[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Hey, Anon. Who's your friend?" >"Oh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12
File: 1427387306182.gif (1013 KB, 352x348) Image search: [Google]
1427387306182.gif
1013 KB, 352x348
>"Hey, Anon. Who's your friend?"
>"Oh he's my friend. He's new to Warmachine. He's tired of playing me, so we came to play other people."
>"Have him play me. I'll teach him how to play!"

>Watch friend get wrecked repeatedly by half the game store.
>Leave
>"Hey Anon...Can you sell my minis for me? I don't think I wanna play anymore"

Why do goddamn neckbeards always feel the need to fucking slap their dick on the table!?
>>
>>44962960
>Playing Warmachine
Well there's your problem
>>
It's a competitive game.

I saw recently (and thought it was a joke) that some Canadian schools were removing the concept of "score" from soccer. It was upsetting kids who weren't winning.

If your friend loses at games and gives up rather than striving to improve, that's his fault, not the neckbeards'.
>>
play like you got a pair, boyo

this ain't you grandma's wargame

:^)
>>
>>44963036
>I saw recently (and thought it was a joke) that some Canadian schools were removing the concept of "score" from soccer. It was upsetting kids who weren't winning.
It was a bait thread on /tg/ based on a satirical news site. Of course, most of the fuckheads who posted in the thread fell for it.
>>
>>44963084
People tend to fall for things not too far off from reality.
>>
>>44963036
Thats the dumbest idea I ever heard. Even if you didnt keep the score officially everyone would know who won at the end of the match.
>>44963084
Oh good I was worried for a second.
>>
>>44963126
>People tend to fall for things not too far off from their skewed perceptions of reality
>>
>>44963084
Sometimes I hope dearly that people are actually discussing and stating their opinion on the idea behind the bait.

Then I remember everyone here is a fucking retard.
>>
>>44963084
Figured it was here somewhere.

I read a few replies then tried my hardest to ignore the thread.

Thing is, I can understand the thought process. "Sport is about FUN! It's UNFAIR that some kids aren't having their share of fun!" etc.

I think it's a dick move if the neckbeards were taking advantage of OP's friend's lack of knowledge (which they probably were), but I don't think that's a reason to bawwquit the game.

Learn the game properly, get some experience, have a few games, THEN decide if it's for you or not.
>>
>>44963036
While I agree I think the person at fault here is OP

If OP's goal was to get his friend into this niche, competitive game then he should've taught his friend some strategy and got him up to speed.

Its daunting when you suddenly realize that not only is a hobby inherently expensive but that you're so far on the bottom rung that you probably have a better chance of losing your virginity if you just go to the gym instead.
>>
>>44963036
Canadian here. Can confirm that this is made up American bullshit. We're not europe. I work with children and give them burpees as punishment for so much as looking at me funny. It's only ever the american kids who think I'm joking.
>>
>>44963227

Watch out guys we got a lying badass over here...
>>
>>44962960
Competitive games are for faggots. Cooperative is where it's at.
>>
>>44963277
>not being cooperatively competitive
>>
File: _Sadly_Go_Karts_.jpg (18 KB, 640x367) Image search: [Google]
_Sadly_Go_Karts_.jpg
18 KB, 640x367
>>44963222
>Implying I didn't teach him proper strategies.
>Implying that experience doesn't actually contribute to the game.

My only mistake here was trusting people to at least try to hold back in a non-competition game.
>>
>>44962960

My buddy and i play games like frequently and when we play a new game and he fucks up or the deck fucks him over, he immediately claims 'This fucking game is broken' and he refuses to play it ever again.

Poor dice rolls? Having dice is bullshit for a game with any kind of strategy anyway, bullshit game.

Mage wars, for example, he absolutely loved it when he won his first game, but then he lost two and felt it was probably one of the worst games he has ever played. The problem is I recognized it was making games take too long when you tried to turtle up so I focused on just attack like a crazy right out the gate and he got overwhelmed and he wouldn't come off the concept of building up super defense and complicated strategies even though being aggressive was the better option or having a quick and brutal defense wins while slowly building up something nasty is the better option almost 100% of the time than working on something super complex.

He never changed and refused to and he kept getting crushed and it was always the games fault.

Fuck it, man.
>>
>>44963258
>Whaaaa somebody said something I don't like on the internet
It's just part of my job to keep kids in line when they break rules or try to stirr up trouble. I only ever have to do it once. Doing something their parents should've done for them by telling them "no" isn't being a badass. Hopefully you'll figure that out when you have children.

Listen, I'm non judging all american kids. We get plenty that come up who are just fine. I'm just saying we never get kids who come to campgrounds from up here who don't know how to use a faucet that isn't motion-activated.

More to the point, OP's post, everyone is at fault. Neckbeards are being cunty assholes and probably using cheap tactics and a heavy understanding of the meta without at least trying to explain to newguy what they're doing. Newguy could have shown SOME backbone or interest in improving. You probably should've known better about the neckbeards, or detected that newguy secretly wasn't very invested or interested in the game.
>>
>>44963227
>We're not europe
Europe isn't Europe.
>>
>>44963429
It is, it's just kinda busy getting raped at the moment.
>>
>>44962960
>Friends trying to get me into miniatures game
>They already have minis, offer to let me play a casual little match
>Actually do pretty damn good for not knowing the rules too well
>Rolls are fucking fantastic
>Friend starts getting incredibly salty and starts bitching like a scrub to the point where I'm completely put off from touching it again.

Welp, guess that settles that.
>>
File: yoda.jpg (39 KB, 465x478) Image search: [Google]
yoda.jpg
39 KB, 465x478
>>44963328
Too old for the training he was

Unwilling to believe he was!
>>
>>44962960
Well of course he lost. He's new.

It's only a problem if the people weren't giving him advice on how to improve.
>>
File: 1449732129770.jpg (84 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1449732129770.jpg
84 KB, 960x960
>>44963615
They did the complete opposite of that. They basically acted like smug assholes the entire fucking time. I just wanted a friend to get into the hobby as much as me.
>>
>warhammer club at high school like 10 years ago
>a random girl joins
>proto-neckbeards let her win every game and compliment her non-stop while breathing heavily
>absolute cunts with the rules and the like with new guys that joined

neckbeard adventures
>>
>>44963697
They're at fault but you had it coming.

It was the same when I got into Magic: The Gathering. A friend taught me the basics, I played a few games at the FLGS.

>"Dark Banishing, that goes to the graveyard, I play two Relentless Rats, turn."
>"Sorry, what do those do? Can I read them?"
>"UGH, FINE!"

You can tell they want to win, even against (perhaps especially against) a newbie, but they don't have the patience to put with one.
>>
>>44963400
>Only did it once
>I do it any time the little fucks look at me funny!

No, you are, literally, objectively, lying. You dumbshit.
>>
>>44963353
ya thats classic scrub mentality, your friends and idiot
>>
File: 1444516348904.jpg (32 KB, 479x492) Image search: [Google]
1444516348904.jpg
32 KB, 479x492
>>44962960
>Playing Warmachine
It's like you faggots hate yourself.
>>
>>44962960
Considering Warmahordes is entirely played by people who left Warhammer (40k) because the game isn't balanced is it really surprising they are the competitive assholes?
>>
File: 1424887408550.gif (3 MB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
1424887408550.gif
3 MB, 240x135
>expecting to be good at the game that you are new at.

Why the hell does anyone expect this? The unofficial primer for warmachine is that you lose the first 50 games
>>
>>44964237
What happens if you win your first 50 games?

Should you be worried?
>>
I'm confused. What were the other players supposed to do, let him win?

If you need ass-pats and positive comments and hugs in order to keep you interested in a hobby, then you're not actually interested in that hobby and you're just wasting everyone's time.

I see this ALL THE FUCKING TIME on /tg/. We constantly have to "be nice to the new people". Don't make fun of them, don't be rude, don't tell them to go fucking read a rulebook for answers. No, we have to coddle them and make them feel safe and welcome, because otherwise they might decide that the hobby isn't for them. And we know the worst crime in the world is losing a new player who wasn't interested to begin with.
>>
>>44964315
Is it really that hard to be a friendly person

I'm serious, is it THAT hard?
>>
>>44964315
These are always the best threads because nobody was there to see the circumstances so we all get to paint various strawmen onto whichever side irks us more.

That said, fuck you. Being a bunch of snooty, insular dickheads is exactly what is slowly suffocating all the shit on /tg/. I would say the only tg thing experiencing growth right now is mtg, and its directly because wotc is going out of its fucking way to discourage this kind of neanderthal attitude.
>>
>>44964400
Obviously.
>>
File: 1445298919436.jpg (31 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1445298919436.jpg
31 KB, 1280x720
>>44964315
>Expecting people to be 100% invested in something right at the start.
>>
>>44964400
anon you are on 4chan, you should expect everybody who replies to be an autistic faggot, even you, even me.
>>
>>44964315
>Not being a complete cunt is coddling.

I bet you're an absolute joy to be around.
>>
File: 1451882078598.jpg (101 KB, 620x480) Image search: [Google]
1451882078598.jpg
101 KB, 620x480
>friend gets me into mtg
>have a lot of fun
>get my brother and another friend into it
>eventually convince gf to give it a try
>from what I could tell she was having a decent amount of fun with it
>she actually ends up doing pretty well after getting a hold of the basic rules
>eventually it's me with a couple fatties and her with an army of bears
>she does an all-out attack
>I cast Ætherize
>kill her with fatties before she can build up her army again
>she doesn't throw a fit, but loses any interest in playing from then on
And there goes any chance of having a mutual hobby. God damnit what was I thinking?
>>
>>44964430
People that aren't 100% invested in a game probably aren't even fat and lonely.
Fucking normies can fuck off out of my hobby.
>>
>>44964647
This happened over the course of one day, right?
>>
>>44964647
You played blue. That's your problem.
>>
>>44962960
I mean, Warmachine is a real man's game and all, you know? It's not for sissies and whatnot, the game's book admits that much even.
>>
>>44964692
Enjoy your dead ass hobby then.
>>
>>44964705
I think she was a bit less than a month behind the rest of us. Probably should've mentioned how long it had been.

>>44964712
Pretty much. Fuck blue.
>>
>>44962960
What faction was he playing?
>>
>>44964315
You could always try to go easy a let him get really close a few times, so he feels not so shitty, you don'r need to act like an ape and asert your dominance of plastic toys over people
>>
>>44963036
While yes
> If your friend loses at games and gives up rather than striving to improve, that's his fault, not the neckbeards'.

Thats true, but going easy on someone looking to get into the game, and HEAVEN FORBID letting them even win, is not bad, in fact I would argue its only going to be good for the hobby.

To get into miniature games takes a bit of effort and money, its not a bad decision to play a few games and if you don't enjoy them bail out early. And if this guy is getting creamed every game I doubt he is having much fun.
>>
File: 2dank4u.png (1 MB, 878x738) Image search: [Google]
2dank4u.png
1 MB, 878x738
>>44963491
>>
>>44963491
I thought Europe was busy laughing at US' buffooneries, their tanking IQs, their skyrocketing obesity, their phobia for medicine, science and reason ... that kind of things. But I might be wrong.
>>
>>44964400
Letting a player win and get an air of self confidence only to be destroyed even harder later is not nice. That's being a dick. Beating them and showing them what they did wrong is being nice.
>>
>>44964006
Anon, you know that being literate is a necessary skills for navigating the internet, right?
>>
>>44965652
>Recites exact words written
>Huur, yo not teh literate

Eat a shotgun.
>>
>>44964766
Blue's whole thing is "Yeah, nah. You know this game you want to play? You don't get to play it!"

Never play Blue against a newbie.
>>
>>44963227
>Canadian here. Can confirm that this is made up American bullshit
Get used to hearing it, I still get to hear about how Australia made flat chests illegal.
>>
>>44965792
Isn't there some Aborigine tribe trying to stop people climbing Ayers Rock?
>>
>>44965708
>Recites exact words written
>Only did it once
actual exact words:
>I only ever have to do it once.
Clearly meaning each kid he does it to learns their lesson and he doesn't have to do it to that individual kid again.
>>
File: heh.jpg (57 KB, 295x474) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
57 KB, 295x474
>>44963048
I fucking hate that tagline.
>>
>>44965708
literacy means also having reading comprehension. The fact that you did not understand the statement shows you are lacking.
>>
>>44964315
I wouldn't say to let them win, but definitely don't put out your most brutal army out on the field. I prefer, when i used to war game, play a similar set up to the new army and help them with strategy. I have no need to defeat a new comer and gladly offer them advice how to beat my army. Teaching them is different than coddling.

Also: BE FUCKING DECENT TO PEOPLE AT THE VERY LEAST. PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD BE OSTRACIZED FROM OPEN PLAY TABLES.
>>
>>44964237
I think it's more of a...
>Expecting to have fun losing and learning anything
problem in Warmachine.

It takes a lot of models and abilities to play fifty points and the power levels of everything even out the best at fifty.
50 pts is a shitton of models for something labeled a Skirmish wargame. So it's a lot of your army you have to memorize and a lot of your opponents force that you will have to learn as well.

This is all made worse when your opponent does not give you a rundown of what their army does or is geared towards.

All in all... Warmachine just sucks to start out. Especially if there is no one at the same level as you when you do.
>>
>>44966247
What would be a good wargame to start out with?
>>
>>44965569
That literally has nothing to do with being friendly with someone
>>
>>44963048
I have balls you lack balls, balls balls testicles and balls.
>>
>>44962960
You're kind of a jerk for not making sure the others in the game store aren't going easier on him.

The game store players are jerks for not pulling their punches and giving helpful advice to the friend, so even if he still lost he would've at least gained something from the experience.

I loved my first LGS because there was this one nice guy who was willing to let me control a small amount of his army to help teach me how to play. When I tried playing a game on my own for the first time, and my opponent and a guy watching were just telling me what I should do, he rolled up and told them that they should ask what I want to do first, and then tell me how to do it, otherwise I wouldn't learn how to play on my own.
>>
>>44966247
>50 pts is a shitton of models for something labeled a Skirmish wargame
I honestly don't know who labels it a skirmish game. PP sure doesn't seem to. Even back in the earliest days of first edition about 30 models per side have been the norm.
>>
>>44962960
IT BECAUSE YOU GOTTA PLAY LIKE YOU GOTTA PAIR AND SMASH NEW PLAYERS BECUASE THAT IS HOW WE ROLL IT IS SUPER METAL.

The totally cringeworthy Page 5 has enabled so many That Guys
>>
>>44963850
Okay but that's fucking bull shit.
Yes there is a certain level of knowledge required before your ready to play a game. The basics, for magic this is play structure and actually knowing how to play cards.

It's an entirely different thing to be expected to know every single non core rule in a game, this is less of a matter for war games where models tend to just have various core rules on them like varying armors with a few models having unique rules, and more for card game where EVERY SINGLE CARD has unique rules on them for the most part, yes they might have things like (flying) which you should know as it's a basic rule, you probably should know special set rules as well such as (landfall) since they come up so much, but not every one who plays is going to know what dark banishing does.

People who expect that and get pissy about the other player wanting to know why something happened the way it did in innocence rather than trying to screw them over, in a non-competitive game at that are fucking dicks.
>>
>>44968061
It was called because anything that wasn't gw scale is called skirmish.
>>
>>44968182
>PLAY LIKE YOU GOTTA PAIR

Do we have any mocking neckbeard/angry kid image macros with that tagline? I'd have thought /tg/ must have made a few over the years.
>>
I honestly think I can't go easy on a person. I am a terrible liar so when I intentionally play bad or ignore an obvious move I feel like I am being blatant about it and patronizing whoever I am playing against. And no one likes to be patronized. So best I can do in those situation is some sort of handicap like less life, smaller army, a free turn for the newbie.
>>
>>44966621
I would recommend X-wing, pre painted ships, simple rules, and a lot of customization options as well as a growing player base
>>
>>44969152

Same here. I don't mind playing uphill, but playing deliberately shittily (unless it's strictly for RP reasons) is tricky at best. I always feel like it runs the risk of misleading people trying to learn too, since they might think what I'm doing is actually good and try to imitate it.
>>
>>44969144
I haven't heard that tag-line in real life in my entire 10 years of playing this game. It's a dumb line and I can't imagine someone who honestly quotes it with sincerity.
>>
>>44966621

I second the >>44969158 recommendation.

XWing has every ship with its own statblock and modifiers to customize. You can get your combo rocks off and go to town with building stuff.

Once you get an eye for tactics and pacing, you can branch out and play other games much easier.
>>
>>44964315
Gongard spotted
>>
>>44969152
>>44969278
What about playing as you would, but also aiding the other player?

I remember hearing something about Japanese traditional games like Go, "tricking" people is considered foul play. You're supposed to be honest, not try to trap people in a "trick question" kind of way.

So just move your units forward or whatever, let them take their turn, say something like, "Well, you could do that, but then my units can ambush yours, is that what you want?"

Just for the first game or two.
>>
>>44969738
Doesn't work anymore in Warmachine.

The lists I feel forced to bring on casual haberdashery day straight up destroy most things in most battleboxes.

I could coach them, but I'd feel like I'd just make the helplessness feel harsher.
>>
>>44964250
I won a lot of my first games, but I did a lot of homework before my first game and I already had 13 years of tabletop gaming expirience before switching to wmh
>>
>>44966219
I try to stay out of the casual pool in my meta. Last time I wandered out I played one of the other girls, she had Rhan I was tinkering with Scaverous. She feated turn one, did not murder Scaverous, barely put any damage on DJ. Next turn 2 biles took out 3/4 of her list. I felt bad. But at the same time, damn what a terrible match up she should have killed me or my army.
>>
>>44969144
Thats the best thing to say to your opponent if you want to goad them into something dumb tho
>>
>>44962960
Yeah warmachine player tend to be like that go for Infinity we are a more relaxed crowd.
>>
>>44965517
Too busy to avoid being raped apparently
>>
File: image_16.jpg (63 KB, 553x585) Image search: [Google]
image_16.jpg
63 KB, 553x585
>>44964714
Fucking hell
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.