[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: fatal mistakes a rookie party is liable to make >going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 12
File: FUCK.png (1 MB, 1280x992) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.png
1 MB, 1280x992
ITT: fatal mistakes a rookie party is liable to make

>going into the sewers

>doing a 'favor' for the local crime boss

>trusting a woman
>>
>following a little girl
If a little girl appears in your TTRPG and wants help or, god forbid, wants you to follow her, run. Don't look back, just fucking run. Little girls are always bad news.
>>
>>45268950

Letting your DM know Grimtooth's Traps exists.
>>
>falling for it when the GM tries to intimidate you by going "Are you SUUUUUUUUUURRREEE? :^)"

It's always, always a bluff. Feel free to proceed every time.
>>
>>45270473
Er...

Are you certain of that anon?
>>
>>45268950
>Letting someone with opinions like these GM for them.
>>
>>45268950
The trick is to go into a sewer, but armed with flamethrowers out the ass.

Note that this does occasionally set off sewer gas (which is a real thing, btw) and can cause pretty massive havoc. Always worth it.
>>
Letting John Wick GM.
>>
>>45268950
>I want to roll to intimidate
>>
>>45268950
>playing with someone who regularly posts on 4chan, especially /tg/.
>>
>>45271781
This x 1000
>>
>>45268950
>trying to fuck an NPC

>rushing down a supposed BBEG

>reading too much into a GMs words or actions

>choosing the swashbuckling class

>not keeping a consistant play schedule

>not leaving the drama at the door

And my personal favorite
>arguing (wrongly) with the GM
>>
>>45268950
>"Hey Gang, lets split up and look for clues!"
>>
>>45270473
Yes, that might be a bluff. But if I just say "Ok," and nod my head, the next words out of my mouth are raping your character. With chainsaws. Rusty. Tooth missing. No gas in the motor. Hand cranked.

You want to try and call if I'm in an "Ok" point or if I'm just going to ass-pull something neat out?

How much have you fucking annoyed me lately?
>>
>>45272741

Edge
>>
>>45272741
Get a load of this edgelord.
>>
>>45272741
Hand powered chainsaw. What possesses a man to make such a thing?
>>
>>45273010
The lack of fuel.
>>
>Not rolling to see if someone is lying.
>>
>>45274580
I wouldn't. As many of player, (And one noted trouble-maker; multiple times) have found out. If I say something along the lines of, "He broke Death on a universal scale. Shattered it and made it cry. You actually want to punch him in the face?" don't think I'm bluffing. You will in fact be his next soul-bitch, eaten raw like sushi.

Learn to trust your GM. He has all the source code for the universe you play in.
>>
>>45273961
Biggest mistake. Even my seasoned players don't constantly do this. Always roll sense motive. Even if you're talking to a physical embodiment of good, mercy, and peace you roll sense motive.
>>
>>45274668
What is it's the god(dess) of truth?
>>
>>45269105
Would it be different if it's a boy?
>>
>>45274660
>Learn to mock your GM, for his is a shitty human being on a juvenile power trip
>>
>>45274801
Still role sense motive. Never trust anything, ever. I entirely blame Shadowrun for this lesson.
>>
>Trusting women
>Trusting little girls
Why does this always lead to death?
>>
>>45275215
*Roll I'm dumb as fuck.
>>
>>45273010
When a regular-sized osteotome isn't large enough.
>>
>>45275218
Because your GM doesn't have enough originality in him to come up with a deceptive conniving man or a horrible eldritch little boy abomination for a change.
>>
>>45275074
I don't know, because it's always a girl.
>>
>>45270473
As a GM who tries to portray the game world objectively and doesn't let his own subjective feelings get in the way, I'd like to point out that the only time I ever say that is if I believe the player has forgotten something about his character or surroundings, and I wish to remind him.
>>
>>45269105
I did this in my first session. Our party woke up after some hibernation or something in the basement of an ancient temple and I scared a bunch of looters into leaving by creating an image of a little girl who asked them to follow her then disappeared laughing when they tried to touch her.
>>
>>45276142
I tend to do this too.
Only real time I warned a player recently, was when one of them forgot that the crypt they were in was clearly haunted, by passive spirits, and they were about to crack open the main tomb, the tomb of the guy for which every other spirit in the place died for.
>>
>>45268950
Your a fagot but I'm going to bite
>assuming an old man is weak.
>thinking kobolds are goblin level canon foder.
>taking a trip to the lower plains before there very strong.
>>
>>45276983
>thinking kobolds are goblin level canon foder.
I think this can be generalized to:
>thinking X monster must be canon fodder
Even if race X isn't really capable of organizing themselves, there's no end of the the TPKs that can come from the players assuming a group of stupid creatures are going to fight disorganized, just because they haven't yet found out that said creatures are the slaves/vassals of a more capable group that provided them with training.
>>
>>45276983
>Assuming ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING is weak.
>>
>>45278790
This, my Half-Orc Barbarian has almost died to goblins 2 times and 2 ratfolk in only 4 short sessions
>>
>>45268950

why is going through the sewers a mistake?
>>
>>45281379
because beneath the floor with the rats, is the floor with the traps.

Beneath the floor with the traps, is the floor with the Shoggoth.
>>
File: 1421971939013.jpg (169 KB, 1280x880) Image search: [Google]
1421971939013.jpg
169 KB, 1280x880
>>45281379
Why don't you go down there and find out?
>>
>>45270473
Says the dude that's gonna be rolling up a new character real damn quick
>>
File: DMing 101.png (874 KB, 930x639) Image search: [Google]
DMing 101.png
874 KB, 930x639
>>45268950
Okay elegan/tg/entlemen, here we go

>Leaping into a hole or portal without knowing if it's safe
>Opening a suspicious door without checking for traps
>Touching, wearing, and using items without identifying them first
>Not taking heed of warning signs like broken bodies in suspicious places
>Underestimating an enemy

>Not bringing backup weapons
>Not covering all the damage types
>Not having ranged attacks
>Not bringing standard adventuring equipment (rope, 10ft pole, etc)
>Not having healing covered
>Not having a light source that doesn't occupy a hand
>Not having beasts of burden or wagons

>Trusting monsters, demons in particular
>Talking shit about friendly NPCs right in their faces
>Handing important items to NPCs who aren't that item's intended user
>Disregarding a friendly NPC's warning
>Torturing NPCs for no reason and believing what they say
>Leaving enemies alive

>Bragging about your character and how OP you think he is
>Interrupting the GM impolitely or without a good reason
>Complaining about how easy an encounter is
>Loudly talking shit about the GM's work
>Failing to roleplay

>Stealing from PCs
>Dealing damage to PCs
>Otherwise trolling or griefing other PCs
>>
>>45282048
Is that some Mazes and Monsters?
>>
File: shine_get (1).jpg (62 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
shine_get (1).jpg
62 KB, 600x448
>>45282048
>shine at its bottom
>>
>>45268950
>Playing D&D
>>
>>45270473
High lethality is best lethality.
>>
>>45282126
Yes.
It is a far out game.
>>
>>45274801
She could still be telling you the truth, but to serve her own motives.
>>
>>45282505

Unless that motive is related to spreading truth and honesty throughout the world, I'm calling some bullshit on that
>>
>>45282461
RIP in pieces Tom Hanks' character. Poor bastard never had a chance.
>>
>>45282649
God of Truth =/= God of Honesty
You could easily argue that Vecna is a god of Truth, since giving away secrets is his business. He trades with the truth, but he manipulates the hell out of it.

A God of Honesty however still could be manipulating you in a passive way.
You don't need to look further than what Strahd did in this story to get how honesty can still manipulate people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icYbEBgUZJc
>>
>>45268950
My players...
>pulled a glowing magic spear out of a petrified lump in a diseased magical forest
>>
File: Absolutely_Disgusting.jpg (750 KB, 1397x1048) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely_Disgusting.jpg
750 KB, 1397x1048
>>45282776
>God of Truth =/= God of Honesty
>God of Honesty could be manipulating you
>>
>>45282835
Look at it this way:
>You are the God of Honesty
>Everything you say therefore is the clear, complete and *honest* truth
What part of this stops you from manipulating situations elsewhere in a way that the people you're dealing with would be morally obligated to do what you tell them to do?
After all, when you inform them of the situation you've created, they'll have to believe you, you are a god of honesty, and you'll be able to honestly tell them that the only way they can continue on without losing something of themselves along the way, is by following the path you've set down for them.

You can still be evil and manipulative if you're honest.
You're just playing with an open deck.
>>
>>45282948
>What part of this stops you from manipulating people

The part where you're the personification of honesty and related ideals, instead of being a sock-puppet for a pedantic shitbag GM.
>>
>>45282948
Look at the Aes Sedai in the Wheel of time books. They're magically compelled to never lie, but manipulate and control power by leaving shit out and playing on wide knowledge of this fact to their advantage.
>>
File: 1449501883511.png (735 KB, 1703x1801) Image search: [Google]
1449501883511.png
735 KB, 1703x1801
>>45282048
>be cautious

>be prepared

>be distrustful to enemies

>be trustful to allies

>be humble

>be polite

It's like commandments for roleplayers. or decent human beings.
>>
>>45275215
I want the greentext of this session now anon. Im taking this story bait
>>
>>45283098
>And related ideals?
Sorry, that's not part of "God of Honesty". It doesn't say "God of Honesty and [insert related ideals here]", it just says God of Honesty.

But yeah, the fact that you automatically think that a god who isn't a genetic stereotype is a Sockpuppet, instead of a character with an agenda good or evil really makes it sound like there's no point to this conversation.

Have fun man.
>>
>>45278663
>first session, AD&D 1st ed
>playing wizard
>party has ranger, cleric, assassin, thief, warrior
>going to clear out a moat house
>three giant frogs jump out of the water
>none of us can hit for shit
>we keep getting hit
>assassin drops weapon due to fumble, winds up dying
>we're all getting KO'ed
>frogs are going all scooby doo tongue on us with their tongues licking the blood
>GM throws those of us still alive a bone and the assassin player takes over a sheet for a guy that never came
>frogs die
>we all get carted back to town
>wizard now has a frog phobia

Yeah, don't underestimate anything.
>>
>>45283173
Sounds like a fun game.
Please tell me the DM later did something with frogs so your character has something to play off of/overcome.
>>
>>45283170
Huh? I think you missed my point a bit man. All I was giving was an example to back up that something or someone compelled to not make dishonest statments can still eg. lie by omission.
>>
>>45283144
That's an eloquent way of putting it. I might write it down somewhere for future use
>>
>>45283248
Actually, there were lots of jokes about frog ribbits and my character had a dream after almost being assassinated in bed by some dude in a cloak. This is the note I was handed.

"A dark figure stands over you, enshrouded by a black cloak. The glint of moonlight on his raised dagger reveals his intent. The hood of the cloak falls, the moonlight reveals the head and face of... A FROG!"

"Take 25 exp for voluntarily taking a fear of frogs."

And if he had lived long enough to summon a familiar, some real shit would have gone down if a frog appeared.
>>
>>45283298
Oh wait, sorry.>>45283170 was supposed to be in reply to >>45283097.
Sorry, yeah you made a good point.
>>
>>45275740
>mfw I today lead my players into an ambush by making them follow a little boy into an underground cavern beneath the town
>>
File: Little_Lamplight.png (335 KB, 703x423) Image search: [Google]
Little_Lamplight.png
335 KB, 703x423
>>45283474
Children, man. Can't they just not try to kill us for once?

We wouldn't kill them so much if they weren't killing us first.
>>
File: VDlnQ3d.png (316 KB, 641x316) Image search: [Google]
VDlnQ3d.png
316 KB, 641x316
>>45272741
>>
>>45283173
Temple of Elemental Evil?
>>
>>45283144
Why would you trust your allies?
>>
>>45285475
Trustful could be interpreted as trusting them or being trustworthy yourself
>>
>>45271715
>biographer's note: anon died of suffocation in a sewer two days later
>>
>>45285445
Yep.
>>
>>45271715
Open flame in an enclosed location.

What could go wrong?
>>
>>45282048
>>Not having a light source that doesn't occupy a hand

Fuck, like how do you climb up/down a really long ladder while carrying a torch. Thats a really simple, but obnoxious humdinger to throw at players

You want to throw it down to the bottom? ok it drops, drops, drops, and you can't see it any more. Looks like the ladder goes more than 30'. And the ladder terminates in a small puddle of water which will extinguish the torch, so when you climb down, you never know where the bottom is.

And, no, you cant carry it in your teeth, your burn your face off.

Seems like a good reason to bring a light spell.
>>
>>45286103
>closed lantern
>attach to belt
>climb down
gg ez
>>
>>45285445

lol, immediately recognized which adventure this was.
>>
>>45286119

>implying a first level character is going to spend their precious gold pieces on a pricey lantern

you're gonna have a good time watching your players go down the ladder in the dark.
>>
>>45286174
>implying I don't always buy an expensive lantern
It's a great investment.
>>
>>45269105
We did this, ended up propigating a werewolf plague on a fucking orphanage
>>
>>45271781
Bull shit. My Saturday night game is pretty much my best gaming group.
>>
>>45268950
>ITT: fatal mistakes a rookie party is liable to make
playing with this clown >>45272741
>>
>>45286103
>a light spell
Yeah, that's more or less what I was getting at. In 5e, pretty much any party can have access to it as a cantrip.

You could also get by if the party has darkvision (or something similar), magic to hold a torch, or some kind of lamp.
>>
>>45282048
Who the fuck carries a 10 ft pole around with them?
>>
>>45282816
is this a reference to something?
>>
>>45287193
>Who the fuck carries a 10 ft pole around with them?
>These words found on a tombstone, followed by the engraving "Anon's last words."
>>
>>45287193
If it makes you feel better, a long polearm can substitute for a 10ft pole.
>>
>>45287193
Anon, you always need a 10 foot pole, so that when the DM introduces his magical realm, you have something to not touch it with.
>>
>>45276213
You're a cheeky devil m8.
>>
>>45268950
>going into the sewers
Why's that a mistake? Shit belongs in the sewers.
>>
File: 10-foot-pole.jpg (43 KB, 400x379) Image search: [Google]
10-foot-pole.jpg
43 KB, 400x379
>>45287456
>tfw DM's magical realm is literally a dungeon full of traps
>>
>>45287456
No, you need an eleven foot pole, because otherwise it won't span all those ten foot wide pits.
>>
>>45272741
Do you shake your head and mutter "nothin' personnel....kid" after doing it?
>>
>>45287862
>starting up the pole-length/gap-distance arms race

This is what you have a rope and grappling hook for, anon.
>>
File: 1409703815916.jpg (5 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1409703815916.jpg
5 KB, 125x125
Doing absolutely NOTHING in a situation and then claiming afterwards they were unsure.

Well... yes. That is the textbook definition of hesitation and hesitation makes many situations worse! Please do not by mystified why a hostile NPC took advantage of the opportunity.

You're playing a fantasy gaming system where you get to be more heroic than your life typically allows you! TAKE RISKS!
>>
I am not a skeleton.
>>
>>45288261
>>45288303
The second post should be something more believable and relevant to the thread. Also wait a little more than 30 seconds.
>>
>>45288361
That isn't samefag, if that's what you're implying.
>>
>>45268950
Not researching your opponents before a fight.

It ended with a building on fire and a months-long FBI investigation ruined.
>>
>>45286475
Our you the only one from 4chan?
>>
>>45269105
If you follow her, she'll betray you and turn out to be some horrible monster. If you don't follow her, she'll turn out to be an ordinary little girl whom you've doomed to an awful fate through your paranoia, and the DM will be sure to rub it in as much as possible.
>>
>>45279042
I had a half orc barbarian in my party who almost died to a swarm of bats.
And his own stupidity.
>>
File: scooby_doo_zombie_crew.jpg (136 KB, 942x622) Image search: [Google]
scooby_doo_zombie_crew.jpg
136 KB, 942x622
>>45272607
>"Hey Gang, lets split up and look for clues!"

I would have gotten away with it if weren't for those meddling kids.
>>
>>45290317
How does daphne's shirt even do that?

Also, what happened to their faces? It's like 4 copies of frankenstein's monster are wearing their skin.
>>
>>45288504
What if your DM is a lolicon? I'd assume they're always new DMPC magical bullshit characters. Is that a safe assumption?
>>
>>45272741
>letting the players' behaviors outside the game effect how hard you TPK risk-takers
pssh, nuthin' personnel, kid
>>
>>45286286
We did the same thing. Left the little girl in a mining camp as it was "dangerous to go with us"
Infected the camp.
Infected the village next door.

Found out about the townsfolks "condition" when I pressed a silver coin on the back of the innkeepers neck.
DM insisted that they could have been "good werewolves" "just trying to live their lives" (despite the whole running about eating and infecting everyone thing) Well they made good kindling. As did the wooden palisades and the rest of the town. We decided that werewolves had no need of riding horses and departed posthaste.
DM spagettied as his attempts to personalize the campaign for one of the party (a married woman he was terribly and obviously infatuated in) and we rode off his rails and into the night.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.