[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I'm just playing my character"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: Martin_Shkreli__3449094b.jpg (44 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Martin_Shkreli__3449094b.jpg
44 KB, 620x387
"I'm just playing my character"
>>
Valid.
>>
If you have a problem with the way a character acts, why are they even in the party?
>>
>>44859547

I'm not really part of the party, see. I'm a Raistlin clone who just kinda happens to be travelling with the group as long as they further my ends...
>>
File: 1452484645868.png (8 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1452484645868.png
8 KB, 380x380
That's fair. Only autists would get that upset over someone *GASP* actually roleplaying.
>>
My character just happens to have a hatred for your character's race/class/archetype/gender. It's all here in my backstory and is certainly not just an excuse to be a fagmaster to the rest of the party.
>>
File: weird al weird orb.gif (2 MB, 375x276) Image search: [Google]
weird al weird orb.gif
2 MB, 375x276
If you have chosen to play a character that makes the game less fun for everyone else, you're an asshole. Play a different character. You'll need to, after your current character gets executed in the town square for the crimes he's committed. Act like an asshole, everyone treats you accordingly.
>>
>>44859502

Ah, the "it's a legitimate strategy" of role-playing.

It is technically correct, the best kind of correct to some people, but nobody ever needs to say this unless they know they're being a fucking dick.
>>
File: AWAY.jpg (258 KB, 2715x2385) Image search: [Google]
AWAY.jpg
258 KB, 2715x2385
Hey it's not me being disruptive, unhelpful and outright hostile to the rest of the party, I'm just playing my character!
>>
>>44859567
Spoken like a true "That guy who thinks he falls into that one-in-a-million category of people who can pull off acting like a jerk without making everyone hate them."
>>
>>44859502
Reminds me of the story of the chaotic party
>>
>>44859567
Your joke is not very funny.
>>
>>44859502
>part of your standard, everyday adventuring group
>kill a bunch of orphans and rape the bodies
>lol it's just what my character would do

This is usually the type of reasoning retards use. Sure some actions might fit your character, but does your character fit the story?
>>
>>44859502
If it remains a problem despite this statement, then the character is the problem and the GM should not have allowed it.
>>
>>44859565
Don't meant to be rude, but you kind of sound like a that guy.
>>
It depend how it's handled. Sometimes, a character can do something which goes against the flow of the game. Played well, it can add some interesting drama.

However it cannot and should not be used as an excuse to be a dick at every opportunity.
>>
>>44859631
Read a story once about an anon who played an orc hater. He and the dorf became bros over their mutal warcrimes on Orcs. One day anon gets knocked over cliff by something. Dorf bro saves him, but sees anons half-orc face for the first time. Dorf drops his ass.
>>
>>44860063
>And the GM should not have allowed it
Depends on the character. If their character concept is pitched in such a way that there would be obvious issues (overused example would be a CE character in a party of LG PCs), then yeah, DM probably should have just veto'd it. That being said, unless you as the player didn't know this was the case, you shouldn't be pitching a concept that out of place to begin with.

Otherwise though, DM can't see the future. Don't blame them for your inability or unwillingness to adjust your behavior based on the group you're with.
>>
>>44859502
>character is evil and greedy
>DM says I cannot murder a merchant for their money because "that's not right"
>>
>>44860328

Why not just go into a goblin hole and kill them for THEIR money? Nobody complains about that most of the time.
>>
>>44860048
>the story

RPGs aren't novels. The story is something the players and the GM make.
>>
>>44860134
That ending made me sad. Was hoping for some of dat sweet character development
>>
>Character lights a cigarette and drinks unpasteurized milk
>GMMMMM he's being edgy!
>Strictly against dairy regulation in my backstory
>>
>>44859502
Said every henchmen, soldier and thug. Every time.
>>
>>44860566
Because goblins fight back.
>>
>>44859502

I call this the RPG Nuremburg defense. "It's just what my character would doooo!"

Yeah, well who made that character, huh? Who's responsible for deciding the kind of things he would do?
>>
>>44860328
you're right
>>44860566
you're wrong

it's GM's work to make a scenario that matches players preferences. If someone doesn't have fun when i'm a GM, it's my fault, not theirs.
>>
File: 1425965646185.jpg (17 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
1425965646185.jpg
17 KB, 350x277
>>44859502
>"I'm just playing my character"
>Me too
And then just murder the guy, what's the big deal?
>>
>>44859502
Then, he get his face ripped off by the Chaotic Neutral Barbarian that is pretty cool, but prey on this kind of attitude because of it, "CN". And as a DM I just say "well, he was just playing his character too."
That Guys be like hating us.
>>
>>44860700
>lights a cigarette and drinks unpasteurized milk

Honestly, that sounds pretty interesting. If someone's gone through the trouble of outlining their character's opinion on the dairy industry, I feel like I might as well hear him out. It could turn out pretty well.

Also, I don't think I've seen a PC smoke cigarettes in a game. It's usually just weed and alcohol.
>>
>>44860757
No, you are treating yourself like a slave.

Its the players job to make characters that fit the game the GM wants to run. If the GM does not want evil murderers in his party then that is too bad and they have to make something else.
>>
>>44860633
>lol it's not a book, it doesn't have to make sense!

You're probably the kind of person that gets angry when the DM arrests the part for committing mass murder
>>
>>44859502
This is why I have the group decide what I play. I can't trust myself.
>>
>>44860757
Yeah, I don't know why the DM let me play an evil character to begin with.

He forces me to be the good guy when I openly want to just steal everyone's money.
>>
>>44860757
>>44860820
You're both right and wrong. The game shouldn't work like "Hey, just show up here at 3 and we'll start playing!" Both sides should say, "Hey, I want to do this with the world you're playing in" and "Hey, I want to play this character." If these don't line up, you should talk and compromise, not just shit at each other hoping the other will back down
>>
>>44860858
>the DM arrests the part for committing mass murder

That's not a story feature, that's a setting feature. And what kind of mass murder? If you're off killing monsters, heretics, and foreigners a kingdom is very unlikely to care.
>>
>>44859999
Quads speak only truths.
>>
>>44860952
>implying setting is not an intrinsic feature of a story

You aren't just playing in a vacuum, player actions should have an effect on the setting, thus driving the story
>>
>>44860890
The GM doesn't always know how a character will end up until they hit the table.
I have pulled players aside and told them "Hey, man, the character you are playing isn't the kind I am looking for this game, so we need to find a middle ground".
I don't have a problem with not nice characters, but you can be *insert thing* without it being so grandiose that it takes over all your interactions. Like if you have a problem with elves, why is your character in a group with one?
>>
>>44859502
>tfw its been established my literal troll character has an absolutely batshit insane unwarranted hatred of sheep

Yes, he is going to try and smash the fluffies. Maybe the dwarf who can talk him out of it shouldn't currently be trying to fuck the sheep and instead be trying to steer the angry troll away.
>>
>>44861004
The players or the setting act.
Then the setting or the players react.
The actions and reactions of the players create the role-playing game's story.

Player characters always fit the story because they create it.
Player characters might not always fit the setting because the don't create it.

Thus "not fitting in with the story" is inconsequential since the only contexts that matter are the setting and the character itself.
>>
>>44859502
I had my party get mad at me for taking a hit from a party member over an enemy NPC after said NPC was gauging said character into attacking him and the whole party was trying to understand where the character was coming from, but failing to win him over.

Apparently trying to be in character and heroic in character is bad if it makes party members look bad.
>>
"It's what my character would do!" or "I'm just playing my character!" are phrases that do not need to be said if you're actually playing a character.

Because if you're doing it right, you're met with the GM and other players going "Yeah, I can see that happening." Instead of "What the fuck? Why would you do that?"
>>
>>44861013

It's GM's job to craft enjoyable experiences, like a game designer.
A moment in wich all players are pointing their guns at each other is quite enjoyable, hell, it's actually pretty badass.
Also, if player is unable to make psychologically believable character, maybe they shouldn't be playing any role play, just plain strategic grid encounters.
>>
>>44861326
I dunno some things people just want to get mad at even if it is in character for the character.
My group is pretty bad about it since they want everything to fall into a trope or some bullshit so if your character doesn't follow the very narrow line they have envisioned, they get upset.

I hate my current group and only stick because the GM is a cool guy and has been having to deal with them for a long time and really wants to finish his story.
>>
>>44859502
We also do by kickign your sorry ass out of our group for being a cunt, all this incharacter of course, you're free of rolling another PC
>>
>>44861350
>A moment in wich all players are pointing their guns at each other is quite enjoyable, hell, it's actually pretty badass.
Premise: not the guy you were quoting
In my opinion, while it may be badass, the players going at each other's throats is pretty bad, because PvP is a very, Very common group killer.
If the player seriously get into it and don't approach it maturely -which often happens- one will then insult the other because he killed his character over something that could even be trivial.
>>
>>44861391
>If the player seriously get into it and don't approach it maturely -which often happens- one will then insult the other because he killed his character over something that could even be trivial.

I wonder why it's so hard for people to be able to just accepting of PvP. Like I've had issues in my game because of an instance of PvP which came out with no real negative consequences and all the characters grew, but later in the game players were complaining as if one of the players were actively trying to ruing the game because he was on the bad side of the pvp situation.
>>
>>44861391
Well, I have to agree.

I was talking more about a situation in which GM gives each player different "secret intel" before the game begins. For instance, a scrap of paper which reads
"there is a spy amongst your group, the science department wants him dead" etc etc

Also, i'm blessed enough that i don't have "immature players" problem.
>>
>>44861480
Some people get really invested into the game, I guess. I haven't had this experience yet.

Maybe it's because we've never been on the losing side in a PvP scenario? I feel I would understand them better if I had gone through what they have.

>>44861491
>Also, i'm blessed enough that i don't have "immature players" problem.
Ah, thank God for that!
>>
>>44861570
>Maybe it's because we've never been on the losing side in a PvP scenario? I feel I would understand them better if I had gone through what they have.
Thing s the player that everyone was mad at was on the losing side, he even made some obvious mistakes to ensure that the other side would win while still doing a good amount of damage to the party.
It's like they were mad at him just for being open to the idea if being a bad guy in that moment.
>>
>>44861612
My friend once made us a game, in wich everyone of us (3 people) was a serial killer. I played with them for a month, twice a week, till i was outsmarted and killed in the most awesome way.

We liked breaking a 4-th wall a lot in this one. Fucking guy used his friend to call me on the phone mid-play and feed me fake information. Shit was cash.
>>
>>44859565
That Guy detected. GTFO.
>>
>>44861753
That sounds awesome. Getting outplayed with creative play like that is one of my favorite things to see.
>>
>>44859502
Ok. Next time I won't even try cover your ass next time you run into a killing zone because you play a lolrandom berserker.
>>
>>44860095
>>44861803

Fairly certain he is lampooning people that use that kind of excuse
>>
>>44861013
Okay, that's basically what I said >>44860890
>>
I did this but in the opposite direction. Like spending all my money on the party and keeping the same base equipment I started with. The GM had to forcibly upgrade my equipment.
>>
>>44859502
Fucking Christ I know this all too well

He was a /v/irgin too, so it only made it worse.
>>
>>44860810
Every character I've ever played has been either a cigarette or cigarillo smoker, sometimes against my will. The table just assumes I'm 100% in character when I light up a cigarette.
>>
File: 1332209625955.png (33 KB, 715x324) Image search: [Google]
1332209625955.png
33 KB, 715x324
>>44860134
>>
>>44859502
If you made a character who is disruptive to the group, you will have to reroll.

I'm sorry, it's just what my DM would do.
>>
>>44863450
>slaughter orcs on principle
>be secretly half-orc

That has some pretty deep and interesting implications, actually. I like it.
>>
So /tg/, to what extent is it ok to mess with the party for character reasons?
>>
I had a bit of a moral dilemma as my cleric of Syrul. Worshipping a goddess of lies occasionally puts his ends at odds of the party's. Basically it was me deciding whether or not he should reveal the stash of gems he discovered, or just keep it to himself.

I ended up deciding to test his slight-of-hand abilities and try and just pocket them without the party noticing. OoC they knew what was happening, and I felt kinda shitty but I think it was what he would have done. He succeeded, but I guess I would have been fine if he had failed. It was kinda a turning point for his development as it was the first "bad" thing he's done.
>>
>>44863849
To the extent that you agreed OOC with the party.

If you pull this shit without OOC agreement first, you are a dick who is ruining the social contract of your group, and the reason evil and chaotic characters are outright banned for so many DMs
>>
>>44859502
>Oh, no doubt the man would suggest there were mitigating circumstances, that he had an unhappy childhood or was driven by Compulsive Well-Poisoning Disorder. But I have a compulsion to behead cowardly murderers
>>
Currently being a that guy right now.

rouge/Assassin Kenku with the binder feat (Niberious, of course,) and a splash of artificer.

I spend my days killing people who are rich, acting like them and making VERY poor decisions with my investments, and then shifting back to another form in a couple of weeks so no one has any suspicion. Has no qualms about hurting/killing/kidnapping if the money is good.

His nature betrays him though. Every character has steel blue eyes that he has, which is a flaw, and he is a kleptomaniac. Recently got the shit punched out of him for attempting to steal the head of something large the barbarian killed because it was worth something. Ended up setting for the heart instead, begrudgingly.

I've made it clear with the group that I'm basically waiting for this guy to cross the wrong organization and to be wiped from the fucking map, which as this rate will probably the church since Mimicry and shape shift doesn't hide the fact this dude is as evil as all fucking get out. They just have to FIND him first.
>>
>>44859502
"So am I. My character thinks you're (untrustworthy and won't associate with you anymore/a criminal who needs to be turned over to the proper authorities/a monster who needs to be put down/insert as appropriate)."
>>
>>44863382
If he's a /v/irgin, that means you gotta get him used to tabletop and how it's different from videogames. A lot of people have trouble with that difference.
>>
>>44861183
You are just playing with words.
>>
>>44864083
Why the hell did you decide to play a cleric of lies in the first place? Did you clear it with the group, at least?
>>
>>44859502
>"I'm just shitposting."
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.