[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck you mtg
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 6
File: 20160224_150308[1].jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160224_150308[1].jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
started early 2015
been sharked too many times, shitty prize support
lost 2 ugins, playset of tasigur and the eldrazi that gives you opponents lands, bunch of other shit. probably at least 1 fetch land.

store has id matching AND redrafting rares as support with no prize packs. Prices are above average because there is no other magic shops around either.

store starts taking purchased packs that are to be rare redrafted and tells us because they are property of the store, we can't get our shit back after i've lost 30$ rare last week.

oath pre-release rolls around
pull this and that stupid charge counter blue rare 5 color thing

standard = 300-800$ to get into
modern = 400-2500$ to get into
legacy = over 9000$ to get just the dual lands.
Good commander deck = 500-1500$

yeah, fuck that!!
I have bills to pay, truck, woman to look after.

can no longer justify paying the prices set by starjewgames and other shady as fuck "investors" and "vendors"
some sauce on starjewgames and other vendors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga3nlvAdZ8g&ab_channel=MTGLION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeu1nYlCpTE&ab_channel=MTGHeadQuarters

Basically told shop owner in polite words "fuck you and your store and fuck this game, ain't coming back"

This game is a fucking joke man.
>>
You're pathetic.
>>
>>45620048
Call the DCI on them. They can't force you to redraft and they HAVE to offer prize packs
>>
>>45620048
>store starts taking purchased packs that are to be rare redrafted and tells us because they are property of the store, we can't get our shit back after i've lost 30$ rare last week.
Those packs stopped being store property after you fucking bought them. If they continue to do so its now theft and can be charged or sued.
>>
>>45620094
I'm pathetic?
You guys are the fucking virgin losers paying hundreds, If not thousands of dollars for CARDBOARD with pictures and text on them.

I was just lucky to see it for what it was early on.

going to offload alot of the small collection i got very soon.
>>
>>45620048
Wait is the store taking packs you paid for and forcing you to redraft them? If do you can probably get the cops involved
>>
>>45620154
No. You're the pathetic one for letting a store BLATANTLY ROB YOU OF YOUR MONEY AND POSESSIONS and not doing anything about it other than get angry at people with more spine than you online
>>
>>45620162
last i checked, that is currently what happens yes.
Could be different, I know they are offering packs for drafts. but I still haven't attended in well over 2 months excluding pre-release.

But i'm not the type to call the po po on anybody anyways, I just drop THOSE type of people like rocks from my life anyway.
>>
>>45620205
You can and should go back and do it. Get a rare and when they Ty to get their filthy Jewish hands on it you can call the cops.
>>
>>45620136
I get that it's the only store, but wtf why would you even let them get away with that?
>>
>>45620205
Even if you don't play anymore you should still try to stand up for everyone else who's getting fucked in the ass like you are
>>
>>45620237
I don't know. Maybe because people who play MTG are complete pushovers?
>>
>>45620229
Make sure to get a recept and records of what you get in the pack
>>
>>45620229
Quite honestly, if I was to go again, and i pulled an expidition from MY pack, and they told me that i could not leave with it, i would rip it up right in front of them, zero thought.
>>
>>45620254
You're the pushover here man
>>
>>45620270
That whole store is a bunch of pushovers.
Say, why don't ANY of you call the cops?
Just call the cops, stupid asshole, and stop acting like you're a goddamn 13 year old.
>>
>>45620309
Or go to the DCI and watch as the store either shapes up or dies cause they can't get product from wizards
>>
>>45620309
just by chance what is the law that states that what you purchase is legally yours anyways?

I would love to see that.
>>
>>45620342
The law of common sense?
>>
>>45620101
>they HAVE to offer prize packs
Do they actually have to? Instead of prizes, the store I used to go to would let players buy the 3 packs of their choice for $10 instead of the $15 that it would have cost them had they bought the packs normally.
>>
>>45620195
>playing mtg
>having a spine
pick one
>>
>>45620048
>watching to an MTGLION video
You should consider suicide anon.
>>
So I've never done a draft before, so am i getting it right?
each player has three packs to open and choose one card and pass the pack along. At the end of the tournament the prize is everyones rares in a pool, where players pick for keeps in order of 1st to last place?
So the tournament would be entry cost + 3 packs. with a guaranteed at least 3 rares

and what this pushover is saying, is that he went to a tournament with no prizes an entry fee and the need to buy 3 packs? which the store then collected all the cards opened by everyone in the store.
>>
>>45620371
They have to offer prize support, it's part of the rules of a tournament
Most stores let you do store credit though
>>
>>45620376
Stay mad bitch nigga
>>
>>45620412
>each player has three packs to open and choose one card and pass the pack along.

Correct

>At the end of the tournament the prize is everyones rares in a pool, where players pick for keeps in order of 1st to last place?
>So the tournament would be entry cost + 3 packs. with a guaranteed at least 3 rares

Very wrong. You get to keep all of the cards you draft. Once you draft them, they are your cards.
>>
>>45620409
I'll agree he is a bit cancer, but he does often bring up some pretty good concerns about the economy of the game.

Do i agree with the fact that he litterally hoards fatpacks and other products and singles?? no.
>>
>>45620412
You got it right until the "at the end of the tournament " part
Once a pack is in your hands it's yours
Once you draft a card, it's yours
You can leave at literally any time with the cards you have and if the store says you need to give the cards back they're wrong cause you fucking paid for that shit and it's legally yours as a result
>>
>>45620449
You can even leave after you open a pack if you want. Store can't do shit once the cards are in your hands since you paid for them
>>
Buy Chinaman cards.
>>
>>45620048

So start up your own store.
>>
>>45620449
Op here again, it's not even rare redrafting for just drafts, its for normal FNM, like standard or modern.
on the rare ocassion that we do draft, there is SOME prize support

Last prizing posted was like this.
8 players 1st 8 pack 2nd 4 etc
16 players 1st 16 2nd 8 etc
24 players 1st 20 2nd 10, etc
>>
>>45620412
>At the end of the tournament the prize is everyones rares in a pool, where players pick for keeps in order of 1st to last place?
If you're ever at a store that does this, you need to leave and never play limited there again. Rare redrafting exists solely to screw less experienced players out of cards they might have opened.
>>
>>45620342
http://smallbiztrends.com/2013/03/resale-rights-you-bought-own.html

Supreme Court Ruled so in 2013.
>>
>>45620342
It's part of contract law.
I don't know your country, but that;'s where to look.
>>
>>45620048
So your local gaming store is not worth supporting. Buy your stuff at target and walmart then and just show up to play without buying something.
>>
>>45620460
>>45620449
So whats stopping people from rare and uncommon drafting, aside from the obvious the players next to you taking the rare/more valuable card. Don't some packs have two rares where one could be foil?
>>
>>45620515
>Op here again, it's not even rare redrafting for just drafts, its for normal FNM, like standard or modern

What do you mean? They force you ante cards from your own possession in modern/standard?
>>
>>45620515
Ok. Get into contact with the DCI about that. They'll force the store to change
>>
>>45620449
How have you mouthbreathing rednecks not heard of rare redrafting?

If players agree to this (which they may be implicitly doing if the store says they're running redrafts), it's a completely viable way to draft
>>
>>45620542

There is nothing to stop people from doing that, but why would you need them to stop doing that?
>>
I'm even more confused than before
This is so weird
>>
>>45620542
Nothing. They'll just likely lose the tournament if they do
>>
>>45620577

Presumably because we play at GOOD stores that don't hate their customers?
>>
>>45620550
you buy the packs for modern and standard events then they are basically ante'd, they get opened, rare goes to top, tards drool over mythics.

from what i have read from wizards, as long as there is 8 players (sanctioned event) they are required to give out promos and then whatever the store feels like for prizes.
Fairly certain the rules were not explained in depth by wotc.
>>
>>45620577
It's not part of and I think against the official tournament rules. Any store that does red rafts can lose the ability to so tournaments in short order if someone disagrees or is spiteful
>>
>>45620618

I'm so confused.

So, to play in their constructed events, you have to buy packs from them, and make decks from the packs you open, but all of your rares are anted?

What the fuck.
>>
>>45620048
Sounds like you live in shitty Alabama or something. I'd recommend that you go find actual civilization, but then you'd be contaminating innocent cities with your backwards hillbilly culture.
>>
>>45620661
Yeah I'm gonna need some clarification

Do you mean that, based on attendance, a number of packs get opened and then top players get to daft rares as prizes at the end of the tournament based on standing?
>>
>>45620661
nononono
This is for modern and standard constructed events.

you do the following:

ONE: bring your constructed deck that you built at home or whatever, that doesn't matter.
TWO: buy a pack, all packs are opened, rares on top for display
THREE: play, match ID (w/l records are kept, and factor into who you face)
FOUR: 1st place takes most money, 2nd place takes next, last places gets 20 cent rare.
>>
>>45620618
There are official guidelines for prize support that are as legitimate as any other part of the tournament rules
>>
>>45620342
It depends if the agreed upon contract is that the packs are ante then technically you don't own anything until the conclusion. So this is where it gets kind of weird because it starts going into gambling laws. If the house has a rake, including anything of value, you are now no longer friendly/social betting and it's commercial. But as an ante it's assumed that someone will win the ante cards.
>>
>>45620755
I think that's against the rules, as I'm pretty sure that all prizes have to be sealed
>>
>>45620730
right, so if 10 people enter, 10 packs get bought, 10 packs get opened, 10 people get rares, winners chooses the pack they want based on his/her placing
the idea is that the player with the most skill gets the biggest reward for winning. on paper at least.
>>
>>45620755

So is the cost of entry buying the pack, essentially? Because that doesn't seem so bad.
>>
>>45620792
It is explicitly not an ante cause the magic rules banned that shit so that the game didn't get classified as gambling
>>
>woman to look after

Anon...
>>
>>45620205

>call the po po

Why do you talk like a nigger?
>>
>>45620859
but if you buy packs, that are then prize pooled?
Is that not gambling?

>>45620048
Also OP just complain to DCI on that store, make the world a better place.
>>
>>45620666
Devil trips, nice.
>>
>>45620823
yes, basically you buy the pack to enter.

My issue is that only the winner gets anything worthwhile, and he is trying to not allow anyone who gets anything good to leave the store with their shit.

Just tired of being fucked in the ass by store.

Gunna get out sooner rather than later.
>>
>>45620530
>Rare redrafting exists solely to screw less experienced players out of cards they might have opened.
A store I used to go to did redrafts specifically to prevent the dumb, less experienced kids from getting screwed out of cards they opened.

>Each player takes turns picking one card from the pool until everyone has picked 3, naturally in order of who came in 1st
>If a player had to drop they would return the rares and ask a buddy to pick the rares for them at the end of the event (its was a small town, so not having a buddy there was literally impossible)
>No prize packs at the end because packs are %50 off on draft nights
>If you opened an expedition you got to keep it regardless and were allowed to take a second pick from the pack

FNM at that store were really wacky too
>$3 entry fee
>no specified format, bring whatever deck you want, basically vintage but no power 9 allowed
>Don't use the computer to pair up matches, literally draw names from a hat for round one
>matches are 1 game only, no round 2, literally final destination
>keep playing until everyone has played against everyone has played a game with everyone
>tally up wins and losses and hand out packs to the top 6-8 players depending on how many people showed up.

I really miss that old store, lots of good people played there, lots of good times. It got rowdy as fuck in there at times, but owner and the judges didn't give a fuck what we did so long as we weren't cheating. The owner would even let us drink beer and eat pizza in the back room, shit was so cash.
>>
>>45620944
If it is legally classified as gambling, they would have to have a permit and not allow anyone below minimum age to participate. Otherwise it seems more like a friendly agreement that you do not just leave with the cards.
>>
File: I hope you like bent cards.gif (988 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
I hope you like bent cards.gif
988 KB, 400x225
DESU I would go to this store where they collected the cards and no prizes. Bring nothing but commons and just have fun as I shuffled and stick my cards in my mouth.
>muh collectible
>>
>>45620539
OP still has a point about the game's value for money. When you pay $1000 for a deck, are you getting $1000 worth of enjoyment from it? I can't imagine how you would. Any other kind of tabletop game would see your four digits go a lot farther, even notoriously expensive shit like Warhammer 40K.
>>
>>45621221
this
would play magic again if LCG
>>
>>45621221
>$1,000 deck
>Not playing casual deck with friends.
No wonder people aren't getting their money's worth of fun. Too much competitive tension and not enough fun.
>>
>>45621053
>A store I used to go to did redrafts specifically to prevent the dumb, less experienced kids from getting screwed out of cards they opened.

I'm curious to know what sort of retarded mental gymnastics the store owner went through when asked how that actually worked in favor of less experienced players.
>>
>>45621012
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

so your complaint this whole time is that you're not getting prizes because you're shit at magic?!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Git gud you scrub

Your store has a weird prize structure, but you're not being cheated out of anything. You are just terrible at the game and never do well enough to win HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>45621053
Please explain how the dumb, less experienced kids not getting to keep the cards they opened kept them from getting screwed out of the cards they opened
>>
>>45620094
this

Poor people don't get to have hobbies. Go complain somewhere else.
>>
>>45621443
My friends and I play casually with competitive decks, Its pretty fun, even more so when none us are sober.

>>45621494
>>45621497
Because the dumb kids never take the good cards in a pack in the first place??? Kid sees a garbage like a Rhox Mauler and picks it right away because its a big stupid fatty. Unless everyone opens literal garbage and there is only one card actually worth money everyone usually gets a fair shot, and since they take cards once at a time, even the person who comes in first usually ends up with 2 bulk rares.
>>
>>45621496
enjoying that cookie cutter dank rhino deck from nearly 2 years ago now still i see?

boy that sounds like alot of fun and have never seen that deck around.....
>>
File: hryk.jpg (52 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
hryk.jpg
52 KB, 640x478
>>45620048
see

>>45620101
>>45620333
>>45620413
>>45620571
>>45620944

also; off-topic, but pic still related
>>45620195
>>45621494
>>
>>45620577
imo rare redrafting is the best way to do drafts because it makes it more competitive. You don't need to draft any rares that won't go in your deck because if you win you can just pick them later. If you open an Expedition or something you can just drop and take it with you.
>>
>>45620530
Thieves auction makes for a healthier draft environment because people draft good decks instead of just pulling the most expensive cards.
>>
ITT: Salty city-dwelling neackbeards get angry at people living in small towns for having fun
>>
File: 11655-7369-5824.jpg (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
11655-7369-5824.jpg
15 KB, 320x240
>>45621619
>i play a competitive game casually
>i am upset when i don't win
>>
>>45621619
>not aware of current standard meta
>implying I even play standard
>salty about being bad at magic

If you don't want to be competitive that's fine, but don't bitch about tournaments not giving terrible players free prizes for accomplishing nothing.
>>
>>45621718
And Cube makes for an even healthier draft environment.
But it turns out more people booster draft than cube draft, because they're only really there for prizes.
And people who like getting prizes don't like having to redraft rares when they lose.
>>
>>45621875
well then they should get good or buy singles.
>>
>playing MtG for any reason other than having fun
You are doing it wrong
>>
>>45621951
Your absolutely correct, but booster drafts exist for the sake of taking advantage of these sorts of people.

Booster packs sell on the false hope that you'll pull more than your money's worth.
Essentially they're a way for WotC/FLGSs to part money from fools.

Booster drafts sell on the (usually) false hope that you'll do well enough to earn more than your money's worth.
Essentially they're a way for WotC/FLGSs to part money from fools who are *just* wise enough to otherwise not buy boosters.
(And by necessity, some players do get more than they're money's worth; but they're the exception, not the rule.)
>>
>>45622066
>implying fun and competitive are mutually exclusive

(I'll give the country bumpkins in this thread a few minutes to look up "mutually exclusive")
>>
>>45622099
I disagree. I don't feel that the point of booster drafts is to win more than your money's worth. Primarily it is a way to play the game with your local community without having to worry about people bringing decks of incongruous strength.
>>
>>45622382
A cheap high-quality cube costs less than entering 8 people into a booster draft.
And is reusable, obviously.
>>
>>45622434
Yeah but putting together a cube takes time, effort, and a lot of sleves.
>>
>>45622516
Even considering the value of your time, the value of sleeves, and the opportunity cost of not getting prizes, it only takes a few cube drafts to beat out booster drafting.
>>
>>45622610
sure, that is correct. I'm not saying cube isn't the best way to draft. I'm just saying that booster draft isn't the orzhovian scam that certain posters in the thread have claimed. There is fun in it, and value in the cards that you do get and in the business that you support. Whether or not you walk away with a mythic isn't the point.
>>
>>45622610
It works if you have a good group to play with, otherwise you have to deal with faggots stealing cards or stupid things like that. If you have a good group to play with, it really doesn't matter what you play, though powered cube is one of the best formats.
>>
>>45620205
You are a faggot, a pussy and a retard.

You are literally inferior in every single quantifiable metric to 87% of the entire human population.

Kill yourself, my man.
>>
FYI, packs purchased by players are the legal property of that player, even if the event those cards are used in is not over yet(draft sealed) says so clearly in the DCI rules.

Years ago I opened a snapcaster and a foil snapcaster in the same pack, the chucklefuck next to me told me that i had to pass the pack, i declined.
>>
>going to star shitty games

My FLGS has free entry for standard all month. Free pack for every match up you win. Rare redrafting doesn't exist around here.
Would feel good if any format other than EDH wasn't pay to win.
>>
>>45624936
>EDH not pay to win

oh anon, lol :)
>>
>>45625795
Not everyone plays with competitive assholes.
>>
>>45620101
This is only for sanctioned play, although I'm guessing this is technically sanctioned.
>>
>>45620048
>It's like seeing your significant other in bed with another one. It's oddly satisfying

cuck.
>>
>>45620048
MTGLion
Please
Kill
Yourself
>>
>>45620530
At my local store it is used as a way to keep the costs for drafts down. The owner tried both redrafting and prize packs and most customers liked redrafting with cheaper entry costs best.

All new players are alerted to this before the draft starts and you get to keep expeditions you pull.
>>
>>45620048

>He doesn't just play LCGs instead of dealing with all this stupid crap

Hahaha, holy shit.
>>
>>45620048
>what is cockatrice
>>
>>45627254
nice "No true Scotsman" fallacy you got there, anon ;^)
>>
>>45620048
I don't suppose you've considered just playing the game casually amongst friends, have you? Because that's what I do.

We generally play either Type II or EDH in order to prevent one of us from just building an uberdeck that never loses (i.e., the reason Type II exists), but are otherwise pretty casual. And none of us waste money on MtG tournaments, except for the occasional pre-release or release booster draft, which is of course is fair since those games are about your personal deckbuilding ability (and luck), not the size of your wallet.

Christ, /tg/ really is bad at Magic.
>>
>>45620048
As a small point of order, you can make a perfectly acceptable and powerful commander deck for as little as $20. Many people have made decks between $20 and $50 to prove you don't have to invest much to play commander.

As a base example, there's a well known deck that's just Mikaeus the unhallowed and a variety of cards that auto-win if you let them resolve with him on the field. (for instance, Triskelion)

But refusing to play because your local meta is bad isn't a bad call, OP. If you don't like the systems, you're allowed to take your business elsewhere. Just know that other regions don't have the same problems.
>>
File: Surrender-Doll.jpg (686 KB, 866x1399) Image search: [Google]
Surrender-Doll.jpg
686 KB, 866x1399
>>45620048
Show me on the doll where the big bad game company touched you.
>>
>>45620048

===> XMage, best program
>>
jesus christ this sounds fucking appalling

the only magic drafts I ever did were about 8 years ago, weren't official events and were store rules, don't play if you don't like it.

Rares were redrafted as prizes, you bought 3 packs at a slight discount, played magic.

Nobody did this "walk out as soon as you open something good" shit because they would have had the shit ripped out of them for being unsporting.

Yes the losers ended up with junk but so what, you were getting the packs at a discount
>>
What this retard doesn't get is that if his store didn't have redrafting, he wouldn't even get the 20 cent trash rare at the end of the evening.

The packs are paid for as prize support. The winner gets the most packs, which prize structure the lgs uses varies, but the universal is that the losers don't get shit. Because it's a fucking tournament.
>>
>>45620048
>store has id matching AND redrafting rares as support with no prize packs
>store starts taking purchased packs that are to be rare redrafted and tells us because they are property of the store, we can't get our shit back after i've lost 30$ rare last week.

what does all this mean?
maybe its cause im tired but i dont understand
>>
No prize packs doesn't matter as it is a PRIZE. Similar how to redrafting gives a prize to the winner. If you get a shit card from redraft you wouldn't get shit from the other structure either.

I still prefer proze packs because it allows for wider variance (even if you get one pack vs the winners 6, you can still open something nice). But complaining about not getting rewards for losing is just fucking retarded.
>>
File: 1449549016163.jpg (230 KB, 1415x775) Image search: [Google]
1449549016163.jpg
230 KB, 1415x775
>>45620270
i like you. you are like me.
>>
>>45633299
OP is getting hardcore jewed and he's blaming the game instead of his store because he didn't do enough research to understand that this isn't normal.
>>
>>45633518
It is normal, he is just shit at explaining himself. In fact he isn't even trying to and is just ranting because he is bad at the game.

His entire fucking rant is him being mad at not getting prize report for losing.

Redraft sucks but if you don't like it, don't fucking play it.
>>
This is some Virt quality bait
>>
>>45633591
Support* damn phone
>>
>>45620048
Could I interest you in just printing proxies and playing EDH with your friends?
I really dont get why people buy real cards for casual games
>>
>>45621496
It sounds more like 'he opens a pack bought at some random time other than Tournament Time, it has Something Good, and THAT is when the shopkeeper decides that that particular pack happened to have been reserved for prizes'
>>
>>45633295
No, if the store didn't have redrafting, he'd get to keep whatever he drafted.
Or are you in the habit of just throwing out all cards not part of the prize packs?
>>
>>45620309
Because this most likely never happened.
>>
>>45625795
My fifty dollars of krenko says "heeey buddy."
>>
>>45633591
I think he's mad because he bough packs outside of it and then the owner decided that pack would be prize support.
>>45620048
OP
what's the name of the store you go to.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.