[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys seem to like quests. I'd like to know what makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: 1411509391384.jpg (64 KB, 490x457) Image search: [Google]
1411509391384.jpg
64 KB, 490x457
You guys seem to like quests. I'd like to know what makes a good quest in your opinion. What quests are worth running and what quests are cancerous?
>Inb4 all quests
>>
>>45597540
All quests are cancerous, in addition to them generally being shitty circlejerks they clog up the catalog with sometimes over a dozen quest threads, some of which have been going on for dozens or in some cases over a hundred threads. I honestly wouldn't give a fuck if they had their own board but they don't.
>>
>>45597581
This
>>
>>45597581
>>45597614
>newfag doesn't know how to use filters, whines
>>
File: Don't bully.jpg (54 KB, 153x317) Image search: [Google]
Don't bully.jpg
54 KB, 153x317
>>45598415
>>
>>45598415
I shouldn't have to filter over a tenth of the board.
>>
>>45598503
But what if bullying is my fetish?
>>
>>45598517
I shouldn't have to read your whiny meta bullshit. Cause you know, it's actually in the rules. And yet, here we are.
>>
>>45598517
> I shouldn't have to ignore things that I don't like, they shouldn't be allowed to exist in the first place.
>>
>>45597540

Quests are kind of like those "Escape Room" things that are so popular now.

the premise sounds like a lot of fun - you and some friends are locked into a room filled with challenging puzzles and you must use your wits and skill to cooperate in order to escape.

However.

the reality is that you will be locked into a room that looks like a shitty cable-access TV show set filled with poorly designed, sometimes nonfunctional puzzles along with like 6 complete fucking strangers, and that inevitably a small group of 1 - 3 people who already know each other will seize de facto control of the room and solve the puzzles themselves while the rest of the group literally stands around doing nothing and regretting their recent life choices.

so i guess my point is that the question shouldn't be "do quests belong" but instead "why are so many of them incredibly boring and poorly-administrated"

also fuck Escape Room events
>>
>>45598657
>so i guess my point is that the question shouldn't be "do quests belong" but instead "why are so many of them incredibly boring and poorly-administrated"
And that's what the topic is about: what makes some of them more interesting and how does one properly administer such a quest?

I actually wanted to make a quest but got cold feet and made this instead to better prepare myself
>>
Quests are fine if they stay small, but when you start going on 15+ pages of shit, they should probably move on somewhere else.

No one is just going to start participating in a 50+ part quest, unless they devote days of playing catch up to know what's even going on.
>>
>>45598556
Never claimed that quest threads shouldn't exist Rickey Retardo, simply that they shouldn't be on /tg/.

>>45598539
OP was asking which threads are cancerous, the answer is all quests.
>>
>>45600032
>Roleplay doesn't belong on /tg/
>>
>>45600032
>Never claimed that quest threads shouldn't exist Rickey Retardo, simply that they shouldn't be on /tg/.
Go whine to the mods.
>>
>>45597540
A quest makes a player go and do X, whatever X is.
A GOOD quest makes players WANT to go and do X.
A GREAT quest makes players NEED to go and do X, as in not just need to do it or else, but feel the drive, the burn, and the actual desire to do it.
>>
>>45598871
>unless they devote days of playing catch up to know what's even going on.
Funny how people seem to keep doing just that.
>>
>>45597540
There are explicit threads made for the discussion of Quests on the weekend asshole. They have an FAQ of all the questions you might end up asking.
>>
>>45600074
>My highly specific animu fanfic belongs on /tg/
>>
>>45600196
It's more /tg/ related than Primarch Threads.
>>
>>45600317
I hate primarch threads as anyone else, but you're talking bullshit at this point and you know it
>>
Monster hunts

>>a wyvern has been stealing sheep!
>a psychic ghostly boar has been attacking the lords keep!
>some wicked thing has been drinking the children's sleep!
>when the night is darkest, some thing shrieks!
>>
>>45600196
>All quests are anime
>>
>>45598517
>11 quests up right now
>29 generals up right now
And that's the trend. There's always more generals than quests active at any one time.
>>
>>45600317
>40k
>not relevant here

u wot
>>
>>45600317
You sir should be purged for that level of HERESY!
>>
>What quests are worth running
The ones you're interested in running. If you have an idea, make a thread about it. If other people like it, it will become popular. If they don't like it, try again later or try something else.

>what quests are cancerous?
Slice-of-life harem simulators where the QM only offers three action choices but ignores "incorrect" choices. Of course, I don't really like anime, so I'm biased, but the ones that are just OP fapping to himself are boring and pathetic.

>>45603602
Anon, if you actually count the threads instead of relying on exaggeration, it doesn't make the situation look as dire.
>>
>>45598517
>there are *only* 11 quest in the middle of lunch time on a Tuesday in the USA, there's no problem here!
>>
File: Týr_by_Frølich.jpg (169 KB, 335x807) Image search: [Google]
Týr_by_Frølich.jpg
169 KB, 335x807
Claiming this horrible meta-thread which should only appear on weekends for Týr.

What is the most GLORIOUS and HEROIC quest you've done on tabletop?
The most recent quest I've embarked on was quite heroic.
>enter blazing building
>find child
>use all spell slots protecting child in a variety of ways
>save the child
>die

It was glorious.

To answer the OP question though the 40k ones don't look AS BAD as the shitty monstergirl, nuratu or wanpiss ones. I would suggest choosing something /tg/-related for your thread or just take it to some forum. Also I would wait for the weekend cesspit for discussing this since you're going to get chewed up if you just make a thread and we have more than enough quest-related threads already.
>>
>>45598517
>>45603602
Quest General when?
>>
>>45608020
Weekends, nerd.
>>
>>45608098
No, not "When do we get a General where we discuss Quests?"
When do we get a single thread where all the Quests have to happen simultaneously?
>>
>>45608098
Im confused as to why that is. I mean, people run quests all through the week, having a general not restricted to weekend would avoid threads like this.
>>
>>45608161
keeping the more controversial generals to the weekends helps keep down general vitriol from the "no fun allowed crowd"
>>
There is only one quest I consider cancerous, and it is more the player base than the quest itself. Out of respect for the QM, I won't say here. He has a wonderful writing style, an expansive world, and a hell of a lot of patience. There are even a good amount of "fuck yeah" monents, but I just can't get past the players arguing enough to be able to read it again.
I generally stay away from the anime based quests, too.
>>
>>45608388
tell us
>>
>>45608388
Go on anon, were all friends here.
>>
>>45608388
It's got a little girl in it, doesn't it?
>>
>>45608206
Do you think 'Quests should have their own board' is 'no fun allowed'?
If so, why? What about quests having their own place means that said quests would not be fun anymore?
>>
>>45608535
I think that quests belong on tg, but I also wouldn't be mad about having their own board. More room for quests and we don't flood tg. It's a win win.
>>
File: 1447767741171.jpg (134 KB, 764x764) Image search: [Google]
1447767741171.jpg
134 KB, 764x764
I thought the OP was talking about quests as in adventures of undertakings.

Campaigns are usually a string of quests right? How do you make a quests that is simple but amazing.

The Oedipus tale is amazing, but like two fucking things happen. It's a classic and it's a legit, great adventure but it's incredibly simple.

How can you, as a DM, manage to give the players a simple, concise adventure that they can think on and say "fucking wow that was cool"?

Is it the environment? The magical foreign land they stomp through? Or is it the monster/puzzle they conquer?

I don't understand.

>>45608535
Also I made a relevant thread asking for original content, I think it was like OC monsters or something. I provided one of my own but that's all I had because I hadn't done anymore and I wanted to know if anyone else makes monster art/how they do stat them/etc. It died with 0 replies. I guess I'm salty because I'm more of a lurker and I risked making a post as I am again now. Quests are OC content, aren't they? But they often stifle other things with how many posts they get. They aren't bad but cum on senpai geez there is a lot.

Why not a /tgq/ board for generals and quests
>>
>>45608535
Everyone is tired of people screaming for a new board. You want one, take it up with the mods. But as of the last time Moot v2 polled, tg is the opposite of united on the issue, and you haven't exactly formed any new and intriguing arguments.
>>
>>45608764
>OC monsters or something
I once rei-magined the Medusa as a parasitic snake infestation who's endgame was snake-head
Propagated by snake bites injecting young instead of venom
When you cut off the head, the snakes would dislodge and flee (and the ones the grew too big left naturally)
The host body's brain would slowly be eaten by the baby snakes and controlled in such a way that it would suicidally grapple anyone in range that the snakes viewed as a target

There was probably other stuff, but I can't recall
>>
>>45608869
I had a really similar idea once. Instead of parasites it was corpses filled with snakes. Snakes coming out of the eye sockets mainly, and their venom turns you to Stone.
>>
>>45597581
>All quests are cancerous, in addition to them generally being shitty circlejerks they clog up the catalog with sometimes over a dozen quest threads, some of which have been going on for dozens or in some cases over a hundred threads. I honestly wouldn't give a fuck if they had their own board but they don't.

I've run Cyclops Civ and am now running Homonculi Civ and this is a VERY real concern and fear I have.

People seem to like what I do and I try really hard to improve and provide a really interesting world, invested characters and story and so forth- but the moment If it ever becomes too much of a circle-jerk where it's annoying or terrible to outsiders is the moment I don't want to do it anymore.

I also agree in the sentiment that I don't enjoy seeing /tg/ completely clustered and swarmed with /tg/ with dozens of quest threads and is a big part of why I only do this once a week on Saturday.
>>
I fucking hate all quests and I hate all of you too
>>
>>45597540
Good quests are ones that are /tg/ related

like the Mech Engineer quest, which was Battletech and thus /tg/ (and kill)
>>
>>45608948
I've never really looked into Civ threads
What do you do in there?
I always imagined it was like playing Dawn of Worlds with a few people on /tg/
>>
>>45608948
You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time. If your audience enjoys it, and you enjoy it, that's what counts.
You also do your part and are considerate of how many other quests are running.

I've never actually read a Civ. What are they like?
>>
>>45608535
>>45608731
I think freeform roleplay only belongs on /tg/ when being discussed in relation tradional games being used as a tool for roleplay (i.e. non-freeform roleplay).
So I don't think that Quests, being a freeform roleplay, belong on /tg/ (though discuss comparing quests to other types of roleplay would belong).
The closest board that I could reasonably see quests belonging in is >>>/trash/; but Questfags would hate that, /trash/fags would hate that, and the lack of an archive would be a problem.

I'm all in favor of a new Quest board, but in the absence of that I would at least like the Quests to be corralled into a single thread.
>>
>>45609082
>>45609084
>What do you do in there?

In a traditional "civilization quest" you pic a species/race a time period and set out in an initial habitat where your "civilization" essentially starts:
Your players than input/blare out Actions(d20) and Ideas/Research(d100) to advance the plot and the successtion of your species civilization.

That's basically it in a nutshell: short term people usually like voting for the area and race per the moment, but I'm all about planning and long term story-telling and pride myself on picking an unpopular or unconventional race and giving people a bit of an adventure and so forth.

The Cyclops Civilization Quest was able to get to.. I'm going to say Greco-esque Time, while the Homonculi quest is handled on more of a micro level and is handled 1 season per thread.

>>What are they like?
Exhausting- I host them as 8 hour single-thread session marathons and they usually run until the hit bump limit at 250-300 posts on a good day.
But people keep coming back and they keep exploring and interacting with the world and enjoying it's characters so I can't complain.
>>
>>45609295
Not the other guy, but I just want to say, I really respect your passion. I hate quests and civs (mostly cause I have no interest, but I just filter 'em), but reading that makes me at least respect your devotion to what you do. I wish more gamers of all types had that kind of drive. Kudos and get off my board, senpai
>>
>>45609295
Sounds like an RTS but in freeform. Also sounds like something I should check out.
How do you keep up the energy?
>>
>>45609295
So then opposing factions are just up to the whim of the storyteller?
I thought it was a building conflict between players (again, because I thought it was like Dawn of Worlds)
Well, I learned something today. The more you know and all that jazz
>>
>>45609149
>Quests, being a freeform roleplay
What about the ones that use dice and rules

Note: I am all for the freeform weebquests to go back to /a/
>>
File: FLOORB2-B10_Map.png (50 KB, 864x864) Image search: [Google]
FLOORB2-B10_Map.png
50 KB, 864x864
>>45609483
>So then opposing factions are just up to the whim of the storyteller?

Yes, It's basically me operating and micromanaging the "earth/world" and it's various threats while the players are in charge of the civilizations actions and research.
I interprate their actions, motives and influences and so forth and translate that over into their culture, important character development and how the other entities will view them and so forth.

It's a lot like Dwarf Fortress with HISTORY.

>>45609414
>Sounds like an RTS but in freeform.
It's entirely that- A lot of what I do is improvised/developed in real time with what my players are doing.

>>45609380
>and get off my board, senpai

I'm thinking of taking what I've learned both written and drawing (because I also draw supplimental illustrations, pic related- I've been doing DUNGEON FLOOR PLANS to make things easier to visualize) and going to /tg/chan and Running a Graphic Romance Adventure quest.
>>
>>45609149
A single thread just seems unreasonable. It'd reach a new scale of clusterfucky. New board or no change is the only real option here
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.