[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do wizards live in towers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 15
File: First_Tower.jpg (359 KB, 523x3500) Image search: [Google]
First_Tower.jpg
359 KB, 523x3500
Why do wizards live in towers?
>>
BECAUSE IT'S A GIANT COCK. COME CLIMB IT, MORTALS, IT'S FULL OF SLIMES AND OOZES!
>>
>>45005152
I think it's because of OD&D expecting you to build your own tower by level 10 or so, after pillaging various dungeons and stuff, the topic sticking around.
Why is this applied to wizards rather than other classes beats me, probably because wizards have crazy shit and makes the tower interesting

>>45005158
This is also a possible reason
>>
Magic is stronger the closer you are to the celestial realm

Also damn great view
>>
Because it's way more fun than living in a dungeon
>>
>>45005152
...is that a giant tuba wrapped around the tower?
>>
Wizards are the ultimate showmen. Although I imagine their tower would have more impact if it was shaped like a gigantic middle finger.
Overall, the more flashy and obnoxious, the better
>>
>>45005152
to better observe the movements of the celestial bodies
>>
Phallic symbolism. Obviously the dungeon represents your mother's vagina

t. Freud
>>
>>45005152

To rain death from above if the belowgrounders ever get uppity.
>>
>>45005152
In Tolkien towers and wizards were a matched set. Ironically, they never get stormed or directly attacked in the books, despite being the core of Mordor and Isenguard.
>>
So that no one ever forget that, on all matters, the wizard is above them.
>>
>>45005182
OF COURSE, HOW ELSE DO I BROADCAST MY UNDULATING MOANS ACROSS THE COUNTRYSIDE? COME CLIMB IT AND TRY TO STOP ME.....I'M INCREDIBLY BORED
>>
File: 1330883056060.png (588 KB, 918x4643) Image search: [Google]
1330883056060.png
588 KB, 918x4643
So you can look down on the pathetic fools who chose martial classes instead of following you into unraveling the mysteries of the universe.
>>
>>45005152
So they cannot called basement dwellers.
>>
>>45005152
because i can fly and some of my enemies cant

hah have fun climbing the walls you fagots
>>
I read in an old AD&D, or perhaps it was OD&D, book that wizard's towers acted like gigantic magical focuses. The larger the better. It was also a symbol of how grandiose wizards were. I like to imagine that at the top of such a tower is a larger crystal or orb that servers as a powerful focus for the wizard to use his magics with.
>>
>>45005152
You want in-character reasons, or game design reasons? Have some of both:

When you have a junction of ley lines, you can maximise the number of rooms that are over the junction by stacking them one on top of the other.

Because wizards are cheapskates when they're low level, and ordinary watchtowers dot the continent, ripe for purchase from some broke, desperate feudal lord.

An upright structure (ideally, a cylindrical one) minimizes the structure's footprint and wall surface area available to be attacked by ground-based enemies.

It provides an excellent view of the surrounding land (and sky).

It provides an excellent reminder to the land-bound serfs of who's superior.

Easy to air out the alchemical lab when stuff catches on fire. In a dungeon, you might turn the whole place into a suffocating gas trap.

Penis envy.
>>
>>45005234
Idea
>wizard towers made of organic metal/conductive material
>at the tip of the spire is an orb chamber
>the higher and bigger the tower the more potent its capacity to anplify magic
>accomplished wizards seek to build such towers, reside at its zenith
>entering a ritual trance or channeling magic in the higher sanctum frees the wizard from his mortal fetters
>becomes aware of world energy ways, leg lines, can project consciousness through time, travel to other worlds and dimensions, experience life as others, etc.
>>
>>45005232
>Wizard
>Considers scrubs who can't even manage such a simple thing as flight "enemies"
supreme jij
>>
>>45005280
I had an AD&D character that retired and became a party liaison of sorts. He could project his esp abilities hundreds or thousands of miles from the top of his tower. He'd be the guy that gave us updates from the regional feudal lords and kept our valuables safe in his stone golem protected vault
>>
File: 1434442614058.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1434442614058.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
>>45005152
Where else am I going to keep all my daemons, golems, skellingtons and whores. Or my cat for that matter.
>>
>>45005616
>my daemons
In an egg.

>golems, skellingtons
The basement,

> and whores.
Also the basement, actually.

> Or my cat for that matter.
He's probably out in the fields chasing mice anyway.
>>
>>45005152
The same reason cities are built on top of the bones of other cities. The old gets pushed down for the new.
In the case of wizards that would mean their old labs and experiments that failed or didn't come out quite right or a spell got botched so one level needed to be sealed off least the twisted abominations from a realm left unspoken come pouring in. Wizards ain't got no sense of right or wrong.

tl;dr - your question is silly.
>>
File: 1405614119728.jpg (161 KB, 622x880) Image search: [Google]
1405614119728.jpg
161 KB, 622x880
>>45005211
>I could read the dwarven rules that he had chiseled onto his armor, and discerned his name was "Madein Ironhall".

Every time
>>
>>45005152
Because Tolkien put a wizard in a tower.

In-universe, the Isengard fortress was given to Saruman by a Steward of Gondor who didn't have the manpower to keep the fortress garrisoned, and was glad of a wizard's help.

As to why the fortress had a tower built that way in the first place (Orthanc was pretty unique, even in Middle Earth), who the fuck knows?
>>
>>45005194
My mother? They built dungeon after my mothers genitals specifically?
>>
>>45006119
Yes, and it's considered one of the greatest engineering achievements of this millennium.
>>
>>45005152
To channel more magic power. The taller the tower is. And by that extension closer to the heavens. The wizard can channel magic. While at the same time he can channel the power of the planet. So basicaly the tower is a great ritual component that allows the wizard/mage to channel the power of his own planet and the power of the very on stars.
>>
>>45005152
1. it provides isolation from the world. It is similar to the ascetics who lived in/on pillars. Total seclusion to pursue their unearthly, spiritual studies.
2. strongly tied to the above; it is symbolic of their quest to reach the heavens, and discover the secrets of the universe. It emphasises the spiritual and intellectual nature of their quest.
>>
>>45005152
To stay away from the martial pleb. They'll have to climb that shit, while you can just fly or teleport like a true champion of the world.
>>
>>45006274
what if there epic level enough to just jump up
>>
To imitate the majestic and powerful Goat.
>>
It's easier to see the torch and pitchfork mob coming at you after you fuck up a spell and unleash a semen demon on the spring festival or something.
>>
File: 1332810412990.jpg (42 KB, 300x371) Image search: [Google]
1332810412990.jpg
42 KB, 300x371
Where does the narratove of wozards living in towers come from?
>>
>>45006119
Yes. It's big, full of awful monsters and well-used by rough and tumble degenerates.
>>
>>45006237

this

towers symbolise isolation and loftiness, conection to the heavenly, astrology etc...
>>
>>45005152
The exercise of going up and down the stairs compensates the otherwise sedentary lifesyle
>>
>>45005211
That's how I'm gonna Wizard from now on.
>>
>>45007410
Pretty much nailed it.

Though if you want an in-universe reason, it may be that they like having the line-of-sight for spells.
>>
>>45006274
>I cast Stone To Mud on the bottom floor.
>You can't. It has... uh... an Antimagic Field! On the whole tower!
>Seems like a poor home for a wizard then.
>>
>>45007793
>The face when you're so powerful wizard that you don't even need to cast spells.
>you wave your hand and they already roll will to not cower and run
>feels good man
>>
>>45005152
Because energy, and thus magical energy, flows from space from the sun and beyond. Wizards experience power boosts and a closeness to the vast power beyond they higher up they get. The atmosphere blocks out massive.amounts of energy, so a tall tower is very effective.

Mountains arent usually employed by wizards. They often disrupt magical energy flow and are filled with monsters and dwarves. Thus wizards with ambition will build their towers ever trying to reach space.
>>
>>45005163
>Why is this applied to wizards rather than other classes beats me, probably because wizards have crazy shit and makes the tower interesting
Other classes had similar stuff, actually. Fighters usually established strongholds, Clerics churches or temples, etc.
>>
File: 1381805476483.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
1381805476483.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1800
>>45005848
>2016
>putting your whores in the same basement as your skellingtons
shiggy diggy
>>
>>45006620
>they didn't edit the description
I'm a little disappointed desu
>>
>>45005201
Orthanc _was_ directly attacked by the ents, their attacks were ineffective though.

Saruman was, if I recall correctly, the only wizard with a tower, and even then he didn't build it himself. Gandalf and Radagast had, again, if I recall correctly, no permanent homes, preferring to wander, and of the two who went to the east too little is known to speculate if they had towers or not.

Sauron wasn't a wizard, so Barad Dûr doesn't count, but it was (successfully) attacked at the end of the Second Age. The thought of attacking Barad Dûr directly during the end of the Third Age would have been laughable at best, the forces Gondor and Rohan could field weren't even reasonably expected to force entrance into Mordor, much less reach the dark tower. They were, essentially, bait.
>>
>>45006119
It's not like there's a single wizard in the lands who doesn't possess intimate knowledge of it.
>>
>>45009492
>their attacks were ineffective though
That's not true. They razed that shit to the ground, except for the central tower, in which Saruman was imprisoned. He was trapped in there.
>Sauron wasn't a wizard
If you're serious, that's a semantic quibble at best: he was a spellcaster and a Maiar, just like Gandalf et al., even if he wasn't one of those who were formally described as the five wizards. From a meta perspective he certainly qualifies as a wizard.
>>
File: 1357622205378.jpg (53 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
1357622205378.jpg
53 KB, 720x479
>>45005182
>>
>>45007793
>I cast Stone To Mud on the bottom floor.
>The bottom floor turns to mud, the rest of the tower stays where it is

What, you thought the tower is subject to gravity?
>>
>>45009697
>That's not true.
Yes true.

>They razed that shit to the ground
They razed _Isengard_, the larger fortress. They couldn't raze (or even damage, for that matter) _Orthanc_, the tower.

>From a meta perspective he [Sauron] certainly qualifies as a wizard.
Okay, that's fair enough.
>>
>>45009697
>If you're serious, that's a semantic quibble at best: he was a spellcaster and a Maiar, just like Gandalf et al., even if he wasn't one of those who were formally described as the five wizards. From a meta perspective he certainly qualifies as a wizard.

Only if you want to call all Maiar wizards.
>>
>>45005182

Ar Tonelico, where purpose-built robot lolis "sing" magic (really, access codes and executable scripts for the supertech tower), and you power them up by jamming crystals into access ports in a thinly veiled metaphor for deep dickings.

Thanks, Japan.
>>
>>45010008
As if all Reyvateils were lolis. There were many oppai ones too.
>>
>>45009949
>They razed _Isengard_, the larger fortress. They couldn't raze (or even damage, for that matter) _Orthanc_, the tower.
Derp. That's true. My bad.
>>45009969
Well, yeah, that's why I said it was a semantic thing that only really works if you consider external definitions of "wizard."
>>
>>45010008
And the actual way to power 'en up is entering their minds and helping them deal with their inner demons. The crystals are used like that only in one of the towers.
>>
>>45005152
Wider firing lines.
>>
>>45011649
>And the actual way to power 'en up is entering their minds and playing the J-date sim minigame.

Altered for accuracy. It's a fun little RPG with a somewhat-novel combat system and some pretty dense lore. I'm not ashamed to say I played I and II. But it's still a harem anime waifu simulator.
>>
>>45012336
But it's a GOOD waifu simulator.
And i usually hate waifu simulators.
>dat music
>>
>>45005152
They like to feel tall.
>>
>>45005152
Thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2SagbXd5tA
It's a song about a wizard building a goddamn tower
>>
>>45012543
Hell yeah.
>>
>>45005152
it's their natural habitat
>>
>>45005152
>strg f ivory tower
>no results

You guys are not only fat but also uneducated.
>>
>>45012660
You just showed your power level, mein Freund.
>>
>>45012746

Is it over 88?
>>
>>45009165
I know! It's like that plebian WANTS them to bone!
>>
>>45005152
So you know there's a wizard there. Impossibly tall towers can't really be built with mundane engineering in fantasyland.
>>
>>45005152

Would you not live in a tower, if you had the chance?

I'd live in a tower.
>>
>>45013280
How would you design it?
>>
>>45012336
>>45012374

Considering one of the goals is romancing only one of the girls, that means it's not a harem. And since the game is mostly a RPG and the only visual novel sequences are the Cosmospheres, that also eliminates the anime waifu simulator part, as the game ends upon beating a final boss instead of depending on a calendar or stat raising system. The only game on the series that actually would be a waifu simulator is Ciel nosurge.
>>
File: another fuck up.png (248 KB, 423x768) Image search: [Google]
another fuck up.png
248 KB, 423x768
>>45009969
sauron is often called a sorcerer, and too the title necromancer, so he's a sort of wizard, for this purpose
>>
>>45005152
I also love Ar Tonelico OP
>>
>>45013443
God damn why is that Sauron so cute.
>>
>>45007793
the stone is of the tower is held in place by its master's will, and dares not fall until his power is released
>>
>>45012374
Am I going to have to learn moonrunes to play this? You make it sound fun, but if it's not in a romantic language, this is hopeless.
>>
>>45013475
Sauron was a twink
>>
File: Hymmnos_Glyph_Alphabet.png (58 KB, 1324x578) Image search: [Google]
Hymmnos_Glyph_Alphabet.png
58 KB, 1324x578
>>45013647
The games are completely translated.
>>
>>45005152
Phalic powah!

No really. Why do you think most male mages wear long robes? After learning alter self they weren't able to wear pants.
Same for female mages and their humongous tits.
>>
>>45013985
Off to go buy waifu sims, then.
>>
>>45005152
To make it difficult for dummies to annoy them.
>>
>>45007793
The tower reflects magic and is made out of mythril and isolated with a special coatin as well as a grease enchantment and an illusion that shows all the female family members of the attacker getting fucked by the wizard with the said illusion being projected onto the sky for everyone to see.
>>
>>45005182

It's an add-on, basically a gigantic replicator that constantly scans for people doing the right motions and the ingredients they've assembled and then computes a magical outcome.

As their science was capable of reality-warping, alchemy was created to make it harder to really fuck shit up while still letting things advance and prosper.

Of course, because it's actually a reality warping device itself, and the creator doesn't have constant oversight of everything it does, emergent creations that rival proper ones can be done - by a master - such as man-portable fusion bombs (however the blast radius is a little bit uncomfortable).
>>
>>45014092

They're most notable for their music, which varies between a mix of Japanese and the Hymmnos conlang, or just pure Hymmnos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7UUQdITN2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoicX3RPf5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2FVTUhV1oU

...well, there're a lot of great tracks.
>>
>>45005182
nah, medieval-style curled horn.
>>
>>45014961
I just came in this thread to say that I've never played a single iota of the games and have no desire do but the music of those games is amazing, amazing
>>
>>45015837
My personal favorites. Don't know how accurate are the translations though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6XJ_GAlRHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1GtMiKXE_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWKSfdo9DT8
>>
File: pretty sauron.jpg (33 KB, 624x748) Image search: [Google]
pretty sauron.jpg
33 KB, 624x748
>>45013475
He was real pretty before he was real ugly
>>
>>45015882
The entire soundtrack is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46O9ZZasVX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1_RR8wXU_M
>>
>>45015882
Translatorfag here (not one of the ones that you've linked, but I've done Hymmnos translation before).

I prefer AbstractGarden's translations (I feel that they're generally a higher quality and he doesn't directly translate emotion words, which aquagon often does and I find utterly infuriating CONTEXT IS A THING USE IT), but they're both pretty solid.

Also, while we're linking stuff, have some MOTHERFUCKING LORE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR5dJ7dMAoY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCtSg9iWVr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v7PptM_Tyk
>>
File: XmasCheer.jpg (87 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
XmasCheer.jpg
87 KB, 250x250
>>45005152

Before the age of steel, common building materials and techniques could support structures [that weren't literally a pile of stone] of no more than 5 storeys. Isolated towers like OP's could therefore exist only via use of supernatural agency.
>>
Because they will choose the most impractical place for anyone but themselves.
Non-errand wizards are cunts.
>>
>>45005152
Because it`s the closet to heaven those abominations will ever get.

-T. Paladin
>>
>>45017010
But wizards can abuse planar mechanics in order to make sure they end up in heaven when they die if that is where they want to go.
>>
>>45005152
Because towers are fucking awesome that's why!
>>
File: single_ladies.png (724 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
single_ladies.png
724 KB, 500x661
>>45009165
>2016
>not having skeletal whores
>>
>>45020067
b-but where do you stick it in?
>>
File: lewd.png (217 KB, 565x317) Image search: [Google]
lewd.png
217 KB, 565x317
>>45020144
>>
>>45005152
Towers are defensible locations. Many monasterys and such in Europe used to build towers to store their books and valuables in cases of raids. Thus they were associated with robed mofos trying to protect their precious books.

In D&D and most fantasy, the ones that need books the most are wizards so they fill in in this instance.
>>
>>45020195
Was expecting oglaf, was disappointed.
>>
>>45005152
Towers are high. That means that they take you closer to aetherius, so you gather more magicka.
>>
They get a better signal.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.