about it, not soulless Britons bent on selling overpriced crap....
>>
>>45759471
There is a way to get the cutscenes working, at least on a Vista machine.
>>
>>45760137

I liked the idea of them being mutated by their bio-planet so they have genetic memory ingrained in them, hence why they're so fucking good at piloting these suits.
>>
Not OP, but I don't seem to be able to launch vanilla Dawn of War or Winter Assault. The little launching box for Steam appears for a few seconds, then goes away and the game never launches. I'm running windows 10 of that helps. Dark Crusade and Soulstorm both work fine.
>>
>>45756838
I also had problems with running chaos gate, I made it to launch on windows 7 compatibility mode and the game was almost playable if not for problems with graphics going wonky all the time. Interestingly, it is possible to run Final Liberation from win 7 without any additional effort other than clicking the exe file.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.